Was it a penalty?

Macern

Pee pee pants
Not wrong to give a pen. Debatable definitely, one of those scenarios where either decision wouldn’t be wrong. Although the one on Kane was definitely a pen. Those complaining are just bitter fans of the Danish NT.

Denis79

Not wrong to give a pen. Debatable definitely, one of those scenarios where either decision wouldn’t be wrong. Although the one on Kane was definitely a pen. Those complaining are just bitter fans of the Danish NT.
Soft penalty but Kane should have had one 100%, so it evens out.

Macern

Pee pee pants
It would be bad if that was called in a blowout game during a league season but you can't ever call that in extra time of a Euros semifinal that's tied...

If the game was played anywhere else I don't think it gets given at all either. The stage was too big for this ref.

Italy will take advantage of the controversy too in the final, no doubt that they'll dive inside the box at every opportunity.
When do they not do that though, they would regardless.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Kane fouled an opponent before his penalty incident. It doesn't matter if he was then fouled, it's not a penalty.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Dive. England were diving all over the place. The desperation was sad to see. Some of the best in the world resorting to that.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Never a penalty. Sterling was going to ground the entire way before any “contact” was ever made which is hard to claim occurred anyways. I found it very bizarre the ref wasn’t given instructions to check the monitor screen because at that point, he would have overturned it...no ref would see a call they made like that and come away watching it not wanting to correct themselves.

on the bright side, if there was one thing that would Unite English/EPL fans with VAR - it’s a moment like this that propelled them to a victory and a place into the finals. You most definitely won’t be hearing a peep from this certain nation which otherwise has been so divided and critical against it :nervous::wenger:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wasn't a foul imo, mistake by the ref.
I'd need to see it again. My point was more that the people saying it was a foul on Kane are missing the point, they should be arguing that he didn't commit a foul first.

Canuckred64

In today's game it's a penalty, you feel contact you go down. VAR is never going to over rule it because there was contact, however slight.

Castia

Not for me in all honesty it was soft

Sometimes you need a bit of luck though.

UnitedRepublic

It wasn’t a dive clear contact but It was cheap thats not a foul outside of the penalty area but you can’t call it a dive because the Danish player catches Sterling with his thigh hip and that makes Sterling fall and lose his grip. It’s a pen but It’s not a pen if the ref doesn’t want it to be a pen if you know what I’m saying.

The Henderson challange looked more a pen but they never showed any replays of that situation.

SAFMUTD

Not even close to being a penalty, but on the other hand the one over Kane was and it wasnt called.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not a chance it was a pen. Maehle didn't touch him at all, Sterling then starts dropping, and then there's a hip to hip contact with Jensen I think which is never any sort of pen and it wasn't a barge at all either. Never a foul in a million years, but he was surrounded so easy enough to fool the ref, VAR a shambles though that they changed the rules to protect the refs rather than make the right choice.

kerryman

In today's game it's a penalty, you feel contact you go down. VAR is never going to over rule it because there was contact, however slight.
Contact is allowed, it's a contact sport. This was not a penalty, slightest contact if any at all, was not a foul. There is a huge difference between contact and a foul.

Cman

Hadn’t seen the angle that Kevin Doyle commented on. Still don’t think it’s a penalty but there was a touch so I can understand VAR not overturning the decision.
I wonder how England fans would respond if they lose the final by a penalty as soft as that though by hey that’s football, You win some you lose some.

Canuckred64

Contact is allowed, it's a contact sport. This was not a penalty, slightest contact if any at all, was not a foul. There is a huge difference between contact and a foul.
You should be right, but unfortunately if there is contact and the player goes down, it's usually a foul. I don't like it, but the players are looking for the easy foul. It's just a sign of the modern game.

lex talionis

Definitely not a penalty. One can understand how the referee in real time got conned, but the whole point of VAR is to clean up barking clown decisions like this one.

rollingstoned1

Clear dive, people who keep saying contact was enough both haven't played the game enough or don't know the rules. Every time there is contact isn't a case for a foul or a pen. It's just a shame it needed this decision to decide a euro sf.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Hadn’t seen the angle that Kevin Doyle commented on. Still don’t think it’s a penalty but there was a touch so I can understand VAR not overturning the decision.
I wonder how England fans would respond if they lose the final by a penalty as soft as that though by hey that’s football, You win some you lose some.
Fair play if they just say yeah it's a dive, but hey no complain. Cant blame them.

But many taking the rawkish view and develop a 100 new angle on why it wasnt a dive. Just like rawk trying to justify suarez biting. Cringey

Classical Mechanic

If England hadn’t created a proper chance in 120 minutes, had only 6 shots in 120 minutes and not even one from inside the box, had 42% possession and scored from a free kick won from a dive then I wouldn’t feel hard done by if they had lost.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
50/50 to me. There was a contact which lead to the fall, but one could argue the defenders didn't make any illegal challenge or clear foul there, they are just competing for space and football is not a no contact sport afterall.

This is actually similar to many Daniel James fall moment where he was outmuscled by opponents and ref normally wouldn't give a foul, but sometimes might.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Never a penalty in my opinion. Not all contact should result in a foul.

If we start giving penalties for things like that then it’s going to ruin the game even more.

I was certain the referee was going to overturn the decision after watching VAR, couldn’t believe it when he didn’t.

England fully deserved to win, but the Danes must be pissed to lose the match in that way.

Nickelodeon

I don’t understand why English fans and most of the media not accepting that this was a dive. The random justifications on how it was “soft” or not a “clear and obvious error” are just downright pathetic.

Accept it. It was lucky but so what. So many games are won on questionable calls. But the ref and VAR need to be challenged on this. This was absolutely shambolic.

Steamboat Willy

No Way. If my kid dived like that in a game, I would be ashamed…. The only ones who supports this decision in the whole fecking world, is the english.

that being said, England was the better team, but the way they ended up winning was horrible. Had it been the other way around we would problably be having a war with Holland right now….

van Persie

Of course it wasn't a penalty. He was seeking it. No one who's nuts dropped would defend it

Kopral Jono

Clear penalty. The same way the foul leading up to Denmark's goal was a clear foul committed by Shaw. Until this very second I don't get what the fuss is all about.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Clear penalty. He only "dived" out of fear of being violently taken out. That barge could have dislocated his hip.

Murray3007

Clear Dive, anyone who thinks other wise are just kidding themselfs, our players here do the same, if Uefa/Fifa really wanted to cut it out the could but they don't so we just need to put up with it, the biggest thing is there is 2 balls on the pitch which should have meant the game was stopped anyway.