Television We didn't all go to Gudger College

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Season 1 isn't very good. It's a fairly standard show at that point, plus the animation's weird and Homer's voice isn't right. Lisa's Substitute in season 2 is where it first starts to get brilliant. That and the gorge scene.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
I find that the 2 episodes i most enjoyed are the Last Exit to Springfield and The one where Homer trips balls on the chili.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Season 1 isn't very good. It's a fairly standard show at that point, plus the animation's weird and Homer's voice isn't right. Lisa's Substitute in season 2 is where it first starts to get brilliant. That and the gorge scene.
Is it not season 1 with the gem of the episode where the Simpsons go into the woods?

Scrumpet

There are no words
Lots of great episodes in season 1 even if it does look at sound strange at times. Like the Babysitter Bandit episode and the one with Jebidiah Springfield's head.

Mockney

There are some famous episodes in 1 because it was a big show at the time but they're well below the funny quota. It's not awful, it's a very good animated sitcom for 1989, but episodes like the statue head are famous for posterity really, because it was an adult cartoon about a really naughty boy in Republican America, not because they're particularly funny (at least not big time)

Also Homer isn't formed as a character yet, in fact he's more of a responsible parent and voice of reason while Lisa is a bit sketchy. Bart is the main character.

They're worth watching of course, I just wouldn't count them as golden era.

Is there a good way to stream these? Not on Netflix. I've got a gallon of crab juice and a day to binge watch

http://www.wtso.cc/

Last edited:

John_Jensen

I find that the 2 episodes i most enjoyed are the Last Exit to Springfield and The one where Homer trips balls on the chili.
Thats my favourite episode too, it's flawless from start to finish.

Seasons 3-5 are still the most consistant high-quailty viewing of any tv series ever imo.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Seasons 4-8 are the absolute peak. I'm suprised some people are missing out on 8 - its full of absolutely brilliant episodes, not least perhaps the greatest of all, Homer's Enemy. Season 9 is also very good for the most part but drops the standard here and there, whilst season 10 still has its moments now and again.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

Attention, Marge Simpson, your son has been arrested.

I'd be terribly embarrassed if I were that boy's mother.

Attention, Marge Simpson, we have also arrested your older, balder, fatter son.

Sammy, you're too old to go on a date with two twins the same night. You're supposed to marry Diane without Rebecca knowin'!

All right, Carla, I'll make you a bet. If this affects my major league comeback, I'll sell the bar.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue

Bart: And you've never found anything?

Principal Skinner: Once. But by the time I got to the phone, my discovery had already been reported by Principal Kahoutek. I got back at him, though...him and that little boy of his.

Mr. Burns: Men, there's a little crippled boy sitting in a hospital who wants you to win this game. I know because... I crippled him myself to inspire you.

Milhouse: I hope they win or Mr. Burns said he's coming back.

Krusty: You people are pigs! I personally am gonna spit in every 50th burger.

Homer: I like those odds.

Mockney

Seasons 4-8 are the absolute peak. I'm suprised some people are missing out on 8 - its full of absolutely brilliant episodes, not least perhaps the greatest of all, Homer's Enemy. Season 9 is also very good for the most part but drops the standard here and there, whilst season 10 still has its moments now and again.
8 is still definitely peak. You Only Move Twice, Hurricane Neddy, The Poochie Show, Homer's Phobia, Homer's Enemy, The one where Milhouse's parents divorce, the Military Academy one, the Chili cookoff/space coyote one, the listen lady one, the Burlesque house one, the boxing one....Yeah, absolutely golden era.

Marge: You know Homer, you are a member of a very exclusive club. The family Simpson, which has just 5 members, and only two of those members have special rings.

Kids: Yeah!

*whiiiiiiiiiiiizzhh*

------------------------------------------------------

The wars of the future will not be fought on a battlefield, or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly at the top of a very tall mountain. In any case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today, always remember that your duty is clear: to build and maintain those robots. Thank you.

Last edited:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
8 is still definitely peak. You Only Move Twice, Hurricane Neddy, The Poochie Show, Homer's Phobia, Homer's Enemy, The one where Milhouse's parents divorce, the Military Academy one, the Chili cookoff/space coyote one, the listen lady one, the Burlesque house one, the boxing one....Yeah, absolutely golden era.

Ah, edited already. T'was season six, my favourite. :cool:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

Homer: Hey Herman, I had to come out here to see what's so funny.
[gasps] A counterfeit jeans ring operating out of my car hole!
I'm going to tell everyone. Wait here.
Herman: Not so fast. [levels a gun]
Homer: [slows his gait] OK.
Herman: Maybe you should just stop entirely.
Homer: [stops] Herman, how could you? We've all thought about
counterfeiting jeans at one time or another, but what about the
victims? Hard-working designers like Calvin Klein, Gloria
Vanderbilt, or Antoine Bugle Boy. _These_ are the people who
saw an overcrowded marketplace and said, "Me too!"

Is Bart home?

Mockney

Ah, edited already. T'was season six, my favourite. :cool:
Yeah, I was literally just watching it and got too excited I put it on the list. Great ep.

I can't really pick a favorite, but Homer Badman, The PTA Disbands and A Fish Called Selma are some of my most quotable.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Tennille: Tell me, young man, what do you want out of life?
(While Tennille was speaking, Homer is trying to reach a bowl of peas from the center of the table.)
Homer: I want peas!
Tennille: We all want pea-ce! But it’s always just out of reach.
Homer:(moans) Uh huh?
Tennille: So, what’s the best way to get peace?
Homer: With the knife! (Gets his peas)
Tennille: Exactly! Not with the olive branch, but the bayonet! Ha, ha, Simpson, you’re like the son I never had.
Homer: And you’re like the father I never visit.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I love this episode. I think it's my favourite in season 6.

Skinner 'Who ever brings down that balloon doesn't have to learn fractions!'

Rev. Lovejoy 'It's all over people! We don't have a prayer! Oooooohhhhhh!'

Brockman 'I've said it before and I'll say it again- democracy simply doesn't work'

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Castellanata called that his "Walter Matthau" voice and said it was very hard to do. The voice we all know came about because it's easier to do. Season 1 wasn't that funny alright. Some classic episodes though I have stopped watching really, since about the 9th/10th season.

Looking through the thread: the Trade Union Burns: "did you find the toilet?" Homer: "Ummm............yes!", the Hank Scorpio episode Hank: "did you ever see someone say goodbye to a shoe?" Homer: "Heh heh, yes, once", Homer obese "why you stupid bird!"..........

I stopped watching and others said it lost it's way.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue

Bart & Milhouse: [gasp] Mickey Rooney!

Mickey Rooney: Hi, Milhouse. The studio sent me to talk to you, being a former child star myself, and the number one box office draw from 1939 to 1940.

Bart: Wow, spanning two decades.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool

Skinner: Oh Superintendent, I was just, er, stretching my calves of the windowsill, isometric exercise. Care to join me?

Chalmers: Er, right. Seymour why is there smoke coming out of your oven?
Skinner: Oh no! That isn't smoke, that's steam. Steam from the steamed clams we're having. Mmmm steam clams.
[Skinner runs across to Krusty Burger to buy burgers to replace his burnt roast. He enters the dining room with them.]

Skinner: Well Superintendent I hope you're ready for mouthwatering hamburgers!

Chalmers: I thought you said we were having 'steamed clams'?
Skinner: Oh no, I said 'steamed hams'. That's what I call hamburgers.

Chalmers: You call hamburgers steamed hams?

Skinner: Yes. It's a, regional dialect.
Chalmers: Oh yeah? What region?

Skinner: Er, upstate New York.
Chalmers: Really. Well I'm from Utica and I've never heard the phrase 'steamed hams' before.
Skinner: Oh no, not in Utica it's an, Albany expression.

Chalmers: I see. You know these hamburgers are quite similar to the ones they have at Krusty Burger?

Skinner: Haha, oh no, patented Skinner burgers. Old family recipe.

Chalmers: For steamed hams?
Skinner: Yes.

Chalmers: Yes and you call them steamed hams, despite the fact that are obviously grilled.

Skinner: Uh you know... One thing I should... excuse me for one second.
Chalmers: Of course.
[Skinner enters and leaves the kitchen swiftly upon seeing it is now on fire]

Skinner: Well, that was wonderful. A good time was had by all. I'm pooped.
Chalmers: Yes, I should be, good lord what is happening in there?!!

Skinner: Aurora Borealis?

Chalmers: Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?

Skinner: Yes.

Chalmers: May I see it?
Skinner: Er, no.

Agnes: Seymour, the house is on fire!
Skinner: No, Mother, it's just the Northern Lights.

Chalmers: Well Seymour, you're an odd fellow but I must say you steam a good ham

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I personally think seasons 4 and 7 (actually no, 6...actually no, 7...actually..) are the best, but it's an unmatched, flawless run of perfection from pretty much the start of season 3 to the end of season 9, which is about 150 episodes.

Season 10 is when it starts to go wrong, and you have episodes you actually wouldn't watch all the way through when they came on TV if you've already seen them more than 5 times (that's probably not even true!) though it still has more hits than misses. 11 is where it starts to fall apart, and 12 is where I stop watching.
Season 12 still has more hits than misses for me, but it's clear one or more of the wheels has fallen off by that point. Still some great episodes though. Hungry Hungry Homer is one of my fall time favourites.