We’re actually class on paper

OleTheGreat

In terms of player for player, in comparison with other top teams we’re up there now, for the first time in seemingly forever. How many teams can you with confidence say are better then us?

Better than us
Man City
PSG (debatable)
Bayern Munich (debatable)

Similar level
Chelsea, Liverpool, Juventus, Inter, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid

I think we’re at the point squad wise where there is no reason why we shouldn’t be considered one of the best teams in the world (it’s been a while) & I honestly think we are contenders for the Premier League & Champions League. Especially if we sign a DM, which is vital to our hopes this season.

And yes I know we just lost to Villarreal “hold your horses” & that, but looking at our squad there’s a lot of reasons to be excited.
Tell me about it! I just can't wait for us to get started. It is going to be amazing to watch the likes of Martial, Cavani, Bruno, Sancho, Pogba, VDB, Rashford and Greenwood in tandem. That defense line is so secure, only top players/teams can find a way around it now. Ole has to go for it this season. We need to fight for every cup there is to win. I'm also so so happy about the back up options we have in the likes of Amad, James, Lingard, Periera, and Elanga. My God, Ole can just sit them all together and say " You go out there and show me what you got or somebody else will replace you " . This is brilliant, I mean we can just go for it this time and ride the wave into Bliss! I really hope we make one more purchase in the market for a decent DM, Neves or Camavinga and we are set!

Get going soon!

RedKnight88

Agree with this.
Has to be a big name striker next season though. I wouldn't mind Martinez to replace Martial in the squad though, if we can't land a CM.
I think we have a chance with Haaland if we do well this season. Improving the midfield is so important. Get that sorted this window and we focus on CF next season

MUFC OK

Unfortunately yes 100%. He’s massively declined and performed pretty poorly now for 3 seasons. That’s not the kind of thing players usually get over and to be honest the writing has always been on the wall with De Gea because of his style of keeping which relies on superhuman reflexes.
I don't necessarily agree, I think DDG had more outstanding performances last season than Henderson, even if his overall level has dropped. I'm just not fully on board with throwing all of our eggs in his basket because despite being undeniably headstrong, I was left distinctly unimpressed by him last season as many times as I was impressed.

Remember that playing for United is a totally different ball game to Sheff Utd - you will see less of the action but must be ready when called upon and there's the fact that as of yet, DH hasn't played in a big game at OT in front of 76,000 fans. I believe having a better pairing in front of them will benefit both Goalkeepers and I don't see an issue with playing both next season to see how it goes, and give us a larger sample size to make an informed decision, despite the obvious issue with paying De Gea's hefty wages.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Only way Manchester city is better than us on paper is if they signed Kane and Grelish.

Cavani and Martial are better than Jesus. Our whole back four is better defensively as a unit than City. Bruno came of a season that is as good as something de Bryune will produce. Then with Sancho, we have someone that is better or as good as Mahrez.

So how is Manchester city better than us? The only way I see they are better is tactically. However credit to Ole, our board, woodward, and scouting team as they built a very strong team here

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I don't necessarily agree, I think DDG had more outstanding performances last season than Henderson, even if his overall level has dropped. I'm just not fully on board with throwing all of our eggs in his basket because despite being undeniably headstrong, I was left distinctly unimpressed by him last season as many times as I was impressed.

Remember that playing for United is a totally different ball game to Sheff Utd - you will see less of the action but must be ready when called upon and there's the fact that as of yet, DH hasn't played in a big game at OT in front of 76,000 fans. I believe having a better pairing in front of them will benefit both Goalkeepers and I don't see an issue with playing both next season to see how it goes, and give us a larger sample size to make an informed decision, despite the obvious issue with paying De Gea's hefty wages.
I think it's a stylistic issue with De Dea at this point. I was shocked last year just how much he absolutely refused to come out to sweep when we played a high line. Much has been made of our CB's lack of pace when playing a high line, I think a major factor is having a keeper who can sweep. He also isn't dominant from set pieces and it really showed in contrast to Henderson. Even if Henderson doesn't have the same 1v1 ability and reflex saves as David yet (remember De Gea improved massively in his 1v1 game and Henderson could too) I think he allows us to play freer, spend less time scrambling around in our box from long balls, and gives more solidity in set pieces.

MUFC OK

I think it's a stylistic issue with De Dea at this point. I was shocked last year just how much he absolutely refused to come out to sweep when we played a high line. Much has been made of our CB's lack of pace when playing a high line, I think a major factor is having a keeper who can sweep. He also isn't dominant from set pieces and it really showed in contrast to Henderson. Even if Henderson doesn't have the same 1v1 ability and reflex saves as David yet (remember De Gea improved massively in his 1v1 game and Henderson could too) I think he allows us to play freer, spend less time scrambling around in our box from long balls, and gives more solidity in set pieces.
I've seen Henderson make plenty of mistakes when trying to come out and sweep, so being bold isn't always best. I'll agree that Hendo is the better keeper at commanding his area, set pieces etc. But if Hendo can improve at 1v1s, why can't DDG improve at sweeping? Has to work both ways imo. Ultimately this is one of those polarised debate where youre either DDG or Hendo but for me I'm happy to see what happens next season.

