Was prime Rooney really the 3rd best player in the world?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
This is the sort of twisted logic that has people rating Gerrard has head and shoulders above Scholes based on those sort of awards.
Don't think its that twisted. 3rd best player in the world almost never able to win PL player of the year award?

Gehrman

The dodgy ones are the 2010 which should have been won by Iniesta, maybe the 2013 which should've been Robben and last last two years for Lewandowski.

Anyway it was never stoled from Rooney, matter of fact is as good as he was he wasn't ever really in the conversation as a serious candidate.
People tend to argue that Sneidjer should have won it in 2010 and Ribery in 2013.

SAFMUTD

People tend to argue that Sneidjer should have won it in 2010 and Ribery in 2013.
There's always controversy about it, but there wasn't any with Rooney.

No shame really winning it it's extremely hard. Rooney was class, but we don't need to pretend or mithyfy him and something he wasn't.

cyberman

Career wise I'd say Rooney was better than Kaka. But we are talking about them at their peak, and while Kaka's peak didn't last for long it was definitely superior to Rooney's.
I dunno. kakas peak seems to be the point deduction season when they gave up on the league and simply focused on 3 games every 7 weeks.
it’s not discussed enough but his Ballon Dor really was a robbery imo. The entire team just didn’t try in Serie A

SAFMUTD

I dunno. kakas peak seems to be the point deduction season when they gave up on the league and simply focused on 3 games every 7 weeks.
it’s not discussed enough but his Ballon Dor really was a robbery imo. The entire team just didn’t try in Serie A
Well they did deduct them something like 15 points, so the league was pretty much lost for them. But the way he played in that champions league I don't think there was anybody else who could claim the ballon besides him.

Hammondo

Prime Rooney was incredibly good. It's always difficult to say 'top one, top two, top three etc...'...but what I would say is that Rooney would have gotten into any side in the world between 2005-2010
Aside peps Barcelona.

RUCK4444

That's an hyperbolic view. Rooney was our best player but he wasn't carrying us. United had one of the best defense in the world up until 2012, he was strongly supported by world class players like Berbatov, Carrick and Scholes. Post Ronaldo also saw Nani and Valencia have some of the finest seasons from wingers in the PL era.

I would argue that considering that Rooney was in contention for the 4th best is significantly more accurate than your description of Rooney post Ronaldo. He never dragged us to compete with Barcelona. That's actually the beauty of United and SAF as a manager, we played as a team and won as a team with constant contribution from a range of players that would take turn and support our most talented players.
Whilst I agree the bolded is the major factor I also think you massively under appareciate how important Rooney was in that period.

Berbatov and Nani are the epitome of inconsistency and frustration and Valencia was more of a workhorse than a free-scoring winger, the squad was hard working with a GOAT manager of course, but Rooney was pretty much the only magic on that pitch in that period and he turned up every week.

Aside from Ronnie and Messi you can take any of the other players you mentioned out of their respective sides and they wouldn’t be hugely missed, not in the same way we would without Rooney.

RUCK4444

Agreed. I brought up this point in the 'Benzema vs Rooney' thread that judging by statistics alone without context is erroneous because it doesn't paint the whole picture. Rooney is a player who offers a lot more than simply goals and assists. This is not to say that the likes of Benzema and Drogba don't, or didn't in the latter's case. Rooney, however, offers significantly more. There is a very good reason why Rooney was selected by his fellow peers and adversaries (I don't think they are allowed to vote for their team mate) for the PFA Players' of the Year award, despite Drogba finishing the season with better stats and Chelsea winning the Double that season. It's the same reason why Rooney also won the Fans' Player of the Year (voted by the fans), Premier League Player of the Season (voted by the sponsors), and the FWA Footballer of the Year (voted by the journalists) by a record 80% of the votes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8653254.stm

It was a clean sweep.

Chelsea were a machine in 2009/10. They broke several records in the PL that season, including most goals scored (103) and biggest goal difference in the PL campaign (+71). Drogba was surrounded by an outstanding support cast around him. Lampard chipped in with 27 goals that season. Which remains a record for a midfielder in the top 5 leagues in Europe till this day. While Malouda (who was a regular starter for the France NT then) and Anelka (who himself was enjoying a sort of mini-renaissance) each netted 15 times too.

