Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I know he's scored better individual goals, but this team goal still gives me goosebumps.

What a goal that was. I know we won the double in 07/08 but 06/07 was just amazing with Rooney and Ronaldo making that step up and leading us to the title.

Fully Fledged

What a debut that was. At such an age too. Mental monster was Rooney. So strong.
It was a great night and I got to watch him play countless times afterwards and he was an exceptional talent even at 18 he was the complete striker having everything in his game.

Rustyspider13

Legend. Absolutely love Rooney, he gave it his all every time he went on the pitch. I'll always remember his tenacity to get the ball back if he lost it, almost ran half the pitch at times for a ball recovery. His ability to combine well with so many strike partners (RVN, Saha, Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov, Welbeck, Chicharito, RVP etc.) was fantastic as well. Hope he has a successful career as a manager.

Redlyn

Was my favourite player before Carrick took over when he arrived (who I still havent replaced ). One of our legends and all time greats for sure. An amazing player. Some of his goals were unreal and together with ronaldo it was like we were cheating.

How many times did he try to score a chip after that Portsmouth goal.:D

I didn't think he'd go into management though. Good luck to him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Was my favourite player before Carrick took over when he arrived (who I still havent replaced ). One of our legends and all time greats for sure. An amazing player. Some of his goals were unreal and together with ronaldo it was like we were cheating.

How many times did he try to score a chip after that Portsmouth goal.:D

I didn't think he'd go into management though. Good luck to him.
Neither have we!

L1nk

Seems inevitable he'll be United manager one day if he does well

Nickosaur

Rooney was sheer class. Some of the most exciting moments as a united fan when he broke through and became an integral part of the team.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I guess people were wrong when they said in his later years here that his awful performances would have a negative impact on his legacy. Now that he's retired, we still think of him as the legend he is.

Maybe he could try and sign Ozil now. He couldn't persuade Fergie to sign him in 2010 but he may have a shot now.

stu_1992

What a player in his prime. Its kind of crazy to me that he's retired as he was probably the first player that I was invested enough in to be excited about us signing. I remember being sickened when Newcastle had a bid and it looked like he might go there. Glad he ended up at us, and quite obviously for him the right call. :lol:

He can be very proud with all the trophies he won, everything basically. To be United and England's top scorers on top is just a fantastic achievement too.

Sad how early he peaked and tapered off afterwards. I'm also surprised he's only 35 now. But when he was good, he was good. We've not come close to have a front 3 as good as Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez sicne. And of course he had a few years where he was the main man up top too. He delivered in all those roles. Fantastic team player and effort above all else, which you won't see in the stats. Even when he had problems with the clubs, which definitely hurt my view of him, he still never looked like he was putting in any less effort on the pitch.

Riz

I know he's scored better individual goals, but this team goal still gives me goosebumps.

This is one of my favourite goals ever. I prefer it to the Ronaldo Arsenal counter. The finish at the end after busting a lung to run the whole length of the pitch is astonishing.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't want to hear about 'Chelsea, City, angry and confused', Wazza is a legend of the club and a legend of football.

Luke1995

35 is the standard age for players to retire. Ronaldinho and Kaká did it. Torres and Schweinsteiger aswell. Probably the right time for Rooney.

2009-2010 and 2011-12 were his best seasons for us in terms of goalscoring numbers, but from 2004-05 up until 2008-09 he was an absolute joy to watch due to everything he had in his game. The pace, the passion, the agression...

Manchester United legend. Maybe not as big as Giggs and Scholes, but still left a giant mark.

OT1214

He can take over as United Manager after Ole retires in 2035.

Eternitiy

Unreal player, an inspiration for so many United and football fans across the world. I think he'll be a very good manager too, best of luck.

Its a shame we didn't get rid of him in 2013, a huge mistake by Moyes to give him a new contract.

I know Rooney had an exceptional season in 11/12 but was never the same player after that injury against Bayern in 09/10 when he was at his peak.
Sorry, but I feel this is a pretty disrespectful post about one of the most important players in Manchester United's history. It's also untrue - Rooney still was hugely important for us and put up very good numbers even in his later years at the club. In 2013/2014, he scored 19 goals and had 15 assists in 38 League/Champions League games. In van Gaal's 2 seasons, he was still very important for us as well, even when playing in midfield. And in his final season, he continued to come up with moments of brilliance, even if he wasn't still physically at the highest level.

United58

Thanks for everything Wayne, an all time United legend
to score one goal for United would be a young boys dream come true, to hit 253 incredible, probably never to be beaten
all the best in management
not allowed (Newbie) to insert his overhead kick against Citeeh...what a goal

Farcically good goal

RUCK4444

Farcically good goal
I was there in the flesh for that goal, I don’t think I’ve ever heard such an eruption of noise like it in Old Trafford. Incredible moment :drool:

One of the very best players from the PL era. Force of nature at his best.

gica_7

What a goal that was. I know we won the double in 07/08 but 06/07 was just amazing with Rooney and Ronaldo making that step up and leading us to the title.
I agree. Not talking about in terms of the whole season but winning title in 06-07 was more fun than 07-08. We were underdogs and that always adds a dimesion. Still one of my favourite seasons.

Thanks wazza!

George the Cat

Rooney was sheer class. Some of the most exciting moments as a united fan when he broke through and became an integral part of the team.
Overrated according to another thread, supposed United fans calling Rooney and Scholes overrated. Beggars belief.

tayside red

Farcically good goal
Nice One, thanks - what a player

Great player and a United legend. In 2010 he was the best striker in the world until that Bayern game. That season still haunts me, what could have been...
A great career nevertheless, but probably didn't really maximise his potential in the end.
:nono:

MU all time top scorer, England all time top scorer - that's Max for me, trophies galore :confused:

Last edited:

slored1

Great player and a United legend. In 2010 he was the best striker in the world until that Bayern game. That season still haunts me, what could have been...
A great career nevertheless, but probably didn't really maximise his potential in the end.

Andy_Cole

If only he could’ve carried on after 30. He could’ve single handedly made sure we transitioned after Ferguson better.

Nevertheless, thank you for the memories Wazza. Hated, adored, never ignored.

United58

I was there in the flesh for that goal, I don’t think I’ve ever heard such an eruption of noise like it in Old Trafford. Incredible moment :drool:

One of the very best players from the PL era. Force of nature at his best.
Lucky man/woman! I was down at the pub... what a goal :drool:

Hansa

Legend. Still remember his debut like it was yesterday.
What an evening that was. It seemed like he could score with every single touch of the ball. And then he had that wild clearance from the halfway-line, leading to a corner kick to Fenerbache, if my memory serves me right. An early sign of the madness that made him tick.

Who did we outbid to sign him? Liverpool? Arsenal? Tottenham? Nope. Newcastle, ladies and gents. Can't believe we got him that easily. Would have turned into a right old saga today, with agents and whatnot.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
What players deserve a statue from the Ferguson era? Probably due to some of his off field antics and his transfer request I’m not sure.

But it’s certainly something to think about. I assume eventually some Fergie players will get statues

United58

:nono:

MU all time top scorer, England all time top scorer - that's Max for me, trophies galore :confused:
Think he's arguing that barring that injury, we may have won more than the League Cup in 2009/10 - we were incredibly reliant on Rooney in that season

RedDevilzFox

Would love to have Wazza back at united in some capacity. His flirting with City does not tarnish his reputation for me. CR7 did much worse and people still drool over his time on this forum.
Rooney gave his best years to United and carried us deep into post SAF era. Impeccable work ethic and desire to win remained intact. We could do with a prime Rooney right now. Would make us league favorites easily.

GueRed

Had his best years under us. Gave everything for the team right until the end.

Gave us so much joy.

Sadly was made scapegoat post-Fergie by some not so clever rat fans

Still will go down as a real legend of the club for me.

Amazing player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His best season was when he was 27
Nah, definitely 09/10 was his prime year when he turned 25. Was all around brilliant. His numbers were the same in 11/12 but his overall game suffered, especially in the 2nd half of the season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Fair feck to him, he had a great career! Could be even better of course, some was down to luck, some to his choices, but proper legend of the game! Shame about the contract shenanigans, also I don't think he gained much after transfering from United to these few clubs he played after, but I guess he was too young to retire at United.

Good luck Wayne!

Real Name

I left a too short of a post for a player who was long time my favorite United player.

First time I saw him in action was in Portugal when he tore us (Croatia) apart. England was looking very good in that tournament and I still think that was their best chance to go all the way, it seems once Rooney was injured it all went downhill although of course Portugal won on penalties so it was all a bit of bad luck. Anyway England was good in that game if not fantastic but Rooney was electrifying, he was running like a mad dog, full of energy, looked like he could score with every touch and our defenders must have had nightmares about him after the game. Luckily it was United who got him and the rest is as they say a history.

He had a truly great career, legend and one of the best United players ever and a top scorer for England, what more can you want. When it's said so often he could have been even better that's really something cause better then what he had would be out of this world. Was my favorite player and epitomized United for me. Gave everything in every game, ran for every ball, always left his heart on the pitch (is there such an expression in English in the sense of giving 100 percent), never stopped from 1st minute to the last. Was one of those players you had a feeling he's been there forever, like Raul, while still being very young. Maybe cause he burst into the scene that early his body started to give up on him too early. Combined that with maybe rushing from injuries too quickly and not living an entirely sport life and there you have it.

It's strange to read some still mind him his transfer request or requests if there was a second all the while liking a player who actively wanted out and then left more but 100 people 100 opinions I guess. As I sad he's an absolute club legend and hopefully he'll have a good managerial career.

On a side note 2007 season isnt mentioned enough. Sure in 2008 and 2009 we were great but that season was exceptional too. Everybody expected Mourinho and Chelsea to grab another title, we didnt have so much team depth and not many expeced us to go all the way but boy we did it. Returned a blow to Chelsea, started a 3 in a row and had great kits too. :) Watching us in that season was such a joy.

Walters_19_MuFc

My favourite playing of all time!

Man Utd's leading top scorer
England's top goalscorer
League titles
Champions League
and the rest........

Not a bad career!

Wish him the best of luck in his managerial career. If it's anything like his playing career, then Derby have gained one hell of a manager.