Was it a penalty?

padzilla

Hipster
Referees are now literally getting suspended for not giving penalties against us. Some things never change...

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Clear penalty, the bigger question should be why are GKs allowed to get away with this most of the time

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Quite similar to the debate when Neuer almost decapitated Higuain in the 2014 final.

Fully Fledged

Not really surprising, especially when it comes to some of the bigger teams whether it is for them or against them. It gives eyeballs, clicks to the media/pundits to harp on.

Even if we had not, it doesn't really doesn't help the media to make us out to be victims of not getting a call. It plays better the smaller team got a bad call that cost them against the big bad United. And it will continue to play on as the week goes on and they talk about the game against Spurs, United were lucky last week due to the officiating. Refs shouldn't be making up for mistakes from previous incidents but, you can see it coming soon enough.

They'll show this about half a dozen times in the build up.

ManUnitedCanuck

I think most would agree it’s a pen if they look at it as a singular incident.

The problem is we have precedent to say it’s not a penalty, based on numerous actions that are similar to this that have not been given. For the PGMOL to come out like that right after the match is interesting, because I’d like to hear an explanation as to why they felt the need to do so when they can be shown many similar incidents where no comments were made.

For some odd reason keepers have been able to be out of control and clatter players after they have played with ball with no consequences, and that has been pretty consistent for some time.

Sylar

The refs have been punished

I am now expecting this and similar to be a penalty in every game going forward

Strelok

If he hadn't been so late I would have waved it away too. It's not a 'you can't go for the ball in that situation' foul it's a 'you were nowhere near the ball and that's on you' foul.
Then tell me why the one against Antony was not a pen? The keeper was also very late and even kicked his leg ffs. Or the zillion similar incidents have happened in the last 50 years of football.

FA must be very careful with this one otherwise they'll open a paradox they simply couldn't handle. And tbh it's quite weird for me to see a ref from the FA even talked about a should-have-been pen or a mistake let alone apologise for not giving a pen. I don't think I've seen that tbh. Usually they just simply stay quiet.

Football might turn into a sport where instead of asking how good on the ball, how fast a new signing is all we ask is how tall he is. That lad? 7 feet? Meh. We won't spend +100m on a striker but a 8 feet keeper.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Should be a penalty but very seldom is one. Keepers are really only at fault if they foul the player and impede him. Sá didn't impede Antony as Antony had already lobbed the ball over him. Onana clattered Kalajdzic after he had headed the ball and didn't stop a goal scoring opportunity.

FerociousCorgis

i mean the only way to really argue it wasnt a penalty is essentially arguing that they dont call these more like they should, not that it isnt what should be considered a foul. You can talk about keepers needing extra protection, but in no way does that mean they should be able to come out, not get close to the balls, and take the opposition player out.

JustinC00

No. Ball was already headed and the player he went into wasn't even the player that headed the ball. But if you are gonna say that's a penalty than Antony should have been awarded a penalty earlier in the game.

Last edited:

PieCrust

When I watched it live and even on the repalys during the match, I thought it was a stone cold penalty.

Afterwards, I look at it and I see a GK make a poorly timed challenge after the Wolves player has already headed the ball who is then pushed a bit by his own player before being cleaned out by the GK. Is that a penalty? I don't know any more. I think had Onana clattered in prior to the heading attempt that's a more clear call but afterwards, it becomes the area of giving GK's the grace to make a challenge which has been around for decades, even though it's a foul. I think the issue is more deeply rooted in historically not calling anything (rarely) on a GK making a challenge.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
i mean the only way to really argue it wasnt a penalty is essentially arguing that they dont call these more like they should, not that it isnt what should be considered a foul. You can talk about keepers needing extra protection, but in no way does that mean they should be able to come out, not get close to the balls, and take the opposition player out.
But that's a perfectly fair argument. If, in the vast majority of incidents, referees have not called those as penalties, then in practice they aren't penalties and the laws of the game would need to be updated to make them so.

The laws of the game haven't changed in relation to those sorts of incidents, so it's not a penalty.

As I said in an earlier comment, you'd probably see keepers being awarded a free kick in those situations far more often than you'd see a penalty being awarded to the attacking side.

I'm amazed at how many people seem to think that not only was it a penalty, but it was, in fact, a stone wall penalty with no doubt whatsoever in their mind about that. We see goalkeepers clattering players after the ball has been played all of the time with no penalty awarded. We've seen goalkeepers literally punch players in the head trying to clear a ball. Up until last night, it was just seen as part of the game.

The fact that Antony was taken out (albeit with less impact) by the Wolves keeper in the very same match with no comment says it all.

90 + 5min

What two incidents do you think United should have had pens for?
First half, 37.36, Rashford heads ball towards goal which hits Semedos arm/hand and blocks it from going into goal. VAR check. No penalty and no red card.

Second half, 52.56 Antony gets before Jose Sa to the ball and lobs him. After that Jose Sa catches Antony when ball was in the air that Dawson heads away. Not that "hard" as Onana did but that doesn't matter.