In contrast, United were hugely reliant on Rooney carrying their attack for much of the season after the departure of both Ronaldo and Tevez. What made United so strong in the past was due to their formidable defence and dynamic attack that had Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez interchanging fluidly, ripping teams apart with their pace and movement. With Ronaldo and Tevez gone, their replacements were Nani (a maddeningly inconsistent player) and Valencia (a newcomer in his debut season). While both of them enjoyed a good season in 2009/10, they were solid but unspectacular.

The reality was that United's attack had became less potent and dangerous, but more predictable. They were easier to defend and come up against. United's title charge crumpled after Rooney twisted his ankle vs Bayern in the QF CL first leg at the Allianz Arena. He was then forced to return from his injury early, and re-damaged his ankle in the return leg.

This was Chelsea's and United's top scorers in the 2009/10 season:

Chelsea
Drogba - 37
Lampard - 27
Malouda/Anelka - 15

United
Rooney - 34
Berbatov - 12
Own goals - 11

Berbatov was poor and very disappointing that season. Ferguson lost confidence in him and dropped him from his plans. He eventually bought Hernandez to replace Berbatov. Though Berbatov did return to form next season, it was too little too late for his United career as Ferguson had already made up his mind that Berbatov was never going to be the mercurial enigma like he hoped Cantona was.

It was also this season that the own goals meme started making its' way around the forums (I was a lurker then lol). United had 11 own goals in their favour that season, with no other players scoring double digits in the squad. Apart from Drogba, Lampard, Malouda and Anelka, Kalou also scored 12 goals. Which means that the 5th highest scorer for Chelsea that season was on par with United's 2nd highest scorer. And Kalou wasn't even a regular starter. Very telling with regards to the disparity of quality and strength in depth between the two sides then.

Speaking of the formidable defence, 2009/10 was also the season that Ferdinand's injuries problems started. He ended up with only 21 appearances (13 in the league) in all comps that season. Vidic also had his fair share of injury woes, but was slightly more fortunate and made 33 appearances (24 in the league). Which was a sharp decline from the 55 appearances he made the season before. Aside from Evra, Ferguson had to frequently chop and change the backline then. An inexperienced Jonny Evans was often tasked with being the deputy in either Ferdinand or Vidic's absence, while an inexperienced Rafael rotated with Brown for the RB berth.

On the other hand. Terry was ever-present for Chelsea that season. He had 51 appearances for them. While Ivanovic was in the form of his life and was selected in the PFA Team of the Year. He also sort of became a fan favourite from that season onwards. Even VDS was starting to decline that season and ended up with only 29 appearances. By far the lowest games he has played in a season throughout his United career. There was some serious debate going on then whether VDS should be dropped for Kuszczak permanently.

Much of United's title charge that season was down to the managerial ability of Ferguson, and of course, a certain Wayne Rooney. It was no coincidence that the moment Rooney injury took place, United's title charge came to a screeching halt. None of the other United players were in the same class of ability. It was not just the goals and assists that he made. His level of intensity and energy was influential to those around him. He really inspired the team and drove them forward that season.

Managers like Klopp/Rangnick would absolutely adore him due to his immense work ethic, stamina and fondness to press and win the ball back quickly. I would wager had it not been for his unfortunate injury, he would go against all odds and led United to the PL title that season and will be remembered more fondly in the same way RVP is after leading United to their 20th title. Or perhaps if Ferguson had spent the Ronaldo money on Ozil, Robben and Kompany.

Here are some quotes on Rooney

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/15-quotes-about-wayne-rooney-man-utd-england/
https://www.planetfootball.com/in-d...ee-gks-on-what-its-like-to-face-wayne-rooney/
Good post.

@JPRouve

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Don't think its that twisted. 3rd best player in the world almost never able to win PL player of the year award?
He did win it. Just once, is your argument.

But it's like the argument, if Scholes was that good why did he barely get an individual award?

Gehrman

He did win it. Just once, is your argument.

But it's like the argument, if Scholes was that good why did he barely get an individual award?
Rooney was Englands biggest star and Man Utd's after Ronaldo left. Scholes never had that profile. And Scholes was never touted as the worlds 3rd best or England's best/2nd best.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He obviously could do more than just cutting in and was a top player but I guess you’re rating him now apparently higher than Ronaldo for his individual contributions which seems incredibly loose.

