Watching the Throne by The Throne

Neutral

BTV

Jay-Z and Kanye

anyone D/L this album yet?

No Church in the Wild
Gotta Have It
Who Gon Stop Me

it's alright, not the biggest Kanye fan though...so that's probably clouding my judgment.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Forced myself to listen to it.

Really really disliked it. I can't tell you how far I've gone from both Jay-Z and Kanye West.

I listen back to what they did together a decade ago now, it's beyond sad.

puNANI

Didn't like. Will download deluxe version soon to see if I like any of the hidden tracks. Expected better production and more creativity.

Neutral

BTV
Didn't like. Will download deluxe version soon to see if I like any of the hidden tracks. Expected better production and more creativity.
I got the deluxe stuff, the whole thing is a waste of time.

Can't remember the last time I was this underwhelmed, and I had low expectations for this album to start with :lol::lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Forced myself to listen to it.

Really really disliked it. I can't tell you how far I've gone from both Jay-Z and Kanye West.

I listen back to what they did together a decade ago now, it's beyond sad.
Yup, this can't hold a candle to their earlier stuff. Like I said in another thread, just 2 overinflated egos sucking each other off

Hectic

Supports
30fps
It's an awful awful album, what the feck happened to them? How can they both think this is the pinnacle of their careers?

Mick1991

I knew it would be awful......my mate who loves Big Sean wouldn't shut up about how great it was going to be. Cursed.

Stretch

The album starts of so well with a good track "No church in the wild" and then it tapers off too much. So many filler tracks that seem rushed with sketchy production at best. New Day is a good track as well as The Joy which is only a bonus but should have made the original cut. The album has about 3-4 great tracks and 3-4 are absolute dross like Lift Off and Welcome to the Jungle and then there's a few debatable tracks.

For a such a supposed 'massive moment in rap history' this was mediocrity at its best. It doesn't even seem as if Kanye and Jay connected in the studio. Compare this to Bad Meets Evil and Distant Relatives. Those two collaborations had such better chemistry compared to this. And for 90% of the album Hov and Ye are going on about their indulgence in expensive things yet for all that money and talent they couldn't come up with something better than this.

6/10 at best for me...

Sam

The production is brilliant imo. I don't get the criticism of that? :confused: But then again I wouldnt expect anything less then perfect production wise from a Kanye Album. Some of the lyrics do leave you feeling a bit underwhelmed though it has to be said. Jay really doesn't seem to be bothered on about 75% of what he spits these days, its a shame. Especially when you then get a track that he just destroys and you remember just how talented he is. But yeah, there are some quality tracks. Nigg*s in Paris is fecking fantastic. New Day and Made in America both quite emotional and deep. Murder to excellence is quality too. Love Otis too.

Sam

Btw, anyone else feel that when you listen to Jay recently he's really having to work hard. His voice isnt sounding natural and smooth, he's not flowing well. Its like he's breathing harder and not just spitting naturally. Or is it just me? :confused:

CantonaVeron

Very good album, the production is what I expect from Kanye right what it should be. Its a little different for Jay-Z he basically rapping on beats that I would guess he wouldn't normally pick but he does well and has some real highlights talking on some peronal subjects. My favorite tracks are Murder to Excellence, New Day, Why I love You and Illest motherfecker alive. Beans gets killed on Why I Love You always wondered why someone would go at someone who basically put you on. People will hate because its different, people always want reasonable doubt or college drop out but Jay-Z and Kanye always move forward trying different things to move the genre forward.

Stretch

The production is brilliant imo. I don't get the criticism of that? :confused: But then again I wouldnt expect anything less then perfect production wise from a Kanye Album. Some of the lyrics do leave you feeling a bit underwhelmed though it has to be said. Jay really doesn't seem to be bothered on about 75% of what he spits these days, its a shame. Especially when you then get a track that he just destroys and you remember just how talented he is. But yeah, there are some quality tracks. Nigg*s in Paris is fecking fantastic. New Day and Made in America both quite emotional and deep. Murder to excellence is quality too. Love Otis too.
The production is sensational, anybody doubting that is just hating in my opinion, not sure how Jay keeps letting Kanye outrap him though.
Very good album, the production is what I expect from Kanye right what it should be. Its a little different for Jay-Z he basically rapping on beats that I would guess he wouldn't normally pick but he does well and has some real highlights talking on some peronal subjects. My favorite tracks are Murder to Excellence, New Day, Why I love You and Illest motherfecker alive. Beans gets killed on Why I Love You always wondered why someone would go at someone who basically put you on. People will hate because its different, people always want reasonable doubt or college drop out but Jay-Z and Kanye always move forward trying different things to move the genre forward.
I wholeheartedly disagree on the production. It's brilliant on some tracks (about 3-4) and horrendous on the rest. And CantonaVeron, I'm not even one of those people who hate because of progression, I'm just comparing this to Ye's last album which was stellar in production. There's no comparison for me between Ye's album and this album in production. Take Nigg*s in Paris, it sounds like a kindergarten beat. Don't get me started on the techno rave shit on Lift Off. Take the last 45 seconds of Lift Off's beat and make that the main beat and you have a winner...poor beat choice IMO, and there's many that agree with me. Take the production on Made in America, really, I mean really? Another one, Who Gon Stop Me. Way too dubstep like, it hurts my ears everytime I listen to it. So I'm gon stop you, skip without fail.

