g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Was it a penalty?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Defo pen, worrying thing is that Onana didn’t think it was a pen, hopefully that’s just for the cameras and behind the scenes he believes it was because he thinks he will get away with them every game.
He will know that he deflected the ball before contact.... Even if loads on Redcafe don't. I mean, I saw it in the VAR video at the time but here we are still arguing over it.....

Football is well and truly back eh!

Danger5

Clear penalty. Those saying no are either indulging in whataboutery or just do not understand the rules.

Both Moss and Webb have come out and apologised for the decision. Wolves were robbed, it was a pen, let's move on!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sa is in the process of trying ot make a save, there was also minimal contact - Onana clatters his arms/whole body into a player while challenging for the ball.
Onana is also in the process of making a save and he didn't even clatter into the player who headed the ball.

Also small contact to feet is enough to bring down the player.

Sa incident today, Ramsdale vs Bruno last season, Spurs GK vs Brentford all clattered into player after the ball was played, there are many more incidents like this.

GK are protected inside the box, that rule should be changed. Only reason there is even outrage is because it's at the last min of the game.

Jordan_mufc

If the attacker was shooting and the defender went to slide and block the ball in front and the strikers follow-through took him into the defender it wouldn't be a foul no.

Jose Sa is trying to make the save/block the ball - Onana was just challenging for the ball, there's difference
Mmm I see what you're saying but I don't think it makes any difference. Sa was nowhere near the ball so you could argue that he was challenging for it too. Or argue that Onana was trying to make a save.

The fact that we are having this convo shows that it's not as clear as day as some are making out

Rossa

You're right. I had to read the rules again and there's no such rule. But it's also true that this unwritten rule has been in the game for ages and has been consistently implemented. And for good practical reasons imo. What a mess here really.

He's a keeper not a field player mate. Behind him is the empty net. A keeper must make himself as tall and as large as possible when jumping for a high ball regardless of the potential he'd get the ball or not. Imagine what if he didn't raise his arms and the ball made a slight deflect touching one of the two Wolves players then went into the net because he didn't raise his arms. That would look so so stupid for any keeper to let that happen.

Then he won't injure anyone unless he was punching the ball which he wasn't. I've seen keepers stop punching mid air but I've never seen a keeper stop raising his arms mid air.
Raising your arms and following through are completely different things. He followed through because he was unaware of his surroundings - that's just poor goalkeeping. It was a poor decision. If he had used his eyes he would not have gone for that ball. He was brilliant for the rest of the match, but that was poor play, and he knows it.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
What a laughable overreaction.

I didn't watch the game, so decided to watch this dubious call on YouTube. Having read almost all of you saying it's a clear pen I was astounded to find I just don't agree.

That's not a penalty.

Onananana went for the ball, which had already been headed by the player, and collided with him.

If a striker hooks a shot at goal and is accidentally brought down by the GK afterwards, is that a pen?

Pickle85

Course it was, although I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. Every season every team gets away with a couple, you never really hear about them when it's most teams.
This. Seems mad to me that people are trying to claim it wasn't. Sure, you've seen them not given too but that doesn't mean it wasn't a pen. Absolutely delighted we got away with it but still a clear pen.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah should have been, but most similar examples last season weren't given, and no new guidance to refs I am aware of.

We definitely got away with one overall last night though. Poor performance in midfield especially.

gregwar

No.
- Onana was eyeing for the ball not the player, at all time
- Ball was already played by a wolves player
- The other player got hit by hit teammate and Onana. He wasn't in scoring position.
- Inside the box, Goalie are always over protected unless they've changed the rule.

Most refs wouldn't give penalty so it wasn't an "clear & obvious error"
Nailed it. Not a penalty for me.

Strelok

Raising your arms and following through are completely different things. He followed through because he was unaware of his surroundings - that's just poor goalkeeping. It was a poor decision. If he had used his eyes he would not have gone for that ball. He was brilliant for the rest of the match, but that was poor play, and he knows it.
Agree that he might should not have made that jump but it's in great hindsight imo. If he didn't jump and Wolves scored from that ball he'd got murdered here. People gonna say we paid 40m just for another DDG.

It's the same with Van Dijk last season imo. No one could be sure he would have stopped Sancho from scoring or not but he got criticised a lot for standing there and not making a challenge. When behind you is the empty net you gotta throw your body in and do something. All that happen in a blink of eye and you won't have enough time to consider you'd make it or not.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
He will know that he deflected the ball before contact.... Even if loads on Redcafe don't. I mean, I saw it in the VAR video at the time but here we are still arguing over it.....

Football is well and truly back eh!
To be honest I never seen any contact with the ball, I watched the match and the replay and judged it from that, definitely need to see it again and have another look. I thought the Wolves player got the ball and Onana missed and took out the other wolves player.

Ace of Spades

Well, the thread is about the Onana incident. The force used by Onana is much greater than the Antony incident. I think both should be looked at. If it was Antony who fouled a defender clearing the ball inside the box like that, it would be a free kick 9/10 times. If an attacker rushes into Onana like that, it's a free kick 10/10 times. Onana was lucky to get away with it. He knows it. What worries me is his own words that he only looked at the ball - you cannot do that. If you challenge for the ball 8 yards out and you have no bearings on your surroundings, you are asking for trouble.

I agree somewhat with what you said, and the two incidents are comparable. However, Antony was still able to get his chip away, and they never give those, even if he is clearly impacted by their goalie rushing into him. Onana used much more force and clattered into their player and could have caused an injury on top of things. Comparable, but different in force and scope.
The force was not excessive, and the fact remains that both keepers fouled the opposition players, and that is the only relevant bit here. No one was injured, and it was not excessive force where he punched the player or kicked him in the chest or something. Players clatter into each other all the time when going for an aerial ball, does not mean a pen is given for those.

Also, if you think Antony could getting his chip away means that is fine, then the same can be applied to their player getting the header away. Onana did not even foul the player who headed the ball, unlike their keeper.

The most important part is that this is normal for keepers. They are not punished for things that other players would be. It has always been normal that when keepers clatters into players, the keeper is almost never punished. For whatever reason, this is pretty normal in football.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The threshold for a foul is always higher with:
  • aerial contact in crowded penalty boxes
  • getting the shot away / not changing the outcome scenarios
  • goalkeepers challenging in the air
Yet despite all of that, it's a clear penalty to me. It's more than just a coming together.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be honest I never seen any contact with the ball, I watched the match and the replay and judged it from that, definitely need to see it again and have another look. I thought the Wolves player got the ball and Onana missed and took out the other wolves player.
Very slight deflection so I was screaming no pen fully expecting the ref to give it anyway..... Kudos to be honest, but Redcafe and media gon Redcafe and media, and consequently we'll get shafted for the foreseeable

Last edited:

Fabio Rochemback

Did you read the part 'any contact with the keeper when he is jumping to catch a ball and it's a foul'?

That rule is there for a reason. First a keeper is very defenseless when he's mid air raising his arms trying to catch the ball. Second if that rule wasn't there teams would just cross the ball into the box then have their tall strong players jumping to push the keeper away. Most of the time the keeper wouldn't be able to get the ball. Which also means he missing the ball and clatering an attacker.

Then it's a pen or not? If yes we'd have like 10 pens for each team a match. It'll be a mess and the game basically a shitshow. Every team would end up with 11 basketball players instead of football players.
I'm just not seeing how that's applicable here - Onana initiates the contact (to put it mildly), it's not like it was a 50/50.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Of course not
There was a good few apologies last couple of years. More than usual. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal ,Brighton , Villa , west ham all got one at some point.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There was a good few apologies last couple of years. More than usual. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal ,Brighton , Villa all got one at some point.
Don't see United on that list. Not saying it didn't happen but we had quite a few bad decisions go against us last season and I don't remember apologies for them.

JB7

What a laughable overreaction.

I didn't watch the game, so decided to watch this dubious call on YouTube. Having read almost all of you saying it's a clear pen I was astounded to find I just don't agree.

That's not a penalty.

Onananana went for the ball, which had already been headed by the player, and collided with him.

If a striker hooks a shot at goal and is accidentally brought down by the GK afterwards, is that a pen?
Pretty sure that actually happened at one point where Antony lobbed their keeper and he wiped him out diving for the ball. Haven't seen a replay of it anywhere funnily enough.

EireRed_GS

To be honest it looked a penalty.. If it was against us, we would be furious. Wolves deserved a point really.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Don't think i can post a link , but Celtic got a very similar penalty against Bayer Leverkusen a few years ago in the Europa League. Keeper went to punch ball like onana, missed it and clattered into kyogo instead. Referee give it after he went to the monitor.
Just because the ball is already away , or no excessive force doesn't mean something isn't a foul. The excessive force measure is used to determine punishment not guilt , and If the ball was already released or headed that just means the foul was late, which is still a foul.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Can anyone please post a gif of the incident? Will no one take up the bloodstained mantle?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I wouldn't have been angry if it was given, but feel like these are almost never given unless a foot or concussion is involved.

Smores

It's 100% a pen, he just clatters him ffs. If you do that you've got to get the ball or at least properly challenge for it.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Onanas eyes were on the ball as he jumped, maybe a little late, but what was he supposed to do. Arms clear of the wolves player so in my opinion he went for the ball and collided with the player.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Onanas eyes were on the ball as he jumped, maybe a little late, but what was he supposed to do. Arms clear of the wolves player so in my opinion he went for the ball and collided with the player.
Of course he went for the ball, but it's still a foul. Most freekicks and penalties are awarded in situations where a player is late or misses a challenge where he went for the ball and got the player instead. It doesn't have to be intentional to be a foul, in most cases it's not. Stonewall penalty to me.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The referee team wont be refereeing any games this weekend and Jon Moss himself has apologised. To claim that it wasn't a penalty at this point goes beyond United bias. It's pure insanity.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The referee team wont be refereeing any games this weekend and Jon Moss himself has apologised. To claim that it wasn't a penalty at this point goes beyond United bias. It's pure insanity.
Insanity?
THIS.IS.SP eh UNITED

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Of course he went for the ball, but it's still a foul. Most freekicks and penalties are awarded in situations where a player is late or misses a challenge where he went for the ball and got the player instead. It doesn't have to be intentional to be a foul, in most cases it's not. Stonewall penalty to me.
I wouldn’t have been outraged if a penalty had been given, it’s just not a clear a penalty as others are stating. That’s just my opinion, which doesn’t count for much.