"Wembley Stadium set to be SOLD by FA in astonishing £800m deal"

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Wembley Stadium... WEMBLEY Stadium, the iconic home of the oldest football nation in the world, sold to some Yank dickhead for £800m.

Yuck.

big rons sovereign

That is by far the most grotesque thing I've ever read. And the images it conjures up are much much worse than a nazi saluting dog. :(

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I’ve never liked the new Wembley anyway. A shadow is cast over half the pitch most of the time, so whoever didn’t think of that when they designed it wants shagging with the plump end of a rag mans trumpet. The constant embarrassment that is the empty corporate seats right opposite the camera is something else that has never been addressed, either move the corporate section or move the camera above the corporate. And I can’t stand low camera angles at grounds where you can’t see all of play going on. The seats are too packed close together and it takes forever to get our the feckin place. And don’t get me started on the prices of beer and food, I expect to pay more money but it’s ridiculous. Nah, it can do one for me.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I’ve never liked the new Wembley anyway. A shadow is cast over half the pitch most of the time, so whoever didn’t think of that when they designed it wants shagging with the plump end of a rag mans trumpet. The constant embarrassment that is the empty corporate seats right opposite the camera is something else that has never been addressed, either move the corporate section or move the camera above the camera above the corporate. And I can’t stand low camera angles at grounds where you can’t see all of play going on. The seats are too packed close together and it takes forever to get our the feckin place. And don’t get me started on the prices of beer and food, I expect to pay more money but it’s ridiculous. Nah, it can do one for me.
Isn't it around £9 for a burger and chips?

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I willl buy Wembley stadium to strengthen the future of the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise in Jacksonville. :lol:

London Jaguars has a nice ring to it.

RMD83

In the 35 years I have lived in England I could literally count on one hand the amount of people I have met that have any level of interest in the NFL. I’m amazed that this is even remotely commercially viable. Obviously it must be else they wouldn’t be thinking about it.

RMD83

Hang on, wasn’t Wembley paid for with the tax payers money? And the FA are planning to now sell it for £800m. Do we get a refund?

Phil

In the 35 years I have lived in England I could literally count on one hand the amount of people I have met that have any level of interest in the NFL. I’m amazed that this is even remotely commercially viable. Obviously it must be else they wouldn’t be thinking about it.
You're really not looking very hard or in the right places then!

RMD83

You're really not looking very hard or in the right places then!
Rubbish. If you went to any city in England and surveyed 1000 people and asked them to name 5 NFL players I bet you the number of people who couldn’t would be at least 95%.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
You can't sell your stadium to a guy with that moustache, ffs. He looks like an evil wizard. He'll use the land to create a portal to Draenor.

Josep Dowling

Just stinks of corruption. How can the FA sell the stadium when they didn’t even pay for half of it?

Slowly but surely everything is just being sold for short term gain. Is there really that much of an interest in NFL to need a 90,000 seater stadium in London? It’s worse than rugby.

Josep Dowling

I think they should take the deal:

1) Having a national stadium is nothing more than ego and tradition, many other much more successful nations don't have one
2) How many coaches could they train and players could they produce for 800 million? I don't think its outlandish to suggest that this money, if invested properly, could result in tournament wins
3) Many people, once the true cost of Wembley came to light, were of the opinion we shouldn't have bothered and invested the money in the actual game, not bricks and mortar. It was only we were so deep into it we have no choice but to continue. We have the chance now to roll the clock back and for an inflation driven loss of say 100-200 million (its not my money or your money, who really cares)?

So as long as the FA get a clause in the contact to guarantee certain usage (cup finals, England games) for a good duration at a fixed cost, I'd take the deal and focus on the fecking game, not the fecking buildings.
Maybe your points are valid but do you really believe the FA will use any of the money for good purposes?

Absolutely not, it will be paid to a select few who will walk away with a massive bonus whilst a stadium that was largely funded by the tax payer has been sold yet again to Foreign owners.

stepic

The NFL already have about 4 games in London every year and they’re all sell outs. A whole season of home games is I think 8. Plus having an actual London based team would attract support. It’s definitely viable. Potential nightmare trying to make the travel work but it will happen eventually.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Sounds like it is pretty much a done deal going from the first sentence. Khan has invested a lot of money into Jacksonville so not so sure he'll be moving them to Wembley.

Phil

Rubbish. If you went to any city in England and surveyed 1000 people and asked them to name 5 NFL players I bet you the number of people who couldn’t would be at least 95%.
So you've gone from a stat of knowing 5 or less people to effectively saying only 5% or England's population of 55m could name 5 players, so 2.75 million.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
They could buy any stadium solely based on hot-dog sales.

Zlatattack

I think it's pathetic. They'll only piss the money away somewhere, at least this way we have a national stadium. Sure it's not the best use of money but we're like the 5th richest country in the world, we can afford a stadium. Where is the pride? The self respect?

This country has a serious self image problem.

RMD83

So you've gone from a stat of knowing 5 or less people to effectively saying only 5% or England's population of 55m could name 5 players, so 2.75 million.
Yes I would be surprised if more than 5% of the English population could name more than 5 NFL players if put on the spot and asked.

edcunited1878

The Jaguars aren't leaving Jacksonville. However, Khan is getting major backing from the NFL to do this deal. Purchasing Wembley would enable Khan to have a money generating outlet that he can use the profits towards Fulham, towards his NFL team, etc. His ownership group would be able to sell sponsorship at Wembley, events, concerts, etc. It's a commercial decision for Khan and he would not interfere with Wembley as it relates to English Football and The FA.

Just the intent of purchasing Wembley knowing that Khan is an NFL owner would raise his net worth and the profile of the NFL itself. Because the NFL has lost it's bargaining chip and last golden egg that was the Los Angeles market, the NFL has to generate another bargaining piece for their owners, for broadcast (TV or digital/streaming) rightsholders and that looks now to be London.

edcunited1878

I think it's pathetic. They'll only piss the money away somewhere, at least this way we have a national stadium. Sure it's not the best use of money but we're like the 5th richest country in the world, we can afford a stadium. Where is the pride? The self respect?

This country has a serious self image problem.
I would say it's more that The FA and it's male dominated, outdated lifestyle, mindset and silver spoon culture is the biggest problem. They can't say no to money and want the best for themselves.

This isn't about grassroots. It's all about the almighty dollar for a select, 'privileged' few in the upper echelons of The FA.

clarkydaz

I’ve never liked the new Wembley anyway. A shadow is cast over half the pitch most of the time, so whoever didn’t think of that when they designed it wants shagging with the plump end of a rag mans trumpet. The constant embarrassment that is the empty corporate seats right opposite the camera is something else that has never been addressed, either move the corporate section or move the camera above the corporate. And I can’t stand low camera angles at grounds where you can’t see all of play going on. The seats are too packed close together and it takes forever to get our the feckin place. And don’t get me started on the prices of beer and food, I expect to pay more money but it’s ridiculous. Nah, it can do one for me.
Agree completely, its soulless and charmless. I'm surprised they never made a reference in design to the old twin towers, now they have that monstrosity across the top

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Not against selling it, but the price just seems a little too low (although that's probably because we overspent like crazy on it).

Bocca9978

Nothing will change. FA cup, internationals, playoffs, the lot will all still be there.

Profits will go overseas. I don’t get the point.

After all the fuss of building it and going over budget I really can’t see how that’s a good price.

Classical Mechanic

If part of the sale ensures that England's men's and women's sides take precedence in the schedule then I'm all for it. Providing there is highly significant investment in grass roots.

Hammerfell

Personally I’m all for it if only for how much it’ll annoy the ‘BROKEN BRITAIN, VOTE LEAVE’ people.

nePhantom

Supports
Liverpool
So it’s worth only 4 Neymars
Exactly. 50m is the new 20m. How soon until players are going for the price of this stadium. Liverpool have made more from transfers than it it cost to buy the club!

ti vu

The question is where the money goes to after the sale (if it goes through of course)? It's funded by tax, wasn't? They can't just take the money and put in their pocket or paying to rent Wembley for eternity without answer to the people, can they?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/26/chairman-statement

It was revealed today that I have made an offer to purchase Wembley Stadium from The Football Association. To everyone in the Fulham Family, I wanted you to be among the first to hear the news, directly from me, and share a bit of background.

As you likely know, in addition to the privilege of serving as Chairman of Fulham Football Club, I am also owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League in the U.S. The Jaguars have played regular season home games at Wembley Stadium in each of the past five NFL seasons and will continue to do so at least through the 2020 season. The games the Jaguars play at Wembley are essential to the financial stability of the Jaguars in Jacksonville, which is one of the smallest markets in the NFL. If my ownership interests were to include Wembley Stadium, it would protect the Jaguars’ position in London at a time when other NFL teams are understandably becoming more interested in this great city. And the stronger the Jaguars are in London, the more stable and promising the Jaguars’ future will be in Jacksonville.

As important, Wembley Stadium would return to private ownership and The Football Association would be able to focus on its core mission of developing players with the best player developers and facilities anywhere in the game, thanks in part to the vast financial benefit that would result from the transaction. I trust many if not most of you are also supporters of the England national teams, so I hope you welcome the potential of this becoming a reality. Always know Wembley would be home to the England national teams, and that we would strive every day of the year to be the best possible steward for a venue that is iconic and beloved here and throughout the world.

No matter what the outcome of our offer may be, I want to emphatically state to you that none of this will have any effect on my commitment to your Club.

To be clear, this venture is 100 per cent independent of my investment in and operation of Fulham Football Club, Motspur Park and Craven Cottage. No less attention will be paid to developing players and fielding a squad that will win with frequency and always make you proud. It will have no impact on Craven Cottage as the home of FFC. And this is imperative to know, and I encourage you to spread the word – absolutely nothing changes in our plans to redevelop the Riverside Stand.

I hope you will support my effort in this endeavour, and I know you’re with me in wishing our First Team the very best tomorrow night against Sunderland as we take aim at promotion in the final two weekends of the season. I have submitted programme notes for tomorrow’s match that reflect upon our magical campaign and the opportunity ahead, and I’ll have them posted online here at fulhamfc.com in advance of kick-off.

In case you don’t get a chance to read the notes, let me take this opportunity to thank you for all you’ve done to make this a record-breaking season at Fulham Football Club. Come On You Whites!

RoyH1

If this means that England can play all around the country, I'm all for it.

The question is where the money goes to after the sale (if it goes through of course)? It's funded by tax, wasn't? They can't just take the money and put in their pocket or paying to rent Wembley for eternity without answer to the people, can they?
Upgrading the grass roots facilities apparently.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I think they owe £140m on it still, so with the £500m of cash they'd have £360m if paying it off. That's the salary of 400 people, perhaps kids coaches on £25k a year for 35 years. I don't think it sounds that much when put that way as it doesn't seem like a lot of coaches but maybe that's just me. Then they'd have to lease stadiums to play in top of that.

Edit: God job I re-read that, 400 employess/coaches not 40! Typo. One for every 130-odd thousand people in the country. Then you'd have none of the cash left after 35 years and no stadium still.

The Jaguars aren't leaving Jacksonville. However, Khan is getting major backing from the NFL to do this deal. Purchasing Wembley would enable Khan to have a money generating outlet that he can use the profits towards Fulham, towards his NFL team, etc. His ownership group would be able to sell sponsorship at Wembley, events, concerts, etc. It's a commercial decision for Khan and he would not interfere with Wembley as it relates to English Football and The FA.
I'm no businessman as I'm almost certainly about to demonstrate, but if this bloke thinks he can make money on it after buying it for the £500m (cash element)without his NFL team moving in then why don't the FA keep it and make the same kind of money he was hoping to do?

Also, if he's willing to spend the money and thinks he can profit then doesn't that mean it's worth more?

Last edited:

ti vu

Upgrading the grass roots facilities apparently.
Everyone can say so, but where is the plan? By the noise, it does sound like it's done deal. You don't just sell before thinking of a plan to make use of the money. How is this 800m, being used each year? How many years it's being spread over? What exactly being upgraded?... Too many questions.