g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

WC All Stars Chain Draft Round 1- idmanager vs MJJ

Who will win based solely on WC performances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Welcome to the WC all stars chain draft.

Please note that players must be strictly judged on the basis of the performances against the WC they are listed against.

Team idmanager

vs

Team MJJ

crappycraperson

Scout
Team idmanager Tactics

Player profiles:

Thomas N'Kono (1982) : Arguably the greatest goalkeeper Africa ever produced. African soccer had its first real break-through on the world stage in 1982. Cameroon held Peru, eventual winners Italy and semifinalists Poland to draws in the first round group. They only let in one goal, a lucky header by Italian forward Graziani, but it was enough to send them home because Italy had 2-2 in goals compared to Cameroon's 1-1. Thomas N'Kono was the main reason to their impressive defensive record. He showed goalkeeping at its finest and was nominated as one of the best goalkeepers in the tournament.

Alberto Tarantini (1978) : Part of the world cup winning Argentine team of 1978 and selected in the all stars team of the tournament. Played the role of a defensive LB alongside Passarella to great effect often covering for the CB.

Bobby Moore (1966) : World Cup winning captain of England in 1966 and one of the greatest defenders of all time. Had an immense tournament and was the best defender in it, along with assiting 2 goals in the final. Part of the all stars team of the tournament

Jose Nasazzi (1930) : World Cup winning captain of Uruguay in 1930 and one of the greatest defenders of all time. Selected as the best player of 1930 World cup and in the all stars team of the tournament.

Philip Lahm (2010): World cup winning captain in 2014 but had a great 2010 tournament as well.Lost to Spain in the semis but had a superb world cup, getting selected in the all stars team of the tournament at the end.

Luis Monti (1934) : Consecutive world winner in 1930 and 1934 and selected in the team of the tournament in both editions, albeit from different countries. Considered one of the greatest DMs of all time.

Josef Masopust (1962) : Greatest Czech footballer of all time. Captained the Czechoslovakia team in 1962 and lead them to the final losing only to Brazil, while still scoring a goal in the final. Had a spectacular world cup and won the Ballon Dor in 1962 for his WC performances. Was selected in the team of the tournament as well.

Raymond Kopa (1958) : The French attacking playmaker performed outstandingly in the 1958 and was one of the players of the tournament. Scored three goals and assisted 9 along the way. Assisted most of Just Fontaine's 13 goals in the WC. Selected in the team of the tournament and won the Ballon D'or in 1958 for his world cup performances.

Arjen Robben (2014) : The Dutch winger had one hell of a tournament smashing teams along the way with his pace and dribbling. Ran at them from all directions, be it from the left, right or centre. Selected in the team of the tournament and easily in the top 3 performers of that WC.

Jairzinho (1970) : The World Cup Hurricane won the 1970 WC scoring in all games along the way in one of the greatest teams of all time. He is one of the only 3 players in history to score in all games of a WC. Selected in the team of the tournament.

Gyorgy Sarosi (1938) : One of the greatest forwards of all time. A complete footballer. Had a brilliant 1938 WC only to lose the final to Italy while still scoring in the final. Like Jairzinho, he scored in all games of the 1938 WC as well and was selected in the team of the tournament.

Tactics:

The defense is marshalled by probably the best CB partnership of the draft in the WC context. Two captains who lead from the front in winning it for their countries. Moore-Nasazzi form the classic sweeper-stopper partnership blocking everything in the way. Moore was brilliant at starting attacks from the back and he would be playing that role here as well. Alongside Moore on the left is Tarantini, who is well verse with playing such a role with Passarella. Tarantini will be playing the role of a defensive left back. And at right back is one of the most balanced full backs of all time in Philip Lahm, who was equally good at attacking and defending. He would be mthe more ambitious of the full backs.

In the midfield we have Luis Monti to play the role of the destroyer/DM to cut any opposition attacks through the centre. Alongside him would be the box to box engine of Masopust who again was one of the few ones in history who was brilliant with and without the ball.

Ahead of them is Raymond Kopa as the primary playmaker of the team, a role he knows all about. Kopa and Masopust especially fit perfectly with each other with one being devastating from the right central channels while the other bombarding from the left. Would be tough for the opposition pivots to get a hold of them both together.

One the wings we have Jairzinho and Robben. Both super fast and great dribblers, capable of both creating and scoring. Capable of creating from the flanks or cutting in at will. While Robben is predominantly a RWF, in the 2014 world cup, he didn't have a dedicated position and played around Van Persie as and how the game went along. But the important thing being he was amazing from everywhere, be the left, right and centre, creating, shooting and scoring from all directions. The 2014 edition of him should be equally brilliant as a LWF.

And the attack is built around creating chances for Sarosi, a complete forward who was as prolific as they get.

The team is full of goals with two players scoring in all games of the WC, while others around them have scored and created plenty as well.
The defensive doesn't have any easy routes to goals with all 4 defenders and the defensive shields from the MF having great tournament in the same roles.

The defensive core of the team is so strong and balanced and hence the team would build from the back.

The team would look to transition quickly from defense to attack and try to get the ball quickly to the wingers/playmakers.

With so many great passers in the team in the form of Moore/Monti/Masopust/Lahm/Kopa, the transition should be seamless and then there is enough fire power to kill the opposition upfront.

And of course, the USP of the team, all 11 players are from 11 different countries :)

crappycraperson

Scout
Team MJJ Tactics

GK: Casillas: Best Goalkeeper in the world in 2010 and a part of the all-star team(2010) and the golden glove winner.
RB: Sagnol: Lost the final to Italy in 2006, was one shot away from cementing his place in history. Performed well against the likes of Ronaldo and a brazil side containing ronaldinho. Keeping both to clean sheets.
CB: Vicente: Starred in the 1966 world-cup, part of the all-star team and helping portugal finish third. Finished first in a group containing hungary(florian albert) and brazil(pele), keeping both to one goal each.
CB: Da Guia: Brazil's legendary defender, part of the all-star team for 1938 world cup and helped brazil finish third.
LB: Brehme: World cup winning left back in 1990, scoring three goals and being a part of the all star team.
CM: Dunga: Brazil world cup winning captain, part of the all-star team.
CM: Overath: Key player in Germany's 1974 win, selected in the team of the tournament.
AM: Platini: France's best ever player, part of the all-star team in 1982 and 1986.
RW: Zizinho: Pele's idol, won the golden ball in 1950 world cup. He was lauded as a complete player, renowned for his incredible array of offensive skills such as his dribbling, passing, and shooting ability with both feet, as well as his accuracy from dead ball situations and extraordinary vision
LW: Rummenigge: Winner of the silver boot in 1982 with 5 goals and winner of the Bronze ball. Included in the team of the tournament. Helped his side finish runner ups in 1982 and 1986.
CF: Tostao: Part of the world cup winning side in 1970, forming a key partnership with Pele.

MJJ

Robben played a total of 3 games from the left wing over the course of 2013 to 2015 so not sure how he will be an effective presence from the LW, specially if you take away his cutting in and shooting trait from his game.

idmanager

Good luck @MJJ

Robben played a total of 3 games from the left wing over the course of 2013 to 2015 so not sure how he will be an effective presence from the LW, specially if you take away his cutting in and shooting trait from his game.
Below is a highlights reel of his 2014 world cup

He had as much of an impact from the left and central zones as he did from the right.

In fact, he almost scored and assisted the same number of goals from either direction.

And of course, its not Van Gaal's 3-5-2 which had to rely on goals from the front 2.

So I don't mind sacrificing the cutting in part for this game if he can bring his A-game in dribbling, burning pace and creating chances while taking the chances that come his way down the left.

Last edited:

MJJ

Good luck @MJJ

Below is a highlights reel of his 2014 world cup

He had as much of an impact from the left and central zones as he did from the right.

In fact, he almost scored and assisted the same number of goals from either direction.

And of course, its not Van Gaal's 3-5-2 which had to rely on goals from the front 2.

So I don't mind sacrificing the cutting in part for this game if he can bring is A-game in dribbling, burning pace and creating chances while taking the chances that gets his way down the left.
Its a bit different to starting from the left than from the right though, and not sure why you are lumping in left and centre together though.

The highlight doesnt account for him starting from the left after taking a corner etc.

idmanager

Some initial points:

1. I clearly have the way better defence IMO. My defence seems better equipped to stop the opposition rather than the other way around.
2. Kalle from the left and Zizinho who was predominantly an inside right if I remember correctly makes it too narrow an attack IMO with risks of overlapping. You'd want someone like Platini to express himself as much as possible which I think might be hindered a bit.
3. Not sure why Overath is on the right of the midfield.
4. That Kalle-Brehme vs Jairzinho-Lahm flank looks tasty. I am guessing that is why Dunga was moved on that side to provide some more defensive cover but that sacrifices Overath.

idmanager

Its a bit different to starting from the left than from the right though, and not sure why you are lumping in left and centre together though.

The highlight doesnt account for him starting from the left after taking a corner etc.
Of course, to play a free role Robben, I'd have to deploy a 3-5-2 like Van Gaal :)
But since I can't, I am going to be using his good bits from that left side and use them in my team.
Its not like he didn't play at all from the left in the 2014 WC when its clear a sizable part of his contributions came from there, so should be fine IMO.

Is it the ideal position for him? No. But in the bigger scheme of things, it offers great balance to the team. Sarosi would love the supply from Jairzinho and Robben. Supply from the wings was a major source of his goals.

Last edited:

idmanager

Numerical comparison of the CB's WC performances

Bobby Moore in 1966 and Nasazzi in 1930 played a combined 10 world cup games and maintained 6 clean sheets in them.

Da Guia in 1938 and Vicente in 1966 also played a combined 10 world cup games and managed to maintain only 1 clean sheet.

idmanager

FWIW, this is what I expected you'd go with. A bit too attacking from the midfield, but still looks good IMO

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Idmanager's spine is brimming with top-end World Cup credentials. Unfortunate for MJJ that (a) Brehme cannot influence the game as much as he would like to given Jairzinho lurking around, and (b) Tarantini doesn't get fully exposed with the position of Zizinho as an inside-right, as well as Sagnol being decent in this company but nothing particularly special.

crappycraperson

Scout
MJJ mf has killed this. Overath is also more of a AM than CM. That leaves too much to do for Dunga who is not even a proper destroyer.

For idm only issue is Robben on left. Won’t fly after this round

MJJ

MJJ mf has killed this. Overath is also more of a AM than CM. That leaves too much to do for Dunga who is not even a proper destroyer.

Overath played as a CM alongside a DM in his prime? That DM was beckenbauer but still.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Overath played as a CM alongside a DM in his prime? That DM was beckenbauer but still.
Overath in that position is fine IMO it's just that you'd want more of a proper DM next to him.

Enigma_87

You know who
Apart from Robben on the left I'd also have an overlapping LB from that side instead of Tarantini. Robben was playing a very fluid role in 14', but a more attacking minded LB would compliment his game a lot better IMO.

went with @idmanager but would really like to know a bit more about Sarosi and that particular WC. I know he's depicted as super human in most of the reports, but does an out and out striker position suit his game there?

For MJJ as other mentioned Overath and Dunga seems a bit off. Both had a DM next to them in their WC runs and Overath here doesn't have Beckenbauer barging in from behind.

idmanager

Apart from Robben on the left I'd also have an overlapping LB from that side instead of Tarantini. Robben was playing a very fluid role in 14', but a more attacking minded LB would compliment his game a lot better IMO.
The original idea was to get Henry from the left with a more balanced full back rather than Tarantini who played the defensive role 1978.

But then again, Henry and Sarosi would not have been complementary as Sarosi reveled from consistent supply from out wide based on what I had read. Hence Robben made more sense.

Also, there was one round with almost half the managers going for LB's which limited the non European LB's. Could have gotten Chagas but I didnt want to waste GOAT rich 1974 on Chagas. I was actually glad I got Tarantini after drawing MJJ as he was facing Kalle in my mind.

A more balanced FB in Bossis is on the bench waiting to come on if the chance arises in one of the next rounds.

To be fair, in my eyes Robben was the best player of 2014 WC. Might get replaced in the rounds ahead but I don't mind him at all here in this limited role.

Last edited:

idmanager

went with @idmanager but would really like to know a bit more about Sarosi and that particular WC. I know he's depicted as super human in most of the reports, but does an out and out striker position suit his game there?
He played multiple roles throughout his career and hence was regarded as a complete footballer.

The definition of an out and out striker for a pre-war player like Sarosi in a modern formation comes down to someone who can score at will, get others into the game and create chances for people around him.

Of course, the players around him need to have the qualities to bring the best out of him. You need goal scoring wingers, a prolific No.10 and of course runners from the midfield.

I had decided to pick Nasazzi-Monti-Sarosi at all costs from the start itself and hence the first few picks were made keeping them in mind.

Kopa (prolific No.10), Masopust (marauding B2B), Jairzinho (goal scoring winger) all complement Sarosi.

In fact even Robben suits a team build around Sarosi, giving the former enough license to move centrally when Sarosi peels off.

Below is the formation from the 1938 WC final.

The inside forward roles were crucial back in the day and in a modern readjusted formation, it would have been tougher to find better fits than Kopa and Masopust.

Too bad I had my eyes set on Monti and Sarosi for 34 and 38. Else, Meazza in the inside right role and Sarosi ahead of him would have been pre-war orgasmic.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Always hard with those pre-footage (if we don't count a few seconds of goals) players, I remember how me and Joga got a completely different view of Sarosi despite basing our views on the same articles :lol: But he should do well enough here.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
To be fair, in my eyes Robben was the best player of 2014 WC.
Agreed. As @Enigma_87 alluded, the overlapping left back allows him to more accurately reprise his roaming attacker role from Holland’s 3511 in 2014. Struggling to think of many World Cup attackers who would do a better job in that position.

idmanager

Cheers @MJJ

A more pure destroyer would have made it a really close midfield battle IMO.

idmanager

There is a clear deficit of great destroyers in their peak performances in this draft's context and will be a talking point in more games IMO

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There is a clear deficit of great destroyers in their peak performances in this draft's context and will be a talking point in more games IMO
Absolutely. Monti is a good pick (even though none of us really know how he played :lol:)