Weird things about football that are true but don't sound it

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Italy's all-time top goalscorer scored 35 international goals.
Just checked the record, top scorers are from 1930s and 70s. From 80s top scorers are Del Piero and Baggio with 27 goals. Weird, thought they have more than that.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Emile Heskey, 58 caps 7 goals
Rene Higuita, 68 caps 8 goals
Jose Luis Chilavert, 74 caps 8 goals

The last two on the list are goalkeepers.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Michael Owen never scored 20 league goals (or more) in a season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Tevez gets paid more than Messi.
Not sure this is true. Messi's wages before the tax are higher than what english media reported tevez is on

Real Madrid hasn't done the double(league+CL) since 1958 and only did it twice in its history

Carlo Ancelotti once turned down the chance to sign Roberto Baggio because he had Mario Stanic

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Despite reaching the quarter finals of the world cup twice, Northern Ireland's all time top goal scorers were Colin Clarke (13) and Gerry Armstrong (12).
It wasn't until 2000 when David Healy scored the first of his record breaking 36 goals.
Subsequently, Kyle Lafferty scored the first of his 20 goals in 2006.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Guillermo Stabile made his debut for Argentina in the second group match of the 1930 World Cup.

He scored twice, then a hat trick in the final group match, then 2 in the semi, then 1 in the final.

After the World Cup, Stábile never played for Argentina again. This meant that in his international career, he could boast having scored a hat trick on his debut, scoring in every game he played for the national side, a goals per game ratio of 2.0 and being the top scorer at the first World Cup.
What's weird is on wikipedia it says that but then in the games played and goals scored bit it says he has 23 goals in 31 games, not sure how they got that.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Holy shit.

93 - winners
94 - winners
95 - 1 point behind
96 - winners
97 - winners
98 - 1 point behind
99 - winners
00 - winners
01 - winners
07 - winners
08 - winners
09 - winners
10 - 1 point behind
11 - winners
12 - 0 points behind
13 - winners

two incredible runs
Yeah but he didn't know tactics

Blind

England and Italy were both knocked out of a World Cup group containing Costa Rica.

Gopher Brown

Feenando Torres is 33, same school year and birth year as me. It feels like I have known about him since I was 12 or 13 meaning he should be much older than me.
It's a sad day when a player younger than you makes it. You realise you're not going to be a footballer. For me it was when Rooney scored against Arsenal, because he's 6 months younger than me.

frank lee madeer..

Paul pogba cost 90 million quid.

Based on hearsay, Graeme souness signed & then played george weahs ' nephew' in a premier league game. He brought him on as a sub & then subbed him 5 mins later.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It's a sad day when a player younger than you makes it. You realise you're not going to be a footballer. For me it was when Rooney scored against Arsenal, because he's 6 months younger than me.
Haha same. Although I still hold out hope when I see how Rooney plays now.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Romelu Lukaku scored more goals before his 19th birthday than Victor Anichebe has managed to date.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
On that topic, afellay played for barcelona in 2010/11 and made a key contribution in the SF at the bernabeu

....I still can't fecking stand tha game :devil:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Ronaldinho nearly played for St Mirren.

The top 10 transfer fees paid in Scottish football history were all from 2002 and before that.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Prynhawn da Schmiznurf.... think he went on to play for France so may be TOTAL Intl goals?
Just has Argentina down, it's weird considering it does also say he only played a few times.

I've never known good afternoon as prynhawn da funnily enough, only ever learnt it as p'nawn da, so had to google it, lol.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Celtic were the first european team to do the treble, and they did it with a team made up entirely of players born within 30 miles of celtic park

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No Dutch player has played more games in the EPL than George Boateng