Wenger wants an International Tournament every year

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/56418718

Yada yada yada. He's said it before.

But does he have a point? A player essentially has at best 3 chances to win the World Cup at the moment, i.e. aged 23, 27, 31. Others get two chances, i.e. aged 25 and 30

Personally, I wouldn't mind a 3-year cycle. Break - Euros - World Cup.

Could scrap World Cup Qualifiers and use the Continental tournaments to qualify for the World Cup

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Wenger can feck off. We should have international tournaments once a decade at most.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No thanks. The best thing as a viewer is how difficult it is for a nation to win it. Everything has to come together at the right moment.

PoTMS

Why the feck is Wenger always proposing new ideas? You don't see it from any other former coach much less more successful ones.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why the feck is Wenger always proposing new ideas? You don't see it from any other former coach much less more successful ones.
" Arsene Wenger has worked as chief of global football development at Fifa and been close advisor to president Gianni Infantino since November 2019 "

No thanks. The best thing as a viewer is how difficult it is for a nation to win it. Everything has to come together at the right moment.
agreed. It’s been more than 50 years since England won anything, that sucks, but if we ever do win a WC in my lifetime it will be an amazing achievement, if it’s every couple of years, it simply won’t be anywhere near as special.

let’s have the olympics every two years as well...

Stupid.

Hoof the ball

Absolutely not. You know why the World Cup is so good? Because having it once every four years makes it so much more of a unique spectacle. It raises the stakes of success and failure, knowing that if you don't get it right you have to wait four more years.
As a fan, if I knew the WC came every couple of years my level of anticipating for it would be far lower.

USREDEVIL

Whatever the old man wants.
Seriously nah, too many damn games as it is and the World Cup isn't gonna be won outside of about 5 teams anyways.

Oranges038

In 20 years he can drone on about all the tournaments he "nearly" setup.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolutely not. You know why the World Cup is so good? Because having it once every four years makes it so much more of a unique spectacle. It raises the stakes of success and failure, knowing that if you don't get it right you have to wait four more years.
As a fan, if I knew the WC came every couple of years my level of anticipating for it would be far lower.
Agreed.

more isn’t necessary better.

anyway we’ve got the national league tournament now for the years between world cups and euros to fill the gaps.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
International football should be scrapped, load of absolute horseshit.
I'm certainly nearer to that point of view.

I can't be bothered to read the article, but it seems it would then entail double the amount of qualification matches, which is the worst thing (along with International friendlies) in the football calendar.

I'd rather see random selection for those International tournaments and preserve players' freshness for more watchable football.

rcoobc

Agreed.

more isn’t necessary better.

anyway we’ve got the national league tournament now for the years between world cups and euros to fill the gaps.
I'd rather scrap that and have nothing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Did he have the same thought as a manager of a club chock full of internationals?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd rather scrap that and have nothing.
I don’t mind it, it’ll never have the prestige of the other tournaments and more football can never be a bad thing for me IMO.

its just a better way for the smaller countries to get fairer competitive matches really, no point England playing Liechtenstein anymore etc

Handré1990

Agreed. It’s what makes me watch the WC in the first place. It’s certainly not the quality of football, which is awful for about 70% of the tournament.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Wenger's 3 weekly quotes

Propose a new idea.

Shed light on experiences from his managerial career. For a bloke who never saw anything he sure remembers a lot.

Reveal the latest player he almost signed before that player even was conceived.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
They should bin off the euros and keep the WC every 4 years. They should be looking to reduce the amount of international games, not increasing them.

rcoobc

It brings to question how much football could be scrapped:

- International Friendlies
- National League
- Europa League
- Champions League group stage.
- League Cup.
- Cut down International Qualifiers

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One change I think they need to make is to set aside a month for International qualifiers. Sort majority of them over a month and try to have as many unbroken seasons for leagues.

Though I guess logistically it would be difficult for qualifiers which like in South America is an 18 game league, or the amount of rounds in Asia.

Gazza

One change I think they need to make is to set aside a month for International qualifiers. Sort majority of them over a month and try to have as many unbroken seasons for leagues.

Though I guess logistically it would be difficult for qualifiers which like in South America is an 18 game league, or the amount of rounds in Asia.
a thousand times this

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It really does feel like he just sits there coming up with really crap ideas that he needs to tell the world about

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Every 2 years you have either the continental cup or WC coming. So what exactly is he complaining?

A player who has 6 years of career with national team will have 2 world cups and 2-3 continental cups.

Withnail

But does he have a point? A player essentially has at best 3 chances to win the World Cup at the moment, i.e. aged 23, 27, 31. Others get two chances, i.e. aged 25 and 30

Could scrap World Cup Qualifiers and use the Continental tournaments to qualify for the World Cup
International football isnt the pinnacle of the game any more. It's generally of inferior quality when compared to the champions league etc.

He can feck off, we don't need more of it.

diarm

I haven't read this latest nonsense, but if they agree to move all internationals to May/June and scrap the interruptions during the proper season then they can do as they like.

Gandalf

I would prefer no international football ever. A handful of countries dominate, most of the games are one sided and the the product is massively inferior to the Champions League. Leave it in the past.

Crustanoid

Bin pre-season friendlies and stage all international qualification matches in the few weeks leading up to the start of the season to get the fitness levels up.

Anyone not picked for their international team plays in a warm up comp for their club.

The last couple of matches in pre season are club matches for the managers to get their team fully ready.

With no international breaks the season will be a month shorter which means the biannual WC/continental tournament can be played earlier so more rest in Summer.

Also, kick Wenger in the nads every time he says something stupid in public

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Many have around 4 chances to win the WC: 20, 24, 28, 32. Then 3 for the Euro's. 22, 26, 30 or the other way around. That is 7 chances to win something with their country.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's a good idea to scrap everything international except the world cup and Euros / continental cups. Reduce number of worthless games. Do a qualifying month a year too outside of the league season.

Think Wenger is also talking about totally changing the normal league calendar dates to accommodate this. Probably not likely to happen soon due to that. Would have to change all the TV contracts.

Let's see how Wenger offside law trial goes anyway.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Can someone give him a real job to stop him proposing all these nonsense ideas?

diarm

Diarm's ideas to fix football:

Break down the 52 weeks of the year as follows:

38 Weeks - Club season, including all domestic league & cup games, plus European club competition.
6 Weeks - International season, including all friendlies, qualifiers and tournaments.
4 Weeks - Holiday for all players.
4 Weeks - Pre-season training.

Club/Domestic Game:

Clubs who qualify for Europe don't enter the EFL Cup. Make the EFL Cup 2 legged rounds and play them the same weeks as European competitions. Send the winner directly into the Europa League.
FA Cup is the only domestic cup with every team in England. Winner takes the 4th Champions League position.

These changes mean the maximum number of games for any club is 57. You can work 57 games into 38 weeks with no team ever having to play twice in a week, two weeks running (ie: if you play Wednesday then Saturday, you have a full weeks break before your next game).

The club game is run uninterrupted from 1st September until the middle/end of May.

International Game:

A 6 week window runs from the end of the club season each year in May/June.
There are 10-12 potential game weeks available depending on how nations wish to use them.

There are 55 teams in Europe who enter qualifying for both Euros and World Cup.
24 sides qualify for the Euros, 13 for the World Cup.
Euro qualifying takes place in the year following the World Cup.
World Cup qualifying takes place in the year following the Euros.

Euro Qualifying:
11 groups of 5 teams.
Seeded draw.
Sides in each group play each team home and away.
Top 2 qualify from each group.
3 sides qualify in host nations group (host, plus next best 2).
Best 3rd place side across all groups qualifies.

World Cup Qualifying:
11 groups of 5 teams.
Seeded draw.
Sides in each group play each team home and away.
1st place qualifies from each group.
If host is European, 2 qualify from host nations group (host plus next best).
Best 2 runners up across all groups qualify.

There would be 8 competitive internationals in a non tournament year, and a maximum of 7 in a tournament year. International sides could chose to arrange friendlies during the other 4/5 available match days as they saw fit.

This model doesn't feature a winter break, but there is a far better balance of rest periods across the season. Removing the need for any player to play in both Europe and the League Cup will also reduce the load.

The EFL Cup would have an identity of its own, becoming a real target for clubs outside the elite rather than an afterthought, dominated by the second string sides of the big clubs. Offering a proper route into European qualification would help distribute wealth down past the top4/6.

The FA Cup would regain its status as the premier cup competition in the country. With the carrot of Champions League qualification it would command attention and why should 4th place be seen as a greater achievement than winning the FA Cup?

International football would have its own summer season. Countries could arrange events and sell packages to groups of games. Qualifying would take on the form of mini tournaments instead of just being the annoying interruptions they are now.

The domestic season wouldn't have to deal with the annoying breaks every couple of months. Club games could be spread more evenly and more importantly, there would be set months put aside for an end of year break and a proper pre-season, unaffected by international tournaments or cup finals.