Welcome record or not?

keithsingleton

United now in the record books for the first team ever to be losing 6 games on the bounce and winning them all away from home. Not sure its a record i'm keen on being honest.

Thoughts?

Judas

Open to offers
It's a weird one. It's not great to keep putting ourselves in such a situation, but to continuously have the drive to get back into games and win them isn't something to moan about.

Jacob

Jesus Christ, it feels there are records broken every single round in PL. People track too many variables these days.

What next? Most consecutive wins in empty stadiums? Most goals scored while wearing white shorts on Wednesdays.

Couldn't care less about this 'record'.

tomaldinho1

United now in the record books for the first team ever to be losing 6 games on the bounce and winning them all away from home. Not sure its a record i'm keen on being honest.

Thoughts?
Better than the other way around and losing 6 from winning positions!

At some point we'll have to find a way to start better or we won't be able to keep clawing it back but, until that day, you can't argue against the 3 points

Dinghy

Would hate to have this continue for 15-20 games. Imagine how embarrasing it would be to have 20-25 away wins in a row.

Jesus Christ, it feels there are records broken every single round in PL. People tract too many variables these days.

What next? Most consecutive wins in empty stadiums? Most goals scored while wearing white shorts on Wednesdays.

it’s not a record to go out and celebrate, no one cares about it. However, it is impressive given the resilience needed to do it. If we had half decent home form, It would be something to be proud of - but it’s more of an interesting quirk.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If you look at the games though...

Brighton - deservedly behind
Newcastle - early OG before any pattern had played out
Everton - down against the run of play
Southampton - down against the run of play, two down no less
West Ham - deservedly behind
Sheffield United - early GK feck up before any pattern had played out

So it's not like we've been absolutely shit in all of these games we've gone behind in, 4 of the 6 I'd argue we've been unlucky to go behind in

Rustyspider13

Glad that Ole's tenure is associated with a few positive records, unlike Moyes, who was breaking the wrong records left and right. But yeah, we can't keep doing this, Leipzig showed us that sometimes the hole is too deep to crawl out of.

el3mel

It shows a good level of mentality, but we need to improve how we start games. Can't keep depending on comebacks for ever, that's for sure.

Today was mostly Henderson's fault though.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Jesus Christ, it feels there are records broken every single round in PL. People track too many variables these days.

There is an entire industry built around tracking and analyzing variables.

As for the Premier League, we now have: A new club record for consecutive away wins, new Premier Leauge record for away wins to start a season, on top of the mentioned record and a couple others I cant quite remember.

They're not noteworthy by itself outside of the club record, that one is pretty neat, but they are an indicator and that has some value. Records aren't really broken every week except for us right now, and today: Sheffield United for forst PL opening after 13 games (heh). They're just outliers, and they're fun to hear about.

None of the examples you've mentioned is anywhere near anything the club or football tracks, so they're kinda poor to use as a "I don't like this" argument.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's a weird "record" for a weird team.

I said elsewhere that the first game we score first will obviously be the one we don't win... Because that's the sort of weird thing we'd do.

Our next away game is Leicester and I can see that being a 2-1 win for us after Vardy scores the first...and then it's Annfield... That'll be the game we score first.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Better than the ones we got under Moyes and Van Gaal; first time we've lost at home to West Brom since rationing, first time we've failed to have a shot on goal in the second half since the Diet of Worms etc.

Relem

It's a great record. 6 consecutive away wins. Take your Ole hating glasses off.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I love this record because its involved opposition fan mates of mine chatting shit when we go down and then looking stupid when we win - they have learned though, no one messaged me today when Shef Utd scored

Relem

This is a classic example of a thread designed to discredit our progress. Our away record. Our fight back ability is PHENOMENAL. OK. It'd be nice to start quick and be out of sight every game but when has that ever been United anyway?

Wicked_Badger

Doesn’t seem that long ago that we’d go behind and I’d have absolutely no hope that we’d score a goal or even mount any kind of comeback attempt, so from that point of view it’s positive.

I’d much rather we didn’t have that hurdle to overcome every away match, it’s obviously not ideal, but at least it shows we can do it.

keithsingleton

It's a great record. 6 consecutive away wins. Take your Ole hating glasses off.
Not sure I'd class it as a great record but could be worse if we lead and lost them all. Who said anything about hating Ole? Loved him as a player and still do. I may dislike his managements skills but I'll never hate him so take your false accusing glasses off.

Chief123

Thoughts?
The biggest positive is that team should develop a confidence that no matter what the situation, we can win any game. We’ve been 2-0 down in some of them and still won.

Knowing that, going a goal behind will not worry the team. If anything it’ll make the opposition nervy of the fact that they’ll know we’ll most likely come back at them.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
It shows a good level of mentality, but we need to improve how we start games. Can't keep depending on comebacks for ever, that's for sure.

Today was mostly Henderson's fault though.
I'm not sure if it does. I think it's possible that it shows a good level of skill, and a poor mentality.

Dante

Average bang
It gives United an aura of "they'll score when they want".

Whether this is true or not, I very much welcome the fear it instils in our opponents. It may not be on the level of "beaten before they take to the pitch" from the good old Fergie days. But it's definitely a positive psychological advantage going into games.

keithsingleton

I love this record because its involved opposition fan mates of mine chatting shit when we go down and then looking stupid when we win - they have learned though, no one messaged me today when Shef Utd scored
That's a good way of looking to it. :D

Crashoutcassius

Thoughts?
Also the first team since the 60s to score 2 goals in 10 straight away games. We had similar scoring records last year.. ole loves a record, good or bad !

eire-red

We have horrible game management. We should be more direct in the opening stages, play for territory rather than posession. When the game settles down we can play with it a bit more.

Right now, teams are raring to get at us from the first whistle, and we're playing into their hands. Why not just play the percentage balls down the flanks, until we get a foothold in the game?

It's good that we can come from behind, but why is it necessary? Ole needs to figure it out ASAP, and I'm not even really on about the goals as they are often down to individual errors, but they are borne from a general lethargy in the first 20 minutes of games.

I feel like conceding is only the symptom, it's our passive starts that invite pressure and cause errors.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It gives United an aura of "they'll score when they want".

Whether this is true or not, I very much welcome the fear it instils in our opponents. It may not be on the level of "beaten before they take to the pitch" from the good old Fergie days. But it's definitely a positive psychological advantage going into games.
Indeed.
I was angry and annoyed with how we conceded the first goal tonight but I knew we'd get back into the game eventually and I think that played ,psychologically, on Sheffield United's minds.

Overall, we're certainly a more confident and arrogant team playing on the front foot nowadays.

We seriously need to sort out our defensive shape, especially on set plays, though.

Jamie Shawcross

Thoughts?
Not sure how anyone wouldn't be "keen" on this record. For us not to have gotten it, we would have had to fail to win one of the last 6 games away...fact is, 6 away wins on the bounce coming from behind...a wins a win.

Slik

We have horrible game management. We should be more direct in the opening stages, play for territory rather than posession. When the game settles down we can play with it a bit more.

Right now, teams are raring to get at us from the first whistle, and we're playing into their hands. Why not just play the percentage balls down the flanks, until we get a foothold in the game?

It's good that we can come from behind, but why is it necessary? Ole needs to figure it out ASAP, and I'm not even really on about the goals as they are often down to individual errors, but they are borne from a general lethargy in the first 20 minutes of games.

I feel like conceding is only the symptom, it's our passive starts that invite pressure and cause errors.
You are 100% right. We tend to try to keep possession in our own half at the start of games, instead of focusing on getting the ball up the pitch as fast as we can.

meamth

But... never say die and coming back to win is what United is renowned for.

It's exciting but painful to watch at the beginning.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm not sure there's much science behind conceding first. Just the way the cookie (sorry defence) crumbles.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
This record is only possible when you play at grounds without fans.

No way it would have happened, had the fans been allowed to watch games live.

wolvored

The only record that counts is the 38 game record at the end of the season. Lets see where we are then.

Statue of Limitations

It's a positive, it reminds me of the 90's when teams knew they hadn't beaten us until the final whistle.

It's a trait of title contenders, it doesn't matter how many times you concede first, get knocked down it's how many times you get back up.

Top 2 is more than possible, if we win 10 more games this year having gone behind first, I'd take it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

That's creased me :lol:

meamth

This record is only possible when you play at grounds without fans.

No way it would have happened, had the fans been allowed to watch games live.
We'll see, but let's not disregard their efforts from these results. Still exceptional results.