Wesley Sneijder

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Yeah I hope we can get some of the money back that we spent by selling players for around £10m before the end of the window.

Franq

Editor in chief Johan Derksen of the most reliable Dutch football new site/magazine Voetbal International just stated that Sneijder transfer is still "a real possibility", quoting Rene Meulensteen.

SATA

So just as i said, someone has finally reignite this again. This will continue to run through to 31 midnight, not to say whether it'll happen or not. It will make deadline day just a tad more interesting with Sneijder's and United's name in there

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Seriously people need to stop with this Sneijder stuff. Oh we need him for the Champions League blah, blah, blah. Yeah people said the same thing about Veron and though he was good for us he wasn't the great difference making player we thought he would be and we ended up reverting to type and relying on our homegrown players and Keano to win the title back in 2002/03 having gotten distracted with Europe the year before.

Sneijder is not going to be the difference between ourselves and Barcelona. Barca monopolise possession, Sneijder won't change that fact. Hypothetically if we have 30 per cent of the ball when we do have it he might be able to make that killer pass when we do have it. However, Cleverley can make that pass, Anderson can make that pass, so can Giggsy. Against Barcelona--if this is the argument people are making "we need him to beat Barca"--what matters most is your work ethic, your stamina, your ability to keep closing down from the first minute to the 90 as we did in 2008 at Old Trafford allied to having the endurance to launch attacks of your own having spent so much time chasing shadows.

Call me stupid but had Sneijder started the Champions League final instead of say Giggsy I cannot see what he would've done that much differently. People are forgetting when Inter beat Barca they sat Motta and Cambiasso behind Sneijder and they did all his dirty work. Sneijder has become a placebo for our fans, a magic bullet to shoot down the Catalans. Get real people a) he probably aint coming and b) even if he does he won't make that big of a difference if we play Barca. If we beat Barca like in '08 it'll be a team effort not under one player's creative inspiration.

If Ronaldo couldn't lead us to victory against Barca why Sneijder...?

I can't wait til the transfer window closes.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Editor in chief Johan Derksen of the most reliable Dutch football new site/magazine Voetbal International just stated that Sneijder transfer is still "a real possibility", quoting Rene Meulensteen.
Interesting. What's the consensus on Van der Kraan? I see everyone taking his word as gospel but no one really objectively vouching his credibility..

SATA

Seriously people need to stop with this Sneijder stuff. Oh we need him for the Champions League blah, blah, blah. Yeah people said the same thing about Veron and though he was good for us he wasn't the great difference making player we thought he would be and we ended up reverting to type and relying on our homegrown players and Keano to win the title back in 2002/03 having gotten distracted with Europe the year before.

Sneijder is not going to be the difference between ourselves and Barcelona. Barca monopolise possession, Sneijder won't change that fact. Hypothetically if we have 30 per cent of the ball when we do have it he might be able to make that killer pass when we do have it. However, Cleverley can make that pass, Anderson can make that pass, so can Giggsy. Against Barcelona--if this is the argument people are making "we need him to beat Barca"--what matters most is your work ethic, your stamina, your ability to keep closing down from the first minute to the 90 as we did in 2008 at Old Trafford allied to having the endurance to launch attacks of your own having spent so much time chasing shadows.

Call me stupid but had Sneijder started the Champions League final instead of say Giggsy I cannot see what he would've done that much differently. People are forgetting when Inter beat Barca they sat Motta and Cambiasso behind Sneijder and they did all his dirty work. Sneijder has become a placebo for our fans, a magic bullet to shoot down the Catalans. Get real people a) he probably aint coming and b) even if he does he won't make that big of a difference if we play Barca. If we beat Barca like in '08 it'll be a team effort not under one player's creative inspiration.

To be fair, if Fergie who knows a thing or two more than you about football decides to get him, he obviously sees him essential to another CL success which he craves so much for. And your comment on Veron is just a lame hindsight thing

Franq

Interesting. What's the consensus on Van der Kraan? I see everyone taking his word as gospel but no one really objectively vouching his credibility..
In the Netherlands, nobody knows him, Johan Derksen however is typically very, very well informed... not that means that we're signing him, but the deal is not as dead as some were made to believe it was...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Manchester United's assistant coach Rene Meulensteen not exclude Wesley Sneijder before the end of the transfer market has moved to the champion of England makes. The Orange International itself said Monday that he does not expect Internazionale in the coming days to leave. Sneijder is still linked to Manchester United and Arsenal.

"Sir Alex Ferguson has tremendous confidence in our current selection, let Meulensteen know to Voetbal International. "But a player the caliber of Wesley Sneijder could well suit us. I've said it before and I repeat it again. Where a will, there's always a way. As the club and player really want it, there is always something possible. I would be a transfer of Sneijder only applaud, "continues the assistant coach.

Manchester United over Arsenal on Sunday roared. The Red Devils scored eight times in the field was a very young average range of 22 years. Meulensteen: "For example, Ashley Young had his 26 years with one of the older players. But I do not see why an older player like Sneijder (27, red) would not fit into our team. "

"We play a lot of tough games this season. On the other hand, the competition starts with the selection of fantastic so I would not be surprised if our nothing will happen on transfer area."

Voetbal International - Meulensteen juicht transfer Sneijder alleen maar toe

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Seriously people need to stop with this seriously people need to stop with this Sneijder stuff stuff. Oh we have some good kids blah, blah, blah.

