Was it a penalty?

laughtersassassin

There is two answers imo.

Should it be a penalty. Yes, by the technical rules it's a foul and a penalty. The refs should give them.

All that being said, they are never given which is perfectly shown by the Wolves keeper doing the same thing last season.

So basically they should start giving them but they need to give them all.

GazTheLegend

Brilliant. Where's the apology from the PGMOL, outcry by the pundits, and overreactive Redcafe thread for this incident? This ones as much if not more a supposed penalty for the exact same reasons. Not given for the same reasons: The ball was gone. Rightly or wrongly, the media are FOREVER trying to remove any possibility of us getting a penalty ever again, and making sure that as many 50/50 penalties go against us in the future. No doubt Klopp will mention it.

C'est Moi Cantona

Wolves were terrible in front of goal, so it's likely they'd have missed it anyway.

But as people have said I've seen this many times before from goalkeepers and it's barely registered.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
One of those players who didn't get the ball clattered into the other in a wreckless manner fouling him though. Big difference .
Anthony was hit by Sa after chipping it over him and the ball was cleared off the line. Should that be a penalty too? Or is it just when United players do it?

JagUTD

Foul on Onana. Goalkeepers need more protection and excessively harsh punishments for players assaulting them :wenger:

Reiver

I think it was a penalty. I've watched our players get cleared out by keepers for years and wanted a pen - remember Vidic against Madrid for example? So I won't be a hypocrite and say I think otherwise just because it would have been against us. When VAR were checking it I felt sure it would result in a penalty.

PaulScholes99

From last season.

While comparing the Vicario/Sa incidents from this weekend is not too helpful - as the situations are just different to Onanas - this one is actually more or less exactly the same as Onana. And it was not only not a penalty after VAR check, but the PGMOL also didn't apologize and when there was an review of VAR decisions by an independent panel they didn't flag this as incorrect.

So, they must have changed their rules regarding this or now it is incorrect, because there was loads of attention.

glasgow 21

This action and similar is only an issue if it is United. If this was Villa v Brentford it wouldn't be an afterthought. Onana is new so must make issue of it. Same as Case last year. Fabinho was doing twice the damage and nothing was happening to him. So if everyone is deciding its a pen are we not allowed a bit of luck or does it always have to be negative towards us. Thought it was swings and roundabouts.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
While comparing the Vicario/Sa incidents from this weekend is not too helpful - as the situations are just different to Onanas - this one is actually more or less exactly the same as Onana. And it was not only not a penalty after VAR check, but the PGMOL also didn't apologize and when there was an review of VAR decisions by an independent panel they didn't flag this as incorrect.

So, they must have changed their rules regarding this or now it is incorrect, because there was loads of attention.
Yeah this was the review at the time which concluded that VAR was right not to intervene. Not sure what the difference is with our one as they look virtually identical to me. The outrage just I guess

Yeah this was the review at the time which concluded that VAR was right not to intervene. Not sure what the difference is with our one as they look virtually identical to me. The outrage just I guess

The guy (Dale Johnson) also goes on to argue that Onana's incident is 'worse' than Sa's because he leads with both arms and never had any intention of getting the ball.

What makes this worse than Jose Sa is the way Andre Onana comes out leading with both arms. He would argue he does so to block a possible header, but he doesn't get close. At least Sa was clearly an outstretched arm trying to reach a cross.
In the replays it looks like Onana is going to punch and then realises that he's not getting there and tries to make himself big instead to block the header. Clumsy for sure, but please someone explain to me how that is objectively worse than a keeper literally punching someone in the face having also misjudged his ability to win the ball?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The guy (Dale Johnson) also goes on to argue that Onana's incident is 'worse' than Sa's because he leads with both arms and never had any intention of getting the ball.

