Wayne Rooney: Manchester United All Time Top Goalscorer

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Mou says he cant/wont stop rooney, if he wants to leave to china. I think mou would prefer him to leave so will the club but he i think wont fancy going there unless its an insane offer. Maybe MLS will be where he ends up.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
"Could anyone be critical with Zlatan [Ibrahimovic] last summer if he decided to go to China or the U.S.? Could anyone be critical with one guy with such an amazing career? No, and I think with Wayne it is the same. He owns his life, he owns his career. It's him, his family and his decision.''

"The future belongs to him and what he wants from his career, the way he wants to end it and enjoy this last part of his career belongs to him.''

That doesn't exactly sound like Mourinho sees that future here.

prath92

Looks to me like the Bayern Schweini situation. Club passive aggressive in pushing him out

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looks to me like the Bayern Schweini situation. Club passive aggressive in pushing him out
Hopefully another big club can sign him and we all throw our toys out the pram in faux-outrage when they don't play him

Needham

It was such a brilliant goal, glad for him he's got that memory. The way he economised the celebrations was typical of his attitude as well.

wolvored

Why do you think that?
Mourinho will want to bring in his own players. They will get less and less playing time and eventually ask to leave. Mourinho will say that he won't stand in anyone's way that wants to move etc and deflects it from himself getting rid of.

McUnited

Maybe it's just me but the reaction to Rooney breaking the record seems to be quite underwhelming amongst Utd supporters, compared to neutrals. Is this in part because to some Utd supporters he comes across more as a mercenary than someone like Giggs/Scholes etc.?

Theatre of Screams

Maybe it's just me but the reaction to Rooney breaking the record seems to be quite underwhelming amongst Utd supporters, compared to neutrals. Is this in part because to some Utd supporters he comes across more as a mercenary than someone like Giggs/Scholes etc.?
This is exactly it. The way he has behaved during a couple of contract negotiations he has had and also the apparent leaks that he feeds to the press. Were not many on here earlier on in the season who would have lost any sleep had we got rid in January and I remember the complete adulation on here when it was discovered he'd been benched for the Leicester game.

He may be the top scorer, but for me he will never be held in the same high regards as the likes of Charlton, Best etc.

RedDevil-85

Congrats to Wayne Rooney! :devil:
Well deserved and a fantastic achievment.He has done what no other United player has managed to do in the past 40+ years.
The freekick to break the record was a peach too:drool:

clarkydaz

id say just as much how his form has nosedived last few years. undroppable when clearly terrible (though not his fault), moaning about not being able to play centre mid for the next 3 years etc. all adds up

unitedforeveral

I have grown up watching you play. You will always be my favourite player. Many Congratulations and i only wish you be a regular at United for many years to come. Please do not choose the Chinese league. I would respect you even more if you left and went back to Everton.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

surf

Congrats. His record will stand for a while, methinks. Don't see anyone else in the current squad breaking it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Giggs, Scholes, Robson? If Wayne deserves one shouldn't they?

At this rate Old Trafford will end up more Madame Tussauds than a football stadium.
Why would Robbo get one?

There's an argument for Giggs maybe but not scholes

tell me why the record scorer shouldn't have one?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Shame he struggled on the whole against Everton and Liverpool but great record against some of our rivals.
Six against Milan and four against Roma is great, those Italians won't forget him. Arsenal never will either (didn't he get a couple against them for Everton as well?).

Dobbs

Why would Robbo get one?

There's an argument for Giggs maybe but not scholes

tell me why the record scorer shouldn't have one?
I don't really see the need for a Robson statue, I'm just wondering how you differentiate between players. You want a Rooney statue upon retirement, Giggs is a maybe, Robson and Scholes a no. How do you decide this?

I'm not saying Rooney shouldn't ever have a statue, I just find the calls for him to have one in the near future way over the top. These things should be built towards the end of somebody's life or after death (as they nearly always are). That way you can look back and properly assess the achievement.

Nor do I think there's much of a demand for one outside of the small group of hardcore Rooney fans.

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't really see the need for a Robson statue, I'm just wondering how you differentiate between players. You want a Rooney statue upon retirement, Giggs is a maybe, Robson and Scholes a no. How do you decide this?

I'm not saying Rooney shouldn't ever have a statue, I just find the calls for him to have one in the near future way over the top. These things should be built towards the end of somebody's life or after death (as they nearly always are). That way you can look back and properly assess the achievement.

Nor do I think there's much of a demand for one outside of the small group of hardcore Rooney fans.
That's why I said not whilst he's playing

But if anyone deserves one later, surely the record scorer does

Dobbs

That's why I said not whilst he's playing

But if anyone deserves one later, surely the record scorer does
Maybe decades later but not as you originally said upon retirement. That's way too soon. You have to let time pass to see how long a record stands, what they do after leaving the club etc.

However I still don't see it happening. Like it or not lots of fans just don't have that special bond with Rooney. Statues are reserved for those figures nobody would disagree with.

golden_blunder

Staff
Maybe decades later but not as you originally said upon retirement. That's way too soon. You have to let time pass to see how long a record stands, what they do after leaving the club etc.

However I still don't see it happening. Like it or not lots of fans just don't have that special bond with Rooney. Statues are reserved for those figures nobody would disagree with.
They are up there because they're legends. Best was a drunk wife beater ffs who left united before he was late 20s

I don't get why people disrespect Rooneys achievement. It may never be beaten again

Dobbs

They are up there because they're legends. Best was a drunk wife beater ffs who left united before he was late 20s

I don't get why people disrespect Rooneys achievement. It may never be beaten again
Lovely stuff.