Weird things about football that are true but don't sound it

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
The only person person to ever score a goal in
a European Cup final,
a UEFA (EL) Cup final &
the former European Cup Winners Cup final was. . .

Danish former European footballer of the year Alan Simonsen. . . who, in 1982, joined Charlton Athletic from Barcelona.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Kaiserslautern won the 1997/98 Bundesliga.

The season before they were in the second division (Bundesliga 2)

Agila Dathi

Figo once got nutmegged by John O'Shea.

Last season was the first time West Ham finished with a positive goal difference in a top-flight season since 1985-86.

While at Leeds, Rio Ferdinand managed to strain a tendon in his knee by resting his leg for too long on a coffee table.

David Ginola's name is an anagram for Vagina Dildo.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Adebayor was caught offside 328 times in 242 matches.

Only Benteke and Ibra have an average that's 'better' than once a game.

Green_Red

Robbie Earnshaw is the only player to score a hat trick in the Premier League, all three divisions of the English Football league, the League cup, the F.A. cup and in an international match.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Buffon and Cassilas have faced each other something like 17 times, despite never being in the same league with each other.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Bayern fans didn't want Neuer because they had Thomas Kraft.
Bollocks. Estimating quality of keepers had nothing to do with it (even if a certain Frans Hoek thought Kraft had a lot of potential. But obviously that fella has no clue about judging keepers, he also thought van der Saar was good)

Bayern Ultras didn't want Neuer because he was member of a Schalke Ultra group ("Buerschenschaft") they aren't exactly friendly with (as in, run into them in a dark alley wearing Bayern colors and you're missing a few front teeth).
Most non-Ultra supporters never understood that, neither did any pundit.

Last edited:

Needham

Juventus celebrated the opening of their new stadium by hosting Notts County.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Last season was the first time West Ham finished with a positive goal difference in a top-flight season since 1985-86.

While at Leeds, Rio Ferdinand managed to strain a tendon in his knee by resting his leg for too long on a coffee table.

You win the thread.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Juventus celebrated the opening of their new stadium by hosting Notts County.
There was an obvious reason for that though:

The invitation was based on a little-known historical connection between the clubs that dates right back to 1903 - and is directly linked to the famous black and white shirts.
Not to put too fine a point on it, if it hadn't been for Notts County, Juve would have spent the past century playing in pink.

The story is a charming one. In 1903 an English member of Juventus, John Savage, wrote to Notts County, formed in 1862 and then in the old English First Division, asking for a set of their black and white shirts.

At that point Juve, founded by students six years earlier, were playing in pink. Another club, Palermo, played in the same colour and Juve didn't want to be confused with them.
Notts County were happy to oblige. Thus the link was made, and has remained intact ever since, despite the very different fortunes the two clubs have experienced during the following century. Juventus are now one of the biggest clubs in the world - Notts County are only notable for the fact that they are the oldest club in the world still playing professional football.

To mark this relationship, Juventus and their young president Andrea Agnelli, chose Notts County as the side to take part in the inauguration of the club's new stadium in September 2011. "If there has been a more elegant gesture in the history of football, it would be good to hear of it," The Guardian said of the invitation.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm pretty sure John O'Shea had the highest goals to shots ratio in the Premier League 2006/07, I remember seeing it on Sky Sports News at the time. He had 5 shots and scored 4 goals, giving him an 80% goal to shot rate.

FootyballsL4

Supports
Liverpool
In 5 seasons Crystal Placace fielded
186 different players!!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'm pretty sure John O'Shea had the highest goals to shots ratio in the Premier League 2006/07, I remember seeing it on Sky Sports News at the time. He had 5 shots and scored 4 goals, giving him an 80% goal to shot rate.
He's also played every position for United. Legend.

MUFC OK

Estimating quality of keepers had nothing to do with it (even if a certain Frans Hoek thought Kraft had a lot of potential. But obviously that fella has no clue about judging keepers, he also thought van der Saar was good)
Are you ill? Absolutely moronic statement.

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
Bollocks. Estimating quality of keepers had nothing to do with it (even if a certain Frans Hoek thought Kraft had a lot of potential. But obviously that fella has no clue about judging keepers, he also thought van der Saar was good)

Bayern Ultras didn't want Neuer because he was member of a Schalke Ultra group ("Buerschenschaft") they aren't exactly friendly with (as in, run into them in a dark alley wearing Bayern colors and you're missing a few front teeth).
Most non-Ultra supporters never understood that, neither did any pundit.
I know, it was more or less tongue in cheek. I basically only wanted to refer to the "mia brauchan koan Neuer Torwart, mia ham scho Kraft" signs you could see in the stadium around that time.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why weird? He was immense.
You'd just expect someone else I think. Most sides have had legendary strikers going back years but for some reason Spain have struggled for centre forwards. I just assumed it would be Raul who is basically the only one I can think of from the past 20 years or so.

WalkerTheRed

The only person person to ever score a goal in
a European Cup final,
a UEFA (EL) Cup final &
the former European Cup Winners Cup final was. . .

Danish former European footballer of the year Alan Simonsen. . . who, in 1982, joined Charlton Athletic from Barcelona.
If I remember correctly, he actually bought out his own contract, because he was unhappy about Barca signing yet another foreigner. Some low-potential nobody named Diego something...

tomaldinho1

Park Ji-Sung was born with flat feet (he basically doesn't have an arch) and was advised not do any sport that required a lot of running.

tomaldinho1

Mark Viduka's understanding of the PL points system:

'"I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league."

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

No freaking way
Mark Viduka and Luka Modric are Cousins
Also no freaking way. That can't be true :lol: