Wealth & Income Inequality

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Honestly, I don't know. I know though that Gates has been advocating on tax increase for the super-rich, despite that he has given around 30b dollars in taxes (I believe), which makes him by far the biggest taxpayer in the history of US.
Raising taxes is not the solution because is the worker who cannot escape ends up paying more

Cal?

CR7 fan
do you think it's okay for microsoft to contract a company that exploits children?
If KYE are doing anything illegal, it's up to the Chinese government to deal with them.

Cal?

CR7 fan
what's funny is that you think bill gates advanced the things he got from IBM when windows is really shit
It's not just Bill Gates, most technological advancements in the world in the past decades happened due to people trying to make money.

Silva

If KYE are doing anything illegal, it's up to the Chinese government to deal with them.
so, yes, you're okay with microsoft contracting a company that exploits children, what the feck is wrong with you, you're never going to be a billionare, you're just going to be left to die alone in an underfunded care home because the little shits you're bootlicking don't care about human dignity

Cal?

CR7 fan
ask your girl about universal healthcare
Ask the orange moron about getting rid of the already terrible healthcare in the USA.
If it's just about healthcare, it's mostly an American issue, most of the rest of the world have healthcare.

Moscow
Agent
Governing
America

Silva

It's not just Bill Gates, most technological advancements in the world in the past decades happened due to people trying to make money.
the user interface was made as a bit of fun R&D when IBM was rich
the internet was made by a bunch of scientists using army tech
people trying to get rich made the eggplant emoji

Cal?

CR7 fan
so, yes, you're okay with microsoft contracting a company that exploits children, what the feck is wrong with you, you're never going to be a billionare, you're just going to be left to die alone in an underfunded care home because the little shits you're bootlicking don't care about human dignity
I probably won't be in USD terms. But I certainly won't be living in any care home. :smirk:

Cal?

CR7 fan
the user interface was made as a bit of fun R&D when IBM was rich
the internet was made by a bunch of scientists using army tech
people trying to get rich made the eggplant emoji
Battery technology has made incredible advances in the past decade or so due to electric cars and mobile phones
Medicine is ever improving because big pharma is trying to make the next miracle drug
The list is endless

Revan

Assumptionman
Raising taxes is not the solution because is the worker who cannot escape ends up paying more
I believe in a progressive raise of taxes, when the more you own, the more (in percentage) you pay on taxes, to the point that after some threshold it becomes totally useless trying to own more.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Many of the biggest advances in human history are contributed by billionaires. I'm not saying love them for being rich, but many of them have made the world a better place and became rich as a result.

But we clearly disagree with almost everything anyway, so this is no different.
Don't think this is true at all. Most important inventions were either communal/public endeavors or from the minds of rare eccentric genius.

Internet came from DARPANET which was a government and University joint venture - without DARPANET all the internet billionaires would have been impossible.
Most modern genetics and bio-tech would not be possible with the PCR discovered/invented by Kary Mullis - an eccentric scientist who at the time was just a wage earner at a company that ended up owning the patent.
Most important formulas from physics and math that lead to new technologies don't come from the wealth but again the random sprouting of eccentric genius that arises best with a dedicated infrastructure of public education and public access.
Buckminster Fuller made a number of innovations and inventions (not all were fully monetized because Fuller perhaps naively actually believed in humans and not corporate structures)
Nikola Tesla was famous for his electric inventions and he dominated Edison on the innovation front although Edison was a better corrupt businessman.

In fact, I think you would find far more of humanity's most important minds and innovators nowhere near the billionaire class. For every rare billionaire like Bill Joy who actually produced important innovations for the human race and was lucky enough to profit from it you get a dirty dozen like Donald Trump, John Paulson (scumbag leech predator investor who innovates zilch), Stan Kroenke (married into the Wal-Mart fortune and parlayed unique connections into unique real estate access while depressing communities all over), Donald Sterling (another slum lord), Jeff Skilling (Enron) , Angelo Mozilo (genuine PoS scumbag) and many more who are not innovators but simply good at playing the low level animal cunning predatory game of manipulating arcane rules based capitalism really well.

