WFA Cup FINAL | United v Chelsea - 2:30 - Sun 14 May

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
A good effort but it was obvious Chelsea were waiting for the Wembley pitch to wear them out.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
So Chelsea use their experience to let United dominate for 45-60 minutes? It’s lazy stuff talking about cliches like this. Chelsea
Won because the scored from one of the few chances they had while we didn’t
No. We did well despite their experience. It is not the only factor either.

The experience usually shows when deciding a game. In the second half.

I’ve heard no-one say that the experience was the only factor. But there is a reason why Chelsea keep on winning trophies despite not playing great football.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
l

In the second half of the season, it’s been a huge struggle against any half decent team. We soundly beat teams like PSG, Real Madrid and City earlier in the season.

Anyway, commiserations to you all. I thought we were there for the taking but once Harder came on, it was a different performance from us.

United have impressed me a lot this season.
Yeah we struggled to get to grips with her.
Thought we played well overall, just lacked a bit in the Chelsea box and couldn't find that extra bit of quality when chasing the equaliser.

RedDevilQuebecois

So who do you think will improve our side even more? CL football will atttract players to us surely. We have to be braver in the wages department.
If it is for me, I would keep an eye on Diana Ordóñez. She was joint 4th top scorer in the NWSL last season, she is only 21 years old, and she has the height advantage at 5'11".

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If it is for me, I would keep an eye on Diana Ordóñez. She was joint 4th top scorer in the NWSL last season, she is only 21 years old, and she has the height advantage at 5'11".
If we lose Russo would she be enough or should we also be going for a Rachel Daly. If we lose Battle who is world class to replace her. It would need to be someone world class or we will not progress. We need to build on what we have not keep rebuilding.

The_Order

Commiseration to the ladies.
They did well.

hopefully, they can clinch the title.

DomesticTadpole

Commiseration to the ladies.
They did well.

hopefully, they can clinch the title.

Unfortunately that is looking unlikely, but CL football will be a big achievement for a team really in it's infancy. Now the powers that be need to make sure they do not undervalue the players with their wages and look to improve us even further.

RedDevilQuebecois

Unfortunately that is looking unlikely, but CL football will be a big achievement for a team really in it's infancy. Now the powers that be need to make sure they do not undervalue the players with their wages and look to improve us even further.
We don't have the fate of the title race in our hands as of now, but Chelsea still have to play West Ham and Arsenal. With some luck, Arsenal can be the fly in the ointment, especially when their last encounter ended with a resounding 3-1 win for Arsenal.

DomesticTadpole

We don't have the fate of the title race in our hands as of now, but Chelsea still have to play West Ham and Arsenal. With some luck, Arsenal can be the fly in the ointment, especially when their last encounter ended with a resounding 3-1 win for Arsenal.
Hopefully, but we have to take care of Manchester City.

Robertd0803

God damn it. Gutted for them especially considering the league is in Chelseas hands as well.

Demon Barber

I feel for our players but am so proud of them. I thought they played so well and were always on the front foot, trying constantly to break Chelsea down.

The atmosphere and occasion were both special, but it is just a pity that we did not win a game that I genuinely feel we did not deserve to lose.

I do not feel the need to single any player out - every single one of them deserves praise. I hope we do not lose Russo and/or Batlle as I feel that this squad is good enough to go on to great things.

Edit: singles someone out - that Earps save was outstanding!

Reactions: jojojo

SuperScoot

Thought I would wait a day, rather than comment on the back of the result.

Overriding emotion is pride. I thought the second half we could have managed a lot better but we made them look very ordinary in that first half, and it just shows how far this team has come in a really short space of time.

What struck me and my son, was the sheer number of Reds in and outside the stadium, I don't know the split but it felt to me like it was almost 2/3rds United outside the ground. The players must feel very privilidged to play for this magnificent club, the support, passion and belief is second to none - Men's and now Women's.........

