West Ham vs Manchester United

Anduin

Am sure that was the game that sealed their fates though. Probably Kuszczak too.
I think Obertan's fate was sealed with the 1-0 win over Crawley... I think I've never seen a more inept Manchester United player than him in this game, not even Dong or Bebe at his worst. The Crawley player (at this time a League Two opponent IIRC) he played against literally shat on him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lindegaard
Jones Smalling Evans Buttner
Fletcher Scholes
Young -------- Kagawa
Welbeck - Hernandez​

I'd play that personally but I don't know how Fletcher is and I can see Valencia back in. Whether RVP plays also depends on two things, fitness and how seriously we are taking the Cup. If he's fit and fresh I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferguson play him and let him build on his already great form. Lindegaard and Buttner are surely certain for this as with Jones unless we're looking to get Rafaels fitness back up and it's a good match to rest Vidic and Ferdinand.

RonaldoVII

I think we need to start Van Persie. Without him up front we'll lack that edge of creativity, particularly with Rooney still out.

stubie

Amos, Macheda, really?

Squad players need a game, this game is not as important as what lies ahead in the coming weeks. We need to treat the FA Cup in the same manner as the League Cup imo.

Brightonian

We need to treat the FA Cup in the same manner as the League Cup imo.
No we shouldn't. We've got an eight day break after this match, for crying out loud. The FA Cup may not be a priority, and we can rest a couple of key people, but it's not a league cup game where you can just bring in a load of reserves. West Ham would walk all over that.

stubie

No we shouldn't. We've got an eight day break after this match, for crying out loud. The FA Cup may not be a priority, and we can rest a couple of key people, but it's not a league cup game where you can just bring in a load of reserves. West Ham would walk all over that.
Given the side I've picked, I'd fancy their chances against West Ham. A 15 day break between both Premier League games is a far healther position to be in as we should have a full squad (apart from Rooney) fit and fresh for the Liverpool game.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Squad players need a game, this game is not as important as what lies ahead in the coming weeks. We need to treat the FA Cup in the same manner as the League Cup imo.
Really?

What would we benefit from giving Macheda a game?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Most of the teams that i've seen so far in this thread i would expect us to lose with. I dunno if its arrogance or just that you don't care about the FA Cup. I certainly care. I want us to win this thing, its been far far too long. Strongest 11 please, resting a couple at most.

Aint gota Kalou

----------Lindegaard
Jones--Smalling--Vidic--Buttner
Valencia--Scholes--Fletcher--Young
-----------Kagawa
-----------Welbeck

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Assuming that Joe Cole and Carroll start for West Ham which is what is being reported i believe, will they rest Nolan and put Cole in his position tomrrow od you think?

steeeb

----------Lindegaard
Jones--Smalling--Vidic--Buttner
Valencia--Scholes--Fletcher--Young
-----------Kagawa
-----------Welbeck
I'm expecting something similar to this to be honest - with Carrick, RVP, Nandez etc on the bench and all 3 probably to feature at some point unless we are running away with it.

Alternatively, something like:

Lindegaard
Jones Smalling Evans Buttner
Valencia Fletcher Kagawa Young
Welbeck Hernandez

Would be a bit stronger, at least offensively.

Man-United

Assuming that Joe Cole and Carroll start for West Ham which is what is being reported i believe, will they rest Nolan and put Cole in his position tomrrow od you think?
Nolan was suspended against Norwich so I'm quite sure Allardyce will play him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Glad we're playing a strong-ish team for this one. I'd love us to win the FA Cup again, it's been too long.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hopefully Chamakh was signed in time and he plays.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
My 'ammers mates tell me Carroll is way off(playing that is, not target)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
These second string games don't excite me as much at present. Apart from Powell, my view is that most of the other U21s around are so far off the required level and don't really excite me at all.

I remember in years gone by I'd look forward to hopefuly seeing the likes of Rossi, King, Pique, Morrison, Pogba, Welbeck a young Macheda and others - but presently, the ones remotely near such levels are on loan, and the likes of Wooton, Macheda and Tunnicliffe are average at best in my view.

Drifter

American
United urged to end cup drought

Sir Alex Ferguson has been drilling it home to his Manchester United players that it is time their nine-year FA Cup drought came to an end.

After winning the competition four times in 10 years after Ferguson finally ended his United trophy drought by beating Crystal Palace in 1990, the Red Devils have secured it just once since.

The 2004 win over Millwall has been followed by disappointing final defeats to Arsenal and Chelsea and two semi-final losses, the most recent against Manchester City in 2011.

Of the current squad, only Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Darren Fletcher have winners' medals, and Ferguson has told his players that statistic needs to change.

"The manager has made the point to us that we have not done too well in the last few years," defender Chris Smalling said. "We need to make sure we get back on track in the competition.

"The league is going well and we're into the Champions League knockout stages, so we want to do well in this as well."

Smalling, 23, was less than six months old when Ferguson secured the first silverware of his illustrious reign after United beating Palace in the 1990 final replay at Wembley.

Since then, the advent and continued success of both the Premier League and Champions League have downgraded the FA Cup's status within the English game.

Yet Smalling still views it as a special tournament and certainly one he would want on his CV.

"The FA Cup has always been a massive competition," he said. "You've got the situation where lower league teams have the chance to play some of the top sides. It can be a real adventure."

Not that there is any romance to be had for United this weekend, just the knowledge that tomorrow's trip to West Ham promises to be hazardous in the extreme.

Born in Greenwich, Smalling has been exposed to West Ham from an early age, even if he was not a particular fan of them, or anyone, as a kid.

And he knows just how tough tomorrow's encounter is going to be.

"It wasn't the easiest draw we could have chosen. Sam Allardyce has got a good team together and done very well," Smalling said.

"The fans really get behind them, especially at Upton Park, which will make it more difficult for us. But it is always somewhere I have enjoyed playing and it will be a good atmosphere."

Havak

Pokemon master
Sad to hear that Rooney is missing this and Liverpool.

I would rather RvP was rested, but I think he's probably 50/50 to be on the bench just in case. Hernandez I reckon is 50/50 in terms of starting or being on the bench and the same for Kagawa. If Hernandez starts I reckon Danny will be on the wing, but I'd much rather he was given a chance as the lone striker with Powell or Kagawa behind him. Fletcher, Scholes, Buttner, and Vidic are probably certs.

Lindegaard
Jones Smalling Vidic Buttner
Fletcher Scholes
Valencia Kagawa Young
Welbeck
--
de Gea; Rafael, Evans; Powell, Giggs; Hernandez, van Persie​

As I said previously, if Anderson or Nani are close enough to being fit, put them in there (Giggs could make way since he played the full game against Wigan). If Jones is not fit, then we might see Rafael at Right Back, but I could see Smalling in there as West Ham have some pretty big players, and Evans just playing alongside Vidic at CB.

Also surprised that Ferdinand doesn't have an FA Cup Medal. I think players like Vidic, Rooney, van Persie, and Evra will be well up for one of these medals, but obviously the whole team will be too!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Is Diame fit?

If not we should walk this.
Once upon a time, Jonathan Spector single-handedly beat a Manchester United team at Upton Park...mainly because everyone thought we would 'walk it'...with a second string (which in fairness to you, you didn't say :wenger:)

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I think Obertan's fate was sealed with the 1-0 win over Crawley... I think I've never seen a more inept Manchester United player than him in this game, not even Dong or Bebe at his worst. The Crawley player (at this time a League Two opponent IIRC) he played against literally shat on him.
You mean to say he "literally" took a shit on Obertan?

Please, no gifs. Thanks!

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Once upon a time, Jonathan Spector single-handedly beat a Manchester United team at Upton Park...mainly because everyone thought we would 'walk it'...with a second string (which in fairness to you, you didn't say :wenger:)
That was quite a performance by the American defender, not soon forgotten.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
A little FA Cup stat for people. United have only been knocked out of the third round once in the Fergie era, this was to Leeds in 2009/10.

This was the team we fielded:
Kuszczak
Neville
Brown
Fabio
Evans
Anderson (Owen 69)
Gibson
Berbatov
Rooney
Welbeck (Valencia 57)
Obertan (Giggs 57)
The attitude of the respective sides and whether the balance of rotation is just so, can he unknown quantities until you get out there.

Shark

@NotShark
A little FA Cup stat for people. United have only been knocked out of the third round once in their history, this was to Leeds in 2009/10.

This was the team we fielded:

The attitude of the respective sides and whether the balance of rotation is just so, can he unknown quantities until you get out there.
That was a fecking miserable game. A 0-1 defeat at Old Trafford to that shower of shite.

At least we thumped them 0-3 at their place last season. :)

lunchforthesky

I'm hoping to see RVP and Kagawa start. West Ham away is a very tough game, if we take the piss and play a second string we will almost certainly lose. There's a possibility for a bit of rotation but Carrick and RVP need to start for me.