Id say Robben and Bale are a good comparison. Both mercurial when running at players, great technically and also left footed but beaten by injuries which sadly meant we never saw what they could have been had they had a solid uninterrupted body of work at their peak. Hazard and Sanchez before their moves to Real and United were talked of in the same breath as Robben for example (I’d agree he’s above those two though).
I don't rate Robben higher than Ronaldo in the general sense (even I am not that biased). What I mean is, Robben on his day just doesn't need teammates to decide a game, whereas Ronaldo, especially later in his career is very dependant on supply.

Bale is very similar, though for me definitely a step below Robben. Especially the way he squandered quite a good bit of his peak years playing golf whereas Robben always worked insanely hard to get his perpetually failing body back in shape and form.

As I said though, Biased :D

tomaldinho1

I don't rate Robben higher than Ronaldo in the general sense (even I am not that biased). What I mean is, Robben on his day just doesn't need teammates to decide a game, whereas Ronaldo, especially later in his career is very dependant on supply.

Bale is very similar, though for me definitely a step below Robben. Especially the way he squandered quite a good bit of his peak years playing golf whereas Robben always worked insanely hard to get his perpetually failing body back in shape and form.

As I said though, Biased :D
Well agree on Bale but disagree on Ronaldo. I’d say given he played in less system heavy teams he’s probably the most influential individual players ever seen in this generation. Still remember Robben and Duff terrorising the PL all those years ago, how time flies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Whilst I agree the bolded is the major factor I also think you massively under appareciate how important Rooney was in that period.

Berbatov and Nani are the epitome of inconsistency and frustration and Valencia was more of a workhorse than a free-scoring winger, the squad was hard working with a GOAT manager of course, but Rooney was pretty much the only magic on that pitch in that period and he turned up every week.

Aside from Ronnie and Messi you can take any of the other players you mentioned out of their respective sides and they wouldn’t be hugely missed, not in the same way we would without Rooney.
I don't underappreciate how important Rooney was which is why I have him in contention as one of the top 5 players at his peak, suggesting that I under appreciate him in that context borders on ridiculous. Again the issue is that you are being hyperbolic for no good reason. You decided to underrate the contribution of his teammates for no good reason, United in 09/10 arguably had the best defense in the world, they were arguably the most solid team in the world, Carrick, Fletcher and Scholes were playing at a high level. Rooney was the best player in a very good team, he didn't carry the team but he was the centerpiece of our attack and did it brilliantly.

But even if we say that he was carrying the team in 09/10, that season the third best player isn't definitively Rooney. It's a season where the likes of Milito, Lucio, Sneijder, Eto'o, Xavi, Iniesta were all in contention for best performer out of all players including Messi and Ronaldo.

El Jefe

No he wasn't. There could have been parts of the season when he was for two or three months but you can say that about quite a few players. Rooney only had one world class full season for us and that was 2009/10 and he was not the third best player in the world then as Xavi, Iniesta and Sneijder were better that year. Its debatable if he should have even won the PFA player of the year as Drogba was every bit as good as him that season.

Rooney was a fantastic player though and mostly top 10 through 2006-2012.

wr8_utd

:'(
This. Ronaldo really should have won it that year.

Andrew7582

He was only really as good as Manchester United was.

When we were the best team in the world - Rooney as the "third best player in the world" wasn't sounding nonsensical. This was in 2007-2008.

When United were beaten and were no more the best team in the world - Rooney was no more seen as a top 3 best player in the world.
I remember Rooney being quite poor in the semi final and final of the CL the year we won it. He was pretty anonymous at the nou camp, missed the second leg due to injury and got subbed off in the final after a sloppy performance. You can't be called 3rd best player in the world with performances like that when it matters most.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I remember Rooney being quite poor in the semi final and final of the CL the year we won it. He was pretty anonymous at the nou camp, missed the second leg due to injury and got subbed off in the final after a sloppy performance. You can't be called 3rd best player in the world with performances like that when it matters most.
I'm a Ronaldo fan and he has had finals in Cl's and Euros where he hasn't really done anything but he was leading them up to that point. It's the same with Rooney as a "third best player" level minus maybe one extra performance or two.

