We need 3 new CMs. Who do we sign?

Gilmour for 60m and a strong DM for 30-40m
Make Amrabat permanent for 10-15m.

I think we will be buying cheaper players overall. 60m is a bit much when we need quite a few players.
Think we will spend a good amount on one midfielder and one defender - that's 100%.

Rest will be dependent on sales.

Realistically, Casemiro, Eriksen & Amrabat will (should) all leave this Summer.
Then you also remember that Donny & Hannibal should be off too, (forgotten about those two?)

That only leaves us with 4 senior MFs to cover a whole season, and one of those 4 is McTominay...!!
Thank feck we don't have European football to contend with..!! :rolleyes:
Hopefully a reverse jinx… that worked.

I agree. I think villa are interested in him and he can do a job there. He needs to be at a stable club also. Don't think he will amount to much at United unfortunately.
What’s not stable about us?! :cool:

Stable board, stable manager, stable players… if we were any more stable, we’d have Mary and Joseph queueing up.

(but Barkley should be about 25,000th on our list of potential midfielders, stable or otherwise).

Think we will spend a good amount on one midfielder and one defender - that's 100%.

Rest will be dependent on sales.
Agree with you. A CB for sure since we need to replace varane and a CDM to replace casemiro.

Also think we will bring in another striker. After that it's all dependent on sales. We have been heavily linked with an interest in Olisse throughout the season so will be interesting to see if we do anything probably dependent on dumping Antony somewhere else.

I think just two midfielders would make a real positive difference to the team. But possession football as some of you want to see, can only be achieved if you can play out from the back. And who the CBs are in that regard and how well they play against the opponent's high press in confined spaces in possession will go a long way to exerting more dominance in possession. Because to exert control in possession and potentially dominate games, the CBs are just as important as midfielders if the aim is to play a possession based game and that starts from the back.

And as far as who needs to be signed, I think a lot of the times people are too fixated on players who are in high demand with a huge asking price. I don't believe we need to spend crazy amounts of money to raise the level of the team. And as far as the midfield is the concerned, we specifically need to raise the physical, athletic and the technical level of the team. Which will make us better on the ball, better out of possession due to the extra pace, physicality and tenacity.

And I think if we signed Yusuf Fofana (Monaco) along with Alan Varela from Porto, it would be a good start to upgrading the midfield as far as what we lack right now which I've mentioned above. Fofana is coming into the last year of his contract and will likely be available for a reasonable price. Fofana is a complimentary midfielder and would suit playing with both Mainoo and Varela.

Varela was again the best player in the Portuguese Cup final. Where Porto defeated SCP to win the Cup. I think at 22 years of age, he's a player that we should be looking at.

https://x.com/RisingStarXI/status/1794861620213997832?t=hnOG2GlfoRbc1xZLPa4kBQ&s=19

I think just two midfielders would make a real positive difference to the team. But possession football as some of you want to see, can only be achieved if you can play out from the back. And who the CBs are in that regard and how well they play against the opponent's high press in confined spaces in possession will go a long way to exerting more dominance in possession. Because to exert control in possession and potentially dominate games, the CBs are just as important as midfielders if the aim is to play a possession based game and that starts from the back.

And as far as who needs to be signed, I think a lot of the times people are too fixated on players who are in high demand with a huge asking price. I don't believe we need to spend crazy amounts of money to raise the level of the team. And as far as the midfield is the concerned, we specifically need to raise the physical, athletic and the technical level of the team. Which will make us better on the ball, better out of possession due to the extra pace, physicality and tenacity.

And I think if we signed Yusuf Fofana (Monaco) along with Alan Varela from Porto, it would be a good start to upgrading the midfield as far as what we lack right now which I've mentioned above. Fofana is coming into the last year of his contract and will likely be available for a reasonable price. Fofana is a complimentary midfielder and would suit playing with both Mainoo and Varela.

Varela was again the best player in the Portuguese Cup final. Where Porto defeated SCP to win the Cup. I think at 22 years of age, he's a player that we should be looking at.

https://x.com/RisingStarXI/status/1794861620213997832?t=hnOG2GlfoRbc1xZLPa4kBQ&s=19

Do we have any idea of how expensive Varela would be though?

He’s only had 1 year with Porto and has 4 years remaining on his contract so it seems unlikely that he’d be available for cheap. Having said that, I definitely think that if we can find a no 6 we really believe in, then that’s the priority signing for the summer. I think we should be able to fix our central defense for less considering the options that are available. I’m thinking of the likes of Tosin/Todibo/Lucumi.

Fofana might be cheap but from what I’ve read about him from @JPRouve, he sounds like a player we should avoid.

Do we have any idea of how expensive Varela would be though?

