Wayne Rooney arrested for drink driving | Two-year driving ban

Andersons Dietician

In extreme circumstances as you state but you can't just refuse as you don't want to. Doesn't work like that.
It's within your rights to do so which was what I said. You were saying it isn't. Now "in extreme circumstances" no it's still within your rights to refuse that initial test. Of course you can't just be like hell no and not give a reason, but even if you say something like I'd rather do it at the station than use an inaccurate test they aren't going to force you to take it.

And I'm sorry the only nightmare I've had on this thread is people refuting add campaigns, governments, experts, support groups, news paper stories and pretending like they know more than multiple legit sources including police information sites.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Am I wrong thinking that a pro footballers should not be drinking at all, not just restrict themselves during main season? You are paid to be a professional athlete, very well paid at that, keeping your body in top physical condition should be bare minimum expected from you.
I think so. There is drinking and there is excessive drinking. The latter can mean 10-15 hour drinking session or to drink whenever you have a chance to drink. That is the problem.
But having an occasional night off, especially during the off-season and to have a control of yourself in terms that you know what you're doing or to not get yourself wrecked. Well, I really don't see any issues with that. Plenty of them does it and it won't harm them in long-term.

finneh

Am I wrong thinking that a pro footballers should not be drinking at all, not just restrict themselves during main season? You are paid to be a professional athlete, very well paid at that, keeping your body in top physical condition should be bare minimum expected from you.
I don't think that's a great deal to ask of a highly well paid top level professional athlete.

There's also a huge difference though between having 3 pints or a few glasses of wine a couple of times a week during the off season or on holiday and having enough to completely impair your judgment and potentially impact your performances.

I don't know why these kind of things aren't part of their contracts. Being fined a couple of weeks wages for drinking, smoking or being out past curfew during the season should be a normal clause in my view. With the money clubs invest in players you'd expect a two way street of commitment.

SirAF

Ageist
Of course not. I agree 100%.

There's a reason why Ronaldo is in peak condition.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
With the increasing amounts being earned it should almost be a contractual obligation not to drink. If footballers were paid closer to the average salary of the UK, Germany or where ever then I think it would be OK to drink but when millions are at stake and the wages are fast approaching 7 figures a week then footballers should be expected if not required to be in peak physical condition.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He drove drunk according to the complaint. If found guilty he'll probably be stripped of driving privileges for a while. Apart from that, one hopes that he learns from this.
You would like to think so. But given how this isn't the first, or even third time he has treated them like this I wouldn't be hopeful.

Red_toad

His bender while at England duty was not off-season.. Neither was the suspension Ferguson gave him before the Blackburn (?) match.
Think you need to read my post again! Not once have I stated he doesn't drink during the season. Just pointing out anything he does is magnified, so once every 6 months drink gets blown out of all proportion. Unless you're his family or a drinking buddy, you've no idea how often or infrequently he drinks.

SirAF

Ageist
Think you need to read my post again! Not once have I stated he doesn't drink during the season. Just pointing out anything he does is magnified, so once every 6 months drink gets blown out of all proportion. Unless you're his family or a drinking buddy, you've no idea how often or infrequently he drinks.
That's fair.

But I do honestly believe that just ONE such incident is one too many for a pro athlete.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think so. There is drinking and there is excessive drinking. The latter can mean 10-15 hour drinking session or to drink whenever you have a chance to drink. That is the problem.
But having an occasional night off, especially during the off-season and to have a control of yourself in terms that you know what you're doing or to not get yourself wrecked. Well, I really don't see any issues with that. Plenty of them does it and it won't harm them in long-term.
In a way you are correct and there is no harm in somebody having an occasional drink in the middle of the off-season but it's hard to determine at which point it becomes too much and is actually harming your ability to stay in top shape. For top footballers who have millions invested in them in transfer fees and salaries, on top of the money it costs to develop them, I would say it should be a contractual obligation to never exceed certain alcohol intake. Then in case they were ever found to go above their limit, clubs would have the right to withhold their pay for a certain amount of time and if it does not help, after second or third abuse they would be able to terminate contract and seek compensation from the player (like Chelsea did when Mutu was found guilty of using drugs and had to pay close to £20m).