MUFC OK

Only way Manchester city is better than us on paper is if they signed Kane and Grelish.

Cavani and Martial are better than Jesus. Our whole back four is better defensively as a unit than City. Bruno came of a season that is as good as something de Bryune will produce. Then with Sancho, we have someone that is better or as good as Mahrez.

So how is Manchester city better than us? The only way I see they are better is tactically. However credit to Ole, our board, woodward, and scouting team as they built a very strong team here
people will say KDB and the fact that they have Fernandinho/Rodri. We well placed to push them this season but we do need another midfielder imo to do so.

Suedesi

In terms of player for player, in comparison with other top teams we’re up there now, for the first time in seemingly forever. How many teams can you with confidence say are better then us?

Better than us
Man City
PSG (debatable)
Bayern Munich (debatable)

Similar level
Chelsea, Liverpool, Juventus, Inter, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid

I think we’re at the point squad wise where there is no reason why we shouldn’t be considered one of the best teams in the world (it’s been a while) & I honestly think we are contenders for the Premier League & Champions League. Especially if we sign a DM, which is vital to our hopes this season.

And yes I know we just lost to Villarreal “hold your horses” & that, but looking at our squad there’s a lot of reasons to be excited.
Football is not played on paper, but I'd say City, Bayern, PSG and Barcelona are currently stronger than us. We can beat them on any day, mind - but equally we can also lose to Chelsea, Liverpool, Juve, Inter, Madrid and Villareal. It's going to be an exciting season, still hope to get cover at RB and a DM.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yes, don't want to derail thread. Think we can all agree that we can improve our double pivot with the right signings !
That I dont disagree with, but im pretty sure the same can be said for every team. Ultimately, you are always on the hunt to improve your team. Its the reason why PSG want Pogba or City want Grealish. So, in that respect, of course we could improve but I wont agree that they are mid table.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Hope you’re right but I honestly think De Gea is the biggest weakness in that back line and that includes Lindelof. He’s just far too passive and I don’t think there’s a CB in world football who can counter that.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hope you’re right but I honestly think De Gea is the biggest weakness in that back line and that includes Lindelof. He’s just far too passive and I don’t think there’s a CB in world football who can counter that.
This.

A goalkeeping mistake is one thing - but during things like corners and crosses it genuinely feels like we don't have a goalkeeper. Ole realised this and worked on the right time to drop De Gea for Henderson.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This.

A goalkeeping mistake is one thing - but during things like corners and crosses it genuinely feels like we don't have a goalkeeper. Ole realised this and worked on the right time to drop De Gea for Henderson.
That’s exactly it and I feel like there’s a fair portion of fans who aren’t looking at that. De Gea may still have more propensity for the spectacular, but he can’t do the fundamentals that our defence hugely requires. It will become clear when even Varane doesn’t come in and immediately sort it out despite being massive and much better in the air than Lindelof.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I’m not convinced PSG are better than us on paper.

Icardi < Cavani
Mbappe
> Rashford
Neymar = Bruno
Di Maria < Sancho
Veratti < Pogba
Wijnaldum
> Fred
Bernat < Shaw
Marquinhos = Varane
Ramos < Maguire
Donnarumma = De Gea

Theres really not much in it. I don’t think they have much strength in depth either.
Lionel Messi > Daniel James ?

dal

I’m not convinced PSG are better than us on paper.

Icardi < Cavani
Mbappe
> Rashford
Neymar = Bruno
Di Maria < Sancho
Veratti < Pogba
Wijnaldum
> Fred
Bernat < Shaw
Marquinhos = Varane
Ramos < Maguire
Donnarumma = De Gea

Theres really not much in it. I don’t think they have much strength in depth either.
I don’t think Neymar and Bruno are comparables, maybe Sancho and neymar.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Why James? I'll tell you what though, I wouldn't swap grandad Messi for Greenwood.
I was just reading a slightly old thread (well, from before Messi joined PSG) and I thought typing what I typed might be a bit of humour. I could have picked anyone really, as Rajiztar said, but I just chose him.

Fussball13251

We need to stop thinking our squad is unique. Other teams have just as good a squad. But on paper we are up there with the very best.

We are not Arsenal.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Luka Shaw is literally the only United player who makes PSG’s starting XI

Ramos was always better than Varane by the way.

sp_107

Keeper/Walker/Diaz/Rodri/KDB/Sterling/Grealish those 7 can walk into our team to be honest means we are still far off from city

Eddy_JukeZ

Keeper/Walker/Diaz/Rodri/KDB/Sterling/Grealish those 7 can walk into our team to be honest means we are still far off from city
Speak for yourself.

We're not far off City at all. I think we're right there with them.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Speak for yourself.

We're not far off City at all. I think we're right there with them.
I think City's first eleven and Utd.s first eleven are pretty equally matched and in the recent past, on the day, Utd. have proved to have the better outcome in the derby games. But the problem is strength in depth and City have that advantage over Utd. and then some.

Look how often Utd played the same players to exhaustion last season & look also how OGS was regularly criticised for not making substitutions.... maybe he just didn't think doing so would help. Over the season this all adds up and especially so after no pre-season last summer and then a run right to the Europa final plus the Euros involving most of the squad. The players are being played into the ground and this is not good for Manchester Utd.