WC All Stars Chain Draft final: harms vs Tuppet

With players at indicated WC peak, who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@heroearaucano while I appreciate the effort, @Tuppet's comment was regarding the specifics of this draft — he did not question Figueroa's stance in football's history (he's unquestionably in the highest tier of center backs), but he tried to argue that his World Cup credentials weren't as impressive as, say, Baresi's/Moore's or Cannavaro's, in which he had a point.

Hopefully we'll see more of you here.

heroearaucano

@heroearaucano while I appreciate the effort, @Tuppet's comment was regarding the specifics of this draft — he did not question Figueroa's stance in football's history (he's unquestionably in the highest tier of center backs), but he tried to argue that his World Cup credentials weren't as impressive as, say, Baresi's/Moore's or Cannavaro's, in which he had a point.

Hopefully we'll see more of you here.
Speaking of Figueroa in the world cups, he played 3 from 1966 at age 17 until 1982 at age 36 (extension in years of age compared to Buffon or Carbajal).

In 1982 he played very well, but at 36 years and 9 months, he was already very slow, anyway he played as a veteran, elegant and precise, is as if Figueroa dosed his talent in proportion.

In 1974 his best age, the best match was not only against West Germany, against DDA the second time of game was exceptional. Figueroa played free from to attack, raised the spirits the team and he hit the volley goal post with the left leg(his less skillful leg). After against Australia, Figueroa was going to play as forward (words of Bonvallet), but because of the rain the game ruin. As a final fact, I do not think that for a single match they have evaluated Figueroa as the best defender of the world cup, the three games must be evaluated, otherwise it is disproportionate. You have to realize that Beckenbauer was seconded as best defender, and ends up saying "I'm the European Figueroa."

In 1966 at age 17 he made a great world cup. The game against USSR was a cult match, pity that there is little visual material, but I commissioned them to watch. Journalists in Chile claimed that this 17-year-old boy was an experienced mister, a Don.

Last edited by a moderator:

heroearaucano

Hero! Nice to see you in these parts son. Been ages since I've last read your draft related stuff on xtratime! :D

Is the rest of the draft army joining in as well?
Hello mate, great to cross theme with you!:)
By the way, there are still firecrackers left in xtratime. Odiseo, Glavisted and Msioux are on a website in Spanish and we chat by whatsapp.

By the way, my english is still very bad :lol:

heroearaucano

Figueroa and Falcao were the spinal cord of Internacional de Porto Alegre, two-time champion of Brazil.

Here the iconic image of both players together in Internacional do Porto Alegre:
(by the way, if I do not get 5 like, I can not post images)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/12/57/39/1257390d661be7fc0ad882df82f04fbd.jpg

This combination ensures that your team leaves the defensive zone with the ball dominated in counterattack.

The ball dominated from the defense allows:

1) Having greater possession of the ball during the game. The greatest possession means, impose your terms during the game.

2) This helps hold the ball in the event that your opponent presses you in your own defensive area.

3) Figueroa's play game reading allowed him to choose the precise moment to capture the ball and, as Falcao climbed through the center of the field, both arming the counterattack until the rival area.

This duo was historic! Great Team!

Last edited by a moderator: