We Miss Fellaini

Danny Boi

Showed in 10 minutes what he can contribute this season.Good besides the goal aswell

Keenst

Fellaini can be effective but that doesnt mean he enhances the team, I still subscribe to the view that he isnt united quality but for his efforts last year, I am not as keen to have him out as I initially was so in that respect he has changed my opinion of him.
Such horse shit. He's a great player to have, get over yourself.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
What a cool guy. What's with the seven as a celebration? If I recall correctly, same thing Carrick had made after his goal recently...

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Showed that he can bring something to the team. Played the pass, went into the box and scored. Something we miss from Rooney

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Great option to have in scenarios like that. You know exactly what's going to happen but it's so hard to stop.
Exactly, don't really see him in our midfield as starter. But he is the perfect man up front for games like that and a great plan B to have.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
How did I know this would be the reaction because he came on and scored? Look I'm happy for him but can we have some kind of perspective here please? It was against a 10 man Brugge. All these calls for him to start are over the top.

He's a good plan b, he's a good option on nights like tonight to keep the opposition penned in when they are clinging on. But he's not first team quality. He's not an out and out striker so who in the team does he replace? Given Pedro looks set to join.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
How did I know this would be the reaction because he came on and scored? Look I'm happy for him but can we have some kind of perspective here please? It was against a 10 man Brugge. All these calls for him to start are over the top.

He's a good plan b, he's a good option on nights like tonight to keep the opposition penned in when they are clinging on. But he's not first team quality. He's not an out and out striker so who in the team does he replace? Given Pedro looks set to join.
I know what you mean and you right. But there's just something about Fellaini, he'll defy logic because he is unique and don't forget about those entangables fueling the big guy.

Rich_H_1989

I know what you mean and you right. But there's just something about Fellaini, he'll defy logic because he is unique and don't forget about those entangables fueling the big guy.
He's an option from the bench I don't dispute that. In some games we have to have a plan b when teams look to park the bus. But he's not a choice from the start. We need to aspire to play better football and he's not the player to do that.

ZDwyr

Carrick's '7' celebration or whatever was to recognise his daughter's birthday I think. Fellaini's could be a few things: acknowledging Memphis, indicating his new number (he is 27, right?) or I dunno...how many goals has he scored for us now? Around 7?

Anyway, he showed why he is valuable. He scores goals. Important goals too.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I think he should be given a chance to cement himself as no.10 or failing that plan B off the bench each week, he's effective, I don't think anyone can deny it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's generally only effective when he's used sparingly instead of starting all the time where the opposition are able to adjust their tactics to deal with him. If he's used as a situational sub, I think will get the best out of him.

Ainu

And last season he did well against plenty of 11 man teams, including away to Liverpool (well, 1st half against 11 anyway) and at home to City. So what's your point? Not that I necessarily think he should always start, but statements like this are ridiculous.

Rich_H_1989

And last season he did well against plenty of 11 man teams, including away to Liverpool (well, 1st half against 11 anyway) and at home to City. So what's your point? Not that I necessarily think he should always start, but statements like this are ridiculous.
My point is let's not go mad by shouting for him to start in the future. Yes he scored an important goal but he did only have 8 touches of the ball so there does need to be some realism. Again I stress, he's got a big part to play as a squad player.

Maroo

He's generally only effective when he's used sparingly instead of starting all the time where the opposition are able to adjust their tactics to deal with him. If he's used as a situational sub, I think will get the best out of him.
Liverpool, City and Spurs knew what they'd be getting from him last season. Inspite, they could not deal with him, could they?

Its good to have that variety in our attack, the brute force of Fellaini, the style of Memphis and the guile of Mata. An opposition will not find it easy to stifle all of these

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

What a cool guy. What's with the seven as a celebration? If I recall correctly, same thing Carrick had made after his goal recently...
I guess Fellaini wanted to express he would have scored 7 goals if played from the start.

I knew he would make the third goal. Epic!

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
You could see by the head on him before he came on there last night that he was raring to go, a man with a mission and a mission he ended up completing.

Let it by lining out for us in the starting XI or coming off the bench the man is a weapon. He'll give opposing teams something different to think about and players like that are important to have knocking around. He's probably deserved a start or a few starts after last night and if he does I'd have no bother or qualms with that.

Smores

He earned his starting spot last year but I still think he's best as a tactical inclusion or impact sub given our current choices.

He could easily become a valued impact sub for when we have teams penned back late in a game and we need the goal. Bit different to super sub OGS but could be as effective.

To be fair we've needed his type of player for a long time especially during Fergie late years when we passed it around the box endlessly. In a way Fergie used Hernandez in the same role.

Seveneric

Weird that according to the experts on here, he was a shit buy by Moyes and not the kind of player that'd fit in Van Gaal's "philosophy". Of course I'm not proclaiming him to be some Moyes masterstroke, but it does show how much some people here know.

Rich_H_1989

Weird that according to the experts on here, he was a shit buy by Moyes and not the kind of player that'd fit in Van Gaal's "philosophy". Of course I'm not proclaiming him to be some Moyes masterstroke, but it does show how much some people here know.
Think he when Moyes signed him I thought it was decent business. OK we overpaid but I'm used to that. But I thought he'd add real bite in midfield whilst providing a threat from set pieces. Fellaini himself said he feels that his best position is DM.

