We need 3 new CMs. Who do we sign?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Realistically, Casemiro, Eriksen & Amrabat will (should) all leave this Summer.
Then you also remember that Donny & Hannibal should be off too, (forgotten about those two?)

That only leaves us with 4 senior MFs to cover a whole season, and one of those 4 is McTominay...!!
Thank feck we don't have European football to contend with..!! :rolleyes:

Gordon S

Then you also remember that Donny & Hannibal should be off too, (forgotten about those two?)

That only leaves us with 4 senior MFs to cover a whole season, and one of those 4 is McTominay...!!
Who are included in the 4 cms you counted? I feel like i have already forgotten a few names:nervous:

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

And 2 of them are #10s.

We need 3 CMs, b2b or DM only.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Who are included in the 4 cms you counted? I feel like i have already forgotten a few names:nervous:
Bruno, Mount, Mainoo & McTominay...and then the cupboard is bare.

davidmichael

And 2 of them are #10s.

We need 3 CMs, b2b or DM only.
We’d be crazy not to go after Guido from Betis on a free as defensive midfield cover and then go for Neves or Varela, there hasn’t been much reliable talk of us in for Guido since February/March

Gordon S

Bruno, Mount, Mainoo & McTominay...and then the cupboard is bare.
Cheers!
I think i categorize Bruno and Mount more as attackers than midfielders.
And i also forgot completely that we had Mount at the club :nervous:
Probably some sort of coping mechanism.

LuckyScout78

Adam Wharton is a must for me. The boy has everything to become a really good CM playmaker in the future. With a really good and precise left foot. His touch of the ball is really good.

+ 2 nd one = Finley McAllister. United own academy. This boy has really good football understanding and his ability on the ball is reallly high too. Not on Wharton level yet. But i do rate McAllister really high too.

Bruno/McAllister/McTom - Wharton/Gore/McAllister - Mainoo/Mount

Young upcoming CM players. But be patience and give them time.

Wharton = 20
McAllister = 18
Mainoo = 18

Patience and time is key.

Hammondo

We need 2 DM's and a CM. Lots of options are suggested but we also need defenders, so they need to be cheap.

davidmichael

I liked Wharton at Blackburn along with Phillips but I must admit I didn’t think he’d take to the PL as quickly as he has, you wonder if Palace would sell him for a £30 million profit on the £20 million they bought him for if it meant they wouldn’t have to sell Eze as it looked a few months back when they said they wanted £60+ million each for Olise and Eze that they were planning for them leaving but Wharton allows Eze to stay you’d think.

Maybe something like Wharton, Varela and Gomes at Lille who’s developed into a very good playmaker would be a good three to bring in without breaking the bank although I’d be happy to bring in Guido on a free instead of Varela if finances demanded as much as Guido is a fantastic player.

NoPace

Bayer seem to be signing Garcia from Girona, so maybe Andrich or Palacios are off? Or they're just signing a 4th CM because they can afford one now? Palacios long contract but there have been paper/online links to us, but Andrich only has 2 years left, though you'd figure he'll just stick around.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bayer seem to be signing Garcia from Girona, so maybe Andrich or Palacios are off? Or they're just signing a 4th CM because they can afford one now? Palacios long contract but there have been paper/online links to us, but Andrich only has 2 years left, though you'd figure he'll just stick around.
Is he like those two or can he be seen as a backup/successor to Xhaka? Xhaka almost always played this season while Andrich and Palacios rotated.

G-manc

I don’t see the fuss with Onana; he’s physical but so limited and Everton would want stupid money. He’s not the profile I’d like personally.

He’s spent as much time on their bench as playing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We should be all over that Barkley deal tbh. Similar deal to Eriksen but he has a much better engine.

Spend the money and get Varela and Neves. Would take Amrabat for 10m too.

NoPace

Is he like those two or can he be seen as a backup/successor to Xhaka? Xhaka almost always played this season while Andrich and Palacios rotated.
I haven't seen a ton of him, but if you figure Andrich/Palacios are fighting for the ball-winner spot and Xhaka backed up by a Spanish CM who isn't quick as the passer, yeah, that makes sense.

NoPace

I don’t see the fuss with Onana; he’s physical but so limited and Everton would want stupid money. He’s not the profile I’d like personally.

He’s spent as much time on their bench as playing.
I think the situation where it makes sense is if Dyche says he wants AWB or McTominay in exchange to come right into the team and fit his defensive style, and the money becomes very reasonable on top of that (say 15-20M), and we sign a first choice DM and it's DM-Onana-Mainoo-Bruno-Mount as the main 5 options for CM.

JE-365

Joao Neves & Amrabat in. Eriksen & Casemiro out.

I know Amrabat hasn’t done good in overall season but mainly because he hasn’t been given enough opportunity, which only ten hag knows why. It could be because he still lacks of the fitness to play high intensity PL match after missing pre-season or because Casemiro has clause that he must start every game. But that performance vs City was superb. Even the games against Newcastle and Arsenal, he looks good. Which makes me think that £15m to £20m could be a good deal to improve our squad depth in midfield. And he’s a fighter.