Firestorm

Unfortunately nowhere near, maybe in top 10 on a good day. However, to be fair he was arguably the second most talented English player of all time -the first being Paul Gascoigne -and could play in any outfield position on the park if asked to by SAF.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

I don't underappreciate how important Rooney was which is why I have him in contention as one of the top 5 players at his peak, suggesting that I under appreciate him in that context borders on ridiculous. Again the issue is that you are being hyperbolic for no good reason. You decided to underrate the contribution of his teammates for no good reason, United in 09/10 arguably had the best defense in the world, they were arguably the most solid team in the world, Carrick, Fletcher and Scholes were playing at a high level. Rooney was the best player in a very good team, he didn't carry the team but he was the centerpiece of our attack and did it brilliantly.

But even if we say that he was carrying the team in 09/10, that season the third best player isn't definitively Rooney. It's a season where the likes of Milito, Lucio, Sneijder, Eto'o, Xavi, Iniesta were all in contention for best performer out of all players including Messi and Ronaldo.
I’m not being hyperbolic, I’ve agreed it was a solid team but what I’ve pointed out is attacking wise it was bereft of the options we had previously.

Rooney was our attack in that sense, and rightly deserves extra praise for that.

I don’t have to downplay the squad at that time to make that point or be hyperbolic as you claim.

RUCK4444

Unfortunately nowhere near, maybe in top 10 on a good day. However, to be fair he was arguably the second most talented English player of all time -the first being Paul Gascoigne -and could play in any outfield position on the park if asked to by SAF.
Feck sake. Name 10 players who were nailed on playing better than Rooney was in his peak.

The underrating is criminal.

JPRouve

Scout
I’m not being hyperbolic, I’ve agreed it was a solid team but what I’ve pointed out is attacking wise it was bereft of the options we had previously.

Rooney was our attack in that sense, and rightly deserves extra praise for that.

I don’t have to downplay the squad at that time to make that point or be hyperbolic as you claim.
You were being hyperbolic when you said that he was carrying the team and tried to undermine his teammates. And Rooney get deserved extra praised by being in the conversation for top to 5-10 in the world, that's high praise.

led_scholes

There was a short period before RVP, Falcao, Lewa, Robben, Ribery etc and when the old guard was fading (Totti, Henry, Kaka, Sheva) that Rooney and Iniesta were probably competing for the 3rd best player. Iniesta hold on for years while Rooney started declining by 2011. Even though he was immense in 2011-2012, Saf saw that he could not lead us to a title in a way RVP did. So yeah maybe for few months in the end of 2009 was.

RUCK4444

You were being hyperbolic when you said that he was carrying the team and tried to undermine his teammates. And Rooney get deserved extra praised by being in the conversation for top to 5-10 in the world, that's high praise.
Again your misinterpreting what I’ve said, I clearly meant in an attacking sense. I’ve been pretty clear and only responded on squad quality that you have posed in your own replies, like Berbatov and Nani being hugely inconsistent (shock horror!) and Valencia being workman-like rather than any sort of goal scoring dominant winger. Nothing excessive there, just accurate and goes with my point that Rooney had it all to do in order to bring us consistent attacking threat in the most difficult league of all.

It’s an obvious observation for anybody who watched that team in that period. Its more to do with the manager of course but Rooney was the difference for us in a team way less talented (attacking wise) than it had been previously. If you don’t want to acknowledge that then good for you.

JPRouve

Scout
There was a short period before RVP, Falcao, Lewa, Robben, Ribery etc and when the old guard was fading (Totti, Henry, Kaka, Sheva) that Rooney and Iniesta were probably competing for the 3rd best player. Iniesta hold on for years while Rooney started declining by 2011. Even though he was immense in 2011-2012, Saf saw that he could not lead us to a title in a way RVP did. So yeah maybe for few months in the end of 2009 was.
Robben first top season was 09/10 and Xavi was generally better than Iniesta in particular during the 2008/2011 period and it's also when Eto'o was ridiculously good for Barcelona. Football fans were blessed with many world class players at their best without actual deep in quality.

JPRouve

Scout
Again your misinterpreting what I’ve said, I clearly meant in an attacking sense. I’ve been pretty clear and only responded on squad quality that you have posed in your own replies, like Berbatov and Nani being hugely inconsistent (shock horror!) and Valencia being workman-like rather than any sort of goal scoring dominant winger. Nothing excessive there, just accurate and goes with my point that Rooney had it all to do in order to bring us consistent attacking threat in the most difficult league of all.

It’s an obvious observation for anybody who watched that team in that period. Its more to do with the manager of course but Rooney was the difference for us in a team way less talented (attacking wise) than it had been previously. If you don’t want to acknowledge that then good for you.
I don't know if I' misinterpreting what you said or if you are moving the goalpost as the conversation goes. You said that he carried us to the level of Barcelona if you were talking about the attack then it makes little sense since we weren't at the level of Barcelona or even Chelsea from an attacking point of view, we had a top defense and midfield though. And no one didn't acknowledge that he was our best attacking player, I literally labeled him as the brilliant centerpiece of our attack.

And none of it is that significant when it comes to who was the third best player in the world, it doesn't give Rooney a particular edge over other players, particularly when if we use your rating of the PL, someone like Drogba would be in the conversation, the same would be true for Tevez who was even more important for a poorer version of City.

klsv

He wasn't because United has been shit since SAF left and the fans online now think we've always been shit and rather underrate our best players. Trying to be so objective that they think it's impossible for our record scorer to be anywhere the the best in the world.

RUCK4444

I don't know if I' misinterpreting what you said or if you are moving the goalpost as the conversation goes. You said that he carried us to the level of Barcelona if you were talking about the attack then it makes little sense since we weren't at the level of Barcelona or even Chelsea from an attacking point of view, we had a top defense and midfield though. And no one didn't acknowledge that he was our best attacking player, I literally labeled him as the brilliant centerpiece of our attack.

And none of it is that significant when it comes to who was the third best player in the world, it doesn't give Rooney a particular edge over other players, particularly when if we use your rating of the PL, someone like Drogba would be in the conversation, the same would be true for Tevez who was even more important for a poorer version of City.
I said essentially that he ‘carried us’ in an attacking sense, I mean he’s not a goalkeeper or defender is he, but in more than just scoring goals, in his all round attacking abilities, he was the driving force of the team during a time where we had far less attacking options than previously, in the wake of losing our best player in Ronaldo. That he was comfortably the best player in the league at that time and in my opinion for that period the 3rd best player behind Ronaldo and Messi.

Drogba and Tevez are in the conversation as you rightly pointed out, in a goal scoring sense, but Rooney was the best all round player in the league at that time, no doubt about that imo.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
There was a time when Rooney was one of the best players in Europe. He was an unreal talent.

Hammondo

Iniesta was leagues better than Rooney, it's not even close.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
In their later period yes I agree. But from 2006 till 2010, I wouldn't say Iniesta was leagues better.
technically he was a couple of levels above Rooney and his importance to that Barcelona team....He was just a lot better as a footballer. In fact he is one of the best pure footballers I’ve seen.

led_scholes

technically he was a couple of levels above Rooney and his importance to that Barcelona team....He was just a lot better as a footballer. In fact he is one of the best pure footballers I’ve seen.
Iniesta, in terms of technique, is better also than Ronaldo.But that doesn't make him a better player. Up until 2007, Rooney was as important as Ronaldo for us. I think people tend to underestimate how good he was due to the fact that he became a championship player after 2015.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He was. He literally was, being voted Players' and Fans' Player of the Year ahead of Drogba. The latter only overcame him in the last few games (including a hat-trick in a 8:0 trashing of Wigan) with Rooney struggling with an injury since April. That's not to say that Drogba wasn't amazing that year, he was and Chelsea were a machine... but Rooney was better.
I guess you're the same person who also thinks Jorghino is 3rd best player in the world according to Ballon d'Or voting this year. I couldn't care less about popularity contests or such things.

A 31-year-old Drogba went to AFCON for 6 weeks and a 24-year-old Rooney still ended up with inferior stats than Drogba despite having extra advantage lmfao.

Chelsea was an amazing team that season, but it doesn't take anything away from Drogba as the clear-cut best player in England from 09/10 season. And like I said, nobody with a straight face would think he was ever 3rd best player at point of his career. Do you also discredit Messi's & Cristiano's stats while playing for ridiculously stacked teams? Barca & Madrid used to score a crap ton of goals in every game throughout 2010s.

At the end of the day, a striker is judged by goals + assists. Lewandowski, thanks to his stats, is clearly a better player than Rooney ever was despite the latter has better "all-around game". Wayne Rooney isn't even on same echelon as

Last edited: