Weird feelings of football

Adz_99

Alan Shearer has been a pundit on match of the day for 20 years but he only retired from football about 5 years ago. Therefore he must have analysed his own performances on motd.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Alan Shearer has been a pundit on match of the day for 20 years but he only retired from football about 5 years ago. Therefore he must have analysed his own performances on motd.
5 years ago was 2019 my guy, Shearer retired before HD

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I know football is technically "better" in every way these days.
But you couldn't beat those proper 4-4-2 days in the mid 90s, where you'd have pacy wingers who actually tried to cross it on their strong foot, and actually had 2 strikers to hit.
This is probably a topic for its own thread but it makes me very pessimistic for the direction football (and other sports) are going.

I realize I'm going to come off as a complete Luddite, but anyway... Optimization is great in theory, but in practice it turns the game into a predictable and robotic affair, and removes the spontaneity, improvisation, and variety that make it special.

The worst part is, I think we're only scratching the surface currently, and the overall consequences of this "data & analytics revolution" won't be seen for another generation, at which point most top-level players will have been trained in this manner their entire lives.

criticalanalysis

Always makes me chuckle when internet fans have a go at superfit premier league players' physiques.
To be fair I don't think any fan is comparing themselves with the players. They are probably making as 'informed' comments as they possible can having watched 100's of games on a player's fitness/physique compared to other footballers. I mean I get it, some people are definitely over the top but I don't think for example criticising Shaw, Rooney or Lukaku's physical condition is controversial.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
This is probably a topic for its own thread but it makes me very pessimistic for the direction football (and other sports) are going.

I realize I'm going to come off as a complete Luddite, but anyway... Optimization is great in theory, but in practice it turns the game into a predictable and robotic affair, and removes the spontaneity, improvisation, and variety that make it special.

The worst part is, I think we're only scratching the surface currently, and the overall consequences of this "data & analytics revolution" won't be seen for another generation, at which point most top-level players will have been trained in this manner their entire lives.
I'm not that pessimistic. What's predictable can be defended relatively easy, so there will always be a place for the unpredictable element. It's likely that over time it changes in which area and which way managers will allow their players to be creative, but creativity will always exist.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
It seems to me that in Penalty shootouts, the teams that were dominant and missing the most chances in regulation time most time end up losing in shootouts

Dominos

It seems to me that in Penalty shootouts, the teams that were dominant and missing the most chances in regulation time most time end up losing in shootouts
I get the same feeling. I thought Madrid would win their shootout vs City. And then when Conventry missed 2 chances in extra time and had their goal disallowed, it felt inevitable United would win the pens.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Crystal Palace are terrible for 90% of every season but have upticks in form just in time for each game against Utd, before going back to being terrible again.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Luton have valiantly battled all season long and picked up enough points that they deserve to be safe.

Burnley have shit the bed and get smashed every week and were relegated back in December.

2 points in it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Mikael Silvestre was only at Manchester United for 3 years, yet somehow managed to play 9 seasons during that time

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
City's inevitable procession to the title every year is partly because they ALWAYS have a couple of games in hand on the teams around them.

I'd go as far as to say the only reason Guardiola bothers with the FA Cup is to bank a few league games in hand for the run-in.

P0GBA

When a current player is invited to be a pundit on Sky Sports when his own team are playing they will inevitably lose by a minimum of three goals.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sander Berge plays for all three bottom PL teams plus the top 3 in the championship at the same time.