We’re actually class on paper

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I don’t rate Wan-Bissaka much but Dest is shit. No way are they equal. Bruno & Cavani are better than Pedri & Depay too. Although surely they are going to use Aguero as centre forward, not Depay? Aguero is better than Cavani.
Bruno Fernandes is literally invisible in every big match he plays and doesn't deliver goals/assists in those matches. He was shit in the euro's for Portugal? Pedri has been immense for Barcelona all season and was as well for Spain in the euro's.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Attack is stacked. Ole has a similar problem to Southgate in fitting it all together. Defence looks formidable too. On paper, Shaw, Maguire, Varane and Wan Bissaka could be ridiculous. Telles, Lindelof, Bailly and Williams (potentially Trippier) is a reasonable second string.

Goalkeeper and central midfield is still a concern. We don't have an established #1 currently, and I'm not sure either are good enough to go for the title and the a deep run in the CL. In midfield, McT and Fred are good, but I'm not a fan of both of them starting together. If we can bring in a good, creative CM/CDM (prime Carrick basically) and we keep Pogba for another season - even if we then lose him for next year - then I think we have a squad that should be challenging for the title and going far in the CL knockouts.

Red Star One

In before it turns into another Ole bashing thread.
Is it Ole bashing already when one says that on paper we seem to have as strong team as the best in Europe and also on paper we seem to have the least acclaimed, least experienced and least promising manager compared to other top teams?

Ace

Absolutely need to strengthen our midfield — if McTominay and Fred are playing 40-50 games a season, we are going to continue to be found out and struggle… Teams know they can just sit deep, prevent a counter attack, and mark out our skill players with the understanding that our midfield has no threat or ability to break the lines.

Keep Pogba, sign another starting eleven midfielder, bin Matic, and save Fred for the cup games and off the bench when we have a comfortable lead. Jury is still out on vdB.

MiceOnMeth

Jesus christ, there was a lot wrong with your post begin with but this one sticks out... I worry about the people that make posts like this. We're a good side but posts like this is what sets us up for failure.
Neymar is constantly injured or on holiday and has hardly set the world alight while Bruno has ben excelling for us for 18 months i don't think its that ridiculous of a take. I would not swap Bruno for Neymar tbh.

FattyFooty

I’m not convinced PSG are better than us on paper.

Icardi < Cavani
Mbappe
> Rashford
Neymar = Bruno
Di Maria < Sancho
Veratti < Pogba
Wijnaldum
> Fred
Bernat < Shaw
Marquinhos = Varane
Ramos < Maguire
Donnarumma = De Gea

Theres really not much in it. I don’t think they have much strength in depth either.
Im all for beeing positive, but do you really belive that? Its kinda funny you dont have Maguire over Ramos considering your whole list.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Im all for beeing positive, but do you really belive that? Its kinda funny you dont have Maguire over Ramos considering your whole list.
It does have Maguire over Ramos doesn’t it? Its wrong anyway

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We can take City. I don't care how many expensive players are in their squad - you can only play 11 of them at a time. It'll still be tough games against them but we have the quality to now take proper advantage of any individual errors, off days, or Pep being Pep and pissing off their players just before the match.

feck the haters. To quote that famous bin dipper*; we don't let this fecking slip.

*I also discovered today that if you type bindippers into Google it gives you directions to Anfield.

GlasgowCeltic

Neymar is constantly injured or on holiday and has hardly set the world alight while Bruno has ben excelling for us for 18 months i don't think its that ridiculous of a take. I would not swap Bruno for Neymar tbh.
Neymar is levels above Bruno

You're nuts if you think De Gea and Donnarumma are equal. I'd have Neymar better than bruno as well.
Very shortsighted… De Gea was far and above the best keeper in the world for 5 years. Before the euros, most the comments about Donnarumma on here were… well let’s just say most didn’t realise he’d be the next best in the world.

My point is Donnarumma will probably go on to be remembered as a goat once his career is over in 15 or so years. But then again so would have De Gea if all of his player of the year seasons came for a team that was winning titles.

Caveat. Donnarumma joining PSG will hinder his development. He should have joined an English club.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Icardi < Cavani
Mbappe
> Rashford
Neymar = Bruno
Di Maria < Sancho
Veratti < Pogba
Wijnaldum
> Fred
Bernat < Shaw
Marquinhos = Varane
Ramos < Maguire
Donnarumma = De Gea

Theres really not much in it. I don’t think they have much strength in depth either.
I agree the squads are very close but having Neymar on the same level as Bruno is ridiculous come on.

DSG

Ederson > DDG
Walker = AWB
Stones < Varane
Dias = Maguire
Zinchenko < Shaw
Rodri > Fred
Gundogan > McTominay
KDB = Bruno
Sterling < Rashford
Mahrez < Sancho
Jesus < Cavani

Obviously, if they get Kane it changes. Foden will probably start ahead of Sterling? Or Mahrez? Grealish over Rashford? No Pogba in our side…

I’m an Ole supporter, but you have to give the big edge to Guardiola over the course of the season.

Blood Mage

Icardi < Cavani
Mbappe
> Rashford
Neymar = Bruno
Di Maria < Sancho
Veratti < Pogba
Wijnaldum
> Fred
Bernat < Shaw
Marquinhos = Varane
Ramos < Maguire
Donnarumma = De Gea

I love Bruno but Neymar is comfortably a better footballer. Veratti is also better than Pogba and Donnarumma is better than De Gea.

Hammondo

Icardi < Cavani
Mbappe
> Rashford
Neymar = Bruno
Di Maria < Sancho
Veratti < Pogba
Wijnaldum
> Fred
Bernat < Shaw
Marquinhos = Varane
Ramos < Maguire
Donnarumma = De Gea

I think veratti is better and neymar.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well there are people who prefer players who are comfortable on the ball than physique..
Dest isn't even good on the ball though. And he makes Nelson Semedo look like a world class defender. So yeah, not a lot going for him.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Very shortsighted… De Gea was far and above the best keeper in the world for 5 years. Before the euros, most the comments about Donnarumma on here were… well let’s just say most didn’t realise he’d be the next best in the world.

My point is Donnarumma will probably go on to be remembered as a goat once his career is over in 15 or so years. But then again so would have De Gea if all of his player of the year seasons came for a team that was winning titles.

Caveat. Donnarumma joining PSG will hinder his development. He should have joined an English club.
We are not talking about the past or the future my friend. In the present day where we currently exist Donnaruma is better than De gea.

As for his development you might be right but I think he still has a couple moves in his future at least. Plenty of time to develop and fill out that CV. Wouldn't surprise me if he plays in England and Spain in the future.

AgentSmith

Donnarumma > De Gea
Hakimi > AWB
Marquinhos = Varane
Ramos > Maguire
Bernat < Shaw
Wijndaldum
> Fred
Verratti > Pogba
Di Maria < Sancho
Neymar
> Bruno
Mbappe > Rashford
Icardi < Cavani

Last edited:

0le

Bruno Fernandes is literally invisible in every big match he plays and doesn't deliver goals/assists in those matches. He was shit in the euro's for Portugal? Pedri has been immense for Barcelona all season and was as well for Spain in the euro's.
I am honestly sick to death of reading shitty opinions like this on Bruno.

