Was it a penalty?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It would be if he stopped the player from winning the header but that's not what happened. Plus both his arms went either side of the wolves player.
This is what I thought.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Happens all the time but because it was such a dramatic dive it looked more like a pen..

A9X SJ

Stonewall- Lloris done that last year penalty was given

Baxquux

Goalkeepers are protected so much and given so much leeway to foul that, based on precedent, he'd have to walk up to the player and punch him to give away a penalty in the area; the only exceptions are when the ball's on the ground and they trip the attacking player. In the air, it's pretty much fair game.

Spark

Was a peno, he was so far behind the ball. Just heard ETH claim there was a touch on the way in, after Onana made his move, but reckon he knows that it's a pen deep down.

We were fecking lucky tonight, not including the pen.

Outrage on Talk Sport and talk of controversy on BBC so imagine my shock seeing the highlights and the sort of foul that regularly goes unpunished

There's no anti-United agenda though!

Should be a pen in my opinion but based on precedent then it's not clear cut. Keepers seen to get away with it more often than not

Ekeke

All I can say is I can see why Wolves wanted one. Onana was late on a challenge and took out the player

meamth

The argument is it was an aerial challenge, eyes on the ball, 50/50 challenge.

Onana didn't foul the heading player, their own player clattered the header.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think it should be a penalty.

But rightly or wrongly (mostly wrongly) goalkeepers get a ridiculous amount of leeway in situations like that, which Onana benefitted from.

Remember the geese

It's obviously a pen, but goalkeepers are basically a law unto themselves. One of those weird intricacies in the game. Like blatantly obstructing a player when trying to force the ball out for a goal kick/throw in. Goalkeepers have clattered the opposing attacker for years and more often than not they have got away with it.

Withnail

They never give these as pens and they're not about to start now.

I'd he'd prevented either player from getting to the ball it could have been a different story.

Sylar

If it was given we probably don't have a thread named
Was it a penalty?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They’re hardly ever given but they probably should be.

No. No excessive force and the ball was loose. Just a standard penalty box clash.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I would be howling with laughter if we got away with that. It's a clear pen

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Even if you argue that it wasn’t a penalty that’s fine but this idea that it’s being discussed in the media because it’s United is such crap. It’s a MNF game in which this happens in 94th minute. Of course it will be a huge talking point

The One and Only

I honestly don't understand how anyone can think that's a penalty. The attacker has already played the ball before Onana challenges him.

You see keepers get away with these kind of challenges every week in the league. It wouldn't even be a talking point if United weren't involved

chay chay okocha

By the letter of the law - it's probably a penalty, for all the usual reasons (Onana misses the ball and catches the player with quite a bit of force after the ball is played). I think he is helped out by the fact that his hands and arms don't make much contact, but rather his body, so that makes it seem more like a regular "challenge / coming together" of players.

Reactions: jojojo

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If a player gets a shot off and then gets hit afterwards, it is never a penalty. In this case, it wasn't even the guy who headed it who got run into. It was the other guy who was also trying to head it. Onano is coming out and making himself big. If the player is touching it around him and he clangs into him, then it's a penalty. But in this case the players shot was not interfered with. He got it off and it was wide. 100% not a penalty. I'm sure some can show examples if this being given, but i'd argue that those calls were probably wrong. Even if they were against us...

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Outrage on Talk Sport and talk of controversy on BBC so imagine my shock seeing the highlights and the sort of foul that regularly goes unpunished

There's no anti-United agenda though!

Should be a pen in my opinion but based on precedent then it's not clear cut. Keepers seen to get away with it more often than not
For a second I thought I was on blue moon after reading that.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I honestly don't understand how anyone can think that's a penalty. The attacker has already played the ball before Onana challenges him.

You see keepers get away with these kind of challenges every week in the league. It wouldn't even be a talking point if United weren't involved
I'm not even sure if it was the guy who headed it who got hit. There are 2 guys in there. I'm pretty sure it's the other guy who gets hit. EIther way, it was well after the header

Gee Male

Free out. That big tree for Wolves didn't try to play the ball and interfered with the keeper coming for it. Those are always given as a free out.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Similar incident in the spurs game. Player got there first. Nothing given. These aren’t usually given but tend to be a debate when we are the focus.

Woodzy

No. If that’s a penalty there’s no point keepers even trying to catch those any more

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Objectively I think that when the keeper comes out and makes an honest attempt but misses the ball and punch the player in the face with the force of a thousand fists, it should be a automatic red card and penalty. I also think the keeper should be allowed to challenge for the ball with the same force as defenders do, and despite the awkwardness of his arms being that high up, it really wasn't that bad. He is allowed to touch the ball with his hands, yet if his hands were down you wouldn't consider the force to be reckless in it self like in a shoulder to shoulder situation. So the question should not be if it looks weird, but if the keeper is using his hands in a dangerous manner that could hurt the player. That should be the rule for these types of situations. Gives you some protection for the keepers but even if you indeed get unlucky, just punching a player in the face or in the head should lead to a red card every time.

Acquire Me

No, the keeper got a bit more freedom as they are allowed to use their hands. However they will get penalised if they use to much force. Good decision imo since that’s how they do it and it shows that they actually are consistent.