lewwoo

I've never understood why they can't just hold off until they retire. Surely you'd want to be the best you could be for the few short years of your career. Then you can party for the rest of your life if you wanted without ever having to do another days work.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I've never understood why they can't just hold off until they retire. Surely you'd want to be the best you could be for the few short years of your career. Then you can party for the rest of your life if you wanted without ever having to do another days work.
Forget that, they're rich enough to have their own pub and can always ask a few friends to come along, heck he can open a pub at his mansion and take commoners in without having to go out.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
In a way you are correct and there is no harm in somebody having an occasional drink in the middle of the off-season but it's hard to determine at which point it becomes too much and is actually harming your ability to stay in top shape. For top footballers who have millions invested in them in transfer fees and salaries, on top of the money it costs to develop them, I would say it should be a contractual obligation to never exceed certain alcohol intake. Then in case they were ever found to go above their limit, clubs would have the right to withhold their pay for a certain amount of time and if it does not help, after second or third abuse they would be able to terminate contract and seek compensation from the player (like Chelsea did when Mutu was found guilty of using drugs and had to pay close to £20m).
Agree that it's hard to determine where the line is or at which point it becomes too much and harms your ability.

All clubs already have their regulations about appropriate behavior expected from their players which rules are part of their contracts. If the players break them they can be sanctioned by financial penalty, suspension or even termination of the contract and in harder cases as you said even seek compensation (Mutu). Rooney will also be sanctioned according to that.
Although these regulations can be different or more strict from club to club pretty much all obey players to have correct social behavior and have a lifestyle which will maintain their ability to perform at the highest level. Alcohol usage is also covered in all of these rules.

I still think that total ban on alcohol usage is too harsh as during your holiday you suppose to relax and occasional night off where you can have a few pints and glasses of wine should always be allowed. Don't just think it would be too harsh to forbid it but that even it can be counterproductive.

Since we see so much increase of investment in the players as you say, where they receive an obscene amount of money, rules should be probably even more strict. Maybe in the future, we will see alcohol bans for players during the course of the season which wouldn't be so unreasonable.

Don't know, maybe Van Gaal, since he is in retirement, could have some open public speech or presentation on the subject. :D

Andersons Dietician

Binge drinking is obviously not good for an athlete but there are studies that show a beer or 2 after training helps your body heal, the same with wine. Infact wine supposedly helps increase life expectancy. Obviously within moderation. Can't be hammering 2 bottles every night and expect not to have health issues.

There is also the mental aspect of it, supposedly the ritual helps relieve stress and helps promote mental harmony by relaxing you. I.e. Meaning you perform at your best.

Your foods and stuff are probably more what affects your body. Rumour has it he loves junk food and that stuff will affect his bodies performance more if he consumes it on a regular basis over say keeping count of his macros and so on.

Also if you start puttin sanctions on you can't do this, or that and so on you're now approaching a level of slavery. There will be clauses like a morality clause and stuff about not bringing the clubs into distribute.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Binge drinking is obviously not good for an athlete but there are studies that show a beer or 2 after training helps your body heal, the same with wine. Infact wine supposedly helps increase life expectancy. Obviously within moderation. Can't be hammering 2 bottles every night and expect not to have health issues.

There is also the mental aspect of it, supposedly the ritual helps relieve stress and helps promote mental harmony by relaxing you. I.e. Meaning you perform at your best.

Your foods and stuff are probably more what affects your body. Rumour has it he loves junk food and that stuff will affect his bodies performance more if he consumes it on a regular basis over say keeping count of his macros and so on.
Diet is another thing they should heavily look at while they are playing. As for alcohol, drinking moderately might not be harmful but a line needs to be drawn somewhere and I don't think it should be acceptable to cross it regardless of whether you are in the middle of the season or on your vacation, if you are a professional athlete.

Robertd0803

Why did Rooney tweet him that originally?
Rio lost his drivers license because of speeding, if I remember correctly.
I always thought it was when Rooney joined Twitter first he didn't quite get the hang of it, remember when he called himself out for a fight? :lol::lol:

Makes sense to me now if Rio had lost his license and makes Rios tweet the other day make more sense.

Sterling Archer

Binge drinking is obviously not good for an athlete but there are studies that show a beer or 2 after training helps your body heal, the same with wine. wine supposedly helps increase life expectancy. Obviously within moderation. Can't be hammering 2 bottles every night and expect not to have health issues.

Also if you start puttin sanctions on you can't do this, or that and so on you're now approaching a level of slavery. There will be clauses like a morality clause and stuff about not bringing the clubs into distribute.
I wonder if anyone has up their sleeve whether that's anecdotal or results from a robust controlled blind study? Because the polyphenols in (red) wine that everyone refers to as being good for longevity are found in greater abundance in many nuts and fruits. I think it's just one of those excuses to feel better about drinking.

Also, really sad to see all this with the plan for infidelity in addition to the drink driving. Shame for Colleen. No sympathy for Wayne.

