Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

stevoc

Obviously the Birmingham board do not realize that it isn't the manager at fault it's the structural issues above him and of course the entire squad needs changing. If anything they should have extended his contract.

Oscar Bonavena

Wonder where Wayne will end up after this.

While I generally like to see ex United players do well in management, there's also the niggling worry that any sort of half decent job they do will see them emerge as "front-runners" for the United job if and when it's ever available, purely by dint of the fact that they played for United.

A bit like Lampard getting the Chelsea job because he took Derby to the play off final, that sort of thing!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Almost all SAF trained and breed fails big time as managers.

And i dont count Blanc since he's only with us a few years.

I'm talking about those who spent most of their times under SAF. They're too ingrained with SAF method they probably lack the basic fundamental of European football.

Barcelona Ajax graduate seems to be better in management since I suspect they really taught them the technical aspect since much early on compared to the swashbuckling United DNA

Cloud7

I wonder if/when we'll see one of our ex players become a quality manager. As it stands right now Ole is the best of the lot and he wasn't anything spectacular. From the SAF era, Carrick is probably the last remaining hope.

That being said, Wayne has always been a very intelligent footballer. I do wonder if perhaps all the aspects of being a head coach are a bit too much for some of these guys, but being coaches might be more appropriate for them. Same goes for some of the other ex players turned managers. Lampard, for example, who has largely been a disaster as a manager. If he were to become part of a coaching staff, I can hardly imagine a better person to coach midfielders on how to improve their goalscoring than him.

Then there's also the consideration that a manager may have good ideas, but not be able to bring it forward/impart it onto their players, which I think is one of the most important traits that separate the best managers from the rest. I don't doubt for a second that Moyes, Rangnick, Ole, Potter, Lampard, Gerrard etc. all have visions in their head of dominant, attacking football, but figuring out how to bring it to life is a different story.

Oranges038

I wonder if/when we'll see one of our ex players become a quality manager. As it stands right now Ole is the best of the lot and he wasn't anything spectacular. From the SAF era, Carrick is probably the last remaining hope.

That being said, Wayne has always been a very intelligent footballer. I do wonder if perhaps all the aspects of being a head coach are a bit too much for some of these guys, but being coaches might be more appropriate for them. Same goes for some of the other ex players turned managers. Lampard, for example, who has largely been a disaster as a manager. If he were to become part of a coaching staff, I can hardly imagine a better person to coach midfielders on how to improve their goalscoring than him.

Then there's also the consideration that a manager may have good ideas, but not be able to bring it forward/impart it onto their players, which I think is one of the most important traits that separate the best managers from the rest. I don't doubt for a second that Moyes, Rangnick, Ole, Potter, Lampard, Gerrard etc. all have visions in their head of dominant, attacking football, but figuring out how to bring it to life is a different story.
Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes and even Gordon Strachan have had better managerial careers than Ole.

Oranges038

Blanc has to be the most successful ex-Fergie player, right?
Probably but really he was only at Utd at the tail end of his career. People generally look at players who played the bulk of their career under him.

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
Almost all SAF trained and breed fails big time as managers.

And i dont count Blanc since he's only with us a few years.

I'm talking about those who spent most of their times under SAF. They're too ingrained with SAF method they probably lack the basic fundamental of European football.

Barcelona Ajax graduate seems to be better in management since I suspect they really taught them the technical aspect since much early on compared to the swashbuckling United DNA
This. At some point, you need a better game plan than “Just go out there and do your best lads”

SparkedIntoLife

Can't help thinking whoever leaked the audio of a 14 year old defending his father (albeit in a careless way) is a colossal coward. It looks worse on the person who made it public rather than the kid himself.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Can't help thinking whoever leaked the audio of a 14 year old defending his father (albeit in a careless way) is a colossal coward. It looks worse on the person who made it public rather than the kid himself.
Yep. That's why I asked about his age earlier, feels super weird that this was leaked.

JediSith

Blanc has to be the most successful ex-Fergie player, right?
Someone mentioned he at United for so little time it shouldn’t really be counted and I kind of agree. While I think he obviously learnt something from SAF, I doubt SAF or United are the most influential manager and team in his life.

JediSith

This. At some point, you need a better game plan than “Just go out there and do your best lads”
Yeah. Something that is often mistaken about SAF is the “go out and play” maybe even by his own players. Really we had tactics and a style of play that changed over 3-4 generations but I think they were mostly worked on by the coaching staff and assistant , this is definitely true with Carlos Quiroz.

So SAF wouldn’t go to hard on the tactics before 99% of matches because the team was already drilled and usually heavy favourites. Expect for key matches eg Milan when he instructed Park to stick to Pirlo, or vs Arsenal when ex players say he’d make specific adjustments.

Very likely with SAF, the players should have learnt not only from him but also from his coaches and assistant. In fact with football nowadays being mostly about head coaches, they might have been better off focusing more on the likes of Quiroz, Kidd, dare I saw McLaren etc

Peter Guillam

Completely agree. My first thought reading that leak was why is this guy talking to children online? Leaking the conversation (and removing your own comments from it) is cowardly, but even reaching out to a minor in the first place is just really weird.