He’s only had 1 year with Porto and has 4 years remaining on his contract so it seems unlikely that he’d be available for cheap. Having said that, I definitely think that if we can find a no 6 we really believe in, then that’s the priority signing for the summer. I think we should be able to fix our central defense for less considering the options that are available. I’m thinking of the likes of Tosin/Todibo/Lucumi.

Fofana might be cheap but from what I’ve read about him from @JPRouve, he sounds like a player we should avoid.
Varela will be £60m at the most due to him having a release clause. But maybe that can be negotiated down. When I first mentioned him on here, he went for €8m from Boca to Porto. He's a cultured player, with grit and tenacity and would be a good investment due to his age and potential.

I think if you look at the Monaco team and specifically their midfield, the onus is on Fofana to be the creative hub from a deeper midfield position. Camara and Zakaria do their job from a defensive pov but Fofana is the standout player as far as progressing the ball via the pass and dribble in comparison to the aforementioned players. But I don't believe Fofana will be that player in a midfield with Varela and Mainoo who would both be the go to midfield controllers in possession. So unlike at Monaco where Fofana is the most accomplished player on the ball in the deeper midfield, he wouldn't have that responsibility at United with players like Varela and Mainoo taking care of the creative duties whilst Fofana compliments them out of possesion due to his duel winning capability and his ability on the ball where statistically his progressive passes, progressive carries and successful take on percentage is very good.

It's all about the composition of the midfield and what Fofana is doing at Monaco under Adi Hutter, who is a coach who wants to get the ball forward to his attacking mids and strikers with a minimal amount of passes, would be very different different to what he would be required to do in possession in a midfield with Mainoo and Varela. Fofana for €20m to €25m wood be a good complimentary signing to players like Mainoo and Varela who would take care of the creative responsibilities from midfield, whilst Fofana would provide things out of possession to compliment both Varela and Mainoo.

Agree with you. A CB for sure since we need to replace varane and a CDM to replace casemiro.

Also think we will bring in another striker.
Our need of a good full back is really dire. Given Dalot versatility, it could be either LB or RB, but full back is an absolute must.

Our need of a good full back is really dire. Given Dalot versatility, it could be either LB or RB, but full back is an absolute must.
I’d like a RB. AWB has some decent games but also switches off at back post/last man at times.

A top RB, Shaw, Dalot, Malacia is good cover and hopefully Amass kicks on and gets in squad as serious competition for LB in 2025/26

I’d like a RB. AWB has some decent games but also switches off at back post/last man at times.

A top RB, Shaw, Dalot, Malacia is good cover and hopefully Amass kicks on and gets in squad as serious competition for LB in 2025/26

A top RB is not a priority, Dalot did a good job this season and has earned a starting place. Priority should be a 2 midfielders, a CB and a striker.

but Bissaka didn’t do a good job as a LB, so we sort of need one

Fernandez might be able to make the step up next season. No doubt that they’re is a need but with the way things stand, fullback seems to be far down the list.

A top RB is not a priority, Dalot did a good job this season and has earned a starting place. Priority should be a 2 midfielders, a CB and a striker.
Who said it was a priority?

Theres no player cap here. AWB isn’t good enough, same as some other players but we’re getting rid of between 5-10 players this summer and we’ll bring in cash and slash the wage bill. Add to the £100m+ we start with (and amortisation rules) and we shouldn’t be penny pinching.

I can see him staying, I just don’t think he’s good enough

Fernandez might be able to make the step up next season. No doubt that they’re is a need but with the way things stand, fullback seems to be far down the list.

We've just sold him.

Shaw is usually injured, AWB is not good enough to be first choice, so we definitely need a full back. Dalot being able to play left or right, and being able to do the inverted role, is a luxury as it means we should be able to pick either a LB or RB.

We still need a RW imo, that should be a priority too if we're not bringing Greenwood back. Diallo and Antony are not at the level of the players all the other top clubs have on the RW.

My spend would be:
- £50m RW
- £70m two CMs or £50m on a great one
- £20m lb or CB

Above all I really don't want us to spend £60m on PL players like Mount or £70m on a CB or ageing players like Casemiro. Scout properly for once and sign some younger talents that can grow into the team. Most of the core of our team is young, build for the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Going to need energy and players that can get around for 90 mins. Be bringing in 3 midfielders that can get about the pitch and has bit of technical ability.

Europa league next season, Thursday and Sunday football. If ten Hag stays he be playing Manoo and Bruno every game.

We still need a RW imo, that should be a priority too if we're not bringing Greenwood back. Diallo and Antony are not at the level of the players all the other top clubs have on the RW.

