We don't talk about Bruno...

Will Singh

Since Ronaldo (he’s hero) has come he’s been crap. Apparently the Portuguese fans think Bruno and Ronaldo can’t play together and so far they’ve been proven right.

Will Singh

Since Ronaldo (he’s hero) has come he’s been crap. Apparently the Portuguese fans think Bruno and Ronaldo can’t play together and so far they’ve been proven right.

HBFSTR00

Supports
Ten hag
Journalists and pundits are definitely giving him a free pass, I haven’t heard them criticize him at all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Eh? How do you inflate goals and assists?
I don't know if inflate is the correct term but if I'm not mistaken bruno scored 23 penalties out of 50 goals for United in all competitions.

Kill3r7

Bruno is out of form (arguably about 16 months now) and he pressing too hard to make it happen. That said, he carried us prior to that into the top4 twice. So cutting him some slack is not the end of the world. We aren’t losing because of Bruno and I am not sure that Donnie is good enough to start over him. Again it comes down to lack of quality in the squad.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't know if inflate is the correct term but if I'm not mistaken bruno scored 23 penalties out of 50 goals for United in all competitions.
I can’t remember the exact number but his goals from open play were right up there with the most prolific attacking midfielders in the league.

Plus any team would benefit from a penalty taker with his conversion rate (until he started sharing duties with Ronaldo anyway)

JPRouve

Scout
I can’t remember the exact number but his goals from open play were right up there with the most prolific attacking midfielders in the league.

Plus any team would benefit from a penalty taker with his conversion rate (until he started sharing duties with Ronaldo anyway)
His best ranking is average, with 0.2 goals per 90. It's for LAM, CAM and RAM.

Revaulx

I'm under the impression that he is fairly judged, people seem to accept that he has been poor and has fundamental weaknesses that may not be fixable. People are also generally not bashing him relentlessly because it's not the thing to do.
Not sure about that…
Really? I think he’s probably our most fairly judged player, at least out of the long-serving ones. Look at the relentless bashing (NOT necessarily underserved) that the likes of Shaw, Maguire, McFred, Rashford and Martial get.

I can think of one massive Pogba fan who was certainly guilty of relentless Bruno bashing, but that seemed to be done for the sole purpose of painting his boy in a favourable light.

JPRouve

Scout
What do you mean “best ranking”? When was that from? I was talking about his first 12 months or so. The time period which ended up with him “on a pedestal”.
Out of 18 players that have played at least 19 games, he is in the middle with the same average than 4 to 5 other players between 8th and 12th.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Out of 18 players that have played at least 19 games, he is in the middle with the same average than 4 to 5 other players between 8th and 12th.
What time period though? You seem to be missing my point. Which is explaining why he ended up much higher rated than most other players in the squad. Which was all about his contributions over a specific time period.

Obviously, those performances weren’t sustained. But that’s a side issue to the specific point being discussed.

Canagel

Eh? How do you inflate goals and assists?
Here they are:

Even when you speak of his output, even when he was putting numbers on the board, a considerable number of his "assists" were comical. A lot of nothing passes. I have spoken about this before, here:

and you can see some examples in this video:

that's not to say all his assists were like that, but a significant number were. I never understood the "Cantona mk.II" shouts this fraud was getting
Inflated goals stats by added penalties and inflated (or better manipulated) assists numbers that were taken out of context due to great finishing. Most of his work in open play wasnt good just like it is now but he would register a penalty and assist and run with the credit at the end of the game.

also his assist numbers were being supported by fans using "chances created" stats as proof of creativity when in reality the stats websites classify set pieces and corners as chances created which inflated his numbers.

lex talionis

We actually do talk about Bruno quite a bit, the focus of that discussion being on his alarming drop in form over that last calendar year or so. Admittedly, the collapse in our performances last season was systemic bar Ronaldo and De Gea, but Bruno has been poor and there has been a great deal of commentary at least here on that. Not sure about media coverage, however.

