We need a fecking centre forward thread

Glorio

I'd be surprised if this thread didn't exist. Loads of us on this forum expressed trepidation at going into the season without a CF.

Martial's injury woes were well documented, even though he had a storming pre-season, and Ronaldo's net effect on the team was there for all who actually put away the Ronny tinted glasses to see.

I feel that this season, the lack of a CF could cost us massively if we don't address it in January. It's already cost us a few points in the PL and the EL, and in my opinion, has cost a lot of our youngsters valuable minutes against the likes of Omonia.
Martial showed us how quickly we could put such teams to sword with a decent striker when he came on the other night. We could have built up unassailable leads in both first halves and had the youngsters and fringe players end the game, but instead we huffed and puffed with loads of possession but not tip of the spear to deal the telling blows.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Seeing that you already opened this thread, it shouldn’t be difficult for you to open one.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When we get rid Ronaldo i would love that we go for Ivan Toney.
Long term solution (unlike Kane who would cost too much) and he would offer everything what we need.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I like his hold up play - but I’m unsure if he scores enough goals outside penalties.

I guess he could be a Drogba though.
That would be my assessment too.

If we compare him to some of the other names that have been mentioned in this thread in terms of their open play goals and open play expected goals per 90 last season:

Toney: 0.22 goals & 0.25 xG
Osimhen: 0.64 goals & 0.52 xG
Vlahovic: 0.58 goals & 0.42 xG
Martinez: 0.71 goals & 0.61 xG

There's a pretty clear difference.

And it isn't just down to Toney playing for a weaker team in a better league either, as even when he was having his best ever season playing for the best attack in the Championship he was still returning at a lower rate than any of those players (0.51 goals). And Toney is older than all three of them too.

That doesn't make him a bad player or mean he'd be a bad buy. But if his price was anywhere in the same ballpark as more elite players it would be hard to justify not opting for them instead.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That would be my assessment too.

If we compare him to some of the other names that have been mentioned in this thread in terms of their open play goals and open play expected goals per 90 last season:

Toney: 0.22 goals & 0.25 xG
Osimhen: 0.64 goals & 0.52 xG
Vlahovic: 0.58 goals & 0.42 xG
Martinez: 0.71 goals & 0.61 xG

There's a pretty clear difference.

And it isn't just down to Toney playing for a weaker team in a better league either, as even when he was having his best ever season playing for the best attack in the Championship he was still returning at a lower rate than any of those players (0.51 goals). And Toney is older than all three of them too.

That doesn't make him a bad player or mean he'd be a bad buy. But if his price was anywhere in the same ballpark as more elite players it would be hard to justify not opting for them instead.
Yeah.

I’m not sure his stats wow me once I take away penalties.

I feel he wouldn’t be bad to add some depth to our squad but I’m unsure if he would be our long term starting number 9 either.

JohnnyLaw

Funny enough, we used to have a guy call Lukaku, just gave up on him and switch to strikers who are not traditional #9.
Yeah well thats Ole the manager for you.
Seriously, we’re shitting on Ole for ridding us of Lukaku, in 2022!??

Getting most of our money back for that lump was like the objectively greatest piece of business we made during his tenure and Rashford and Martial both thrived in his abscence.

:houllier::houllier::houllier:

MegadrivePerson

If we qualify for the Champions League next season and Spurs don't, we have a real shot at getting Harry Kane in the summer. He clearly doesn't want to stay at Spurs otherwise he'd have signed a new contract. Man City isn't an option for him now they've got Haaland. He won't go to Arsenal or Chelsea out of respect for Spurs, so that only really leaves United and Liverpool. I really don't think he will go abroad as I think he wants to try and brake the Premier League goalscoring record. If it's between us and Liverpool then we will likely offer him more money. I doubt Liverpool would even be interested in signing him too!

If we wait until the end of the summer window and tell Spurs 30/40 million take it or leave it or we'll sign him on a free next summer, I think we can get him!

Chairman Steve

If he wants Gakpo in January, I say sanction that move ASAP.

Especially with all his other buys being good so far.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I came into this thread expecting to see some exciting names and I’m seeing some clowns crying over fecking Lukaku?! :lol:

DancingPanda

I said this years ago and I'm saying it again despite it being an unpopular opinion (although slightly less so nowadays?), but I really want Mitrovic in the team. Would have been a perfect squad player and a different option off the bench.

Dion

I said this years ago and I'm saying it again despite it being an unpopular opinion (although slightly less so nowadays?), but I really want Mitrovic in the team. Would have been a perfect squad player and a different option off the bench.
Would cost a fortune, for a 28 year old that seems unwise.

RedDevilQuebecois

I came into this thread expecting to see some exciting names and I’m seeing some clowns crying over fecking Lukaku?! :lol:
That name should be outright banned from all conversations. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Back on topic, I hope we give PSV what they want so we can sign Gapko in return. We obviously need someone else because we can't carry on like this with Rashford firing blanks, Martial always injured and Ronaldo pushing his primadonna level to over 9000.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I would rather we went for someone precocious like Sesko. Who is the next big young striker prospect? Pay the wedge. Bed him in while Martial and Rashford plays out to it’s full potential for better or worse. I personally think they can still be a really good fluid partnership with Sancho over the next few years if Rashford wakes up and Martial can stay fit.

Red00012

That name should be outright banned from all conversations. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Back on topic, I hope we give PSV what they want so we can sign Gapko in return. We obviously need someone else because we can't carry on like this with Rashford firing blanks, Martial always injured and Ronaldo pushing his primadonna level to over 9000.
He’s a winger not a CF

ForeverRed1

I would rather we went for someone precocious like Sesko. Who is the next best young striker prospect? Bed him in while Martial and Rashford plays out to it’s full potential for better or worse.
Sesko has signed for leipzig next season. Done deal.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Benzema as a stop gap :wenger:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Sesko has signed for leipzig next season. Done deal.
Oh ya I know that, I’m saying someone about to break through like Sesko. I think the lad Alvarez at city would probably have been a cracking signing for us instead of Ronadlo. I don’t think we will see the best of him at city for a while because they are stacked. He would surely have played plenty if he came here.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I would rather we went for someone precocious like Sesko. Who is the next big young striker prospect? Pay the wedge. Bed him in while Martial and Rashford plays out to it’s full potential for better or worse. I personally think they can still be a really good fluid partnership with Sancho over the next few years if Rashford wakes up and Martial can stay fit.
I said it in the Transfer section, but the masterstroke would be bringing in Benzema and your aformentioned top striking prospect in the same summer. You'd get the last good years of Benzema who's brilliant, while bedding in Sesko/whoever else you like before they take over. Again I would only want Benz IF we got his understudy as well.

I think that's a better plan than spunking 100m on good but not great strikers and hoping they pan out, or overpaying for a smaller PL clubs guy.

RedIan

A centre forward signing in the January window is an absolute must.
Ronaldo will be gone in this window now hes pissed on his chips, Greenwoods is finished.. Martials glass back means he can never be relied on to be fit..
So now imagine Rashford gets crocked which on his track record is likely at some point..

The question is who can we realistically get in..

Hammondo

But we literally created nothing when he wasn't on, so how are we going to score? It happened against Sheriff, also, so it isn't just one time.

Do we just go through 60 or so minutes of the game creating nothing and then hope Rashford can do something in the remaining minutes? Seems a terrible idea.
We don't create much with him either.

Teja

And in my opinion, has cost a lot of our youngsters valuable minutes against the likes of Omonia.
That's actually a very good point, haven't seen that before.

Still think that we should go in for someone like Osimhen next summer instead of panic buying in Jan. The rebuild won't be complete in a year.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If. A big if, Ronaldo leaves next season and we sign Frenkie and a RB which eats up our budget, would you take Tadic as a stop gap solution? maybe for one year.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Another game that shows we aren't going far without a centre forward.
It's painful

Dominos

The painful thing is we need 2 of them. One to replace Ronaldo and one to deputise, Martial unfortunately just cannot be relied upon.

croadyman

Sign whoever is available in January or wait it out until next summer for the right one. What do we think is the best option?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Given were shit at finding smart deals well have to overpay for one this summer. Hope we do.

But I'd bring in a stop gap in January regardless while selling Ronaldo as we need some physicality and hold up play at least.

amolbhatia50k

I think there will be a stop gap signing and a young hungry striker coming too. Not sure when though!
There should. We aren't finding our next number 9 in Jan but clearly can't go on like this without one.

amolbhatia50k

If. A big if, Ronaldo leaves next season and we sign Frenkie and a RB which eats up our budget, would you take Tadic as a stop gap solution? maybe for one year.
We should probably not go for Frenkie now. While I think we can do with someone like him, we've spent 60 million on Casemiro in midfield and our attack needs serious repair work. Either way we'll have to find a good deal either in midfield or in attack and we're terrible at that.