The real innovators of humanity come from the salt of the earth and then benefitting from infrastructure in place that allows anyone and everyone access to resources needed for achievement no matter whether they are from rich or poor. They also almost never are the ones profiting because the skill set needed to produce actual innovation is quite different from the predatory skill set needed to accumulate the most materialist tickets(money). This list is not going to reveal the best minds of the human race that are actually advancing humanity. Its going to reveal a lot of shady, corrupt individuals who know how to manipulate both people and rule systems.

You know the Chinese saying 'rags to rags in three generations' yes?

Revan

Assumptionman
do you think it's okay for microsoft to contract a company that exploits children?
Do you own any piece of technology? Because if you do, then guess who built it. Some children in China.

You're paying money to those companies and contributing on them too. In that aspect, you're as much to be blamed as Microsoft.

And same as you who don't care that you're giving money to people who exploit children when you buy a phone or laptop, I guess that the likes of Microsoft or Apple don't. I guess they do (same as you) but turn a blind eye on it.

Silva

Battery technology has made incredible advances in the past decade or so due to electric cars and mobile phones
Medicine is ever improving because big pharma is trying to make the next miracle drug
The list is endless
imagine how much more advanced those would be if instead of the profits going to martin shkrelli they went into even more research

Cal?

CR7 fan
I believe in a progressive raise of taxes, when the more you own, the more (in percentage) you pay on taxes, to the point that after some threshold it becomes totally useless trying to own more.
So basically drive them out of the country?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Do you own any piece of technology? Because if you do, then guess who built it. Some children in China.

You're paying money to those companies and contributing on them too. In that aspect, you're as much to be blamed as Microsoft.

And same as you who don't care that you're giving money to people who exploit children when you buy a phone or laptop, I guess that the likes of Microsoft or Apple don't. I guess they do (same as you) but turn a blind eye on it.
That's what capitalism does. It dominates everything and makes people complicit in its crimes. You've made an argument against capitalism.

Silva

living in a society and thinking it should be better isn't hypocritical, these companies categorically know they use child slaves and continue to do so for profit

Cal?

CR7 fan
Don't think this is true at all. Most important inventions were either communal/public endeavors or from the minds of rare eccentric genius.

Internet came from DARPANET which was a government and University joint venture - without DARPANET all the internet billionaires would have been impossible.
Most modern genetics and bio-tech would not be possible with the PCR discovered/invented by Kary Mullis - an eccentric scientist who at the time was just a wage earner at a company that ended up owning the patent.
Most important formulas from physics and math that lead to new technologies don't come from the wealth but again the random sprouting of eccentric genius that arises best with a dedicated infrastructure of public education and public access.
Buckminster Fuller made a number of innovations and inventions (not all were fully monetized because Fuller perhaps naively actually believed in humans and not corporate structures)
Nikola Tesla was famous for his electric inventions and he dominated Edison on the innovation front although Edison was a better corrupt businessman.

In fact, I think you would find far more of humanity's most important minds and innovators nowhere near the billionaire class. For every rare billionaire like Bill Joy who actually produced important innovations for the human race and was lucky enough to profit from it you get a dirty dozen like Donald Trump, John Paulson (scumbag leech predator investor who innovates zilch), Stan Kroenke (married into the Wal-Mart fortune and parlayed unique connections into unique real estate access while depressing communities all over), Donald Sterling (another slum lord), Jeff Skilling (Enron) , Angelo Mozilo (genuine PoS scumbag) and many more who are not innovators but simply good at playing the low level animal cunning predatory game of manipulating arcane rules based capitalism really well.

The real innovators of humanity come from the salt of the earth and having an infrastructure in place that allows anyone access to achievement no matter whether they are from rich or poor. They also almost never are the ones profiting because the skill set needed to produce actual innovation is quite different from the predatory skill set needed to accumulate the most materialist tickets(money). This list is not going to reveal the best minds of the human race that are actually advancing humanity. Its going top reveal a lot of shady, corrupt individuals who know how to manipulate both people and rule systems.
I'm not talking about the miracle breakthrough, but the fact that companies (in their effort to make more profit), invest a lot into research and thus helped advance the world.

Revan

Assumptionman

The real innovators of humanity come from the salt of the earth and then benefitting from infrastructure in place that allows anyone and everyone access to resources needed for achievement no matter whether they are from rich or poor. They also almost never are the ones profiting because the skill set needed to produce actual innovation is quite different from the predatory skill set needed to accumulate the most materialist tickets(money). This list is not going to reveal the best minds of the human race that are actually advancing humanity. Its going top reveal a lot of shady, corrupt individuals who know how to manipulate both people and rule systems.
That's all fair, but isn't this thread focused mostly on tech people (originated in tech stock)? All of these billionaires are self-made billionaires though, and while they weren't geniuses in tech (though the likes of Gates or Brinn were really good) they kind of had a great vision which resulted in a massive wealth creation and thousands of people actually benefited from them by simply riding the same ship.

Cal?

CR7 fan
If every country had a proper tax system, where would they go?
Now you think the whole world will have the same tax system?
imagine how much more advanced those would be if instead of the profits going to martin shkrelli they went into even more research
Who gets to decide where that money goes? The government? :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
living in a society and thinking it should be better isn't hypocritical, these companies categorically know they use child slaves and continue to do so for profit
At the same time you know they use child labor and continue to use their products.

Hypocrisy at its finest

Revan

Assumptionman
That's what capitalism does. It dominates everything and makes people complicit in its crimes. You've made an argument against capitalism.
And this is exactly my point. Blame the system, not the individuals.

Of course, like you I would want a better system. And I think that a better system is possible considering that the system we have is pretty bad.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I'm not talking about the miracle breakthrough, but the fact that companies (in their effort to make more profit), invest a lot into research and thus helped advance the world.
As my post shows, I don't think reality supports your view. What actually advances humanity is public investment in infrastructure that allows the rare geniuses that randomly pop up from all over access to resources. This idea that we must allow selfish immortal entities of extreme wealth(corporations) and sleazy manipulators of the system (Enron to Paulson, et al) all this privileged access to resources at the expense of the public to benefit humanity is just a completely false myth that neo-liberals have adopted from the neo-classical Republicans.

BTW you need a better tagline.
I'd like to recommend the "The CR7 of Hillary Clinton Fans"

Cal?

CR7 fan
definitely not you cos you'd just keep it and laugh at people in poverty for not being at the right place at the right time
I wouldn't want to, but "not you" really isn't an answer.

Cal?

CR7 fan
As my post shows, I don't think reality supports your view. What actually advances humanity is public investment in infrastructure that allows the rare geniuses that randomly pop up from all over access to resources. This idea that we must allow selfish immortal entities of extreme wealth(corporations) and sleazy manipulators of the system (Enron to Paulson, et al) all this privileged access to resources at the expense of the public to benefit humanity is just a completely false myth that neo-liberals have adopted from the neo-classical Republicans.

BTW you need a better tagline.
I'd like to recommend the "The CR7 of Hillary Clinton Fans"
As I've pointed out, battery technology, medicine, etc have all improved immeasurably due to the drive to make profit.

Revan

Assumptionman
So you're advocating driving anyone who is any good at anything to leave, perfect plan.
Yeah, I am advocating that anyone who is getting wealth on a country but doesn't want to pay taxes on that country, should get his entire wealth confiscated and then get jailed. It is pretty crazy that for the average Joe like me and you, avoiding taxes is a crime and not only you get fined more than what you had to pay in taxes, but you can go to jail, but for ultra rich people it is fine to not pay billions in taxes that they own the state.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
That's all fair, but isn't this thread focused mostly on tech people (originated in tech stock)? All of these billionaires are self-made billionaires though, and while they weren't geniuses in tech (though the likes of Gates or Brinn were really good) they kind of had a great vision which resulted in a massive wealth creation and thousands of people actually benefited from them by simply riding the same ship.
Regional advantage was more important than any single billionaire's contributions and none of them could have built their fortune without the Department of Defense and a dozen top academic institutions doing the heavy lifting with DARPANET. You could literally delete any tech billionaire from history and there would absolutely have been others that filled the game.

The infrastructure was light years more important to any of those innovations than any individual person.

Silva

Regional advantage was more important than any single billionaire's contributions and none of them could have built their fortune without the Department of Defense and a dozen top academic institutions doing the heavy lifting with DARPANET. You could literally delete any tech billionaire from history and there would absolutely have been others that filled the game.

The infrastructure was light years more important to any of those innovations than any individual person.
These cnuts are a marketing and sales department, the techies are living in houseshares.