We should complain regarding BBC coverage.

sillwuka

I didn't look away but I was in utter disbelief on how they continued to air the CPR scenes and then his wife being consoled.

One of the BBC producers should have made the call to cut to any alternate angles they may have had but with the same audio.

BigGiantHead

Making them cut to the studio would also be very stressful for the people in the studio. It's not a normal situation and to blame someone for the actions during the events would be worse than what they displayed in the feed.
It was really painful to watch the feed when they switched to the studio feed in Finnish TV.

I would turn to the positive things that happened. The danish players blocking the view and the people who performed the successful CPR!

Chabon

Was anyone else surprised there weren’t protocols in place with broadcasters for something like this? It’s happened often enough by now.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don’t think so. It was a very difficult situation for everyone, and the production team had to think on their feet and respond correctly in real time.

Sure, they made mistakes, but that’s all it was: a mistake. This wasn’t a cynical exploitation of tragedy, like you’d see from red top tabloid. I genuinely think it was just a case of ‘deer in the headlights’, and I imagine those responsible are probably feeling pretty bad about it.

What is very cynical, IMO, is the usual suspects exploiting this horrible situation by stoking another round of Beeb-bashing
I agree, and I'm not particularly a fan of the BBC. They should have cut to the studio, but they didn't. It was a mistake, a bad one, but a situation no one was prepared for. Perhaps now they will be. I have sympathy for the presenters who were visibly upset, particularly Alex Scott.

What is way, way worse, is how haterags like the Daily Mail are reporting it, showing the footage and zoomed in photos of the incident. Broadcasters responded in real time as it happened. The gutter press have the benefit of hindsight and time to plan their reporting, and they've still taken the distasteful route.

The fact is, the BBC are going to receive immeasurably more complaints than the Daily Mail in the next 48 hours, without a doubt.

SER19

The sense is that many broadcasters across Europe switched back to studio more quickly. It was an absurdly gratuitous thing to continue showing, immediately recognisable as a medical emergency. The fact that it was the tower of moral virtue, the bbc, is likely adding to criticism

If you feel strongly about it, boycott them for rest of tournament

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
They got it wrong. They know that. They'll have a policy now that insures they won't react the same way should something similar ever happen again.

Given I'm very confident of all of that, I don't really see what complaining could achieve.

Was anyone else surprised there weren’t protocols in place with broadcasters for something like this? It’s happened often enough by now.
there are protocols. There’s guidance that they shouldn’t broadcast people in distress.

the BBC got it wrong. But also they’ve not taken responsibility. They have blamed it on the broadcaster and that they have no control over the pictures. That’s true. But their mistake was to continue to show these images. Cut to studio, or put up a holding picture with audio on top. That’s what they should have done, and they should face up and say so.

They should say they made a mistake When faced with a completely unexpected scenario they got it wrong and weren’t quick enough to react - rather they lay the blame elsewhere. Most people would except that.

RedDevilRoshi

I didn't look away but I was in utter disbelief on how they continued to air the CPR scenes and then his wife being consoled.

One of the BBC producers should have made the call to cut to any alternate angles they may have had but with the same audio.
I turned the tv off the moment they showed Eriksen being given CPR. Just found it way too distressing to watch.

I didn’t see them showing his wife being consoled but my mate told me about it. The BBC showing that whilst she watched on in complete horror, very scared, deeply upset and massively worried at seeing her husband like that is just completely disrespectful and wrong on all levels.

What I don’t understand is they can quickly within a second cut away from showing a naked streaker or two running onto the pitch but can show someone completely scared and being consoled at the thought that she might possibly lose a loved one right in front of her is just absolutely disgusting.

TheReligion

Abusive
How long we going on harp on about this for? Do we want to see loads of people sacked and their heads on poles outside The Tower of London?

Yes it was a mess, yes they shouldn't have shown it and yes they could have cut back to the studio. Make a complaint about it and the regulating body will deal with it. If you aren't happy with that boycott the BBC.

How long we going on harp on about this for? Do we want to see loads of people sacked and their heads on poles outside The Tower of London?

Yes it was a mess, yes they shouldn't have shown it and yes they could have cut back to the studio. Make a complaint about it and the regulating body will deal with it. If you aren't happy with that boycott the BBC.
how Long should people go on about it? Is 6 hours too long?

has anyone said people should be sacked…

It’s almost as if we shouldn’t debate something on a forum…

If you aren’t happy with this - then boycott the Caf?

TheReligion

Abusive
how Long should people go on about it? Is 6 hours too long?

has anyone said people should be sacked…

It’s almost as if we shouldn’t debate something on a forum…

If you aren’t happy with this - then boycott the Caf?
Who said I'm not happy about it?

I'm simply asking what people want from the situation. Everyone knows it shouldn't have happened. What's left to discuss?

sillwuka

I turned the tv off the moment they showed Eriksen being given CPR. Just found it way too distressing to watch.

I didn’t see them showing his wife being consoled but my mate told me about it. The BBC showing that whilst she watched on in complete horror, very scared, deeply upset and massively worried at seeing her husband like that is just completely disrespectful and wrong on all levels.

What I don’t understand is they can quickly within a second cut away from showing a naked streaker or two running onto the pitch but can show someone completely scared and being consoled at the thought that she might possibly lose a loved one right in front of her is just absolutely disgusting.
I agree with you. I guess it's down to one producer who makes that judgment call and they made the wrong decision.

At the first sign of distress they could have cut the live feed and kept the audio if they felt that they wanted to portray live scenes without showing visuals. Now the BBC will get some backlash due to one person's overriding decision..

Who said I'm not happy about it?

I'm simply asking what people want from the situation. Everyone knows it shouldn't have happened. What's left to discuss?
you could say that about most threads/debates then.

there are however people who don’t see a problem in the coverage - and so that’s probably the reason this persists.

TheReligion

Abusive
so if you found the coverage offensive today - you have to boycott the BBC or what be a hypocrite?
I guess if you're that disgusted with the BBC over it then logic would suggest you wouldn't bother with their coverage again. Like if you get a fly in your soup at a restaurant.

Either that or you complain, accept someone messed up and move on with life.

What do you think?

I guess if you're that disgusted with the BBC over it then logic would suggest you wouldn't bother with their coverage again. Like if you get a fly in your soup at a restaurant.

Either that or you complain, accept someone messed up and move on with life.

What do you think?
I think you want the organisation to hold their hands up and say they got it wrong. Not blame the broadcaster. Everyone would accept that - it’s obviously an exceptional circumstance. No one expects perfect decisions. My personal issue is that they have currently taken no responsibility, where they could have cut the feed.

whether they apologise or not - I’ll still watch their coverage. It’s not quite the same as your restaurant analogy (not a criticism) - as yes there’s a fly my soup, and maybe I’d like to go elsewhere, but it’s the only restaurant within 50 miles, so where else can I go?

TheReligion

Abusive
I think you want the organisation to hold their hands up and say they got it wrong. Not blame the broadcaster. Everyone would accept that - it’s obviously an exceptional circumstance. No one expects perfect decisions. My personal issue is that they have currently taken no responsibility, where they could have cut the feed.

whether they apologise or not - I’ll still watch their coverage. It’s not quite the same as your restaurant analogy (not a criticism) - as yes there’s a fly my soup, and maybe I’d like to go elsewhere, but it’s the only restaurant within 50 miles, so where else can I go?
I agree they should apologise for not cutting sooner. The Danish production team are a disgrace for having filmed it but the BBC could have chose not to show it quite easily.

shaky

I agree they should apologise for not cutting sooner. The Danish production team are a disgrace for having filmed it but the BBC could have chose not to show it quite easily.
I trust you'll be boycotting any football coverage provided by the Danish production team from now on?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It’s funny that you agree with both the fundamental issue of what went wrong, and the action they should take, yet somehow are highly critical of people who are “repeatedly moaning about it”.

The point of a complaint is not to get anyone sacked or boycott the channel. It also isn’t because people are not cognisant of how challenging the situation was and understand mistakes happen. It’s not about me and my sensitive feelings, as one ignorant poster said.

It’s to make sure it doesn’t happen again. It’s to ensure those who are responsible for these decisions are adequately trained to understand what is and isn’t acceptable. And it’s to ensure the channel takes appropriate responsibility and apologises for it. I also think it would help ensure that a protocol is in place for these situations (although one hopes they continue to be exceptionally rare).

I actually think the point someone raised about it being unfair on the studio crew just to cut back to them would have been unfair on them - but having said that, if they had done it sooner and no one watching had seen the extent of the issue (CPR, defibrillator, etc.) then it would have been significantly less stressful for the studio crew who themselves could have been spared viewing it. Maybe, maybe not. But a thought.

Whether it was an innocent mistake (which I think it was) or not, doesn’t mean one shouldn’t make a complaint. It’s not about getting someone in trouble, it’s about making sure it doesn’t happen again.

RoadTrip

I agree with you. I guess it's down to one producer who makes that judgment call and they made the wrong decision.

At the first sign of distress they could have cut the live feed and kept the audio if they felt that they wanted to portray live scenes without showing visuals. Now the BBC will get some backlash due to one person's overriding decision..
The point is the BBC should put some kind of protocol in place. Yeah the producer made a bad call and yes the BBC will rightly receive some backlash (the company responsible will always receive the backlash, that’s just common) but the whole point is to learn from it and have a plan in place. It’s not just for football. There may be other events or scenarios where one might have to cut away from what’s happening and they should have some kind of protocol in place.

RoadTrip

They got it wrong. They know that. They'll have a policy now that insures they won't react the same way should something similar ever happen again.

Given I'm very confident of all of that, I don't really see what complaining could achieve.
And I think that’s fair. Ultimately the point of the complaint is indeed to ensure they have a protocol in place. And perhaps hold their hands up and apologise. But mainly the former. So if you believe that’ll happen anyway then it’s fair enough to not complain.

RoadTrip

People are keen to complain about non important things in the Uk. Evidence : This ridiculous thread.

Also, the whole country is told it’s closeted, all the while it’s actually pretty loose and liberal when it’s not told to be offended.
It’s not important, in your view. On the other hand I think it is important. The irony of moaning about people in the UK being keen to complain, yet you coming into this thread to complain about it ...

RoadTrip

And to everyone commenting about the tabloids monetising this - yes it’s absolutely despicable. Sadly though I think I have become so used to their unethical behaviour it doesn’t surprise me. Not to say it’s right though of course. I guess I just hold the BBC to a higher standard because I expect better.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Anyone that has a problem with the BBC live coverage (that wasn’t cool)… check out The Daily Mail, Express, The Sun right now.

Monetising the incident.
Sure, they made mistakes, but that’s all it was: a mistake. This wasn’t a cynical exploitation of tragedy, like you’d see from red top tabloid. I genuinely think it was just a case of ‘deer in the headlights’, and I imagine those responsible are probably feeling pretty bad about it.
What is way, way worse, is how haterags like the Daily Mail are reporting it, showing the footage and zoomed in photos of the incident. Broadcasters responded in real time as it happened. The gutter press have the benefit of hindsight ... The fact is, the BBC are going to receive immeasurably more complaints than the Daily Mail in the next 48 hours, without a doubt.
The Daily Mail is currently running this headline "

'Cut to the studio FFS!': BBC pundit Ian Wright slams channel's coverage after continuing to show footage of Christian Eriksen receiving CPR... before broadcaster later apologises after string of complaints"

And in the very first line of the story "

They have a link to their story which has close up stills of Eriksen on the floor, in the stretcher and his partner in floods of tears. The BBC certainly got it wrong, but as others have said it was a mistake rather than a cycnical decision to monetise the incident, the BBC bashing from the tabloids, is a political decision and one they carry out while exploiting the very thing they're complaining about, but because the British public all feel as though they own a bit of the BBC (and we all do in a way) @OnlyTwoDaSilvas is absolutely right in the quote above, the BBC will receive far more complaints than any tabloid and the take away for the British public on this won't be a large part of our medi industry is a politically driven cesspit, but the BBC fecked up again and I shouldn't have to pay a license fee.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I imagine this will break records for complaints
Hope so.
I have complained to the BBC a number of times. This was mainly to do with the absolutely terrible standard of commentators. They have replaced really top class commentators and summarises like:
Mike Ingham
Alan Green
Jimmy Armfield
Graham Taylor
with imbecieles like:
Robbie Savage
Jermaine Jenus
And I am not a big fan of Mika Richards.

As with everything else, the BBC is dumbing down football.
Trouble is, Talksport is pretty poor as well.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Now I am not one to complain about coverage (actually, have never raised a complaint).

But I truly believe that people should be complaining about this. Hence just thought a specific thread for this was important - at least to me. Not sure if in the right section though.

Ignoring the criminal person in charge I. Denmark for UEFA for the overall coverage, I know BBC don’t control the actual camera footage at the game, but they DO control what they air i.e they could have cut away from that feed to the studio earlier.

I cut some slack for some of the initial footage when it was clear it was serious but not clear how serious (and that’s a fine judgment to make, so should give some benefit of doubt). But we are talking minutes. We are talking broadcasting CPR and use of a defibrillator. We are talking zooming in to his wife/GF.

Like I said I know they weren’t in charge of those shots. But they damn well could and should have stopped that feed long before giving the feed the chance to show it. It’s appalling. Like, we’ve seen how quickly they pan way from pitch invaders for example.
I thought the coverage zoomed out from Erikson as soon as the severity of it was clear - but it became a news story so no immediate need for BBC to pull away: under your scheme, we wouldn't have known anything about the terrorist attack at the Munich Olympics

RooneyLegend

Jesus Christ get a grip,

This wasn’t a planned event, it must of been a distressing event for everyone there and pure shock, you could have easily just switched channel, it’s not always about people like you and your sensitive feelings
This, people complain about everything and anything these days.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If we should be complaining about anything it’s Jenas.

ROFLUTION

Letting the game go on was an even bigger disgrace. UEFA are even defending the decision now afterwards calling it the players' choice.

They gave Denmark two insane choices: play now or play tomorrow at 12. How is any of those scenarios feasonable options when you just witnessed a close friend close to dying. Like you'd be able to sleep that night or gather your thoughts. It takes some serious cnuts to also defend the decision in this way afterwards. Mæhle who (didnt) defend the finnish goal was clearly somewhere else. Kjær subbed himself out as he couldnt cope with it all. Utter disgrace from UEFA - they really should reveice numerous complaints. Inhuman.

francobaresi

Now I am not one to complain about coverage (actually, have never raised a complaint).

But I truly believe that people should be complaining about this. Hence just thought a specific thread for this was important - at least to me. Not sure if in the right section though.

Ignoring the criminal person in charge I. Denmark for UEFA for the overall coverage, I know BBC don’t control the actual camera footage at the game, but they DO control what they air i.e they could have cut away from that feed to the studio earlier.

I cut some slack for some of the initial footage when it was clear it was serious but not clear how serious (and that’s a fine judgment to make, so should give some benefit of doubt). But we are talking minutes. We are talking broadcasting CPR and use of a defibrillator. We are talking zooming in to his wife/GF.

Like I said I know they weren’t in charge of those shots. But they damn well could and should have stopped that feed long before giving the feed the chance to show it. It’s appalling. Like, we’ve seen how quickly they pan way from pitch invaders for example.
But you continued watching presumably

FreddieTheReddie

Letting the game go on was an even bigger disgrace. UEFA are even defending the decision now afterwards calling it the players' choice.

They gave Denmark two insane choices: play now or play tomorrow at 12. How is any of those scenarios feasonable options when you just witnessed a close friend close to dying. Like you'd be able to sleep that night or gather your thoughts. It takes some serious cnuts to also defend the decision in this way afterwards. Mæhle who (didnt) defend the finnish goal was clearly somewhere else. Kjær subbed himself out as he couldnt cope with it all. Utter disgrace from UEFA - they really should reveice numerous complaints. Inhuman.
Yes, both are insane choices but Sunday was less insane. At least they would have had a night to calm down. Why did they choose to play yesterday then? That was even worse if they were really so shocked, no doubt they were.
Looking at the calendar, I think 24th June could have been a good option, as the first round of 16 game is on 27th for group B. I don’t know why it wasn’t an option, maybe they had reasons we don’t know about. Organising a tourament must be very complicated and there are many factors we don’t know.

Neymar

Not a peasant
Supports
Neymar & Messi
It's a big yikes from me tbh