JPRouve

Scout
What time period though? You seem to be missing my point. Which is explaining why he ended up much higher rated than most other players in the squad. Which was all about his contributions over a specific time period.
Each of his seasons with United. His open goals stats have not changed, during his first season he averaged 0.3 penalty goals per 90 against 0.2 open play goals, the following seasons he had the same open play goals average of 0.2 per 90.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Here they are:

Inflated goals stats by added penalties and inflated (or better manipulated) assists numbers that were taken out of context due to great finishing. Most of his work in open play wasnt good just like it is now but he would register a penalty and assist and run with the credit at the end of the game.

also his assist numbers were being supported by fans using "chances created" stats as proof of creativity when in reality the stats websites classify set pieces and corners as chances created which inflated his numbers.
Nope. These are all from open play. From a season where he (and the whole team) struggled.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Each of his seasons with United. His open goals stats have not changed, during his first season he averaged 0.3 penalty goals per 90 against 0.2 open play goals, the following seasons he had the same open play goals average of 0.2 per 90.
OK, I'll take your word for it. I'm certain I saw some stats for his open play goals early on in his United career and they were as good as, if not better than, anyone else in his position.

Google isn't helping me. All I can find is a comparison with Kevin De Bruyne (which nonetheless do a very good job of explaining why he was so highly rated at the time).

Bruno Fernandes
Games: 37
Starts: 35
Sub appearances: 2

Goals: 18
Assists: 12

Penalties scored: 9

Minutes per goal: 172.7
Minutes per non-penalty goal: 345.5
Minutes per goal or assist: 103.6

Key passes per 90 minutes (total): 2.7 (95)
Successful dribbles per 90 minutes (total): 0.7 (23)
Shots per 90 minutes (total): 3.5 (121)

Kevin De Bruyne
Games: 25
Starts: 23
Sub appearances: 2

Goals: 6
Assists: 12

Penalties scored: 2

Minutes per goal: 333.5
Minutes per non-penalty goal: 500.2
Minutes per goal or assist: 111.1

Key passes per 90 minutes (total): 3.6 (80)
Successful dribbles per 90 minutes (total): 2.2 (48)
Shots per 90 minutes (total): 3.2 (80)

m1tch

Because of the number of underperformers, prioritisation has been necessary based upon how long they've been shite.

At just 1 year Bruno is towards the bottom of the prioritisation list, that's all.

UpWithRivers

Bruno goes in the same bucket as a lot of our players - De Gea, McFred, Maguire, Wan B - yes even them. They are better players in the right system. Bruno needs to just be a free flowing, roaming, risk taking number 10 in a team that doesn't need to hold on to the ball. Bruno went sht when we tried to stop our counter attacking, wild, hit on the break style and he has been asked to adapt i.e control his passing and drop deeper. He will never be a good player under these circumstance no matter how many people say he can. He just cant.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
OK, I'll take your word for it. I'm certain I saw some stats for his open play goals early on in his United career and they were as good as, if not better than, anyone else in his position.
In the league, his goals excluding pens per 90 stats have been pretty stable throughout (around the 0.3 mark).

His assists per 90 have gone down for each season (very high for his first season (over 0.5 p/90), where he obviously didn't play/start that many games), then down to about 0.4 p/90 in his second season, then down to just under 0.2 /90 for the last one.

Again, though - this is league only.

ETA What's obvious is that his overall productivity (g + a) takes a nosedive last season. Even worse if you include pens - of course. But his goal scoring (alone) actually does not (unless you include pens).

Caveat: I'm a drunken idiot, so bear in mind the possibility of me just reading the numbers wrong.

Last edited:

redcorner

I tell you what though...Bruno's first season or couple of months in a Man Utd shirt was just Crrrrazzzy!

I think we would of finished Mid Table if it wasnt for him that year

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In his much heralded six-month run to the end of the season when he first joined us, he scored 3 non-penalty goals, one of which was a free-kick, so 2 from 'open play'. He scored from open play against Everton and against Brighton. In contrast, he scored 9 or 10 pens.

Fooza

When he took that penalty against Arsenal last year instead of Ronaldo and missed still gets me angry