Signing young top talented player like Joao Neves and cheap punt DM like Amrabat will be good additional to the squad IMO.

Redivy

Zubimendi, Hayden Hackney, Doue.

I think Doue would end up on the flank for his first few years anyway.

Hoboman

Would like to see Joao Neves and Joao Gomes alongside Mainoo - could be pretty dynamic, technical and industrious trio.
Luck a bit of physicality though.

Mas Risky

Hojbjerg (Tottenham), Fofana (Monaco), and Longstaff (Newcastle). Their contract will expire next year. I reckon we can get them with decent price.

ROFLUTION

What's the deal with people considering Barkley?

@Dirty Schwein you probably watch Luton a bit more than the average fan on here, is he squad player material at United?

WelshManc

Would love to get Adam Wharton from Palace and Hjulmund from Sporting.

I doubt it's possible due to his Leeds connections but now that they're staying in the Championship, I'd like it if we tried for Archie Gray.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Hojbjerg (Tottenham), Fofana (Monaco), and Longstaff (Newcastle). Their contract will expire next year. I reckon we can get them with decent price.
For good reason. They would be horrible signings.

ROFLUTION

Joao Neves looks absolutely great, but also the opposite of a modern central midfielder. One that dribbles all the time instead of being the structural anchorpoint of the team.

It feels slightly like watching Maradona in central midfield.

I'm not saying no to him, but I do worry it'll be a bit like a Pogba / square peg in a round hole and a player for a certain manager type instead of for a system (which is what we should be looking for long term).

Darlington Padgett

We’d be crazy not to go after Guido from Betis on a free as defensive midfield cover and then go for Neves or Varela, there hasn’t been much reliable talk of us in for Guido since February/March
I think Guido has a verbal agreement with Barcelona already.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
What's the deal with people considering Barkley?

@Dirty Schwein you probably watch Luton a bit more than the average fan on here, is he squad player material at United?
He was immense for us and our player of the season. But Erikson was the same at Brentford. This might be a short-sighted signing because he needs to be the main man, and he won't be at United.

Whilst Barkley was fantastic, saw passes the rest of our team aren't good enough to read, constantly trying to create and felt like the old Ross Barkley... He also kept trying to dribble out of danger and getting caught. This led to a few goals conceded. It's forgiven at Luton but won't be at United

With that said, if you can get him on a good contract at a low price and play him in his preferred position, it could be a shrewd signing.

At least he proved his fitness with us, only being injured for a small portion of the season.

Von Mistelroum

We're absolutely not buying 3 new CM's. We'll probably get one, and maybe see if we can make Amrabat's loan permanent. We're skint and need other positions too. We're after a new striker to receive no service from Garnacho and Rashford, and we're after a new right winger to add to the stockpile of RWs... For some reason.

Bwuk

Leeds are f*cked financially and need to sell a bunch, they banked on going up.

I'd 100% be buying Archie Gray. Can cover right back as well.

ROFLUTION

He was immense for us and our player of the season. But Erikson was the same at Brentford. This might be a short-sighted signing because he needs to be the main man, and he won't be at United.

Whilst Barkley was fantastic, saw passes the rest of our team aren't good enough to read, constantly trying to create and felt like the old Ross Barkley... He also kept trying to dribble out of danger and getting caught. This led to a few goals conceded. It's forgiven at Luton but won't be at United

With that said, if you can get him on a good contract at a low price and play him in his preferred position, it could be a shrewd signing.

At least he proved his fitness with us, only being injured for a small portion of the season.
Cheers. Does seem like signing Barkley will set others back, if we have to play a 30 year old regularly to get the best out of him. Id rather buy and develop a better long term prospect.

ROFLUTION

Summerville for me. Great talent. What’s Archie Grays strength and weaknesses?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Cheers. Does seem like signing Barkley will set others back, if we have to play a 30 year old regularly to get the best out of him. Id rather buy and develop a better long term prospect.
I agree. I think villa are interested in him and he can do a job there. He needs to be at a stable club also. Don't think he will amount to much at United unfortunately.

dinostar77

We're absolutely not buying 3 new CM's. We'll probably get one, and maybe see if we can make Amrabat's loan permanent. We're skint and need other positions too. We're after a new striker to receive no service from Garnacho and Rashford, and we're after a new right winger to add to the stockpile of RWs... For some reason.
What's the most amount of players we have bought in a single window historically? 5? Recently it's been about 3 in a window.

Agree that we won't buy 3 CMs. If we go by the Passer-creator-destroyer midfield trio as an example then it's Mainoo - new CM destroyer -fernandes as the starting trio. With Mount, mctominay and amrabat as backups. This is based on assumption that amrabat stays and casemiro, eriksen, van der beek leave.

So that would realistically be a single CM coming in. Leaving funds for other positions that need reinforcing.

luke511

I’m all in on the idea of us getting him and Neves. Them along with Mainoo is our midfield potentially sorted for the next decade.

r0663664

Worships Man City
We just need to sign someone with an Roll Royce engine, good pace and cover lot of ground with better passing than MCTominay. I think the midfield will improve alot.

Hammondo

I think its less likely we will get a Striker, we need midfielders and defenders more.