Now add to that Jay keeps rapping about the same thing over and over again like black version of Eminem. And Ye auto tuning the whole album through. Someone needs to tell him that he doesn't sound all that great autotuning.

Finally, for what this album was suppose to be and for what it was hailed to be, it is a major let down and anyone who actually thinks its quality work from one of the top producers and best rappers, well then you must be used the dross the likes Weezy put out. In the same way that you guys say anyone who criticizes this album must be people stuck in their ways, in that very same way you must be praising the album purely because of the names making it and the hype they created around the album. And that's my honest to god opinion.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
The production is sensational, anybody doubting that is just hating in my opinion, not sure how Jay keeps letting Kanye outrap him though.
Boss, you probably think the production for Destiny Childs album was sensational.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
To be fair, Destiny's Child did have quite a few very well produced tracks..

I'm going to sum up my opinion on this album via one track - Otis.

It's a track called Otis. Otis, as in Otis Redding. It's sampled a track by Otis Redding. Is it a track about Otis Redding? No. OK, is it a track that has something to do with what Otis Redding is talking about in the sample?..No. Not that either. It's a track about how many cars they have...Possibly? Or how many watches. One of the two. What? Why?...Who wants to hear that? (Boss) ..Why call it Otis? What the feck is that about? Then they start screaming out of tune at the end.

I don't have much problem with the Production (apart from the Auto Tuning, which is just embarrassing). It's not amazing by any stretch and some of it is awful, but there are a few very nice beats (or more accurately, some very nice bits of beats, which are generally butchered by throwing in something gimmicky.) Murder to Excellence is a lovely beat IMO (well, it is for about two minutes then it starts to grate a little) But my problem with this, as with almost all the kind of Hip Hop Boss likes, is that this album tells me nothing about anything aside from what utter self important pillocks these two men have become. The lyrics are completely irrelevant and gimmicky...In fact about 70% of this album is a gimmick.

adexkola

Supports

ruudwho?

They rated Wu Tang's "Legendary Weapons" a 5. 5. 5 over 10. Did you hear it? It was much more than a 5/10 ffs

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Wu-Tang: Legendary Weapons

They rated Gucci Mane's last album a 7.9 over 10. Gucci.

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Gucci Mane: Writings on the Wall II

Basically, they can stick their ratings up their asses.
Fair point, but Metacritic has it at 80/100 right now

Watch the Throne Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

But reviews can only tell you a certain amount, its all down to personal preference at the end of the day. If you liked it, cool, if not, equally cool.

It shouldn't actually make any difference what someone else says to you about the album if you like the way it sounds.

EDIT: To answer your question, no I've not heard Legendary Weapons yet but I've just downloaded it... RZA's verse on Start The Show.. his flow is immense :eek:

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Dreadful album. I expected so much more, the hype behind this and the reviews it received suggested it was a classic - it is not. Personally, I thought Eminem-Royce's album was a far better collaboration than this.

Stretch

Dreadful album. I expected so much more, the hype behind this and the reviews it received suggested it was a classic - it is not. Personally, I thought Eminem-Royce's album was a far better collaboration than this.
Add to that Nas and Damian Marley's album.

I can't see how this is getting rave reviews. I think it's all down to reputations.

Sam

Right, having listened to it a good few times I've come to this conclusion...

It's not as good as I was hoping for (maybe thats because expectations were to high?) and the chemistry isnt quite on the level as Eminem/Royce or Nas/Marley (but saying that you can see the genuine chemistry between the two in the Otis video) But anyways, to the actual album...For me, the first 6 tracks (No Church in the Wild, Lift Off, Nig*s in Paris, Otis, Gotta Have It and New Day) are fantastic. Then it tails off for a few songs before coming back hard with Murder to excellence and Made in America, before once again tailing off. Personally I'd have been quite happy to have just seen the album made up with these 8 tracks, with maybe a few bonuses like H.A.M and Why I love you.

So yeah, overall not quite on the level I was expecting/hoping...but still a good solid album with the odd flashes of quality one liners.

adexkola

Supports
Right, having listened to it a good few times I've come to this conclusion...

It's not as good as I was hoping for (maybe thats because expectations were to high?) and the chemistry isnt quite on the level as Eminem/Royce or Nas/Marley (but saying that you can see the genuine chemistry between the two in the Otis video) But anyways, to the actual album...For me, the first 6 tracks (No Church in the Wild, Lift Off, Nig*s in Paris, Otis, Gotta Have It and New Day) are fantastic. Then it tails off for a few songs before coming back hard with Murder to excellence and Made in America, before once again tailing off. Personally I'd have been quite happy to have just seen the album made up with these 8 tracks, with maybe a few bonuses like H.A.M and Why I love you.

So yeah, overall not quite on the level I was expecting/hoping...but still a good solid album with the odd flashes of quality one liners.
I was going to post what you did, exactly. Gave it a few spins, the chemistry isn't perfect, there are some filler tracks, but it's a solid 7/10 at least. And "New Day" is just brilliant.