Here are his stats against clubs considered as big 6 in the PL (total):
Played / W/ D / LGoalsAssistsPenalties
Leicester City​
3/1/1/1​
2​
1​
1​
Tottenham​
3/1/1/1​
2​
0​
2​
Manchester City​
3/2/1/0​
1​
1​
1​
Chelsea​
3/1/2/0​
0​
1​
0​
Liverpool​
2/0/1/1​
1​
0​
0​
Arsenal​
2/0/1/1​
0​
0​
0​
Total
16/5/7/4

And similarly for the FA Cup (total):
Liverpool​
1/1/0/0​
Chelsea​
1/0/0/1​
Leicester City​
1/0/0/1​
Total
3/1/0/2

And similarly in the EFL (total):
(unavailable)
Manchester City​
1/0/0/1​
0​
0​
0​
Total
1/0/0/1

So in 16 games, excluding penalties he has 5 goal or assist contributions in the PL. In 3 games, excluding penalties he has 1 goal or assist contribution in the FA Cup. That is a goal/assist contribution of about 1 in 3 games.

Similarly for KdB in the PL (total):
Leicester City​
11/7/1/3​
2​
4​
0​
Tottenham​
12/6/2/4​
3​
6​
0​
Manchester United​
12/4/4/4​
1​
0​
0​
Chelsea​
14/7/1/6​
4​
1​
0​
Liverpool​
11/3/2/6​
1​
5​
1​
Arsenal​
15/10/2/3​
5​
2​
1​
Total
75/37/12/26

And KdB in the FA Cup (total):
(unavailable)
Chelsea​
1/0/0/1​
0​
0​
0​
Arsenal​
2/0/0/2​
0​
0​
0​
Total
3/0/0/3

And KdB in the EFL (total):
(unavailable)
Manchester United​
3/2/0/1​
0​
0​
0​
Arsenal​
2/2/0/0​
0​
0​
0​
Leicester City​
1/1/0/0​
1​
0​
0​
Tottenham​
1/1/0/0​
0​
1​
0​
Chelsea​
1/1/0/0​
0​
0​
0​
Total
8/7/0/1

So in 75 games, excluding penalties, KdB has 32 goals or assist contributions in the PL. He has no contributions in 3 games in the FA Cup. He has 2 contributions in 8 EFL games.

Bruno vs KdB (against top 6 (Spurs, United, Leicester, Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Liverpool):
Bruno FernandesKevin De Bruyne
Games vs Top 6​
20​
Goals (inc penalties)​
8​
Assists​
3​
Goal+Assist (inc pen)​
1 per 1.81 games
1 per 2.38 games
Goal+Assist (ex. pen)​
1 per 3.3 games​
1 per 2.52 games
% games won​
30%​
51%
% games drawn​
35%
14%​
% games lost​
35%​
35%​

Statistically Bruno actually has a better contribution domestically against the traditional top 6 compared to KdB when penalties are included. They have also lost a comparable number of games against the top 6.

Bruno Fernandes compared to Kevin De Bruyne for PL 2020/21:

Minutes played​
2001​
Goals (excluding pens)​
1 per 345 mins
1 per 500 mins​
Shooting Accuracy​
60.71%
50%​
Big chances missed​
1 per 388 mins
1 per 250 mins​
Assists​
1 per 259 mins​
1 per 167 mins
Big Chances Created​
1 per 155 mins​
1 per 105 mins
Passes Forward​
1 per 4.95 mins
1 per 5.58 mins​
Passes Backwards​
1 per 8.13 mins
1 per 7.58 mins​
Pass Completion​
78.31%​
81.66%
Through Balls​
1 per 259 mins​
1 per 154 mins
Crosses​
1 per 18.7 mins​
1 per 13.7 mins
Dispossessed​
1 per 84 mins
1 per 64 mins​
Interceptions​
1 per 119 mins
1 per 222 mins​
Successful Tackles​
1 per 100 mins​
1 per 95 mins
Clearances​
1 per 115 mins
1 per 250 mins​
Aerial Battles won​
1 per 194 mins
1 per 500 mins​
Fouls committed​
1 per 72 mins​
1 per 74 mins

Per # of minutes, Bruno had fewer assists but more goals. He attempted more forward passes and made fewer backward passes. He was far superior defensively and had a similar temperament.

So please end the myth that he does not perform against the top teams and/or he is not a good player.

CM

De Gea - Ter Steegen | No doubt
Wan Bissaka - Dest | Dest is better going forward and on the ball, WB much better defensively
Varane - Pique | Pique is over the hill
Maguire - Garcia | Garcia has everything to prove
Shaw - Alba | Both amongst the best in the world in this position now
Fred - Frenkie | No doubt
Pogba- Busquets | France Pogba would make this a contest, United Pogba isnt anywehere near that level
Sancho - Messi (assumption still) | No doubt
Bruno - Pedri | I will not rate Bruno here in the way some do before he starts delivering in big matches
Rashford - Fati/Griezmann | Depends on the form of the day
Cavani - Depay | I would say Cavani edges it based on prior perfomances on top leagues, but Depay is in the height of his carreer.. Can go either way coming season..

This is fun
That's quite generous on the Barca side. Sancho's way better than Messi mate.

Neymar

Not a peasant
Supports
Neymar & Messi
The squad looks better than ever, and without any context one could assume that we may challenge for the title this season. But then we remember that Ole is the manager and we have no hope of being competitive.

Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel... What the hell is Ole going to win?

Polar

Icardi < Cavani
Mbappe
> Rashford
Neymar = Bruno
Di Maria < Sancho
Veratti < Pogba
Wijnaldum
> Fred
Bernat < Shaw
Marquinhos = Varane
Ramos < Maguire
Donnarumma = De Gea
Agree on most parts, but….

Neymar is among top 5 players in the world while Bruno isn’t among top 10. DDG was equal to Donnarumma in his prime, but today Donnarumma is the obvious choice.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I am honestly sick to death of reading shitty opinions like this on Bruno.

Here are his stats against clubs considered as big 6 in the PL (total):
Leicester City​
3/1/1/1​
2​
1​
1​
Tottenham​
3/1/1/1​
2​
0​
2​
Manchester City​
3/2/1/0​
1​
1​
1​
Chelsea​
3/1/2/0​
0​
1​
0​
Liverpool​
2/0/1/1​
1​
0​
0​
Arsenal​
2/0/1/1​
0​
0​
0​
Total
16/5/7/4

And similarly for the FA Cup (total):
Liverpool​
1/1/0/0​
Chelsea​
1/0/0/1​
Leicester City​
1/0/0/1​
Total
3/1/0/2

And similarly in the EFL (total):
(unavailable)
Manchester City​
1/0/0/1​
0​
0​
0​
Total
1/0/0/1

So in 16 games, excluding penalties he has 5 goal or assist contributions in the PL. In 3 games, excluding penalties he has 1 goal or assist contribution in the FA Cup. That is a goal/assist contribution of about 1 in 3 games.

Similarly for KdB in the PL (total):
Leicester City​
11/7/1/3​
2​
4​
0​
Tottenham​
12/6/2/4​
3​
6​
0​
Manchester United​
12/4/4/4​
1​
0​
0​
Chelsea​
14/7/1/6​
4​
1​
0​
Liverpool​
11/3/2/6​
1​
5​
1​
Arsenal​
15/10/2/3​
5​
2​
1​
Total
75/37/12/26

And KdB in the FA Cup (total):
(unavailable)
Chelsea​
1/0/0/1​
0​
0​
0​
Arsenal​
2/0/0/2​
0​
0​
0​
Total
3/0/0/3

And KdB in the EFL (total):
(unavailable)
Manchester United​
3/2/0/1​
0​
0​
0​
Arsenal​
2/2/0/0​
0​
0​
0​
Leicester City​
1/1/0/0​
1​
0​
0​
Tottenham​
1/1/0/0​
0​
1​
0​
Chelsea​
1/1/0/0​
0​
0​
0​
Total
8/7/0/1

So in 75 games, excluding penalties, KdB has 32 goals or assist contributions in the PL. He has no contributions in 3 games in the FA Cup. He has 2 contributions in 8 EFL games.