Every time ManUtd get decision for it is being talked about it for weeks. When we get decisions against us it is just being sweept under the rug. I wonder why that is? I really wonder why that is.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Very slight deflection so I was screaming no pen fully expecting the ref to give it anyway..... Kudos to be honest, but Redcafe and media gon Redcafe and media, and consequently we'll get shafted for the foreseeable
Watched it on tiktok on my phone and don’t see Onana touching the ball at all. I’ll get a go on the laptop
Very slight deflection so I was screaming no pen fully expecting the ref to give it anyway..... Kudos to be honest, but Redcafe and media gon Redcafe and media, and consequently we'll get shafted for the foreseeable
I dont see the contact on the ball at all, he jumps with his hands back and if any contact is made with the ball its after the player has headed it and Onana has cleaned out the other player. Its one of those decisions that could go either way and luckily for us we got away with it, I wouldnt have any complaints if it was given though.

JustinC00

Stonewall pen ….if that had been up the other end we’d have all been screaming penalty 100%
Happened to Antony earlier in the match and no one was screaming for a penalty. Where is the media and Jon Moss on that one? Oh wait..... ABU

Never a penalty.

shockingly, many posters seem to be gutted it wasn't.
Keep in mind there are still a lot of DDG supporters on here and also a decent amount of people that don't even support us. A lot of them were the same people that were quickly on here saying how shite Onana was after the Lens goal from Dalot's error.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
How so? Clear penalty and gks should not be allowed to get away with it like they are doing now
I think you need to read my original post again. “Bigger question is why are GKs allowed to get away with this most of the time”

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Watched it on tiktok on my phone and don’t see Onana touching the ball at all. I’ll get a go on the laptop

I dont see the contact on the ball at all, he jumps with his hands back and if any contact is made with the ball its after the player has headed it and Onana has cleaned out the other player. Its one of those decisions that could go either way and luckily for us we got away with it, I wouldnt have any complaints if it was given though.
After he has headed it, before the collision

Edit: there has been apologies and refs getting suspended... at this point I'm like, what do I know? it's all a bit of a shambles

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think you need to read my original post again. “Bigger question is why are GKs allowed to get away with this most of the time”
If it's a clear penalty, the question wouldn't need to be asked. That's why it's a contradiction.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Except it clearly isn't, because they're barely (if ever) given. As you stated in your initial post.

Glad we cleared that up.
Alright, then its not a clear penalty since we are in Red Cafe.
Cheers

RuudTom83

To suspend the refs is bonkers...Webb is far to concerned with social media.

Is it actually the on field ref/linesmen that have been demoted for the upcoming weekend or is it the VAR team? hard to blame the ref if the VAR guys didn't advise him to take another look.

Fully Fledged

To suspend the refs is bonkers...Webb is far to concerned with social media.

Is it actually the on field ref/linesmen that have been demoted for the upcoming weekend or is it the VAR team? hard to blame the ref if the VAR guys didn't advise him to take another look.
Both.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal had one given in their favour a couple of years ago. Goalie tookout Lacazette after he took(missed) the shot.

ManUnitedCanuck

First half, 37.36, Rashford heads ball towards goal which hits Semedos arm/hand and blocks it from going into goal. VAR check. No penalty and no red card.

Second half, 52.56 Antony gets before Jose Sa to the ball and lobs him. After that Jose Sa catches Antony when ball was in the air that Dawson heads away. Not that "hard" as Onana did but that doesn't matter.

Every time ManUtd get decision for it is being talked about it for weeks. When we get decisions against us it is just being sweept under the rug. I wonder why that is? I really wonder why that is.
I can’t agree with the handball, his hands are in tight to his body.

The Antony one, I’ll need to rematch but those are never given…if the player plays the ball they seem to let keepers be out of control. Why it’s strange there is a blow up on the Onana situation. I do believe it’s a foul but since they have set a precedent that it is not, it’s strange that they came out straight away to make a statement.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I see keepers clatter into players all the time at corners without a pen being given.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So 2 players jump for a ball. Neither of them get it. Another player does and heads it wide and people are asking if it's a penalty? Why would it be a penalty? Neither of them got the ball. Should we also ask that if the ball went in then it should be a foul on the Wolves player who got between Onana and the guy who headed it?

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
So 2 players jump for a ball. Neither of them get it. Another player does and heads it wide and people are asking if it's a penalty? Why would it be a penalty? Neither of them got the ball. Should we also ask that if the ball went in then it should be a foul on the Wolves player who got between Onana and the guy who headed it?
One of those players who didn't get the ball clattered into the other in a wreckless manner fouling him though. Big difference .

Anustart89

Referees are now literally getting suspended for not giving penalties against us. Some things never change...
It's so obvious that there would be nowhere near this level of outrage if that had been the other way around, there would have been no PGMOL apology and the referees would not have been suspended for the next gameweek.