Give it a rest, this is a thread for those who want to read about it, noone is forcing you to come here.

Shimo

We have some good players but, Sneijder is quality as well and as long as SAF doesn't think his purchase would put us in a bad position in the future - I'd love it.

I very much doubt it's going to happen now because I think Fergie will honestly trust in what we have - especially considering Fletcher, Carrick and Giggs have yet to be required this season and he probably trusts them enough to produce when called upon.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Wish this cock teasing would stop.

If he wants to join, stop being a greedy cnut and sign. If not (assuming there's an offer from us) then he's not worth it.

SteveJ

Scout
Clutching at straws series #1: Wes has no mention of Inter - at all - on his Twitter account. And he's wearing a suit, not a football shirt, in his pic.

Wesley Sneijder
Welcome to my official twitter page. From now on I will keep everyone personally up to date with things that are happening in my life! Except the interesting stuff about United. PS Stop stalking me, Steve, or I'll call the police.
Ok, I'm getting stupidly sad and desperate now...
*blubs*

SteveJ

Scout
I'm listening to Talksport as they apparently have an interview coming up with Sneijder's cat or somethin'. God, what a terrible channel - it's like Eastenders with added football. Apart from Collymore and his co-host arguing like punch-drunk sloths, they had this Cockney bloke going on about the transfer market for ages; 'Who the bugger is this muppet?!?', I thought. It was actually Harry Redknapp! :D

Aporkalypse

Meulensteen has been put up to that I reckon, Mickey Phelan bet him a tenner he couldn't get away with it without the boss hearing he'd said it.

SteveJ

Scout
Van der Kraan says that Sneijder has deliberately down-played his desire to join United. However, Sneijder's agent was speaking to VdK in the last 30 minutes but will not comment on the possibility of a transfer to United, nor on René Meulensteen's comments (which have, apparently, been verified as true).

VdK: "If a deal happens from now, it will happen very quickly"

RonaldoVII

Marcel Van de Kraan says Rene Meulensteen quotes 'we are working on a transfer' arent to be doubted - but that doesnt mean it will go through.

Either way, I've got Wednesday off from work :devil:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
:lol: is this thread still going

After the start to the season we've made does anyone really care if we sign him or not?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yes. I doubt we'll sign him but a few great league performances won't change our Champions League prospects.
If we come up against Barca again I doubt Sneijder would change those prospects dramatically either

RonaldoVII

If we come up against Barca again I doubt Sneijder would change those prospects dramatically either
He would be a step nearer. We still haven't solved last season's midfield problem in my opinion. Anderson and Cleverley are doing really well at the minute but we'll need to play with cover sooner or later and that brings the previous problems.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yes. I doubt we'll sign him but a few great league performances won't change our Champions League prospects.
Neither will Sneijder, we have done well with current midfield minus Cleverley in CL before (Scholes didn't have a particularly important role in the last two years), we will do well now. We won't catch up with Barcelona by spending £35m on a midfielder we don't really need.

RonaldoVII

Neither will Sneijder, we have done well with current midfield minus Cleverley in CL before (Scholes didn't have a particularly important role in the last two years), we will do well now. We won't catch up with Barcelona by spending £35m on a midfielder we don't really need.
We can do well with our current midfield but we'd have to have a favourable draw and avoid Barcelona if we want to win it in my opinion. Sneijder would allow Rooney to play as the penalty area striker from two seasons back without us losing any of his creativity that he adds but would offer us better linkup than Hernandez does. Catching up with Barcelona would require a lot more than a £35m Sneijder but I reckon he'd give us a better chance of being successful in the competition whilst increasing our great chance of retaining the league.

Anyway, this is just repeating what people have said for the past 3 months. I doubt anyone will change their opinion at this stage so I'll leave it there.

tintedsepia

I think you're greatly simplifying the other point of view and missing the point.

Nobody's saying if we had Sneijder we'd have won the CL. Everyone admits that last season (even at the beginning of the season) that we needed another CM.

The problem with the CL final was not that we couldn't get the ball off Barcelona (although we could have done more to close down their space). The problem was that we couldn't keep the ball ourselves. Carrick, Park & Giggs were just not enough to actually keep the ball. The regularity that the likes of Carrick & Park gave the ball away was startling as were our lack of passing options.

Carrick and Park have not started so far this season but they will. So far we have energy, vitality and some great passing in midfield this season. We have a much more mobile central midfield. But the CM is young and with that youth you do have inconsistent performances throughout the season.

Cleverley is still learning how to play there. Anderson is now interpreting his position much better. They will both get even better over the next 2 years. But what's wrong with bringing an experienced CM there who's won the treble, got to the final of the world cup and will help open teams up AND retain possession.

This is a long hard season. Injuries, too many games around Christmas, suspensions all play their part and most would still admit that our central midfield is light and we need skill and experience. Sneijder provides that.

Does it mean that with him we would beat Barcelona? No.

I already believe we're closer to Barcelona and I think that with him we'll be even closer. I think that Sneijder is a catalyst type signing like Cantona who helps the team and also provides a guide for our younger players. We have a few coming through - Cleverley, Anderson, Pogba, Morrison and we will need options in that area.

With him we are closer to Barcelona and he helps sow the seed for getting even closer over the next 1-2 years. When we catch them we'll surpass them as I believe SAF has kind of cracked Europe!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Just got news that the legendary Wr8 has been banned from the transfer forum :(

Status
Not open for further replies.