In the replays it looks like Onana is going to punch and then realises that he's not getting there and tries to make himself big instead to block the header. Clumsy for sure, but please someone explain to me how that is objectively worse than a keeper literally punching someone in the face having also misjudged his ability to win the ball?
Very simple: it was a Utd player.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Aye, they're the same in what matters. "Leading with both arms" is irrelevant. It's not Onana's arms that are the issue here, they don't even make any real contact. Dale's point only stands if Onana punches the Wolves player's head with both fists at the same time, as opposed to Sa doing it with just the one fist. Even then that's carrying less force than doing it with one, so it's a moot point again.

grahamo

Ball was gone. No penalty. However, in any situations close to what happened there for the rest of the season, a penalty will be given against Onana. Thank You ABU pundits and media

CoopersDream

Aye, they're the same in what matters. "Leading with both arms" is irrelevant. It's not Onana's arms that are the issue here, they don't even make any real contact. Dale's point only stands if Onana punches the Wolves player's head with both fists at the same time, as opposed to Sa doing it with just the one fist. Even then that's carrying less force than doing it with one, so it's a moot point again.
I think there's a big difference in that Onana clatters into a player which didn't even play the ball, and does so being further from the ball. To me it makes the challenge more reckless. Anyway, I would think most people would argue both should be penalties anyway, difference is one came very late in the game and the fact that Leeds won the match where this happened last year.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Was it a penalty?

On Antony?
Of course it was.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Ball was gone. No penalty. However, in any situations close to what happened there for the rest of the season, a penalty will be given against Onana. Thank You ABU pundits and media
The ball being gone just means it was an even worse foul. Just because the attacker gets the ball away does not mean you can clatter into him or his teammate. Just isn't a rule at all.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The picture above just shows Onana decided “let’s hug in the air!”
Nothing more nothing less…
Not to mention the fact that 3 guys go for the ball. 2 hit each other while the 3rd gets a header off without getting hit and misses the net. So why is the foul that everybody wants against Onana and not the guy who get in his way and also didn't touch the ball?

cyberman

The ball being gone just means it was an even worse foul. Just because the attacker gets the ball away does not mean you can clatter into him or his teammate. Just isn't a rule at all.
That’s how the game is governed though.

HackeyC

There will be dozens of those situations this year where nothing will happen.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
3 players go for the ball. one heads it unimpeded and the other 2 crash into each other, neither of them getting the ball. So who is the foul on?

SirFergie

I am delighted but can anyone make a serious case for that not being a penalty. What do we think ?
Only when they go in our favour are they penalties.

- happens to us? No pen, no media outrage
- happens in any other fixture we're not involved in? No pen, no mention of it at all

Martinez cleaned Elanga out in the Villa game (away) last season in a similar style, nothing mentioned afterwards.

PaulScholes99

Is anybody able to find the Emiliano Martinez / Elanga incident from last season? Would be interesting to see it, as there hasn‘t even been a VAR review

Anustart89

Is anybody able to find the Emiliano Martinez / Elanga incident from last season? Would be interesting to see it, as there hasn‘t even been a VAR review
Tried looking for it yesterday but couldn’t find any videos online.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
3 players go for the ball. one heads it unimpeded and the other 2 crash into each other, neither of them getting the ball. So who is the foul on?
One of the players who didn't get the ball (onana) clattered into the other wrecklessly. The wolves player who didnt get the ball jumped straight upwards, onana did not he ran and jumped into the wolves player. How can you not see this difference?
It doesn't matter either if the fouled attacker could get the ball or not ever in determining whether a foul is a foul.

city-puma

Not to mention the fact that 3 guys go for the ball. 2 hit each other while the 3rd gets a header off without getting hit and misses the net. So why is the foul that everybody wants against Onana and not the guy who get in his way and also didn't touch the ball?
Exactly!

CoopersDream

One of the players who didn't get the ball (onana) clattered into the other wrecklessly. The wolves player who didnt get the ball jumped straight upwards, onana did not he ran and jumped into the wolves player. How can you not see this difference?
It doesn't matter either if the fouled attacker could get the ball or not ever in determining whether a foul is a foul.
It's actually incredible how people can't see this. The Wolves player literally jumps straight up, Onana absolutely clatters him. This is not a question of two people crashing into another, this is one player crashing into the other. I'm almost baffled that anyone can say that while having watched the same clips as I have, because it's so obvious.

lex talionis

I still have yet to see or read of a single instance in the roughly 100 years of professional and 160 years of amateur football of a pen being called for that kind of contact by the keeper, who was unquestionably late but undeniably going for the ball.

Not even one.

Anustart89

Didn’t Martinez punch the ball before wiping out Elanga in that one?
I think he got the ball with his right hand and then punched Elanga with his left when he came flying out in a starfish motion. But that shouldn't really matter considering that players give away fouls (and red cards) despite getting the ball with tackles.