Wayne Rooney rejoins Everton | United save £30M by giving him £10M pay-off

Dobbs

It's you lot that keep bringing up Ronaldo, Giggs and Zanetti. Other names have been mentioned but you choose to ignore them.

Milner, Barry, Carrick, Defoe and Baines are all players who have played a similar amount of games or far more and none of them dropped off a cliff in terms of physical condition.

Funnily enough, none of them have had regular stories about sinking 5-10 pints in sessions that occurred during the season and it's worth remembering that those are the sessions we've actually heard about.
I assure you I've had this discussion a few times and differing posters always refer to the same bunch of five or six players. Totti, Zanetti, Giggs, Miller, Ronaldo etc etc.

The argument being because they did it everybody else should be able to. Meanwhile ignoring the literal hundreds and hundreds of top players who retired by the time they hit the number of games Rooney has.

Without getting into that debate again it's just a lcomplete breakdown in logic.

I'm defending reason here not Rooney.

Dobbs

I think not adapting his game to play to his strengths is the key reason for his decline. He hasn't done it because he doesn't seem to know (or accept) what his strengths are.

The floated balls to the wing, the attempts to chip the keeper every other game, the suggestion that he is an intelligent player. Even at his best he was never a play making number 10 yet he continually dropped into midfield getting involved in the build up play.

His strengths were his finishing, his power, dribbling at speed and his workrate. He was an instinctive player, not an intelligent one. I still advocate that his best role was a wide forward but he felt he was "wasted out wide".

Like many other English players of his generation, he was massively overhyped and he believed it.
I like this post. I disagree his best position was as a wide forward but certainly his role over the years has been botched. Not sure if that was down to him or management.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The whole time he was here he was wearing Everton pyjamas. The utter scumbag!
Damn! You'd think I would've noticed them under his kit - I just thought his legs were cold.

Green_Red

It's hard to believe this guy is only 31. The last 4 years should have been his best if general logic on a players career is applied.

I was one of his biggest supporters on here I won't lie.

12/13 you cant say he had his best season but it was far from his worst and we won the league.

13/14 he was forgivable because Moyes ruined our season and that probably over shadowed the players' bad season. You're also aware players can have a bad season here and there throughout their career and bounce back.

14/15 we were shit overall but in fairness, even though we were shit, Rooney was probably still one of our better players, not our best, but not our worst, but the decline was definitely there for everyone to see, I think this is when the decline really took hold. This wasn't going to be a bounce back after a bad season kind of blip in form.

15/16 was dreadful and everyone wanted him gone.

16/17 Thank God for Jose Mourinho...

17/18 who's taking bets on retirement at the end of the season?

POF

I like this post. I disagree his best position was as a wide forward but certainly his role over the years has been botched. Not sure if that was down to him or management.
I think it's less to do with his role and more to do with how he decided he should play.

He was not a finesse player, yet regularly tried (and failed) to chip the keeper. It wouldn't be nearly as frustrating if he wasn't such a fantastic striker of the ball and far more likely to score if he just hit it.

He thought he was dictating the game by playing every pass out to the right wing. He was a great passer of the ball "like Scholes", completely ignoring the fact that passing ability as a midfielder is mainly the choice of pass rather than accurately kicking the ball to a teammate.

The biggest disappointment with Rooney is that he believed the hype and thought he was something he wasn't. That, more than anything else, meant he didn't reach the level he seemed capable of as a young player.

Dobbs

I think it's less to do with his role and more to do with how he decided he should play.

He was not a finesse player, yet regularly tried (and failed) to chip the keeper. It wouldn't be nearly as frustrating if he wasn't such a fantastic striker of the ball and far more likely to score if he just hit it.

He thought he was dictating the game by playing every pass out to the right wing. He was a great passer of the ball "like Scholes", completely ignoring the fact that passing ability as a midfielder is mainly the choice of pass rather than accurately kicking the ball to a teammate.

The biggest disappointment with Rooney is that he believed the hype and thought he was something he wasn't. That, more than anything else, meant he didn't reach the level he seemed capable of as a young player.
Agree with all that.

All I'd add is that if he couldn't see what he was good and bad at the manager should have.

I'll never understand how after that brilliant 09 season SAF thought it was a good idea to drop him deeper(and deeper). Then successive United and England managers did the same.

