"Wembley Stadium set to be SOLD by FA in astonishing £800m deal"

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
That stadium is with more than £800m.
No chance you build a 90,000 capacity stadium in London for just £800m.

NinjaFletch

I don't know if Im morally opposed to selling Wembley or not, but it's staggeringly obvious that a £600m offer was an absolute pittance given the amount it cost to build less than 10 years ago.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That one deal might not go through, but who knows if another might. One withdrawn £800m offer that was seemingly highly considered by the FA doesn't rule out the possibility of a higher bid that they go for.
Ah yeah sure enough, I was referring to the OP where Khan's bid was described in the embedded Tweet. I don't think there will be a lot of interested parties though - Khan, at least it's rumoured, wanted to buy Wembley with respect to a potential future transferral of his NFL team from the USA to London.

RedDevil@84

There's a reason most countries FA don't have a stadium. It's cost to much to keep and not enough games being played there.
Ok.
I was thinking if they wanted to build another one somewhere else.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Excellent news, I'm not usually one for sentiment over logic but we absolutely could not sell our national stadium to a yank.

Adisa

What was Khan's proposal to make it viable?
Can't see why anyone would want to buy it.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
There's a reason most countries FA don't have a stadium. It's cost to much to keep and not enough games being played there.
Surely Wembley is profitable as-is, though? Even taking Spurs out of the element as that's only a temporary thing, it's still a major venue for gigs & now even boxing.

Adisa

Surely Wembley is profitable as-is, though? Even taking Spurs out of the element as that's only a temporary thing, it's still a major venue for gigs & now even boxing.
Will have a look at the accounts if it's public. Even with the gigs, I can't imagine it's profitable. £70m a year is a pretty steep price. Furthermore, I doubt the FA take up to 40% of the gate receipts for the third party gigs they do.

Oggmonster

It's probably a long term plan to buy it.

There was rumours of an NFL team playing there, they have gigs there, boxing, they'd still have football on there etc. It's a huge stadium and I'd imagine over a good few years it would be worthwhile to have.

RooneyLegend

Never understood why football matches aren't regularly played at the biggest football venue in a country.

Le Red

I don’t agree, the national team should have a home and it should be in the capital. The whole nation should have better and more affordable transport to be able to attend though, but that’s another issue.

The new Wembley is a bit soulless though, it was overpriced and under delivered.
Here in Brazil the national team is bashed for playing abroad too much. People would like to see the NT play more in their homes so they can develop a real bond with them.
Of course, Brazil is much bigger than England.
Nevertheless, the idea that a NT has to play in the capital only can be quite unsetting to people who live in the interior. That's actually rather elitist in my opinion and bound to generate resentment.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Good news for Spurs, since it increases the chances for Levy's longer-term plan for our new stadium to host an NFL franchise.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Good news for Spurs, since it increases the chances for Levy's longer-term plan for our new stadium to host an NFL franchise.
Do the NFL & PL seasons not collide? How would the two work in tandem if not? Playing a football game during the day and an American football game at night seems a bit... Farfetched.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Do the NFL & PL seasons not collide? How would the two work in tandem if not? Playing a football game during the day and an American football game at night seems a bit... Farfetched.
NFL on weekends when Spurs play away from home, not that hard to accomplish.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Why is that good news.
Because Wembley owned by Khan would have been a potential rival to host an NFL franchise, particularly since he owns the Jacksonville Jaguars.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Not at all. Switching over from one pitch to the other is expected to take approximately 25 minutes.

raggy

Supports
Spurs
On the contrary Levy has even pitched the idea of a world first NFL/Premier League double header on the same day as it only takes 25mins to switch from one sports mode to the other.

They already intend to keep the stadium open for hours after a Tottenham game if there's another Prem game on TV. The stadium will have something like 500 screens with some larger ones scattered about and lots of themed bars. They want to make it an all day venue anyway.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
NFL on weekends when Spurs play away from home, not that hard to accomplish.
Scheduling like that between multiple leagues sounds like a logistical nightmare if more teams were to follow suit, but...

Not at all. Switching over from one pitch to the other is expected to take approximately 25 minutes.
On the contrary Levy has even pitched the idea of a world first NFL/Premier League double header on the same day as it only takes 25mins to switch from one sports mode to the other.

They already intend to keep the stadium open for hours after a Tottenham game if there's another Prem game on TV. The stadium will have something like 500 screens with some larger ones scattered about and lots of themed bars. They want to make it an all day venue anyway.
Damn, fair play! The idea of keeping the stadium open for fans to watch rivals play is such a novel yet cool one.

RoyH1

Which is why I think they should sell. In a modern economy, having a national team only stadium doesn't add up. The staff costs of keeping that place maintained must be phenomenal. It'd be interesting to see how France maintains Stade de France. I'm assuming having both rugby and football gives them a higher regularity, but still, rugby doesn't have

I think it would be great if the England team could play around the country. Old Trafford, St. James, Elland Road, Villa Park would all be great venues for England games.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Have you seen the state of the pitch after a NFL game?

If the groundsman can repair all that week in week out then fair play to him. I don't think the Spurs players would enjoy playing on that though.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

If the groundsman can repair all that week in week out then fair play to him. I don't think the Spurs players would enjoy playing on that though.
There will be two pitches (as well as two entirely separate sets of changing rooms) at the stadium, one for NFL (and most likely other events etc) and one completely separate one for football.

As for Wembley, overall I actually would prefer that the national team plays across the country and not be confined to one stadium if possible.

However, considering that we already have that stadium, I would be against the sale of it, especially for the price being mooted. Its a 90k seater stadium in a reasonable area of one of the most expensive cities in the world. Right decision and I'm guessing Khan withdrew cos he knew he wouldn't get appropriate support (or maybe was concerned about the corruption allegations)?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
There will be two pitches (as well as two entirely separate sets of changing rooms) at the stadium, one for NFL (and most likely other events etc) and one completely separate one for football.

As for Wembley, overall I actually would prefer that the national team plays across the country and not be confined to one stadium if possible.

However, considering that we already have that stadium, I would be against the sale of it, especially for the price being mooted. Its a 90k seater stadium in a reasonable area of one of the most expensive cities in the world. Right decision and I'm guessing Khan withdrew cos he knew he wouldn't get appropriate support (or maybe was concerned about the corruption allegations)?
Thank you I was unaware of the 2 pitches that would be some setup.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

The pitch that Spurs will play on is retractable. Underneath it is a separate NFL pitch. So the Spurs pitch is not affected at all by NFL football.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Here in Brazil the national team is bashed for playing abroad too much. People would like to see the NT play more in their homes so they can develop a real bond with them.
Of course, Brazil is much bigger than England.
Nevertheless, the idea that a NT has to play in the capital only can be quite unsetting to people who live in the interior. That's actually rather elitist in my opinion and bound to generate resentment.
It does, I think most (England) fans enjoyed matches being player around the country at places like Old Trafford, St James, SoL etc, it was good for the clubs and the regions and also the England team. I also hate Wembley having FA cup semi finals there, it's a load of crap.

Hal9000

He'd move the Jacksonville Jaguars home games there full time most likely. He'd probably host as many events as possible there, sweat as much money out of it as possible.

What he's done at the Jaguars stadium and with Fulhams stadium, is evidence. Both earn far more money from non match day revenue, than they do match day.

Josep Dowling

What could possibly go wrong with thousands of drunk football fans in one place.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
What could possibly go wrong with thousands of drunk football fans in one place.
Lol … well yes.

But I suppose the idea is that - since fans will know that the various stadium bars are open for the duration, that they can stay inside the stadium for as long as they like, that there's no hurry and that there's various things they can do whilst they are there apart from drink - there won't be any crazed binge drinking.

goofygoofygoofy

The Football Foundation also said a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to improve facilities had been lost, given that the money from the Wembley sale would be matched by local authorities and sponsors, equating to £1.2bn.
So £1.2bn for grassroots plus extra jobs from the extra events being staged at Wembley against... not having the FA's name on the title deed?

There are some very emotional people in England, it would seem. They'd prefer to have things seem 'right' than to do actual, substantial good, it appears. And the so-called money men are supposed by these people of proper moral feeling to be the ones in the wrong, even to be disgraceful. Odd.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Thanks for that. Rather amazing, though I could see it getting jammed or not fitting quite right after a long time. Interesting concept though.
Will be quite a sight to behold when it happens. They have tested the pitches extensively, including at the training ground but you're right, there is no way to know 100% how it will be 50-100 years down the line. Will have to see then I guess!

So £1.2bn for grassroots plus extra jobs from the extra events being staged at Wembley against... not having the FA's name on the title deed?

There are some very emotional people in England, it would seem. They'd prefer to have things seem 'right' than to do actual, substantial good, it appears. And the so-called money men are supposed by these people of proper moral feeling to be the ones in the wrong, even to be disgraceful. Odd.
£600 million is nowhere near enough for Wembley and there are other ways to invest in grassroots football in this country.