g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

We will never win the league with Lukaku up front

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Do you think hes too big and it slows him up just a bit, but enough to be caught?
No. When he gets going (down the sides/channels), he has pace but doesn't use it without the ball.... drag a CH out of position, run across the line, drop so between opponents Def and Mid, roll a defender, get flick one at near post from corners, etc.

All the things a decent CH does.

20 goals a season can't be enough when the rest of his game impacts on the other players, especially the attacking players around him.

el3mel

We could have Ronaldo up there tonight and would win 1-0 if we were lucky.
He's one of the biggest reasons we're struggling to create. I feel for his teammates, almost impossible to create anything for a striker with such rubbish movement and crap close control in tight situations. He needs tap ins to score and no team will be able to create tap ins the whole game.

SuperiorXI

He's one of the biggest reasons we're struggling to create. I feel for his teammates, almost impossible to create anything for a striker with such rubbish movement and crap close control in tight situations. He needs tap ins to score and no team will be able to create tap ins the whole game.
I don't know.

I think judge him in a team that operates and then we will see. We are jumping the gun to blame Lukaku, there are other problems to address first. Look at Lukaku in the World Cup, he was colossal. Not just his goal scoring, but his build-up play as well.

el3mel

I don't know.

I think judge him in a team that operates and then we will see. We are jumping the gun to blame Lukaku, there are other problems to address first. Look at Lukaku in the World Cup, he was colossal. Not just his goal scoring, but his build-up play as well.
I didn't see anything different at World Cup than what I'm saying. Scoring against Tunisia and Panama, but got no chances to score in any big game despite having Hazard and KDB with him.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
When he works hard, his sheer persistence eventually will get him a goal. But out of form, and when he’s not on the score sheet he is absolutely useless and ruins link up plays from his poor touches. I feel embarrassed for him when he attempts to dribble (wtf is up wid dhose stopovers??), if it weren’t for his build he wouldn’t even make it as a championship footballer. You need to put it on a plate for him to finish.

He certainly won’t age well either, think Rooney but worse. If a top level striker becomes available we should sell him back to Everton ASAP.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
There's a chance we could win it with Lukaku if wasn't an only striker playing every game, doing the same things.

He should be just an option, just like Louie Saha was but that's a very bad comparison, I know. :lol:

wolvored

No. When he gets going (down the sides/channels), he has pace but doesn't use it without the ball.... drag a CH out of position, run across the line, drop so between opponents Def and Mid, roll a defender, get flick one at near post from corners, etc.

All the things a decent CH does.

20 goals a season can't be enough when the rest of his game impacts on the other players, especially the attacking players around him.
If you're talking 20 premier goals, dont think that will happen. Last season he had 2 good spells and got about 16

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I think we either need more traditional wingers to supply Lukaku, or a more dynamic centre forward so we can interchange the front three. What we have right now is a mix of chalk and cheese.

His record is too good to suggest he's a crap striker but it's true he may not be the striker we need.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How are you going to scapegoat Lukaku? There's a thousand other fecking problems above him for a start.
Lukaku apologists have been making this exact point since post #4 and #8 in this thread which was nine months ago. It's time to call a spade a spade. He's fecking useless and one of our major problems.

Mr PG

Klopp benched sturridge and the team thrived. United have to take a brave decision especially now when lukaku is struggling

Nr.7

I really like Lukaku, but he’s at a club way above his level.
He is just not good enough to be a leading Manchester United centre-foward.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

StretfordEnd95

I think, like Harry Kane, Lukaku needs a proper holiday. Playing and starting next to every match regardless of form can't be doing his confidence any good.

Also, he's not the worst problem. The worst problem United has is accepting that the likes of Jones, Smalling, Fellaini, Lingard, Young, Mata are all good enough to win the league.

SuperiorXI

Lukaku apologists have been making this exact point since post #4 and #8 in this thread which was nine months ago. It's time to call a spade a spade. He's fecking useless and one of our major problems.
There are a bunch of players that are not performing. If we're calling spades spades, we shouldn't be bias to one single player. I disagree that he is useless. How can the guy that scores most of our goals be useless?

Siorac

I said this before, I think, and it's not revolutionary insight anyway but here goes:

When Lukaku is in form, he is a good striker who can be absolutely lethal in the box.

When he's off his game, he looks like a League Two player. Been a while since I've last seen a player with such a gaping chasm between his best and his worst form. His 'bottom level' is truly diabolical. His top level should be messiesque to compensate for that, really...

salahalala

Supports
Liverpool
Lukaku is sometimes good, sometimes bad. His movement, touch, passing is so bad on most days imo. Daylight robbery from Everton to get £75+15m for him. He’ll score 25 goals a season in all comps but those goals will be when you need them least and will go lacking when you need them most. Dislike the term ‘clutch’ but to win trophies you need a ‘clutch’ striker and he’s the complete opposite of that

Irrational.

It's incredible how poor he is on and off the ball. He literally offers nothing: no hold-up play or aerial ability like a Drogba, no aggression like a Costa, no movement like a Hernandez, no swagger, presence or athleticism like a Zlatan; for the amount of chances he gets his finishing is pretty poor as well. And don't get me started on his close control or dribbling. Has he ever scored a goal from outside the box? When was the last time he converted a half-chance, or created something out of nothing? He simply does not have the capability to lead the line for a top club. For £75 million we have well and truly been taken to the cleaners.

Flexdegea

One of the biggest issues at the moment and is holding us back. He's just not good enough. Too many matches like tonight for example where you come away not sure what hes actually good at. Can't hold up play or even control it half the time. Big issue why we are struggling to win games. Would go a long way of we had a striker who could do the hold up and control the ball and actually create their own chances which he seems incapable of at moment.

A top top striker would go along way to masking some of the issues we have.

OldTrevil

There's a chance we could win it with Lukaku if wasn't an only striker playing every game, doing the same things.

He should be just an option, just like Louie Saha was but that's a very bad comparison, I know. :lol:
Saha was a brilliant footballer only stopped by being made of glass, absolutely a shambles comparison, beyond terrible :(

Heinzesight

Saha had the lot, could do everything...just a shame he was made of balsa wood.

Lukaku offers feck all and if Jose wants to stay in a job he must drop this sack of shit to the bench.

Red Star One

I like Rom but can’t help asking myself the question - would be be the main striker or any of our successful teams from the past? No way.

tomaldinho1

There are a bunch of players that are not performing. If we're calling spades spades, we shouldn't be bias to one single player. I disagree that he is useless. How can the guy that scores most of our goals be useless?
Because unfortunately for strikers the world over, especially when you play as a lone CF, you are integral to pretty much any attacking move.

Think of it as if you were one of their CBs today. You essentially just have a big guy to mark who isn't that much of a handful and is low on confidence. He's not aggressive, not rapid, not aerially dominant, not great technically and doesn't really drop off to create space. He just kind of ambles around at half pace and does that same head in hands thing after every move breaks down. He's about as dynamic as a potted plant.

He's not alone in his terrible form but I do think he takes away much more from our game than people realize.

Moriarty

I like Rom but can’t help asking myself the question - would be be the main striker or any of our successful teams from the past? No way.
Perhaps, but those teams did not rely on a single striker like teams do today. He would make a decent target man alongside a more nimble poacher but he would have to improve his close control a lot, as well as his heading. He seems a different player when he's in the Belgian side though.

slir32

All you have to do is ask yourself is Rom as good as RVP? Not even close. When a world class striker becomes available we need to buy him.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

He’s not Drogba or Costa (nor ever will be, in my opinion) and just doesn’t make enough goals for himself to ever lead a team to a league title. You need your other 2 ‘wide forwards’ to get at least 15-20 league goals if Rom is up front and we don’t seem to have those players (on current form/ability).

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I think we either need more traditional wingers to supply Lukaku, or a more dynamic centre forward so we can interchange the front three. What we have right now is a mix of chalk and cheese.

His record is too good to suggest he's a crap striker but it's true he may not be the striker we need.
Unless those wingers can cross the ball over defending cbs and directly onto the penalty spot for a static Lukaku to head towards goal, it'll make no difference.

I stand by this opinion; he never had to learn basic centre forward fundamentals at junior football level due to his size. He never makes near post runs, never spins in behind, he got by on being able to smash his way through smaller players.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would Lukaku start if Guardiola was Man. United manager. I say not.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Because unfortunately for strikers the world over, especially when you play as a lone CF, you are integral to pretty much any attacking move.

Think of it as if you were one of their CBs today. You essentially just have a big guy to mark who isn't that much of a handful and is low on confidence. He's not aggressive, not rapid, not aerially dominant, not great technically and doesn't really drop off to create space. He just kind of ambles around at half pace and does that same head in hands thing after every move breaks down. He's about as dynamic as a potted plant.

He's not alone in his terrible form but I do think he takes away much more from our game than people realize.
All of that.

But, Jose seems to like him and I worry he'll persist for too long

TsuWave

Saha was a cracking player and likely would have been a United legend if not for injuries. he’s one of the most complete strikers we have had in the sense that he was good at everything. dribbling, shooting, in the air, strong, could string passes together. Saha was a baller

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Saha was a cracking player and likely would have been a United legend if not for injuries. he’s one of the most complete strikers we have had in the sense that he was good at everything. dribbling, shooting, in the air, strong, could string passes together. Saha was a baller
...and despite his superb skills, he was still was just an option in SAF's title winning team. We were ridiculously strong in that time. Talent everywhere.