Andersons Dietician

Diet is another thing they should heavily look at while they are playing. As for alcohol, drinking moderately might not be harmful but a line needs to be drawn somewhere and I don't think it should be acceptable to cross it regardless of whether you are in the middle of the season or on your vacation, if you are a professional athlete.
How do they enforce that without putting them under 24hr observation? That'll never happen they'll probably have again expectation or performance clauses where they have to be within a certain body fat % and certain athletic test requirements. But to enforce it again you're in a slavery or imprisonment area which would be a big issue in itself.

Lots of athletes will drink and it'll be tolerated by organisations and so on, but it's things like this, not bringing attention to it to give people ammunition.
Morality clause I'd guess getting drunk and behind the wheel is a huuuuuge violation of that and imagine his sponsors could have grounds to terminate contracts and so would Everton if they really wanted to. Imagine he'll get a huge fine from them.
His profile as well has magnified the drinking incidents. There was another footballer not long ago band for drink driving and I'm sure there was another one at Arsenal yet not as big stories. I think it was Ramsey. I'll have to double check.

Andersons Dietician

I wonder if anyone has up their sleeve whether that's anecdotal or results from a robust controlled blind study? Because the polyphenols in (red) wine that everyone refers to as being good for longevity are found in greater abundance in many nuts and fruits. I think it's just one of those excuses to feel better about drinking.

Also, really sad to see all this with the plan for infidelity in addition to the drink driving. Shame for Colleen. No sympathy for Wayne.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090429205609.htm
After a quick google search There were heaps of studies but one that caught my eye was just a claim by a 107yr old man that the reason he lived so long was due to drinking wine. 4 bottles a day apparently:lol:
I know there are a lot of anti oxidants in wine but 4 bottles a day surely your liver would be shot.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Players like Ronaldo and Bale never drink any alcohol

Sterling Archer

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090429205609.htm
After a quick google search There were heaps of studies but one that caught my eye was just a claim by a 107yr old man that the reason he lived so long was due to drinking wine. 4 bottles a day apparently:lol:
I know there are a lot of anti oxidants in wine but 4 bottles a day surely your liver would be shot.
Sweet. Thanks for linking this. Properly controlled studies in nutrition are so challenging and expensive. That's one of the challenges in countering this low fat shit everywhere. The original doctrine about fat being the only thing problematic about diets was based on poorly design study and misinterpreted data. But once it was in people's heads it's spread like wildfire. Seems like the healthful link with boozing is similarly tenuous.

4 bottles! A day!?! Hahaha incredible.

lewwoo

Players like Ronaldo and Bale never drink any alcohol
I suppose it's easy for me to say now at 36 and a bit more mature but I'd like to think I would give myself 100% to football if I was lucky enough to be in their position. Maybe if I was 20 with the world at my feet it might be harder to resist the party lifestyle though so I can see why some go off the rails.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I suppose it's easy for me to say now at 36 and a bit more mature but I'd like to think I would give myself 100% to football if I was lucky enough to be in their position. Maybe if I was 20 with the world at my feet it might be harder to resist the party lifestyle though so I can see why some go off the rails.
Yeah, I earned a pittance at 20 and I stlll blew it all on useless pursuits.

Andersons Dietician

Sweet. Thanks for linking this. Properly controlled studies in nutrition are so challenging and expensive. That's one of the challenges in countering this low fat shit everywhere. The original doctrine about fat being the only thing problematic about diets was based on poorly design study and misinterpreted data. But once it was in people's heads it's spread like wildfire. Seems like the healthful link with boozing is similarly tenuous.

4 bottles! A day!?! Hahaha incredible.
Yeah just thinking about it, you could never get this info without breaking some serious laws. Surely it must have just been a survey then compiling of numbers. As even if you were to lock up case studies and monitor them 24/7 there would be so many other environmental and nutritional factors. Not to mention every subject would have different results.
The only reason I knew of the wine thing was due to some article I read about people in France and Italy living longer due to drinking wine more regularly. Not binging. However I'm sure I also read somewhere that in some Asian countries due to people eating more fish they also lived longer.

Absolute mindfield with which seems like no real answer.

1974_Fergie_Time

One thing still unknown in this case and i guess we will find out when it goes to court

When Kirsty G was first charged it was said she was over the limit
but at the court we find out she was 3 times over the limit

With Wayne we are told he was more than 3 times the limit - one wonders how much more than 3?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not like he had much choice there.

Has it been confirmed exactly how far over the limit he was?

prateik

Would a normal person get something similar or is the law different for rich people?