We’re actually class on paper

Robbie Boy

Probably the usual list of reasons that people give - everyone else was trash, overperformed, lucky etc.
Some fans on here seem upset that we are building a world class team and will have less and less to moan about!

So pumped for next season :cool:
Yup, buzzing :drool:

Ole has assembled a lovely squad. I'm finally fully expecting a title challenge.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
——————De Gea——————
AWB—Varane-Maguire-Shaw
———McTominay-Fred————
Sancho——-Bruno—-Rashford
——————-Cavani——————-

Assuming we make no more signings, this is probably our strongest 11, and the one we’re most likely to see next season. There’s still obvious deficiencies in midfield, at right back and down the left in my opinion. Striker will also need looking at next summer. So might the goalkeeping situation. There’s still a lot to do imo.
No chance De Gea is our best team and if he is we have a massive weakness. Don’t think we get near the title with him in there.

::sonny::

The GK and RB are big problems

The DM lacks quality at 360°

Inconstancy upfront

But the squad surely improved but not enough

TrustInJanuzaj

City may have a better squad, but starting XI?

De Gea < Ederson
Wan Bissaka = Walker
Varane = Stones
Maguire = Dias
Shaw > Zinchenko
Fred = Rodri
Pogba = Gundogan
Bruno = De Bruyne
Sancho = Mahrez
Cavani > Jesus
Rashford = Sterling/Foden

Thats what I'd say anyway. When they sign Grealish and possibly Kane or another striker, it could change but even then, I wouldnt say they are better as a starting XI. We've beaten them 3 out of the last 4 league games in the last couple of seasons and on our terms, too.
Stones equal to Varane is one of the worst things I’ve seen on here.

TrustInJanuzaj

Smacks of nationality and recency bias.
Without doubt. Stones is decent at best. Varane is a 4 times champions league winner and an undisputed world class player. Maguire makes stones look average every time they play together for England too.

Walters_19_MuFc

Stones equal to Varane is one of the worst things I’ve seen on here.
Smacks of nationality and recency bias.
Without doubt. Stones is decent at best. Varane is a 4 times champions league winner and an undisputed world class player. Maguire makes stones look average every time they play together for England too.
Are we talking about what the players have achieved or currently ability?

If its the latter, Stones has been phonomenal this season, playing a big part in City winning the double and was solid in the Euro's, playing every game for England, who conceded two goals througout the whole tournament.

Therefore, its certainly not as farfetched as you guys think, especially when comparing the Varane of the last couple of years. Bringing past achievements into it is pointless.

TrustInJanuzaj

Are we talking about what the players have achieved or currently ability?

If its the latter, Stones has been phonomenal this season, playing a big part in City winning the double and was solid in the Euro's, playing every game for England, who conceded two goals througout the whole tournament.

Therefore, its certainly not as farfetched as you guys think, especially when comparing the Varane of the last couple of years. Bringing past achievements into it is pointless.
You simply can’t discount the impact of playing in City’s system. There defenders get so much protection by the way they manage games. Stones would be half the player elsewhere. We will see how Varane gets on but it’s a much harder job being a CB at Utd compared to city.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

De Gea < Ederson
Wan Bissaka = Walker
Varane = Stones
Maguire = Dias
Shaw > Zinchenko
Fred = Rodri
Pogba = Gundogan
Bruno = De Bruyne
Sancho = Mahrez
Cavani > Jesus

Thats what I'd say anyway. When they sign Grealish and possibly Kane or another striker, it could change but even then, I wouldnt say they are better as a starting XI. We've beaten them 3 out of the last 4 league games in the last couple of seasons and on our terms, too.
I’m not sure how Sterling and Walker who are international main regular actually are not better than Rashford & AWB who are just bench warmer and sofa warmer.

Walters_19_MuFc

You simply can’t discount the impact of playing in City’s system. There defenders get so much protection by the way they manage games. Stones would be half the player elsewhere. We will see how Varane gets on but it’s a much harder job being a CB at Utd compared to city.
This is where its gets silly now.

Stones hasnt always been good for City which shows you its not just the system. To add to that, if they did get so much protection, then Pep wouldnt have spent so much money trying to find the right centre back.

They purchased Dias and he no doubt had a massive effect on City and the back four, but I personally think its harsh of you and anyone else to play down how good Stones has been THIS season, which is what I based my comparisons on.

Walters_19_MuFc

I’m not sure how Sterling and Walker who are international main regular actually are not better than Rashford & AWB who are just bench warmer and sofa warmer.
Not everyone will agree with me. Its subjective. However, using internationals to prove a point means Saka is better than Sancho or Grealish. Maybe he is if we use your logic.

Hammondo

Utd CBs get more protection than City's. We have 2 deep midfielders protecting them constantly, and the best fullback pair in the league at their sides. You don't get much more protected than that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not everyone will agree with me. Its subjective. However, using internationals to prove a point means Saka is better than Sancho or Grealish. Maybe he is if we use your logic.
But Saka is not main regular international, we have seen him dropped many times so calling him better than Sancho and Grealish is obviously not true. When I said main regular international means they are untouchable like Kane, Sterling, Stones, Maguire, Walker. If you are untouchable in international team then you are being obvious better.

