We are an awfully coached team

wolvored

What about last game of last season that probably mattered more. Did that mean Ole was ‘better’ than Rogers then? Did Rogers not know how to set his team up to win that day?

making your point off one game is silly
I'm not making it off one game. We have played well in a few games this season, just not enough of them to see any progress. We have relied on Bruno pulling a rabbit out of the hat too many times and when he can't we struggle. We have one tactic, to counter attack. A bit like a lower club use when they play the big teams. It works when a team attacks us regular, like City, but not when they sit back.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the way we have played this season. I understand that there have been some exceptional circumstances that have affected not just Utd but every team, however, I thought we would be showing a little more now than these levels of performance. It's not really the Leicester game in isolation as I think they are a strong team and you can't win every match, but we really haven't played well for any prolonged spell at all this season. Even last season we put in a fantastic half-season of form pre and post lockdown and I'd challenge anyone to say it wasn't entertaining and good football, there's been very little of that this season. Regardless of the manager I still think we need a quality injection throughout some key positions with that DM role the primary one!

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Our squad depth isn't bad tbh , we look at man city with envy but Pep has got them playing in a way where it's easier to rotate players. We have no real attacking tactics and so rely on the individuals to do something special . That's why we have run Rashford & Bruno into the ground

cyberman

Basically finishing 2nd means feck all.
Not really. LVG didnt even finish second, its like saying Ole threw away first because we messed up easy games.
Jose and LVG lost the dressing room after getting top 4, Ole has at least shown he can keep the players on board over a longer period of time. So thats in his favour.

Guapa

We were due a spanking Last night.We just aren't a well coach team.
Love Ole to bits and I so want him to succeed but he's not the man for the job to get us back to winning ways IMO.
I'd give him one more year though as we are making very small progress and out of respect.
Trouble is thought I don't know who to replace him with:confused:

RedDevilzFox

Is there another big club with ambition out there that gives their managers 3-4 years to see if they get it right? Serious question cause I cannot think of any.

RORY65

Is there another big club with ambition out there that gives their managers 3-4 years to see if they get it right? Serious question cause I cannot think of any.
Probably not, it's understandable in that we're a weird club in that pretty much all of our success has come under 2 managers who were here for a long time (I think we've won the league with 3 managers while City's first 5 were all with different managers) and got several years before they won a trophy, never mind the title, so it makes sense that a lot of fans want to see if we can do that again.

However, I think that ignores the fact that football has changed in that the gap between the biggest clubs and the rest is much bigger now so manager's never take over big clubs at such a low ebb with so much rebuilding required. It also means that you have to find the right man to trust for several years and although Ole has overseen a lot of improvements to the club and has improved the mood I'm not sure his track record or what we've seen so far in terms of the way this team plays (there are probably a handful of good, controlled performances this season) indicates that we're going to get major success if we give him a few more years albeit it's not very clear that the club gives a shit about that anyway or if mostly making the top 4 is sufficient.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Liverpool did with klopp, can’t compare United to Chelsea or city or the top teams from One/two horse leagues like Bayern or Barca so there’s not many top teams to compare to

RedDevilzFox

Liverpool did with klopp, can’t compare United to Chelsea or city or the top teams from One/two horse leagues like Bayern or Barca so there’s not many top teams to compare to
I figured someone will eventually mention Liverpool although I do not see the similarities. Klopp was a proven manager long before he landed at Liverpool and Liverpool were desperate after decades of no league title, they probably felt they were lucky to land him in the first place.

What's our angle other than "hoping" our managers turn out to be another ferguson?

romufc

I have said this quite alot this season but are we the worst passing team in the PL?

None of our players can pass the ball. None of our strikers can hold the ball off.

Its frustrating watching a team that gives away so many passes as this team, surely this has to be worked on?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
What do you mean by 'getting it right'? What exactly have we got so wrong? We lost to the team in 3rd in the PL, as we've lost many cup ties over the years to lower ranked sides. No need for a meltdown.

How many 'big clubs with ambition' had an average league position of 5th as we did 2014-2019?

RedDevilzFox

What do you mean by 'getting it right'? What exactly have we got so wrong? We lost to the team in 3rd in the PL, as we've lost many cup ties over the years to lower ranked sides. No need for a meltdown.

How many 'big clubs with ambition' had an average league position of 5th as we did 2014-2019?
Getting it right meaning winning PL/CL.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I figured someone will eventually mention Liverpool although I do not see the similarities. Klopp was a proven manager long before he landed at Liverpool and Liverpool were desperate after decades of no league title, they probably felt they were lucky to land him in the first place.

What's our angle other than "hoping" our managers turn out to be another ferguson?
You asked who give time, I answered

RedDevilzFox

And how many teams have gone from a solid 5th best team to challenging a team as strong as City for titles?
Are we challenging City for titles? I didn't even realize.

Also, how many teams can and do spend as much money as we do for mediocre (at best) results?

Foxbatt

Why can't we string three passes together? Why can't our players move off the ball instead of standing still? Why don't we play as a team instead of individuals?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Are we challenging City for titles? I didn't even realize.

Also, how many teams can and do spend as much money as we do for mediocre (at best) results?
I never said we were. You say that's what we should be doing. Give me some examples of teams that have made such a big leap from where we were?

