Was it a penalty?

erikcred

If we were one nil down and Jose Sa jumped like this on famous Weghorst, we would all have cried for a penalty.

The ball was already played but the jump was dangerous and not controlled.

Penalty every day.

37 days to go and we can hope for the title (joke)
First of all, the score has nothing to do with it.

Secondly, no we wouldn't *all* have cried for a penalty. Goalkeepers are treated differently. I don't think that's right, but that's generally the treatment across the board, regardless of the club.

Meanwhile the referee has come out and said himself it was clearly a penalty.
That was Jon Moss, and if he says it's a penalty you know its probably not.

It's a challenge that happens multiple times in every game and goes unpunished. A simple clash in the box that had no effect on play, but because it's us it's headline news.

GazTheLegend

Nah.

Usually with these things I think "how much would people have complained if we'd been given it at the other end" and in this case I think the pundits would have been complaining for MONTHS if we'd have been given it.

So no penalty. The mitigating factor for me is that there were two wolves players in each others way and all three including Onana were trying to win the ball. So no penalty for me.

Strelok

had he retracted his arms,
If this was the case we have to sell him immediately tbh. He's a keeper ffs. If he doesn't want to use his arms in that kind of situation we must all seriously question his brain and sell him asap. What a crazy take.

Ace of Spades

I did mention that the Antony one was similar in principle as Sa clearly interfers with Antony's play and clips him afterwards, and I think that goalies get away with far too much (former goalie myself). Having punched someone in the face because I missed the ball, I know just how much force it goes into it and the damage it can do. With a clean punch it should be a red every day of the week.

Onana wasn't that bad, but as he said, he only watched the ball and was unaware of his surroundings. That is by no means good. He then proceeded to clash into a couple of players, and then he followed through - had he retracted his arms, I don't think anyone would argue it's a penalty. It's the force he uses and following through that's the biggest issue.
Yes, you did mention Antony as an after thought, but still concentrated on our keeper and accused him of punching a player, which he did not. Onana tried to go for the ball and clattered in to their player. Same thing happened to Antony, and nobody batted an eye. If one was a pen , so was the other. If one was dangerous, so was the other.

These things tend to happens a lot in contact sports, and I have seen goalkeepers get away with a lot worse than this incident, and a similar thing happened in the same match. Yet all the focus is on Onana and the narrative that some massive mistake was made and Wolves were unjustly robbed of a point. No they were not, Wolves are shit at scoring goals and they only have themselves to blame, and the pen decisions cancelled each other so no big decision was made against them.

padzilla

Hipster
looked like an accidental mid air collision - correct decision was play on, it won't suit the purposes of the braying hordes who want to keep generating content and talking points after the game but the referee got this one right. It wasn't a clear and obvious mistake from not awarding the penalty - if that's a penalty then the number of penalties each season would double.

Litch

I think it was but equally seen players get the shoot off first and then taken down, and pens not given. Thats kind of what happened yesterday...

Kostov

I though they were going to feck us over and give a penalty despite seeing million cases of similar situations not given as pens. So I am glad that for once we are not getting bent over.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I thought it was a peno. Keeper went for it, missed it and clattered the attacker. Outside the box it would be given as a free

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I’m surprised they rushed that apology out last night. Can see why it was not given, since it was two players colliding off the ball. I’d understand if Onana clattered the man who headed the ball. I’ll be surprised if such an incident is consistently given as a pen this season though.

It was a foul, therefore a penalty, but there’s no way it is going to be consistently given, either in real time or subsequent to VAR reviews.

Jordan_mufc

As much as it looked a pen, you don't even see those given (unless you're Messi and the world cup is rigged for you). Even in the first half, Jose Sa took Antony out after he lobbed him. Not even a word from the commentators

Strelok

As I read it, that doesn't say keepers shouldn't be penalised for missing the ball clattering an attacker.
Did you read the part 'any contact with the keeper when he is jumping to catch a ball and it's a foul'?

That rule is there for a reason. First a keeper is very defenseless when he's mid air raising his arms trying to catch the ball. Second if that rule wasn't there teams would just cross the ball into the box then have their tall strong players jumping to push the keeper away. Most of the time the keeper wouldn't be able to get the ball. Which also means he missing the ball and clatering an attacker.

Then it's a pen or not? If yes we'd have like 10 pens for each team a match. It'll be a mess and the game basically a shitshow. Every team would end up with 11 basketball players instead of football players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't Ramsdale clatter into Bruno when they beat us 3-2m

Hilarious how the rules and everything change when it's ManUtd.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Should have been awarded. He's way too late into the challenge, is nowhere near the ball and brings the attacker down with force.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Two Wolves players barging into Onana and impeding him to get to the ball?
He would have saved it if given.

Care_de_Bobo

How often do we see an attacker being clattered in the box after they get their shot away and a penalty is never given. This is no different. If these decisions were given against any other team then maybe I could see the logic in a penalty being given, but they're not.