My spend would be:
- £50m RW
- £20m lb or CB

Above all I really don't want us to spend £60m on PL players like Mount or £70m on a CB or ageing players like Casemiro. Scout properly for once and sign some younger talents that can grow into the team. Most of the core of our team is young, build for the next 2-3 years.
The gossip is Olise wants to come to us and has a £60m release clause.

I’ve not seen tons of him so not a player I think “he’s fantastic, buy!” but looks pretty good, already knows PL and young.

My spend would be:
- £50m RW
- £20m lb or CB

Amad and Garnacho are strong enough options for the right wing next season. Garnacho has looked the better player on that side in honesty, and Amad has very high potential too, he can offer a lot as a wide playmaker. That 60 million needs spending on centre midfield and defence, along with the other holes in the squad.

A combination of Fofana and Varela would be a good fit for our squad. Varela replacing Erikssen's passing ability from deep and Fofana providing the athleticism, speed and defensive awareness. Both could be acquired for the price of what Everton could demand for Onana. Even though I like Onana, this might make sense given our budget. Lucas Gourna Douth has a similar profile to Fofana and I feel he is on the verge of breaking out, I wouldn't mind us acquiring him with Varela, instead of Fofana.

It's so important that we get a midfield partner to compliment Mainoo.

Assuming ten Hag is still manager next season, I can see the midfield setting up as below:

Mainoo/Mount - Bruno/McTominay
New 6/Amrabat​

I still maintain that Mount was an odd signing. Not a bad player, but someone who doesn't quite fit the profile of player you'd want from a number 8. I can't imagine we'll offload him, hence why I think it'll be the midfield options above next season.

Now, the 6 option is so important. We've seen the difference a performing holding midfielder makes, and in Amrabat, whilst not perfect, he has put in some really good performances of late. Stylistically, we should be looking for looking similar. For that reason, I'd probably look to keep Amrabat as a squad player. For 20M, I think that would represent good value for money.

Below, I've devised a list of holding midfielders we've been linked with:

Ederson
Alan Varela
Mats Wieffer
Youssouf Fofana
Joao Gomes
Joao Neves
Morten Hjulmand
Amadou Onana
Exequiel Palacios
Florentino Luis

Question is, which one of the above would compliment our current midfielders the most and represent the best value for money?

A combination of Fofana and Varela would be a good fit for our squad. Varela replacing Erikssen's passing ability from deep and Fofana providing the athleticism, speed and defensive awareness. Both could be acquired for the price of what Everton could demand for Onana. Even though I like Onana, this might make sense given our budget. Lucas Gourna Douth has a similar profile to Fofana and I feel he is on the verge of breaking out, I wouldn't mind us acquiring him with Varela, instead of Fofana.
I think you could be right and it might serve us better to target players other than Amadou Onana due to what Everton will likely demand for him.

Lucas Gourna-Douath is someone who I mentioned on here several years ago when he was a teenager coming through at Saint Ettiene. I think a player of his profile is absolutely required in a midfield in the EPL due to the pace, physicality and athleticism of the league. So instead of Amadou Onana I'd like to see us sign Youssouf Fofana for a knock down fee along with Lucas Gourna-Douath. And if we can manage to sign Gourna-Douath, Fofana and Varela, then I feel that would make the midfield very balanced and provide much needed depth aswell.

Mats Wieffer is another player who I mentioned on here a few years ago as someone who I'd like us to take a chance on. And he's someone who at 24 years of age looks to be a very interesting midfield player who is comfortable on the ball and has strong duel winning ability both in open space and confined spaces due to his height and frame.

An ideal DM would be Cambiasso type. Hardman but still skillful passer. Although a Mascherano type would be welcomed also, an insanely good tackler with good positioning.

Personally I think we should be looking for a more of a Regista midfielder. More of a Carrick/Rodri. I think this is why Ten Hag was so hell-bent on getting De Jong. We need to starting dictating games. I'm excited about the prospect of signing Joao Neves but I think (budget wise) that could be another 12 months away given the other positions we need to address eg, LB, CB, CF.

Personally I think we should be looking for a more of a Regista midfielder. More of a Carrick/Rodri. I think this is why Ten Hag was so hell-bent on getting De Jong. We need to starting dictating games. I'm excited about the prospect of signing Joao Neves but I think (budget wise) that could be another 12 months away given the other positions we need to address eg, LB, CB, CF.
Joao Neves is that type alright.
Zubimendi has a reasonable release clause as far as I know.

In ten Hag's recent interview with Gary Neville, he said that he wanted a pivot of de Jong and Casemiro. This would suggest he still wanted a ball winning type in his midfield, in addition to a ball player in de Jong.

In Mainoo, we now have a de Jong type of midfielder, hence why I think ten Hag's priority will be to sign more of a combative midfielder.