Bruno vs KdB (against top 6 (Spurs, United, Leicester, Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Liverpool):
Games vs Top 6​
20​
Goals (inc penalties)​
8​
Assists​
3​
Goal+Assist (inc pen)​
1 per 1.81 games
1 per 2.38 games
Goal+Assist (ex. pen)​
1 per 3.3 games​
1 per 2.52 games
% games won​
30%​
51%
% games drawn​
35%
14%​
% games lost​
35%​
35%​

Statistically Bruno actually has a better contribution domestically against the traditional top 6 compared to KdB when penalties are included. They have also lost a comparable number of games against the top 6.

Bruno Fernandes compared to Kevin De Bruyne for PL 2020/21:

Minutes played​
2001​
Goals (excluding pens)​
1 per 345 mins
1 per 500 mins​
Shooting Accuracy​
60.71%
50%​
Big chances missed​
1 per 388 mins
1 per 250 mins​
Assists​
1 per 259 mins​
1 per 167 mins
Big Chances Created​
1 per 155 mins​
1 per 105 mins
Passes Forward​
1 per 4.95 mins
1 per 5.58 mins​
Passes Backwards​
1 per 8.13 mins
1 per 7.58 mins​
Pass Completion​
78.31%​
81.66%
Through Balls​
1 per 259 mins​
1 per 154 mins
Crosses​
1 per 18.7 mins​
1 per 13.7 mins
Dispossessed​
1 per 84 mins
1 per 64 mins​
Interceptions​
1 per 119 mins
1 per 222 mins​
Successful Tackles​
1 per 100 mins​
1 per 95 mins
Clearances​
1 per 115 mins
1 per 250 mins​
Aerial Battles won​
1 per 194 mins
1 per 500 mins​
Fouls committed​
1 per 72 mins​
1 per 74 mins

Per # of minutes, Bruno had fewer assists but more goals. He attempted more forward passes and made fewer backward passes. He was far superior defensively and had a similar temperament.

So please end the myth that he does not perform against the top teams and/or he is not a good player.
So dude... The bold part... You actually deem these numbers in line with the praise he gets from some people here claiming he is a top 10 players in the world right now? Im not saying he isnt a good player of he is a hit player, Im saying the numbers arent up there with that praise. Also because when hé is not delivering he is absolutely invisible, so you can also translate your conclusion in: in 2/3 games he has no contribution for our performance whatsoever..

and where are the KDB comparisons coming from then? They are completely different players right?

Lukinho

We'll be a fun team to play as in fifa 22 thats for sure.
I‘ve started a new carrer mode in fifa 21. Its absolutly amazing to play with Varane and Maguire. Winning every header and tackles. Plus Varane is rapid.

Coxy

We've been said to be class on paper plenty of times post Fergie. Then, as per usual, we've ended up claiming we're 4 players away from a top side.

Maybe it's time to actually let the players play before we judge.
This. Far too early to tell. We were off the pace plenty of times last year. I’d love to hope we will improve - but it’s just 2 players.

0le

So dude... The bold part... You actually deem these numbers in line with the praise he gets from some people here claiming he is a top 10 players in the world right now? Im not saying he isnt a good player of he is a hit player, Im saying the numbers arent up there with that praise. Also because when hé is not delivering he is absolutely invisible, so you can also translate your conclusion in: in 2/3 games he has no contribution for our performance whatsoever..

and where are the KDB comparisons coming from then? They are completely different players right?
You said and I quote:
Bruno Fernandes is literally invisible in every big match he plays and doesn't deliver goals/assists in those matches.
I have literally provided factual evidence which demonstrates this is wrong.

Now you are changing the argument towards something else instead of actually owning the fact that what you said previously was just plain wrong.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
You said and I quote:

I have literally provided factual evidence which demonstrates this is wrong.

Now you are changing the argument towards something else instead of actually owning the fact that what you said previously was just plain wrong.
You are fully right, I indeed exaggerated there. My main emotion writing that is my annoyance that when he doesnt deliver in a match, he is fully invisible and he doesnt deliver enough for me to be able to pull that off... In replying to this quote of mine, you indeed showed he is not literally invisble in every big match he plays..

In my head (my bad) you were replying to my earlier post stating " Bruno - Pedri | I will not rate Bruno here in the way some do before he starts delivering in big matches "... This is what I meant in my reply: I will not rate Bruno in the same way some do before he start delivering (I should have added the word 'more and/or more often' here) in big matches..

Redlyn

I think we are one holding midfielder short of me joining on the excited train. We only have Matic in the sqaud and he is past it.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
For me, right now, as someone who has said in the past “we’re 4-5 players away” I say right now we should be challenging & we are 1 player away (DM) from being a clear top 5 club in the world. Upgrading DM is so so important. This is easily the strongest post been post Fergie.
Sounds fair at this moment but I'll see how they bed in first.

We are not talking about the past or the future my friend. In the present day where we currently exist Donnaruma is better than De gea.

As for his development you might be right but I think he still has a couple moves in his future at least. Plenty of time to develop and fill out that CV. Wouldn't surprise me if he plays in England and Spain in the future.
Definitely, especially with his agent, I can see him playing elsewhere in 4 years and again 4 years after that.

DSG

Yeah, I can’t see any rational human being saying that Bruno isn’t a top player. Also, KDB and Bruno are essentially playing the same position. Stylistically, they are different, but when you occupy the same positions on the field, a comparison is totally relevant.

Is it because you support Ajax and presumably rate Van de Beek that you are discounting Bruno’s contribution?

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Yeah, I can’t see any rational human being saying that Bruno isn’t a top player. Also, KDB and Bruno are essentially playing the same position. Stylistically, they are different, but when you occupy the same positions on the field, a comparison is totally relevant.

Is it because you support Ajax and presumably rate Van de Beek that you are discounting Bruno’s contribution?
I couldn't care about VdBeek, I dont think he should play at 10 voor United, but at 8, so my feelings towards Bruno have nothing to do with Donny. Please read all my comments in the Donny threads and you'll see this is true..

Im also - again! - not saying Bruno isnt a good player, Im not doubting he is our best option on the #10 position.. But..... I think the praise he sometimes get here is not in line with his performances.. I dont feel he is a top 10 of the world player as for me he hasn't been decisive enough in bigger games (the same goes for Frenkie de Jong of which Im probably the biggest fanboy alive).. I havent seen him control big games for United in the CL or against top tier PL teams sufficiently to rank him amongst the best in the world..

How is that a irrational statement?

I can see where the Bruno love is coming from, because he was the light that came 1.5 year ago and he transformed a horrible United side at moment.. And he did so brilliantly and there is therefore no doubt also for me he is great player, but that doesnt mean you can keep having a critical perspective about his performances in big matches this season right?

And Im not saying he doesnt have it in him to dó become the big man in big games for us who puts in the performance to bring us a round further in the CL or to decide that win against City that keeps us above them... But he still has to show that if you ask me...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For me, right now, as someone who has said in the past “we’re 4-5 players away” I say right now we should be challenging & we are 1 player away (DM) from being a clear top 5 club in the world. Upgrading DM is so so important. This is easily the strongest post been post Fergie.
Give it a game or two, and I bet you're back to 3-4 players :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Icardi < Cavani
Mbappe
> Rashford
Neymar = Bruno
Di Maria < Sancho
Veratti < Pogba
Wijnaldum
> Fred
Bernat < Shaw
Marquinhos = Varane
Ramos < Maguire
Donnarumma = De Gea

I want what this guys smoking. Clueless. Neymar equal to Bruno - ok.

James Peril

We’re asking if our team is world-class after spending a billion pounds acquring all of them… feck me. Did I just read that someone rates Maguire as better at football than Sergio Ramos? Jesus fecking christ, I’m checking into an insane asylum tomorrow.