g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

We will never win the league with De Gea in goal | Prophecy fulfilled

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I've been saying this for a while. If we cash in now we should be able to get 20m+ for him. We can sign Buffon and then use the rest of the money to bring in a new left winger. I was watching the Spain vs Iran game yesterday and Ramin looked good. Maybe he'll be a good acquisition.
Spot on, left wing has been a problem position for us for years now. Buffon's a bit old for my liking, we should go for someone a bit younger like Cech/Casillas.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Spot on, left wing has been a problem position for us for years now. Buffon's a bit old for my liking, we should go for someone a bit younger like Cech/Casillas.
Perhaps. But I think we need to the experience.

Alfie092

We should be able to get £40m for De Gea, we can use that money to buy Butland who would only cost around £30m. The £10m profit made can then be used to pay the wages for Jack Wilshere.

Javi

People are being too harsh with OP. He put together a coherent case in order to encourage debate, nothing wrong with that. Where he's missing out imo is on the analysis that the defence is weak because (at least indirectly) de Gea is OP*. While it's certainely plausible that an analysis could fail at this point it's just highly unlikely for a professional club with (hopefully) varied opinions and in-depth analysis of every part of the game.

Selling de Gea to get other players is a viable option too. The problem is that GK's don't normally bring a lot of revenue to begin with, so even an utilitarianist might come to the conclusion that it's fairly unlikely to prove it's worth.

*gamers will know the difference.

fallengt

Spain never will with De Gea though. He's very shit at stopping penalty kicks, in knockout stage oppo just need to play 10-0-1 vs Spain in 120 minutes

meamth

Spain never will with De Gea though. He's very shit at stopping penalty kicks, in knockout stage oppo just need to play 10-0-1 vs Spain in 120 minutes
The most sensible post in this thread. Yeah, you could be right.

arthurka

If we act now we will only have to pay Real 20m and DDG to get Navas.. The time is now Ed .

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Buffon 31%
31 saved out of 101

De Gea 25%
11 out of 43

Lloris 15%
11 out of 73

Neuer 34%
18 out of 52

Courtois 16%
5 out of 31

Navas 33%
14 out of 42.

Source: https://www.transfermarkt.com/

Edit:Looks like they dont include penalty shootouts. So without that it's not really a complete picture.

Hojoon

Turns 28 soon, that's almost 30. He'll barely be able to walk soon.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
For those who don't understand the context:

Someone needs to say it.

I'm not scapegoating Lukaku after our woeful performance against Tottenham as the whole team was atrocious but Lukaku simply isn't good enough.

Would you ever see Lukaku up front for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern or even PSG now.....no you wouldn't. He isn't a good enough footballer to play for those teams. Physicality with limited footballing ability can only take you so far in football and Everton was about his level. He never performs against the big teams and isn't especially good against the rest of the league at the moment. I know having a big physical striker up front is Mourinho's style but if he wants to do that then at least find someone who can control the ball and link up play reasonably well.

I can't imagine how much better we would be with a more technically gifted striker. If Lukaku is to stay then he really shouldn't be playing in the big games unless there's a drastic improvement in his play.

No way can I see us winning the league or the Champions League with him playing up front every game.

Carolina Red

Staff
This is the 1st time I have seen this thread. And the last.
What a pile of utter drivel by the OP!
Didn't realize this was an actual thread which was created on the Caf
I cringed when I started reading the original post. Couldn't finish it!
Never read the OP because the title didn't deserve it.
:lol: There’s one born every minute, folks.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This could be a good strategy for an opponent of Spain in the knockout stages.
If England were to face Spain, they wouldn't do this. They would instead play to Spain's strengths and then lose in normal time.

MUFC OK

Aside from the fact that we have, when he was about 22, we may not do so again but that says more for the quality of the rest of our team, he's the only part that is definitely up to scratch, room for improvement in all other areas.

Carolina Red

Staff
Aside from the fact that we have, when he was about 22, we may not do so again but that says more for the quality of the rest of our team, he's the only part that is definitely up to scratch, room for improvement in all other areas.
Umm, I got that covered...
He's too good and it causes a mental block in the players around him causing them to think that we are always safe in defense and that nothing bad can happen from going whole segments of the match without attacking