From 18:10

I think, with Mainoo and Bruno, along with, what I hope will be Martinez and a new ball playing centre back on the right, that should be enough to compensate for the midfielder we bring in if they're not the greatest on the ball.

For example, Casemiro looked more exposed this season because he didn't have Martinez or Shaw, who are both so important to us being able to build from the back.

I'd love to see Neves and someone like Rabiot/Palhinha signed. Both these players would provide valuable experience until Mainoo and Neves were established.

1. Neves
2. Amrabat for less than 10 mil
3. Barkley or Rabiot for free

Selling Casemiro, McTominay, Hannibal, Eriksen and Donnie, which should be enough to sign Neves

DM: Neves, Amrabat
CM: Mainoo, Barkley / Rabiot, Bruno, Mount

1. Neves
2. Amrabat for less than 10 mil
3. Barkley or Rabiot for free

Selling Casemiro, McTominay, Hannibal, Eriksen and Donnie, which should be enough to sign Neves

DM: Neves, Amrabat
CM: Mainoo, Barkley / Rabiot, Bruno, Mount
For everyone calling for Rabiot, he would want a high salary and he is 29 years old. Also has a questionable character and a very annoying mom/agent. That's not the INEOs way and I'd rather buy a not so expensive MF instead (like K.Thuram) or Barkley.

So far, maybe my final end decicions. Only cm players from the Euro 2024 and Euro U19 2024 can change mine decicions so far. But you get to be really good, in your positions. To make me change mine minds.

End decision :

1. United new left foot central midfield playmaker, all around cm player. In Adam Wharton from Crytal Palace. A really good and precise left foot. He was "the brain" of Palace. And naturally he will become the "brain and creative " of United build up. The cm player that bind the defend and attack.

He has no stress in his debut for England. Playing with the big boys. No stress and just calm as ice. I really his skill and mentality. He got what it takes to become a really good cm player in the future. On the highest level.

+ A important key factor = With his precise left foot playmaker ability. He will be a really good back up for Martinez with Shaw, In need and crisis.

2. United own academy player, U18. Become 18 next month. Finley McAllister. Another creative and cm playmaker. He can both play the deep lying nr.6 playmaker in a 433 formation and as the nr.8/RCM player in 433.

Really good football understanding and basic football skills
Really good and precise with few touches, quick and direct football.
Really good timing with the run intor the final third. Then deliver a assist pass to the CF.

3. Amrabat, become 28 soon. Replacement for Casemiro as the DM/nr.6. Didn't start and play with Mainoo into the last league games and FA final victory against Manchester City. Where he shield and protect United back line really good. He contribute and helped United to become harder to pass, tighter and more aggresive defend. I think that were the reasons why United and Ten Hag brought him. Same role and abilities for his country Marocco.

So how to line them up? First in a 433 formation. A offensive and proactive 433:

Olise/LW - Bruno - Wharton - Mainoo - Rashford + Højlund

A more counter and defensive line up. Against a high defensive line, 451 :

LW - Bruno/Mainoo - Amrabat - Wharton - Rashford + Højlund

+ Against most of team in premier league. I think United shall play with a offensive and more attacking line up. Only against City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Those teams where theirs XI has drill and play together a lot. A lot more than United.

But with the playmaker and controlling ability of Adam Wharton. Hold back a bit. I think United will be able to dominate against most teams. Wharton will bring balance and the perfect link between defend and attack.

Against. There maybe some players i have never seen before in coming Euro 2024 and Euro u19 for men. Without those 2 tournaments. Those 3 players would be mine end decisions. Really satisfy with those players and those 3 players are giving me really good feelings. That theirs have what it takes. To develop and build United to become a better team and close to the top teams. And out beat them of course. Winning the premier league.

I'm probably being a Canadian homer here, but every time we play, Eustaqio looks at worst our 2nd best player (depending on how Davies is doing), even ahead of Jonathan David, even though he's normally paired with a fairly raw Kone in midfield (plays for Watford, smooth carrier of the ball and good athlete, but bit lacking in defensive awareness and just the usual CM stuff that young #8s tend to struggle with).

Can play as a #8 or #6, comes off the bench for Porto behind Nico Gonzalez and Varela. Good passer, flies into tackles, generally available for the ball and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. I think he'd do a solid job in the Prem. He's just a good boring professional midfielder we could use as a defensive option to spell Mainoo or play next to him in a double pivot when the big expensive #6 is out/resting.

Gilmour for 60m and a strong DM for 30-40m
Make Amrabat permanent for 10-15m.
We have better youngsters coming through than Gilmore, they are not ready yet but there is no point wasting money on gilmore as he is an average player.

Last edited: