Weird feelings of football

P0GBA

No match going Manchester United fan has purchased a product from any of the clubs sponsors since purchasing a Vodafone Mobile Phone 15 years ago.
Despite not having any positive affiliations with any of the clubs sponsors, fans will have negative feelings towards rival sponsors products such as Standard Chartered, Nivea and Etihad and will only use them if no other options are available.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Re-watched some Euro 2004 highlights these and my findings are

- Every Croatian player has long wet hair with a lace around their head

- Helder Postiga, Maniche and Costinha only existed in Euro competitions

- Sven Goran Erikson looks like exact same now as he did in 2004

Irwin99

The Invincibles are the most overrated team ever. Obviously not true and I know they were a great team but I re-watched the 1-1 draw at Highbury in 2004 and I thought we were the better team and our midfield pretty much dominated theirs in the second half. Even Djemba-Djemba played well in that game and Vieira and Edu were fairly ordinary.

We were undefeated against them in the 3 times we played that season. The 0-0 'battle of Old Trafford; was a bore draw but we probably edged it (Giggs hit the post, RVN missed the peno) and as I said, in the 1-1 at Highbury, I felt we were the better team.

Invincibles, pffft ;)

gormless

The Invincibles are the most overrated team ever. Obviously not true and I know they were a great team but I re-watched the 1-1 draw at Highbury in 2004 and I thought we were the better team and our midfield pretty much dominated theirs in the second half. Even Djemba-Djemba played well in that game and Vieira and Edu were fairly ordinary.

We were undefeated against them in the 3 times we played that season. The 0-0 'battle of Old Trafford; was a bore draw but we probably edged it (Giggs hit the post, RVN missed the peno) and as I said, in the 1-1 at Highbury, I felt we were the better team.

Invincibles, pffft ;)
I agree. They drew a load of games, and I have a memory of a terrible Pires dive against Pompey or someone to save the unbeaten season. Mourinho's OG Chelsea, United 08, City under Pep, and this seasons Liverpool are all better in my opinion

Fingeredmouse

Invincibles, pffft ;)
I'm not even sure they were the best Wenger Arsenal team.

Hoof the ball

I agree. They drew a load of games, and I have a memory of a terrible Pires dive against Pompey or someone to save the unbeaten season. Mourinho's OG Chelsea, United 08, City under Pep, and this seasons Liverpool are all better in my opinion
They drew twelve games!!! Twelve!!! It's a brilliant achievement, regardless, but still, some context!

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I'm not even sure they were the best Wenger Arsenal team.
I personally rated the Arsenal of 2001/2002 above the their 2003/2004 invincibles team.

In 2001/2002 they scored in every league game, which I think is the only time that a team has done that during the Premier League era. It was amazing how their away record transformed from being so poor in 2000/2001 to so excellent (14 wins, 5 draws and 0 defeats) in 2001/2002.

Also that season they also had one of the best 'title charges' in the Premier League era, ending the season with 13 consecutive victories, and 18 wins and 3 draws from their last 21 matches. That run included away wins over each of the 3 other teams that finished in the top 4, Liverpool, Newcastle and of course Man Utd to secure the title at Old Trafford. The only title charge I can think of that compares to that was City's last season with 18 wins from their last 19 games.

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

I personally rated the Arsenal of 2001/2002 above the their 2003/2004 invincibles team.

In 2001/2002 they scored in every league game, which I think is the only time that a team has done that during the Premier League era. It was amazing how their away record transformed from being so poor in 2000/2001 to so excellent (14 wins, 5 draws and 0 defeats) in 2001/2002.

Also that season they also had one of the best 'title charges' in the Premier League era, ending the season with 13 consecutive victories, and 18 wins and 3 draws from their last 21 matches. That run included away wins over each of the 3 other teams that finished in the top 4, Liverpool, Newcastle and of course Man Utd to secure the title at Old Trafford. The only title charge I can think of that compares to that was City's last season with 18 wins from their last 19 games.
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
No match going Manchester United fan has purchased a product from any of the clubs sponsors since purchasing a Vodafone Mobile Phone 15 years ago.
Despite not having any positive affiliations with any of the clubs sponsors, fans will have negative feelings towards rival sponsors products such as Standard Chartered, Nivea and Etihad and will only use them if no other options are available.
Are we still sponsored by Uber? I'm sure there's a few who use that. It doesn't help that most of our sponsors aren't available in the uk

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!
Why, that's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen !

Their best side was 98/99. Overshadowed by our treble.
They only conceded 17 league goals that season, which I think was the fewest of any team in a major European league. From memory they went on an excellent run near the end of the season with something like 8 wins and 1 draw from 9 matches, before losing to Leeds at Elland Road to hand the advantage back to Utd.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

They only conceded 17 league goals that season, which I think was the fewest of any team in a major European league. From memory they went on an excellent run near the end of the season with something like 8 wins and 1 draw from 9 matches, before losing to Leeds at Elland Road to hand the advantage back to Utd.
Yep. Will never forget some kid at school branding Leeds as counts for stopping them!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

They were so good. It’s why the likes of Jose’s Chelsea side, Peps onehundredwhateverthefcuktheycallthem, The invincibles are always behind our Treble side. We beat a truly world class side in to second place.

Stacks

Victor Lindelof and Bruno Fernandes are 2 of the older/senior members of our squad despite them both only being 25 and us having 9 1st team players who are older than them. They are only a year older than Perreira and Martial

Last edited:

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Victor Lindelof and Bruno Fernandes are 2 of the older/senior members of our squad despite them both only being 25 and us having 9 1st team players who are older than them. They are only a year older than Perreira
Agree with Bruno. But Lindelof I tend to think of as (what's the redcafe preferred term...) yong and lerning.

Stacks

Sunderland, Newcastle and Middlesborough have never competed in the premier league at the same time.

Oldham Athletic have never played in the premier league.

Spain have only had a competitive football team during 2008-12. In actual fact world cup 1950 they came 4th overall, 1964 won the European Championship, 1984 European Championship Final (runners up),

Hoof the ball

Serie A declared a moratorium on long-haired Italian footballers when Maldini called it quits. This immediately led to the downfall of Serie A and Italian national football success.

diarm

Re-watched some Euro 2004 highlights these and my findings are

- Every Croatian player has long wet hair with a lace around their head

- Helder Postiga, Maniche and Costinha only existed in Euro competitions

- Sven Goran Erikson looks like exact same now as he did in 2004
In my head, the 3 Portugese players you've mentioned look like the Croatians you've described.

kidbob

Leeds have never played in the Premier League and somehow made their CL run as a championship team.

Robertd0803

Premiership Plus was actually a thing on Sky Sports and people used to pay to watch matches on a pay per view basis.

Agila Dathi

Invincibles, pffft ;)
Completely agree. Great team but not even the best Arsenal team in the early 2000's
12 draws in the league
1 loss in FA cup (semi finals vs Man Utd)
2 losses in League cup (semi finals vs Middlesbrough)
3 losses in CL (2 in group stages vs Inter Milan and Dynamo Kyiv, and one vs Chelsea in quarter-finals).

Sure, no defeat in the league but the "best team in PL history" should win more than one trophy imo.

UpWithRivers

Businessmen only buy football clubs to launder money. The amount of profit is nothing for 90 percent of clubs and even the top few i.e. United are making a pittance compared to the top companies in other fields. Why do it? Why are the Saudis buying Newcastle of all teams? Some say to promote their brand but thats nonsense because if they wanted that then they would buy a glamorous team in a glamorous town. Because they are fans? Ha! Not likely. So why? Makes absolutely no business sense except to launder money.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Businessmen only buy football clubs to launder money. The amount of profit is nothing for 90 percent of clubs and even the top few i.e. United are making a pittance compared to the top companies in other fields. Why do it? Why are the Saudis buying Newcastle of all teams? Some say to promote their brand but thats nonsense because if they wanted that then they would buy a glamorous team in a glamorous town. Because they are fans? Ha! Not likely. So why? Makes absolutely no business sense except to launder money.
Do the Saudi's need to launder money? I would argue that's its more about soft power and changing the perception of the regime, their investment in wwe and boxing are examples of this. Moreover they want to take on the Qatari influence over sport.

UpWithRivers

Do the Saudi's need to launder money? I would argue that's its more about soft power and changing the perception of the regime, their investment in wwe and boxing are examples of this. Moreover they want to take on the Qatari influence over sport.
Yes they do because if they want to buy out a company and it comes from a UK bank paid by chairman of X Football club it will be much more legit for taxes and trust than coming in from an Saudi oil torture center. Think about if lets say a sports shop sell out to an oil regime and how much grief they will get compared to being bought out by a British business. No questions asked.
soft power and changing the perception of the regime - then why Newcastle? They riot every chance they get. They have one of the worst records of violence at grounds. The city is not exactly glamorous. They have no history. From a business and soft power or any other criteria it makes 0 sense

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Neil Warnock has just taken over as manager of Middlesbrough, but it's such a perfect combination of clogger team and clogger manager I'm sure he's managed them at least twice already.

Warnock has also definitely managed West Brom and Bolton, regardless of what the records say.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Juventus will always be an old and experienced team no matter how many young players they field

Sevilla will always play good football and be one of the favourites to win the Europa League even if you can’t recognize a single one of their players.

Salah has scored at least 75 goals against Watford.

Kimpembe and Marquinhos are the same person and player

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Nobody ever gets a result when they play in their kit from next season early at the end of the current one.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Once Arsenal recover from a period of banter form, they suddenly go 20+ games unbeaten.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
When you watch Athletic Bilbao play is always filled with small, ridiculous talented players which you always wonder when Barcelona is gonna snatch them, but then you look at the La Liga table and theyre always in the bottom half even though they win every match you catch on tv by chance