Unfortunately it didn't work out for him under Moyes and really he's not technically good enough to fit in LVGs style. However, what he does do is 1) keep it simple and 2) cause the opponent problems with his height. And for that reason LVG will rightly keep him at the club and use him as an alternative.

But those calling for him to start, who does he seriously replace? I'm just keen to know because the only player he could replace is Rooney... And none of us are happy with Rooney as the out and out striker... But Fellaini definitely isn't a striker.

EricaNo7

I've always thought he was a very good player . He certainly played very well against us .
His first season he was injured a lot , didn't get a preseason with us and I think a lot of people turned against him because he was a Moyes buy

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Fellaini is a true underdog story at united. Came in under a dark cloud being scapegoated because of his association with Moyes. Seemed like a lump on the field and low on confidence. About to be sold by LVG and got injured but now he has risen up and is an important member of the team and started to be loved by the fans. Love it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
My point is let's not go mad by shouting for him to start in the future. Yes he scored an important goal but he did only have 8 touches of the ball so there does need to be some realism. Again I stress, he's got a big part to play as a squad player.
And yet, he made every single one of those 8 touches count/useful... I don't want to turn this into yet more Rooney bashing (as I thought he was alright yesterday) but, even if people claim that we play in a system that doesn't suit a striker/don't creat enough for a striker, you've still got to make the most of any time you do get on the ball, and he simply isn't doing that at the moment.

Fellaini - with limited time and touches, showed you can make an impact/look good, even if you only have 8 touches. Yes he benefited from us playing entirely to his strengths for 5 minutes, but still, he looked sharp, he looked focus (and this was his first competitive minutes of the season) and really wanted it.

Oneunited26

I actually agree he is vital for the team, but I would not use way too much, because he does have that habit of getting sent off. Play him in the big games, and allot of the PL games, less in Europe. Still think fellaini and Herrera are crucial for this team, but with fellaini I would be nervous playing him from the start in European games, PL games especially the big ones, he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. If anyone is our new park, it's fellaini, and he could easily bag us 12 goals this season of VG plays him more

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I acknowledge the fact that United fans just love the underdog story, ie the player with limit talent but a lot of heart. However some people are taking this a bit too far. Fellaini provides a great plan B. He changes the game and makes it difficult for continental teams to adapt for it since they aren't really equipped in marking a big dirty lump upfront whose good in air and chest as much as he's good with his elbows and hands. In matter of fact even the great Vidic and Rio had troubles with him. However god forbid if he becomes our plan A or worse still he's played in the lone striker role. If we need a quality striker who can lead the line that we buy one and not play an old school EPL midfielder there.

In some ways he reminds me of Inzaghi. Jeez he was one of the less talented players I've ever seen at top flight and he was a one trick pony (ie he would stay very close to the defensive line and then either use his pace to outrun opposition or his actor's skills to get a foul/penalty), however it was god damn difficult to defend against.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In some ways he reminds me of Inzaghi. Jeez he was one of the less talented players I've ever seen at top flight and he was a one trick pony (ie he would stay very close to the defensive line and then either use his pace to outrun opposition or his actor's skills to get a foul/penalty), however it was god damn difficult to defend against.
But what a trick though... and a trick that's won him 2 Champions Leagues

ManUtd1999

I'd rather see more speed of thought and movement up front from our other players. We're on the path to playing some slicker football if we express ourselves more. We shouldn't resort to this option yet.
Let me add the following to the well-crafted post of OP: I don't think that playing Fellaini as a starter means necessarily moving to "this option", namely crossing the ball until he heads it home. And, if I understand OP correctly, that's not what he meant. The hold-up play, the aerial threat and the physicality of Fellaini are very much needed throughout the match and they don't translate into "crosses". If you may recall, Fellaini played a big role in our win against City, which was perhaps our biggest win of the season. But we didn't play crosses all game long and he contributed to the goal of Mata by out-muscling his defender on the left flank. The use of crosses last season came mostly when United was desperate for a goal (e.g. West Ham), but not really when we're either leading or early in matches.

Fellaini could be an advantage that we have over many other teams, and the variety that he offers is precious: how many players can be used as the main target when we need a goal in the last 10-15 minutes, on one hand, and a key figure in defending a lead late in the game, on the other? What LVG did with Fellaini in the past 10 months is one of his biggest achievements with us so far!

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I'll just say for those wanting to see Fellaini become a regular in our starting XI and see him leading our attack, "Be careful what you wish for". Not that I think that even LVG would be mad enough to actually go through with such a plan.

FujiVice

I'll just say for those wanting to see Fellaini become a regular in our starting XI and see him leading our attack, "Be careful what you wish for". Not that I think that even LVG would be mad enough to actually go through with such a plan.
He was a regular during our best spell of last season, where he was excellent against Spurs, City, Liverpool and Chelsea. They dont come much harder than those fixtures. Not saying I want him to be in the starting XI every week, but I dont see how its a mad idea when he pretty much was in the starting XI for most of the second half of last season. There are times when it looks like the opposition have no idea what to do with him. He gets himself about so much.

One thing about our team at the minute is the work rate of the players. We have a lot of players in our side who get themselves about.