O'Neil should be focusing on how wasteful his side were, not complaining about not getting a penalty after an aimless punt into the box. The ref probably did them a favour as they likely would have missed the penalty anyway the way they were playing, but now have an incident they can use to deflect and everyone in the media can generate an endless boring debate about something that happens at least a few times a week to garner clicks.

Rossa

Yes, you did mention Antony as an after thought, but still concentrated on our keeper and accused him of punching a player, which he did not. Onana tried to go for the ball and clattered in to their player. Same thing happened to Antony, and nobody batted an eye. If one was a pen , so was the other. If one was dangerous, so was the other.

These things tend to happens a lot in contact sports, and I have seen goalkeepers get away with a lot worse than this incident, and a similar thing happened in the same match. Yet all the focus is on Onana and the narrative that some massive mistake was made and Wolves were unjustly robbed of a point. No they were not, Wolves are shit at scoring goals and they only have themselves to blame, and the pen decisions cancelled each other so no big decision was made against them.
Well, the thread is about the Onana incident. The force used by Onana is much greater than the Antony incident. I think both should be looked at. If it was Antony who fouled a defender clearing the ball inside the box like that, it would be a free kick 9/10 times. If an attacker rushes into Onana like that, it's a free kick 10/10 times. Onana was lucky to get away with it. He knows it. What worries me is his own words that he only looked at the ball - you cannot do that. If you challenge for the ball 8 yards out and you have no bearings on your surroundings, you are asking for trouble.

I agree somewhat with what you said, and the two incidents are comparable. However, Antony was still able to get his chip away, and they never give those, even if he is clearly impacted by their goalie rushing into him. Onana used much more force and clattered into their player and could have caused an injury on top of things. Comparable, but different in force and scope.

antk

Did you read the part 'any contact with the keeper when he is jumping to catch a ball and it's a foul'?

That rule is there for a reason. First a keeper is very defenseless when he's mid air raising his arms trying to catch the ball. Second if that rule wasn't there teams would just cross the ball into the box then have their tall strong players jumping to push the keeper away. Most of the time the keeper wouldn't be able to get the ball. Which also means he missing the ball and clatering an attacker.

Then it's a pen or not? If yes we'd have like 10 pens for each team a match. It'll be a mess and the game basically a shitshow. Every team would end up with 11 basketball players instead of football players.
I can't find any mention of this supposed rule either in the IFAB or PL rules. I don't think soccerfolders.com is a serious source.

Rossa

If this was the case we have to sell him immediately tbh. He's a keeper ffs. If he doesn't want to use his arms in that kind of situation we must all seriously question his brain and sell him asap. What a crazy take.
Of course he should have retracted his arms when he should have realised he was never getting the ball. Same with a defender; when they clearly cannot reach the ball they retract their leg from not causing a serious injury to the other player. How does this not make sense?

ArjenIsM3

It was inside his box. There was even contact with a player who didn't touch the ball. And he tried to get the ball. Definitely not a penalty.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
How is that not similar? Keeper rushed and took out player after player played the ball.
Sa is in the process of trying ot make a save, there was also minimal contact - Onana clatters his arms/whole body into a player while challenging for the ball.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What's the difference? If that was a centre back that'd be a foul right?
If the attacker was shooting and the defender went to slide and block the ball in front and the strikers follow-through took him into the defender it wouldn't be a foul no.

Jose Sa is trying to make the save/block the ball - Onana was just challenging for the ball, there's difference

Pronewbie

Peep
I feel like we have fans who aren't used to seeing a goalkeeper clattering the opposition while challenging for an aerial ball. Unless the rules have changed GKs have always had the advantage in these situations.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Defo pen, worrying thing is that Onana didn’t think it was a pen, hopefully that’s just for the cameras and behind the scenes he believes it was because he thinks he will get away with them every game.

Strelok

I can't find any mention of this supposed rule either in the IFAB or PL rules. I don't think soccerfolders.com is a serious source.
You're right. I had to read the rules again and there's no such rule. But it's also true that this unwritten rule has been in the game for ages and has been consistently implemented. And for good practical reasons imo. What a mess here really.

Of course he should have retracted his arms when he should have realised he was never getting the ball. Same with a defender; when they clearly cannot reach the ball they retract their leg from not causing a serious injury to the other player. How does this not make sense?
He's a keeper not a field player mate. Behind him is the empty net. A keeper must make himself as tall and as large as possible when jumping for a high ball regardless of the potential he'd get the ball or not. Imagine what if he didn't raise his arms and the ball made a slight deflect touching one of the two Wolves players then went into the net because he didn't raise his arms. That would look so so stupid for any keeper to let that happen.

Then he won't injure anyone unless he was punching the ball which he wasn't. I've seen keepers stop punching mid air but I've never seen a keeper stop raising his arms mid air.

izec

Not a definite penalty. You can give it, but as the ref decided to not give it, VAR cant give it, as it is not 100% a pen and a mistake. It is one of those grey areas thing

OverratedOpinion

Course it was, although I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. Every season every team gets away with a couple, you never really hear about them when it's most teams.