WFA Cup SF | United 2-1 Chelsea - we're going to Wemb-er-ley

Lightbringer

Is it true that Geyse refused to celebrate with the team and instead went down the tunnel to protest against not being played in the match? Just read that on facebook, obviously I was not there so I have no means of verifying it.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Wow, had to miss the game and just saw the result - amazing!

Skinner in? :lol:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Fair play. In terms of fight and attitude I agree that we deserved it.

If we were in your shoes and our opponents won it like that I’d be pretty frustrated.

But of course there’s no one single way to win football matches and we haven’t beaten you until today so whatever it takes I guess.
I'm conscious that we've played better against Chelsea and lost. We've deserved to win more than one of them, so it's only fair :D

FlexoRodriguez

I would guess so. I read that United get 12k tickets so they'll probably do ST holders first. It'll be a narrow window though.
Cheers, am working from home this week, so F5 from 9-5!

Still buzzing, I’ve never been any good a shouting so I’m going to have a squeaky voice for a couple of days. Should be fine for May though!

Ubik

Skinner got the contract extension, no? Great boost!
Supposedly just an offer at the moment, and I've seen (very unsubstantiated) rumours it's only a year extention. For me the league season and general atmosphere have been bad enough that I still want him to go, but I really can't see the new bods doing a van Gaal with him, should we win the cup.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Just back from the match, I had no hope for win given the form and history - ecstatic to be there for first ever win over them

Credit to Skinner too, always criticised for the poor big game record so nice to see his selection of Williams & Garcia pay off

I thought there would be a higher attendance but atmosphere was decent enough

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Is it true that Geyse refused to celebrate with the team and instead went down the tunnel to protest against not being played in the match? Just read that on facebook, obviously I was not there so I have no means of verifying it.
Yeah she wasn’t on the pitch with the rest of the team. Can’t we just swap hers and Malard’s contract situations?

Ubik

I'm assuming Clinton can't play against us in the final?

city-puma

Supposedly just an offer at the moment, and I've seen (very unsubstantiated) rumours it's only a year extention. For me the league season and general atmosphere have been bad enough that I still want him to go, but I really can't see the new bods doing a van Gaal with him, should we win the cup.
What’s the fundamental issues this season? After the CL exit, all seemly went downhill.

top1whoisman

Scout
Started the season a bit under par, but she's kept us in a lot of matches this season.
It was so good to see her celebrate like crazy after the full-time whistle. Her body language after the summer wasn’t positive at all and she’ll likely leave at the end of the season, but it was lovely to see how happy she was today. At least she’s giving her best until we part ways.

brian017

It was so good to see her celebrate like crazy after the full-time whistle. Her body language after the summer wasn’t positive at all and she’ll likely leave at the end of the season, but it was lovely to see how happy she was today. At least she’s giving her best until we part ways.
Shame that she’s most likely off. We need to stop haemorrhaging our best players Summer after Summer if we are ever to be serious contenders for the WSL

top1whoisman

Scout

And when they ask about me, tell them that I'm out there pursuing my dreams, being happy in my own company and working for the life I know I deserve.
That's my priority.

Demon Barber

I'm pretty sure I saw her on the pitch celebrating, despite what somebody else posted.

Anyway - tremendous result. Earps and the back four were brilliant throughout. Maya really impressed me with her tactical thuggery, and I loved the fact that our refusal to allow them to play annoyed every single one of the commentators/pundits. They really took bias to a new level today.

I find Lauren James really obnoxious. Turner was very professional and restrained. She also did not put a foot wrong. Superb performance.

Fair play to Skinner. He has taken some flak but today he got it absolutely right.

Wembley here we come! Oh, and I think we should allow Clinton to play!

top1whoisman

Scout
I'm pretty sure I saw her on the pitch celebrating, despite what somebody else posted.

Anyway - tremendous result. Earps and the back four were brilliant throughout. Maya really impressed me with her tactical thuggery, and I loved the fact that our refusal to allow them to play annoyed every single one of the commentators/pundits. They really took bias to a new level today.

I find Lauren James really obnoxious. Turner was very professional and restrained. She also did not put a foot wrong. Superb performance.

Fair play to Skinner. He has taken some flak but today he got it absolutely right.

Wembley here we come! Oh, and I think we should allow Clinton to play!
Went through the whole clip in this tweet and unless she’s somewhere else celebrating by herself I don’t think she was there.

top1whoisman

Scout
Just so I'm not misunderstanding. Is that the text of a deleted tweet from Geyse or is it a tweet from someone else?
Yeah it’s her tweet (translated). Triple-checked the url and it’s correct but it won’t transfer here as usual. It’s still up on her twitter.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Yeah it’s her tweet (translated). Triple-checked the url and it’s correct but it won’t transfer here as usual. It’s still up on her twitter.
Ah, that's sad. I've just taken a quick look at:
https://twitter.com/geyse_ferreiraa
And I don't see it now.

But her posts all week seem to be in the same vein. Sounds like something has gone wrong and she's feeling pretty low.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
That’s weird, I can see it. Geo-blocked, maybe she doesn’t want people in the UK to see it? :wenger:

Not in the UK at the moment, some quirk with my Twitter account or browser maybe.

it’s the first tweet
Not for me.

At any rate it's pretty obvious she's feeling low.

The rumour was already going around that's she's leaving at the end of the season. Whether that's a rumour that's a rumour because of something she's said or it's something someone at United said about her I don't know. It does sound like something has gone wrong though.

croadyman

Finally we laid a glove on Chelsea in a match and just look at the outcome of doing that. Hope we don't look past Spurs and think we have won the trophy already.

Lightbringer

Not in the UK at the moment, some quirk with my Twitter account or browser maybe.

Not for me.

At any rate it's pretty obvious she's feeling low.

The rumour was already going around that's she's leaving at the end of the season. Whether that's a rumour that's a rumour because of something she's said or it's something someone at United said about her I don't know. It does sound like something has gone wrong though.
The question is if this problem is more to with herself than Skinner or United? I tend to think thats the case. She has had a bad body language on the pitch from game 1, and its possible that she just is not very mature if the way she handles herself or when facing adversity. Moody and a bit spoiled?

Just wanted to point that out before everyone assumes Skinner allegedly has "mistreated" another player. If she refused to celebrate with the team on the biggest win of the season then I would not be afraid to say her ego is too big for United.

How hard can it be to be a professional and be happy for the fans, her teammates who are also her friends? And the twitter posts also reeks entitlement!

I do not know Geyse so I cant tell for sure, but to me it does reflect very badly on her!

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The question is if this problem is more to with herself than Skinner or United? I tend to think thats the case. She has had a bad body language on the pitch from game 1, and its possible that she just is not very mature if the way she handles herself or when facing adversity. Moody and a bit spoiled?

Just wanted to point that out before everyone assumes Skinner allegedly has "mistreated" another player. If she refused to celebrate with the team on the biggest win of the season then I would not be afraid to say her ego is too big for United.

How hard can it be to be a professional and be happy for the fans, her teammates who are also her friends? And the twitter posts also reeks entitlement!

I do not know Geyse so I cant tell for sure, but to me it does reflect very badly on her!
I think people often overanalyse stuff like body language and Twitter posts (especially translation from foreign language) as we can't quite be sure what exactly is going on in their heads - see similar with Marcus Rashford.

Still it's not a good look if she didnt want to join the squad for post match celebrations.

More important is how she performs on the pitch and I'd say it's been a disappointing season for her, An exciting player on the ball but the final pass/shot is usually wasted.

Unlike other new players she can't complain about lack of opportunities either as Skinner played her a lot . I think this must be the first time that she was in the squad but didn't get any minutes.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

I'm not sure it relates to Skinner or even to United. The tweets I read could even be her talking about something going on in her personal life, though I doubt it given she must be aware of the reaction from the fans from the replies.

I'm just conscious that it lines up with the rumour that she'll be leaving at the end of the season. Did she ask for assurances about something? Did we make her a promise (football or otherwise) that we couldn't keep? Did we tell her we were bringing in new players and she might be pushed out of starting lineups?

At any rate, not staying around to enjoy the win with the team and the fans is sad - it may mean that she doesn't feel part of the club in the way I hoped. I'm guessing it does mean she's leaving. I hope we'll see her play again, because I love her style, but maybe we won't even get that.

Demon Barber

I think people often overanalyse stuff like body language and Twitter posts (especially translation from foreign language) as we can't quite be sure what exactly is going on in their heads - see similar with Marcus Rashford.

Still it's not a good look if she didnt want to join the squad for post match celebrations.

More important is how she performs on the pitch and I'd say it's been a disappointing season for her, An exciting player on the ball but the final pass/shot is usually wasted.

Unlike other new players she can't complain about lack of opportunities either as Skinner played her a lot . I think this must be the first time that she was in the squad but didn't get any minutes.
I am sure you had a good day out. I thought the crowd were excellent despite a lot of empty seats. Emma Hayes sounded a bit concerned about our support before the game and mentioned it again post-match.

I agree that Geyse has had a mediocre season as far as stats go, but she is an exciting player with so much to offer. It seems that all is not right - I guess we will find out in time.

Edit: just phoned the ticket office because I thought cup final tickets were going on sale today. I was told by the end of the week.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The next United Hour podcast features Natalie Burrell and she reminded me that the final clashes with the Men's home game with Arsenal - this clash is again the kind of thing that NewCo need to plan to avoid

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The next United Hour podcast features Natalie Burrell and she reminded me that the final clashes with the Men's home game with Arsenal - this clash is again the kind of thing that NewCo need to plan to avoid
Yep, that was one of the first things I noticed when I checked my calendar. I don't know how much formal influence NewCo will have on WFA Cup planning, but the extra attention might help. Once announced, it's hard to shift a Sky broadcast match especially as the police and others need to agree.

Lifting the 3pm Saturday protected TV timeslot rule to allow women's football to broadcast then could help, with a bit of negotiating. Or maybe even the radical solution - last weekend of the season - WFA Cup one day, FA Cup the other and no PL or WSL!

top1whoisman

Scout
4:59- you can see Geyse ignoring a staff member. I totally agree that we don’t know what’s going in players’ lives etc., just saying it’s not a great look at all. The team just beat the best team in England for the first time and made it to a cup final at Wembley. That’s CR7-esque.

Scanny

This was a backs against the wall and run your socks off kind of game for United.
It wasn’t a game for the luxury of Geyse.
But today is not a day to focus on that.
I’m still on a high from beating Chelsea for the first time and getting to the final for the second year running.