'Wayne Rooney is a sacrificial lamb and I hate it'

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Former Manchester United man Ray Wilkins has slammed the club's treatment of captain Wayne Rooney and likened the England striker to a 'sacrificial lamb.'

Rooney has been absent from the United starting XI in recent weeks, and was snubbed again by boss Jose Mourinho during the Red Devils' recent Europa league victory over Anderlecht, and had to settle for a place on the bench.

'He has been so good for Manchester United and so good for English football that I think he needs that little bit of respect and be thrown back in again,' Wilkins said during an interview with talkSPORT.

'What he has done over his career, he's sacrificed himself too much for me. He runs all over the field – he defends, he attacks, he sets up goals, he scores goals.

'Let's not forget he's England's top goalscorer and he's Manchester United's top goalscorer. This guy has been a phenomenal footballer, give him some respect.

'He's 31 years of age. When Zlatan (Ibrahimovic) plays, at 35, he plays in and around his space. He doesn't go charging all over the field and helping his teammates out. Rooney does. Rooney is a sacrificial lamb, as far as I am concerned, and I hate it.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Rooney-sacrificial-lamb-says-Ray-Wilkins.html

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Before opening this thread, i expected the quotes to come from one of the Neville brothers.

ZDwyr

Yeah, nah. If anything he has had too much respect for too long. Mourinho has handled it quite well I think. Very dignified for Wayne and the Club.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Been handled perfectly by Mourinho. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that he's off this season??

Nero

Yet again the defence of Rooney is to tell us all how good he used to be.

That's all they've got.

Last edited:

Cloud7

Won't someone please stop the Rooneyism :(

Jokes aside, this has been a long time coming. Of all the arguments the media can put out to try and make Wayne out to be a victim here, the absolute worst one I've seen is this argument that he should be allowed to play now because of what he's accomplished in the past.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Daily Mail: check
Ex United player: check
Poor old Englishman narrative: check
Supposed injustice against Englishman: check
Nonsense: check

The ingredients are all there for a classic fish and chips wrapping tbf.

AgentP

If a player is good enough, the manager will pick him. It doesn't matter if he's 20 or 40 years old.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
"He has been so good for Manchester United..."

"What he has done over his career..."

"England and Man Utd topscorer..."

"This guy has been a phenomenal footballer..."

All true, none of that has anything to do with whether he should play at the moment.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
Since when has anyone ever taken notice of anything Ray Wilkins has said? He missed his calling as a Lahndan cabbie.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
feck off Gary, dressing up as Ray Wilkins isn't fooling anyone.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
"He has been so good for Manchester United..."

"What he has done over his career..."

"England and Man Utd topscorer..."

"This guy has been a phenomenal footballer..."

All true, none of that has anything to do with whether he should play at the moment.
Spot on.

I have no ill feeling towards Rooney but you can't afford favours in football to players because of what they've been.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
He's an idiot.

I listened to the show and he also said that we cannot out defend City, so we will need to outscore them in next weeks game. This is the City who have conceded nearly 50% more goals than us in the league.

Fully Fledged

It's the same rubbish that you hear about Wenger. When you're done you're done. There is no room for sentiment in football.

Miscemayl

"He doesn't go charging all over the field and helping his teammates out. Rooney does."

Problem is he charges all over the field and kills the team structure.

Too often we ended up with no striker because Rooney decided to run to midfield to help out (when there are others around).

That said, with Zlatan certainly out and our busy schedule, fully expect Wayne to get some game time.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is one of the most moronic things Ive heard.

Ray Wilkins is Fester from Adams Family

MrPooni

'What he has done over his career, he's sacrificed himself too much for me. He runs all over the field – he defends, he attacks, he sets up goals, he scores goals.
Maybe if our Wayne sacrificed the odd Steak Bake and cigarette here and there, he'd still have something to offer Manchester United besides his unending capacity to run around like a headless chicken when things aren't going our way.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Dear Ray,
He runs all over the field -- thats called a lack of positional discipline.
Bore off slap nuts.
regards
People who actually watch United matches.

GBBQ

Maybe if our Wayne sacrificed the odd Steak Bake and cigarette here and there, he'd still have something to offer Manchester United besides his unending capacity to run around like a headless chicken when things aren't going our way.
Exactly, Rooney has had a great career in football but his premature decline is down to how he has handled himself in the off season. He is the antithesis of players like Ronaldo, Giggs, Carrick or Zlatan who have looked to remain fit in their later career to extend their playing time.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's crazy isn't it, same age as Young and Valencia, both of whom look like infinitely better athletes.
He's younger than Ronaldo and Zlatan too who look as fit as ever.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The clues were there for a long time, like how almost every season he'd come back after the summer overweight and unfit. In fact the one season he came back in great shape was so usual everyone was gobsmacked and praising him for it, myself included instead of saying this is how it should be every year tubby, sort your shit out.