When Ronaldo and Messi got to around 27 their role was refined. No more charging around all over the pitch, less running, more effective in the right areas. We did the opposite with our best player. As you say though, Rooney himself was part of the problem in that regard.

goin4glory

Stinking the place up vs Sevilla. Was put out on the right wing after being terrible as a 10 in his last game. Glad the English press can have their annual "Rooney best position" debate now he's at Everton.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can we get some reactions from Grand Old Team please?

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout

Mindhunter

I assure you I've had this discussion a few times and differing posters always refer to the same bunch of five or six players. Totti, Zanetti, Giggs, Miller, Ronaldo etc etc.

The argument being because they did it everybody else should be able to. Meanwhile ignoring the literal hundreds and hundreds of top players who retired by the time they hit the number of games Rooney has.

Without getting into that debate again it's just a lcomplete breakdown in logic.

I'm defending reason here not Rooney.
That's the point isn't it? Rooney is not like those other hundreds of players. He was once in a generation talent, and the fact that he was not able to live his life in a way to maximise his playing career is a travesty.

Also, it's not like he has fallen off a cliff this season i.e. at 31. He hasn't been himself since 2014-15 season which means he was around 29 at that time and any self-respecting player who is the highest scorer for his club and country shouldn't have to go through what Rooney has gone through.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
To add another dimension of frustration about Rooney's last four years, think about the amount of players we've frustrated in order to accommodate Rooney. You wonder if Kagawa would have had a career here, if Hernandez would still be effective for us, or Nani providing a good option out wide rather than shoehorning #10s like Mata out wide. And lastly, one could argue that an aging RVP could have been a more effective player than our aging Rooney.

We've had to witness his shit play for three and a half years bar some moments of brilliance, the disruption in team cohesion because of fitting him in, lost out on players because of fitting him in, and all while the media in both the UK and the US wanking over him about things that no longer exist like his ability or more bizarrely, his footballing "brain". I'm happy with what he's achieved, but fecking hell, good riddance. Fellaini staying and Rooney leaving should tell you all you need to know.
Exactly. So many players paid for the supposed slipping standards with their United careers but this guy was accommodated in almost every way. Captaincy, having the luxury of playing different positions, rarely being subbed out, his friends in the media going on about silent domination etc etc.

Even now, we can't have bit of laugh at his expense because his supporters will moan about us being disrespectful. Always having to accommodate for Wayne Rooney. Bah.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm confused by what this thread is supposed to be about then. It looks like it's going to be like the David Moyes thread where people gave him attention or shit everytime he spoke about United but weirder because Rooney left on pretty decent terms. He's not great anymore but he's not shit either. Overall the game on Thursday was terrible, not just Rooney but everyone bar Pickford was crap. He showed glimpses of his ability still though and if he pops up with around 10 league goals which i think is attainable i'll be fairly happy. It shows how far he's dropped but for a man that is 31 and of his build i think it's fair.
I agree with half of that sentence. These past three years he has been god awful. He's capable of the odd moment of brilliance, but those are increasingly rare these days. Unless the move to Everton sparks something in him, then you'll see soon enough just how bad he's got.

AndyJ1985

I'm confused by what this thread is supposed to be about then. It looks like it's going to be like the David Moyes thread where people gave him attention or shit everytime he spoke about United but weirder because Rooney left on pretty decent terms. He's not great anymore but he's not shit either. Overall the game on Thursday was terrible, not just Rooney but everyone bar Pickford was crap. He showed glimpses of his ability still though and if he pops up with around 10 league goals which i think is attainable i'll be fairly happy. It shows how far he's dropped but for a man that is 31 and of his build i think it's fair.
He really is shit though. Some of his performances last season were shocking; right up (down?) there with some of the performances by "Worst United XI" legends like Bebe and Obertan. Unfortunately for you you'll have to find out the hard way just how bad he is.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He didn't leave on decent terms for everyone here. I like him but his horrendous performances over the past 4 or so years have definitely soured him for some.

Also, he is a very poor player now. The fact that you think he isn't "shit" is overrating him a lot.

Alabaster Codify7

A good mate of mine is a Toffee and is renowned for being completely biased towards his team and the actions of his club. He'll defend Everton to the death, they never put a foot wrong or make a bad decision.