They do the badge justice, which is all we can ask. Still an outside chance of the Title :)

Reactions: jojojo

StretfordEnd78

I felt pride too.
The initial disappointment lifted quite quicky and I realised I'd been part of a fantastic spectacle.
The team have progressed so much in recent months.
The first performance against Chelsea saw a tentative united side go down 1-3 at LSV.
Today united had the ball in the net in the first move of the game and they were the better side throughout the first half.
There's much to be positive about and to secure a CL place is no mean feat.

Reactions: Jippy

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Disappointing loss but not unexpected

Great start but didnt get the goal when we were on top - slightly disappointed in the likes of Toone and Russo who need to step up in games like this if we are going to win anything

Chelsea just have that winning experience and manager that sees them over the line - 2nd half subs swung the game to them, the goal was coming

Great to see a sold out Wembley for this though, would only have been half full for the same game a few years ago

Vanrouge

Especially catching up to City and Chelsea who only got to where they are because of Abramavich and state funding. Would be great if these 2 sh1t clubs could be knocked off their throne.
I was a little surprised today to learn that Chelsea's home support is so tepid in terms of attendances. This was the chart I saw:

Team - Avg Home Attendance
Arsenal - 19235
Manchester United - 13943
Everton - 11914
Manchester City - 8540
Chelsea FC - 7924
Liverpool FC - 6527
Aston Villa - 3627
Brighton & Hove Albion - 3462
Reading - 2697
Tottenham Hotspur - 1957
West Ham United - 1875
Leicester City - 1237

Given their success, those numbers are a bit shameful for City and Chelsea.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I was a little surprised today to learn that Chelsea's home support is so tepid in terms of attendances. This was the chart I saw:

Team - Avg Home Attendance
Arsenal - 19235
Manchester United - 13943
Everton - 11914
Manchester City - 8540
Chelsea FC - 7924
Liverpool FC - 6527
Aston Villa - 3627
Brighton & Hove Albion - 3462
Reading - 2697
Tottenham Hotspur - 1957
West Ham United - 1875
Leicester City - 1237

Given their success, those numbers are a bit shameful for City and Chelsea.
Is that this seasons numbers?

Chelsea Women play at Kingsmeadow - full capacity is 4,850

I assume Arsenal and United numbers are skewed by the couple of matches played at Emirates and OT - I think 12,000 is full capacity at LSV and its rarely full anyway

Vanrouge

Is that this seasons numbers?

Chelsea Women play at Kingsmeadow - full capacity is 4,850

I assume Arsenal and United numbers are skewed by the couple of matches played at Emirates and OT - I think 12,000 is full capacity at LSV and its rarely full anyway
I honestly don't remember where I saw them; I just found them surprising and copied them earlier in the day and then saw they were relevant to a reply I got in this thread and pasted them here.

Edited to add the link I found again in my browser history.

Remember, it's average home attendance, so even though the average is higher than the capacity, Chelsea also played a game at Stamford Bridge in front of 42,000, so that alone will have bumped their average higher than the capacity at Kingsmeadow (I'm too lazy and numerically challenged to do the math, though).

Last edited:

croadyman

The league got taken out of our hands by drawing at home to Everton and taking nothing from Chelsea in either game unfortunately

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just a link for people interested in the crowds for United and Chelsea:
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/chelsea-women/attendances
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/manchester-united-women/attendances

At best Chelsea's numbers are erratic, with some surprisingly small turnouts in there. It's worth keeping in mind those are just Chelsea's home WSL matches though. They reached the finals of both cups and they got to the SF of the WCL. That means lots of midweek matches and a lot of clashes with other big televised matches including their own men's team - and all played at a ground miles away from Chelsea.

In terms of matches played at the club main stadium Arsenal lead the way - but several teams have had 40k plus crowds. United haven't broken 30k at OT yet.

In terms of matches played at the women's team's main stadium, we do well (as do Arsenal, but in a smaller stadium). Crowds are now over 5k at the bigger games at LSV which is already putting a lot of strain on parking and public transport - crowd and traffic management is going to need improvements there.

Women's club football really is a young game when it comes to building up those big reliable home crowds - especially given a lot of the stadia aren't big, are miles away from the club's home and may not be that easy to reach or that well equipped for big crowds.