Walters_19_MuFc

But Saka is not main regular international, we have seen him dropped many times so calling him better than Sancho and Grealish is obviously not true. When I said main regular international means they are untouchable like Kane, Sterling, Stones, Maguire, Walker. If you are untouchable in international team then you are being obvious better.
Not necessarily true though, is it?

Southgate deems them better because he feels they suit his system better. However, a different manager could opt for different players.

mancan92

This is where its gets silly now.

Stones hasnt always been good for City which shows you its not just the system. To add to that, if they did get so much protection, then Pep wouldnt have spent so much money trying to find the right centre back.

They purchased Dias and he no doubt had a massive effect on City and the back four, but I personally think its harsh of you and anyone else to play down how good Stones has been THIS season, which is what I based my comparisons on.
But comparing him to Varane is ridiculous based on one recent season of good form.

JB7

Mental that everyone seems to be putting our second choice keeper in our line up comparisons.

Pep's Suit

You definitely should target 80+ points with this squad. Maybe even 90+ mainly because so often you read here that this Premier League is so much weaker than what it was 13, 15, 18 years ago.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not necessarily true though, is it?

Southgate deems them better because he feels they suit his system better. However, a different manager could opt for different players.
What is the difference between Ole and Southgate's system that make you think that this difference play factor in Sterling, Rashford & Walker, Bissaka comparison. I don't see both manager's difference system play any difference in picking who because for instance, Walker will also suit Ole's system and suits more than Bissaka due to similarity in what Ole & Southgate demanded in their full backs while Bissaka doesn't suit Pep's system.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

Utd CBs get more protection than City's. We have 2 deep midfielders protecting them constantly, and the best fullback pair in the league at their sides. You don't get much more protected than that.
That’s just not true. Sure on paper we play more defensive mids but that completely ignores the fact that City control games much much better than Utd. They know how to retain the ball, make better tactical fouls in transition and generally just provide a system that helps protects the defence. Pep has always been the same. Valdez at Barca was a woeful keeper, Pique has always been nothing more than okay. Possession football has been proven to be the most effective system for building a strong defence. Just look at the impact Tuchel has had on Chelsea despite their lack of real top quality centre backs. You can’t concede goals if you don’t give your opponents the chance to get on the ball and concede.

Walters_19_MuFc

But comparing him to Varane is ridiculous based on one recent season of good form.
Why? I did that for everyone. Its where I see where they are both at currently because the whole point of this thread was compariing our team with others. Therefore, I cant use the Varame of 2017, as I dont think it's a fair reflection.

Just interested to see what people would have said if I put Dias = Varane?

TrustInJanuzaj

Why? I did that for everyone. Its where I see where they are both at currently because the whole point of this thread was compariing our team with others. Therefore, I cant use the Varame of 2017, as I dont think it's a fair reflection.

Dias vs Varane is more comparable. Personally think Varane is still better but that’s much closer. Dias is miles better than stones though so it doesn’t really stand up.

Eternitiy

Saying that Bruno is equivalent to Neymar is preposterous. Neymar is the most talented player of his decade (footballers born in the 90s).

Hammondo

That’s just not true. Sure on paper we play more defensive mids but that completely ignores the fact that City control games much much better than Utd. They know how to retain the ball, make better tactical fouls in transition and generally just provide a system that helps protects the defence. Pep has always been the same. Valdez at Barca was a woeful keeper, Pique has always been nothing more than okay. Possession football has been proven to be the most effective system for building a strong defence. Just look at the impact Tuchel has had on Chelsea despite their lack of real top quality centre backs. You can’t concede goals if you don’t give your opponents the chance to get on the ball and concede.
I agree that the defense gets attacked a lot less when you dominate football, but when do they get attacked they are more exposed with a lot less support as Liverpool exposed a couple of seasons ago. We never let our CBs get exposed because they are not good at handling it.

TrustInJanuzaj

I agree that the defense gets attacked a lot less when you dominate football, but when do they get attacked they are more exposed with a lot less support as Liverpool exposed a couple of seasons ago. We never let our CBs get exposed because they are not good at handling it.
Yeh In moments they can be exposed but it’s often few and far between. I can think of some Utd Vs City games in recent years where we just never really generated a chance and it wasn’t because we came up against Vidic and Ferdinand, it was because city never let us get hold of the ball. They are also masters of tactical fouls and that really starts in their midfield. Honestly I think it’s a far easier job being a CB in a pep team than many other sides.

mancan92

Varane of 2019 is better than John Stone. Only last season can you say stones is vaguely close. We are not talking about a player who has been lost for several seasons. Madrid still won the league 2019 as him as a top defender whereas stones couldnt get into the city team. One decent season vs an OK one varane doesn't change anything

RopersReturn

Out-field players, agreed ; but surely the GK situation is our Achilles at the mo? Plus we’re screaming for a World class defensive midfielder.

Hammondo

I
Yeh In moments they can be exposed but it’s often few and far between. I can think of some Utd Vs City games in recent years where we just never really generated a chance and it wasn’t because we came up against Vidic and Ferdinand, it was because city never let us get hold of the ball. They are also masters of tactical fouls and that really starts in their midfield. Honestly I think it’s a far easier job being a CB in a pep team than many other sides.
I guess it depends on the opposition.

Walters_19_MuFc

Because Dias is a top player, Varane is a top player. Pretty simple to be honest.
Based on this season, so is John Stones. Its also that simple.

Pep went into the season possibly wanting to play Dias and Laporte (who most were saying was one of the best CB's in the world). The fact that Stones kept him out of the team says it all really.

Walters_19_MuFc

Varane of 2019 is better than John Stone. Only last season can you say stones is vaguely close. We are not talking about a player who has been lost for several seasons. Madrid still won the league 2019 as him as a top defender whereas stones couldnt get into the city team. One decent season vs an OK one varane doesn't change anything
And thats exactly why I put Varane = Stones.

TrustInJanuzaj

Based on this season, so is John Stones. Its also that simple.

Pep went into the season possibly wanting to play Dias and Laporte (who most were saying was one of the best CB's in the world). The fact that Stones kept him out of the team says it all really.
I don’t really believe in ignoring a whole careers worth of work just to pretend players are equal.

DSG

De Gea < Ederson
Wan Bissaka = Walker
Varane = Stones
Maguire = Dias
Shaw > Zinchenko
Fred = Rodri
Pogba = Gundogan
Bruno = De Bruyne
Sancho = Mahrez
Cavani > Jesus

I had essentially the same post a page ago…Personally, I think Varane is superior to Stones, Rodri is better than Fred, and I have Sancho ahead of Mahrez. I personally like Rashford over Sterling/ Foden, but I can see that as even. Also, I left out Pogba…

United Bench:
Greenwood
Pogba / McT
DVB
martial
Lindelof
Bailly
Lingard?
Telles
Matic

City Bench:
Fernandinho
Torres
Laporte
Ake
Mendy
Foden / Sterling

Ederson > DDG
Walker = AWB
Stones < Varane
Dias = Maguire
Zinchenko < Shaw
Rodri > Fred
Gundogan > McTominay
KDB = Bruno
Sterling < Rashford
Mahrez < Sancho
Jesus < Cavani

Obviously, if they get Kane it changes. Foden will probably start ahead of Sterling? Or Mahrez? Grealish over Rashford? No Pogba in our side…

I’m an Ole supporter, but you have to give the big edge to Guardiola over the course of the season.
Now, if City get Kane and Grealish and keep Sterling, Mahrez and Silva, they definitely will has the superior squad. It seems like the Grealish transfer is going to happen, but although I rate Grealish, is he THAT much better than Sterling and Foden? I would say no…

Borys

Statistics Wizard
There is no significant difference between squads quality against top clubs in EPL.

What made a difference last season?
City - their system crushes 80% of opponents without breaking a sweat
Chelsea - they are doing well since Tuchel took over, whether they will remain on this level is yet to be seen
Liverpool - collapsed due to injuries and some bad luck, they will be back. They have the best attack in the EPL.

United in my eyes is still too reliant on individual brilliance to win games, we don't have a particular working system which gets the most of the players. I still think we can get much better, that's the reason why I'm so excited about the season.

DSG

I couldn't care about VdBeek, I dont think he should play at 10 voor United, but at 8, so my feelings towards Bruno have nothing to do with Donny. Please read all my comments in the Donny threads and you'll see this is true..

Im also - again! - not saying Bruno isnt a good player, Im not doubting he is our best option on the #10 position.. But..... I think the praise he sometimes get here is not in line with his performances.. I dont feel he is a top 10 of the world player as for me he hasn't been decisive enough in bigger games (the same goes for Frenkie de Jong of which Im probably the biggest fanboy alive).. I havent seen him control big games for United in the CL or against top tier PL teams sufficiently to rank him amongst the best in the world..

How is that a irrational statement?

I can see where the Bruno love is coming from, because he was the light that came 1.5 year ago and he transformed a horrible United side at moment.. And he did so brilliantly and there is therefore no doubt also for me he is great player, but that doesnt mean you can keep having a critical perspective about his performances in big matches this season right?

And Im not saying he doesnt have it in him to dó become the big man in big games for us who puts in the performance to bring us a round further in the CL or to decide that win against City that keeps us above them... But he still has to show that if you ask me...
Four Four Two has Bruno eighth in the world….

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/50-best-players-in-the-world-2021#section-10-1

Look, at the end of the day, it is completely subjective. The fact that he was shortlisted for PL Player of the Year and PFA’s player of the year indicates he was really, really good. I personally felt that on individual performance, the top three in the league last season were Kane, Bruno and Mason Mount (who was consistently excellent). The Ruben Dias and KDB choices were rewarding a City squad more than anything. How can KDB win that award when he only played 25 PL matches?

I watched every United match and came to the conclusion that Bruno is not perfect, but he’s perfect for us. He is now the heartbeat of this team, and his desire to win is Keanesque.