Anyway, his head is firmly in the sand. I texted him last night, boozy, taking the mickey, like "Impressed with Wayne so far?!"

He was adamant that he's been pretty good. I have no idea how he's come to that conclusion, based on what Ive seen of him for Everton. But he's basically in denial, he doesn't wanna admit that his club have dropped a gigantic bollock by selling Lukaku and essentially replacing him and his 20+ a season with a way over the hill Wayne Rooney. So he's somehow convinced himself that Rooney is actually playing well and will contribute to the season.

I'm sticking a tenner on Koeman being gone by Xmas.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I can't wait for when he inevitably says something very shit about our club.
There will be sly digs all year. The sort of sly digs that absolve him at the same time. Also, as said above, he will contribute towards the sacking of Koeman and proceed to criticise him in the press once he is gone.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
A good mate of mine is a Toffee and is renowned for being completely biased towards his team and the actions of his club. He'll defend Everton to the death, they never put a foot wrong or make a bad decision.

Anyway, his head is firmly in the sand. I texted him last night, boozy, taking the mickey, like "Impressed with Wayne so far?!"

He was adamant that he's been pretty good. I have no idea how he's come to that conclusion, based on what Ive seen of him for Everton. But he's basically in denial, he doesn't wanna admit that his club have dropped a gigantic bollock by selling Lukaku and essentially replacing him and his 20+ a season with a way over the hill Wayne Rooney. So he's somehow convinced himself that Rooney is actually playing well and will contribute to the season.

I'm sticking a tenner on Koeman being gone by Xmas.
I don't know about that, if Sandro starts rattling them in and they recruit Sigurdsson, they have a pretty nifty squad. I expect them to achieve something similar to last year which is as good as can be expected of their club to be perfectly honest.

Classical Mechanic

It's a prediction. Come back and laugh in May.
Problem is that Koeman is coming to the end of his natural life at Everton. There is a good chance he gets sacked this year anyway if you look at average managerial tenures in the modern PL. Everton realistically peaked last year when you look at the strength and resources of the top 6. He has lost his 25 goal a season striker so it wouldn't be smart to bet on him having a good season regardless.

If it does happen it will all be Rooney's fault anyway eh :smirk:

hubbuh

Absolute legend, though I can't help but feel extremely smug that he's no longer our problem. How much do you reckon the guys at Everton have actually watched of him in recent seasons? Marketing reasons aside, the move just did not make sense. He's completely lost it and it's been painstakingly obvious for a while.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Problem is that Koeman is coming to the end of his natural life at Everton. There is a good chance he gets sacked this year anyway if you look at average managerial tenures in the modern PL. Everton realistically peaked last year when you look at the strength and resources of the top 6. He has lost his 25 goal a season striker so it wouldn't be smart to bet on him having a good season regardless,
So you agree with me?

Classical Mechanic

So you agree with me?
If you look at the stats and context it would be reasonable to bet on Koeman leaving this year with or without Rooney.

Edit

He's actually been there less time than I thought. Average tenure in the PL is 2.36 years, by the end of the season he will be on 2 so it is borderline.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
If you look at the stats and context it would be reasonable to bet on Koeman leaving this year with or without Rooney.
That's beside the point. I'm predicting Rooney to use it as an excuse.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
For him being crap?

Depends what role he takes. I think the Spanish lad is Lukaku's direct replacement. They are signing Sigurdsson which will help.
So what have they actually signed him for?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Probably because they think his experience and character will be a positive influence on the team.

Why do you think they signed him?
I'm honestly at an absolute loss. Nostalgia? They barely watched him? Profile?

R'hllor

No point discussing if people dont see anything wrong in how he let him self go last couple of years. As pro football player to be 31 and have body of 40 year old,play like you are 45, its disgrace how every you put it. Best part when some trying to defend it,they try to drop a blame on DNA.

wr8_utd

:'(
Bloody hell he's left the club and the usual suspects are still on here berating his Everton performances and still being obsessed with him. This sort of hate really is a bit unnatural.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Bloody hell he's left the club and the usual suspects are still on here berating his Everton performances and still being obsessed with him. This sort of hate really is a bit unnatural.
And the usual suspects are in here protecting him. Some things never change, eh?