WFA Cup FINAL | United v Chelsea - 2:30 - Sun 14 May

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Our first final and it's against our toughest rivals.

By the end of the month we could have won a Cup/League double (or nothing) but the same is true of Chelsea. In the League, we have the points on the board but they have the games in hand.

In the Cup - it all gets decided on Sunday.

All tickets have been sold (mostly to "neutrals" way before the finalists were known) so let's just hope all those who bought tickets show up or pass their tickets on to someone who does.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm off to Wembley for this one - like you say, hope we don't see wasted tickets

Chelsea obviously favourites, but noticed that Sam Kerr limped out their match yesterday (although they still won with ease) and they have a match on Wednesday whereas we have a week to prepare so hopefully these factors can give us an edge

Demon Barber

I will be there as well. I bought tickets before we got to the final as I was fairly confident, but wanted to go regardless.

I agree that Chelsea are favourites, but only slightly so, and I do fancy our chances. Despite the fact that we narrowly lost both league games against them, we also beat the much fancied Arsenal home and away. There is a strength and togetherness in our squad and quality players in every position.

With Zelem back and unlike Chelsea, no mid-week game, five or six Lionesses who know how to win (and score) at Wembley, the No.1 goalkeeper in the World, confidence high after securing CL football next season, and the best goal difference in the WSL - we can do this!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's not the first time a United women's team has played at Wembley. The United Ladies team played there in the 90s - in exhibition games ahead of men's matches.

The Ladies team was disbanded when the Glazers took over the club leaving us without a senior women's team until the establishment of our professional team in 2018.

Demon Barber

It's not the first time a United women's team has played at Wembley. The United Ladies team played there in the 90s - in exhibition games ahead of men's matches.

The Ladies team was disbanded when the Glazers took over the club leaving us without a senior women's team until the establishment of our professional team in 2018.
I understand that, but none of our current players were born then.

One thing that pleased me is that Murtough/Stoney made a point of getting our youth players back after 2018. Well done to them.

Last edited:

croadyman

I'm off to Wembley for this one - like you say, hope we don't see wasted tickets

Chelsea obviously favourites, but noticed that Sam Kerr limped out their match yesterday (although they still won with ease) and they have a match on Wednesday whereas we have a week to prepare so hopefully these factors can give us an edge
Apparently was only cramp so fully expecting her to feature in both games this week

Demon Barber

Is this going to be televised here in the US or any stream service airing this? Don't want to miss this game
Hi - there are people better informed than me to answer this, but it is being streamed live on The FA Player app. No idea if it works in the US though.

It is also live on the BBC ... which probably doesn't help you much!

StretfordEnd78

Will the club put scarfs on seats like they did for the carabao cup final?
Not after a freebie just looked decent.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Will the club put scarfs on seats like they did for the carabao cup final?
Not after a freebie just looked decent.
The club have tended to do either flags or scarves for Wembley finals in recent times, although if they do it would only be in the small official club area (I think 8000 tickets) whereas it's a 30-40k allocation for the Men's matches

Grande

I understand that, but none of our current players were born then.

One thing that pleased me is that Murtough/Stoney made a point of getting our youth players back after 2018. Well done to them.
Yes, that was a good decision to nake up for a long string of bad ones on the part of Glazers.

it’s fantastic that girls like Katie Zelem and Ella Toone, who played youth football at United and was denied the possibility of even wearing the shirt once they passed 17, will now lead United out on Wembley for a cup final.

muller

Annoyingly now free on the day, held back on buying tickets as I was supposed to be coaching at a tournament - which has now been postponed. Looks liked theres no chance of tickets now!

United Hobbit

I'm going to this - tickets were an absolute steal price wise - I got mine through an email from United as I'm a member - it lets you then apply for tickets on our website

I've never been to Wembley as tickets for our men's team are impossible to get for finals etc

Wonder if the club will do the scarves for the supporters like they did for our carabao cup final - I really liked the design of it

muller

There are some on Twitter but there doesn't seem to be any official (or even good unofficial) mechanism for finding them.
Yeah i've seen. Certainly aren't making it easy. I even got to the point where I had 4 tickets in my basket and then didnt go through because I didnt want to take tickets away from people who could 100% go.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Was looking at the odds

Chelsea obviously favourites at EVENS
Draw 5/2
United 23/10

Just for comparison Man City are much strong favourites for the Mens final

MileStolar

So we have both women and men teams playing fa cup final, only a year after we won fa youth cup. Long time since we've had some fa cup love, hopefully it ends with two wins!

Demon Barber

Thanks @top1whoisman. I have watched so many interviews, behind-the-scenes, vlogs etc. with the women's team, and the cameraderie and sheer fun shines through.

I am quietly confident that that bonding and togetherness will see us through on Sunday.

Obviously Chelsea have quality and experience but I think they will be wary of our defensive grit and attacking flair. All of our front six are capable of scoring, our defense contributes to our attack, and we have good options on the bench.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I assume that United will go with the 11 that started against Arsenal a few weeks back. I think the only position in question is at CB to partner Le Tissier

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I assume that United will go with the 11 that started against Arsenal a few weeks back. I think the only position in question is at CB to partner Le Tissier
Yeah it's more or less obvious. Think Turner will get the nod.

Earps

Batlle - - - Le Tissier - - - Turner - - - Blundell

Zelem - - - Ladd

Parris - - - Toone - - - Galton

Russo​

StretfordEnd78

Morning Reds. Excitement building?
I‘d go with the team above also. The only change I’d consider is the inclusion of Boa Risa and move Tooney into a wide forward position with Galton / Russo.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Someone asked the other day about genuinely being interested in woman’s football, I genuinely feel such a connect with this team. They all seem to like each other and every time they talk about playing for United, their joy seems genuine. I compare that to the men where , there are so many prima donnas and a lot of what they say seems completely fake

RomfordRed75

Off to Wembley tomorrow with my daughter (it's her first time watching a match at Wembley).
We've been to a fair few games over the past couple of years and never seen them lose.
I have a feeling the girls just may well bring the cup home.

Reactions: jojojo