We need to talk about corners

Meller

We concede goals when we have corners, that's how bad we are.

Because our coaching is Championship level. We are overly reliant on the talent of individuals to get us through games.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Drop De Gea Henderson and play Henderson De Gea Grant.

Based Adnan

Martial defending the near post every single game is baffling. Cavani should be there.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Can't mark, can't track, no one on the posts, none of our goalkeepers tend to come off their line to claim the ball.

Our tactic seems to be - Maguire and Pogba are big, so let's hope the ball is delivered close to them.

arnie_ni

Is that virtually 3 identical goals now? Southampton x2 and now today.

We can't defend the near post. Stock mct or maguire there

Foxbatt

I have been saying this from last season and every Tom Dick and Harry has had a go at me.
It's utterly idiotic by the coaching staff.
I am absolutely convinced that they don't have any brains. Just because you pass a UEFA coaching exam doesn't mean you have much intelligence.
Last game against Southampton we concede the same goal. DeGea. Now today we concede almost the same, near post flick. Henderson.

It's got nothing to do with DeGea. It's all to do with the coaching. We only follow the fashion of top coaches. We don't do our own thing.

The United

We do need another CB or DM that is not afraid to put their heads on the line for set pieces. Harry is good at it but we need at least one more.

Not Jones though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The thing I find absolutely mind boggling is that we seem to consistently sign players who are fantastic corner takers only for them to deteriorate into absolute shit in no time whatsoever.

Ashley Young
Juan Mata
Daley Blind
Alexis Sanchez
Bruno Fernandes
Alex Telles

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Zonal Marking, load of bollocks, thats the issue
This. Clueless coaching but we have class players (until they get injured) to bail out our poor and poorly-coached defence.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The thing I find absolutely mind boggling is that we seem to consistently sign players who are fantastic corner takers only for them to deteriorate into absolute shit in no time whatsoever.

Ashley Young
Juan Mata
Daley Blind
Alexis Sanchez
Bruno Fernandes
Alex Telles
It's weird. I suspect it's because we don't have any real set piece instructions though. It's probably something like "whip it in close to the spot" and that's about it. No instructions for the people supposed to get on the end of it. Look at how static we are, it's super easy to mark us.

The goal West Ham scored today wasn't exactly complicated. Instruct the taker to deliver it close to the near post, then instruct a few players to come running into that area and at least one to run to the back post because the ball might end up there. Simple stuff, but just the fact people are running into the box and moving around means it's way more difficult to defend.
We didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory with our defending though.

Anybody's Guess

I think this one firmly goes under the category of let's wait and hope things work out by themselves.

Foxbatt

This. Clueless coaching but we have class players (until they get injured) to bail out our poor and poorly-coached defence.
It is the same with this playing out of defence stupidity. No matter what DegGea has to either pass to Maguire or Lindelof. They do not seem to understand the situation of why it is being played like that by SOME teams. What is the point in DeGea passing to Maguire who passes it to Lindelof who passes it back to Maguire who kick it long and gives the ball to the opposition?
We do not have the kind of players who can do that. It is better to get it as early as possible to our forwards rather than faffing around the back and give possession to the opposition just outside our box.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It is the same with this playing out of defence stupidity. No matter what DegGea has to either pass to Maguire or Lindelof. They do not seem to understand the situation of why it is being played like that by SOME teams. What is the point in DeGea passing to Maguire who passes it to Lindelof who passes it back to Maguire who kick it long and gives the ball to the opposition?
We do not have the kind of players who can do that. It is better to get it as early as possible to our forwards rather than faffing around the back and give possession to the opposition just outside our box.
Indeed. Watching us play out of the back, see Maguire pressed and then he passes to Wan-Bissaka.

It's a recipe for disaster and it ends up with us losing the ball most of the time.

Gasolin

Indeed. Watching us play out of the back, see Maguire pressed and then he passes to Wan-Bissaka.

It's a recipe for disaster and it ends up with us losing the ball most of the time.
I could swear Maguire found Rashford, Pogba or Bruno...

lysglimt

Scout
Everyone can lose a flick at the near post - the problem yesterday was that Telles just let Soukop and let him have a free run at goal.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Is there a stat out there that shoes how many goals we've conceded from corners these past few years? Seems like we've conceded loads from them.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Martial defending the near post every single game is baffling. Cavani should be there.
This. Martial should have headed the ball vs West Ham and it doesn't look like he tried very hard. The other thing is DeGea doesn't come off his line much and teams are playing to that fact. Maybe Henderson will do better.

Le Red

Whenever people complain about it in here someone posts some statistic about corners almost never resulting in a goal only for us to concede from a corner the next match again.
This is issue is aggravated by the fact we never score from them.
Could please someone post an actual relevant stat for us where it shows how many we scored vs conceded under Ole?

Chief123

Because DDG can’t come off his line, we should give Henderson a go.
I honestly feel this is a major part of it. Teams are playing towards this weakness by crowding the keeper and also getting a run on headers due to our zonal marking.

What I find more baffling is our lack of ability to score from corners ourselves. We have arguably the most dangerous player in the league for a corner in Maguire and one of the best deliveries of a corner with Bruno and now Telles. But Maguire’s heading from corners seems to have gone to shit.

mancave bear

Yes, no doubt we have to do something with our defense againt corners.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I honestly feel this is a major part of it. Teams are playing towards this weakness by crowding the keeper and also getting a run on headers due to our zonal marking.

What I find more baffling is our lack of ability to score from corners ourselves. We have arguably the most dangerous player in the league for a corner in Maguire and one of the best deliveries of a corner with Bruno and now Telles. But Maguire’s heading from corners seems to have gone to shit.
That was sarcasm based on that regular criticism of DDG given that the thread was started with Henderson in goal having the same issues.

cyril C

Ashley Young
Juan Mata
Daley Blind
Alexis Sanchez
Bruno Fernandes
Alex Telles
Well, because LVG trust Blind + Rojo to defend corner/set piece. Still haunted by the Westham defeat.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Martial moving away from where the ball was going at the near post was completely baffling. Meant he only got that shit glance on it.

But yeah, this has been a problem for us for years and it’s tiresome.