We will never win the league with Lukaku up front

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Someone needs to say it.

I'm not scapegoating Lukaku after our woeful performance against Tottenham as the whole team was atrocious but Lukaku simply isn't good enough.

Would you ever see Lukaku up front for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern or even PSG now.....no you wouldn't. He isn't a good enough footballer to play for those teams. Physicality with limited footballing ability can only take you so far in football and Everton was about his level. He never performs against the big teams and isn't especially good against the rest of the league at the moment. I know having a big physical striker up front is Mourinho's style but if he wants to do that then at least find someone who can control the ball and link up play reasonably well.

I can't imagine how much better we would be with a more technically gifted striker. If Lukaku is to stay then he really shouldn't be playing in the big games unless there's a drastic improvement in his play.

No way can I see us winning the league or the Champions League with him playing up front every game.

SuperiorXI

Someone needs to say it.

I'm not scapegoating Lukaku after our woeful performance against Tottenham as the whole team was atrocious but Lukaku simply isn't good enough.

Would you ever see Lukaku up front for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern or even PSG now.....no you wouldn't. He isn't a good enough footballer to play for those teams. Physicality with limited footballing ability can only take you so far in football and Everton was about his level. He never performs against the big teams and isn't especially good against the rest of the league at the moment. I know having a big physical striker up front is Mourinho's style but if he wants to do that then at least find someone who can control the ball and link up play reasonably well.

I can't imagine how much better we would be with a more technically gifted striker. If Lukaku is to stay then he really shouldn't be playing in the big games unless there's a drastic improvement in his play.

No way can I see us winning the league or the Champions League with him playing up front every game.
"We will never win the league with Lukaku up front."

OK.

Ainu

Someone needs to say it.

Pretty much the same probably, if nothing else changes.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think Lukaku is the least of our problems. He's been involved in 24 goals this season. I mean, what more could you want?

Of course, there is room for improvement, but I think that will come. I think he'll get better.

Guapa

Could not agree more with op.
Glad someone has finally come out and said it.

Hoof the ball

I think Lukaku is the least of our problems. He's been involved in 24 goals this season. I mean, what more could you want?

Of course, there is room for improvement, but I think that will come. I think he'll get better.
"Being involved" stat is kind of overrated. I mean, since he's the highest position on the pitch, by default he's going to be involved in a lot of goals.

Paxi

"Being involved" stat is kind of overrated. I mean, since he's the highest position on the pitch, by default he's going to be involved in a lot of goals.
He has scored 18 and assisted 6. Sorry I meant directly involved.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Lukaku could play for Real Madrid now. He doesn't fit Barcelona's holy football and Bayern and PSG currently have better strikers but he would not be out of place at either club.

Bwuk

Agreed. He doesnt impose himself enough, and doesn’t have that ability to create something out of nothing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm not scapegoating Lukaku here but I will post so much shit about Lukaku :lol:

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I think he could play in a title winning team.

He just isn't the guy who'll lift us into being that title winning team.

I said in the summer he'll score a lot of goals for us, but he won't elevate is onto a higher level - which is what you're really looking for when spending that amount on a marquee striker. Not his fault, it's Mourinho's choice.

Minimalist

I understand that this is a popular feeling right now on the forum.

But seriously, we have so much more going wrong than Lukaku. Even if he was legit mid-table level, we should be playing better than this in the final third.

I'm genuinely convinced Ronaldo/Messi would look bang average playing this way.

Judas

Open to offers
He's been alright lately, I don't think he's the best we could do, but he's shown improvement. He wasn't the issue today, and this isn't the moment to be calling him out at all.

littlepeasoup

Bit reactionary if you ask me. I actually think Rom's been decent recently, especially in bringing other players into the game. He's getting assists which is positive, wish he had a few more goals under his belt though.

Trizy

I said this a few times. Just look at the difference between Kane when he was isolated vs Lukaku when he was isolated. One is like playing with 10 men and the other brings the forwards into play.

Son Of Sam

This has nothing to do with Lukaku. How many chances did we create for him tonight? The problem is in that midfield. Jose dropped a fat ball and i rarely criticise him.

Why did he abandon the 3 man midfield he’s been deploying in the big games that allows Pogba to roam forward without leaning gaping holes behind? Matic isn’t mobile enough to cover grounds like Kante. Herrera should be playing as the 3rd midfielder....

We got swamped & bullied by Spurs because of Jose’s lack of tactical nous. We were doing pretty well with a 3 Man midfield, Jose should have sacrificed one of Martial/Lingard for stability in the centre of the park. I hope Jose learns from this. If we play like this against top European sides, it could be grotesque....

Hoof the ball

I'll ask the question that has long been the one posed at Lukaku over the years.

Is his statistic of underperforming or being underproductive against the top six teams over the years any better or worse since joining United, statistically?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We'll win the title next year so shut up .

JohnnyKills

Someone needs to say it.

Completely agree. Think he'll be a stop gap until Rashford is ready

James Peril

Lukaku could play for Real Madrid now. He doesn't fit Barcelona's holy football and Bayern and PSG currently have better strikers but he would not be out of place at either club.
Real Madrid would never buy Lukaku in the first place, he isn't even good enough for their reserves.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Lukaku needs to work on his game. When we bought him, some guys purred at the guys physique. But he plays without passion or strenghth on the pitch sometimes. It's up to him to want to improve his general ability to become more rounded. It's important that the forwards hold the ball because tonight nothing was sticking. If it sticks we have a chance to release the pressure and to create but time and time again it was predictable

Ban

Brave statement. Luckily someone has said it. It's wrong but finally someone has said it.

Noir

He's been alright lately, I don't think he's the best we could do, but he's shown improvement. He wasn't the issue today, and this isn't the moment to be calling him out at all.
Yes he was, he was basically a tree today.

Paxi

I don't think Lukaku is our problem but if Rashford ever starts firing I'm sure he'll displace Lukaku. I see Rashford as a number 9 long term.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What a load of shite. Thankfully I think this thread will be bumped in the not too distant future with information to the contrary...

El Zoido

It’s not Lukaku’s fault, he’ll score goals if you supply him. We lost because we again played a midfield 2, one of which is Pogba who is more of a #10. Pogba needs to be in the final third, not getting overrun by Spurs while failing to defend. We need Herrera and Matic in the centre, Pogba attacking mid, Lukaku ahead with Martial and Sanchez either side. We also need better wing backs, not two wingers pretending to be defenders.