Peter Belgium

Yes, we are.

No plan, no pattern or no style. Just a bunch of 11 individuals on the ground trying to do something.

Bringing a right back who can attack because our 50m signing cant attack. Playing Bruno deep , Rashford right, Cavani left.

Seriously WTF is happening?
I agree, Solskjaer depends on individual actions that will make the differences, While other teams have a plan, UTD fails under pressure also, we have no one midfield, We 80 Million dollar man Maguire that is too slow and should not be Captain - We do not play the same Eleven every week, which cause issues

So Solskjaer states that silverware is more for manager ego's, which I do not understand as football is about winning trophies and titles.

Wrong manager, Wrong transfers and poor performance

sp_107

What do you expect from Mckeana and Carrick ?

Strange that such a big club like UTD don’t have a proper coaching setup

Amir

We have absolutely no way to judge them. Maybe they are great at what they do and are hampered by the manager?

I don't bother about them either way. Whether Solskjaer is not good enough or is allowing people who are not good enough to coach the team - the buck stops with him.

Ledom

Seems like a constant issue from a select group of fans that our tactics aren't sophisticated enough. There is a theory that too many instructions can ruin creativity and there are countless examples of players who are stifled because of that very fact. Personally, football shouldn't be micro managed, I don't think it looks pretty and I don't care for the idea of churning out results because of a system. Let the players play for christ sake, tired of this love in with Pep and his process.

Ole is doing a good job, and allowing players to play is part of that. If that means we need new personnel who are capable of being that something special when the opposition bunker down, let's get that special player. Moments of brilliance are what we watch the game for surely, not this stale football that some seem adamant is the way the game should be played.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

The manager picks his coaching team so thats down to him. To be honest though, we dont know if they are good coaches or not

zenith

So many drama queens in here after a defeat to a much better rested team, in a competition where the chances of success were low and we rotated quite a bit.

I'm glad the match going fans are not as toxic and fickle as your lot.

As for coaching, I can see that we are getting there slowly but surely and with just one or two more personnel we will be totally fine.

Infra-red

The manager picks his coaching team so thats down to him. To be honest though, we dont know if they are good coaches or not
We obviously don't have any insight into the training itself (we don't know how the sessions are structured and we wouldn't have the expertise to judge their quality, anyway). All we have to go on is what we see on the pitch, which for the most part is not particularly inspiring.

cyberman

How many teams spend the amount of money we do and have 3 minor trophies in 8 years to show for it?
Cant put that on Ole though. The man has us second and our first choice front 3 didnt cost us a penny.

Amir

As for coaching, I can see that we are getting there slowly but surely and with just one or two more personnel we will be totally fine.
Which one or two? Centerhalf and striker? Or a right winger? What about the midfield? And even if we sort all those out, won't we hear excuses about us needing a RB with better attacking qualities? Or a better GK? Or maybe someone else on the left because Rashford is inconsistent? Or another CB because Maguire is too slow? Or quality backup for Fernandes? Or a new creative force if in a couple of years time, while we work on all that, Fernandes has enough and chooses to leave?

Football is a never ending cycle and you are never going to get the team just right through signings. It also takes quality coaching that will make it a team, that will elevate players, that will mask its weaknesses. We may get better players, but we don't have the coaching to complement them.

wolvored

Seems like a constant issue from a select group of fans that our tactics aren't sophisticated enough. There is a theory that too many instructions can ruin creativity and there are countless examples of players who are stifled because of that very fact. Personally, football shouldn't be micro managed, I don't think it looks pretty and I don't care for the idea of churning out results because of a system. Let the players play for christ sake, tired of this love in with Pep and his process.

Ole is doing a good job, and allowing players to play is part of that. If that means we need new personnel who are capable of being that something special when the opposition bunker down, let's get that special player. Moments of brilliance are what we watch the game for surely, not this stale football that some seem adamant is the way the game should be played.
I watch it also to as see the team win trophies. If not that then what's the point watching football?

I have the impression Ole is one of those people who repeats all the things he's seen other successful managers (SAF) do but has absolutely no understanding of why they did them, the coaching version of Paul Scholes the pundit. I can imagine us doing endless SAF drills in training, ignoring the fact the game has moved on and they might be completely irrelevant to the team we have now. Often it will work but when it doesn't we sit there staring blankly, nothing about his reactions to in game situations suggests he understands what he is seeing on the pitch.

wolvored

Cant put that on Ole though. The man has us second and our first choice front 3 didnt cost us a penny.
He's part of it. He's spent well over 200 odd million and won feck all. Funnily enough didn't we buy Martial?

Judas

Open to offers

I feel like Ole is doomed with his current coaching setup. Carrick and McKenna have been around since Jose. I'd love to see a change to see if anything on the pitch changes, because not much has. Obviously we're not as desperately defensive as we were under Jose, but it's not as if our football has been transformed, we've got better players and clearly a better team spirit now though.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He's part of it. He's spent well over 200 odd million and won feck all. Funnily enough didn't we buy Martial?
This kind of argument makes no sense to me. There’s no context to it at all and I see it written all the time.

Bwah bwah we’ve spent money and havnt won anything, as if we’re the only ones who are spending any money