What’s Real Madrid’s secret?

Bestofthebest

So, have Spurs and Liverpool sack their manager yet?
This is a reply to the question "what's Real Madrids Secret?" The fact that Spurs and Liverpool have not sacked their manager yet could be the same as why Utd. have not sacked their manager yet. That answer could be that they have all accepted mediocrity.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It boils down to having the best team

Players like Modric, Ronaldo, Bale etc are a star player that can win you match, Real have not 1, but 3 of them. Not to mention quality across the pitch, and no "youngster" with prospect bullshit, they play the best player available now, now the potentially becoming best player (cough...martial)

They have a solid manager, and some luck, and consistency on top of it.
Actually, they built that team with "youngsters with prospect" who made msitakes but stayed in the team in the last 7 to 10 years, that's why Varane, Marcelo, Isco, Ramos or Carvajal are now experienced and confident players. They are doing the same with Asensio.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
the structure. It starts at the top with the directors - they invest, they go out and actively get the best players available (and unavailable). They make new signings feel like superstars, give them the lifestyle
Sure they chop and change managers but you could argue that again they go for the best and it keeps them fresh.

Cloud7

So, have Spurs and Liverpool sack their manager yet?
We were talking about Madrid, not Spurs or Pool, but nice to see where your mind is at.

Also Ramos was brought into the Madrid team as a youngster, he wasn’t signed as the best CB in the world. Benzema joined as a 21 year old, LITERALLY lauded as one of the “best potential player” that you mock and was given time to grow, Marcelo who went there as an 18 year old and is now called arguably the best LB ever, not to mention Varane, Carvajal, Isco and more recently Asensio. So you may want to revise your point.

promisedlanchiao

Real are so good in Europe just plain because they are good and in my opinion the best team in the world.

Firstly, look at their squad. We (United) are for sure in the top 11 (at least) best teams in the world, yet only probably two (De Gea and Pogba) of our current players would still stay in the first team if Madrid dissolved and all of their players came to us. And this is adding on to the fact that their team is literally full of winners with experience who have been there and done that.

Also, look at their managers. This is a ruthless club where great manager after great manager comes in and if there is one and a half bad seasons or trophyless seasons which he has seen through, he’s sacked. Now, it seems like they have found the perfect fit for them, a club legend during his playing days with an ego of a King to deal with billy-big-balls players and an amount of footballing knowledge which comes close to the even the best football manager ever to grace the Earth, SAF. Look at their dressing room harmony as well. There is not a single player in that dressing room who doesn’t respect Zidane.

Lastly, can I also just say that they do not have more luck than other top teams. Sure, they do get more favourable refereeing decisions than the others, but look at the teams that they have had to face in their past three Champions League winning seasons, Bayern, juventus, psg, atletico etc etc. In all of those games, they have outclassed their opponents in at least one of the legs and as a result progressed further into the tournament.

In conclusion, Madrid are just a brilliant team.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
A really good squad and incredible amounts of look/favoritism by the refs. They have won it three times in a row, but i don't rate them as highly as you would imagine. I rate Pep's Barca much higher. That's mostly because of how they won the titles. Last year was at least dodgy against Bayern, but this year takes the cake. Beats the Chelsea triumph in terms of ridiculousness in my opinion.

The Offside goal against PSG, the Neymar injury, Higuain being Higuain in that 3:0 and then Real being awarded that penalty, getting outplayed by Bayern for almost 180 minutes but getting through because of ridiculous individual mistakes and a weak ref and finally that clusterfeck of a final.
From the 7 goals they scored in the semis and the final, 4 were basically own goals.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Actually, they built that team with "youngsters with prospect" who made msitakes but stayed in the team in the last 7 to 10 years, that's why Varane, Marcelo, Isco, Ramos or Carvajal are now experienced and confident players. They are doing the same with Asensio.
Lol. They're all bought for big money my friend, apart from Ramos

LInkash

Whenever Madrid win a win a Champions League, I can't help but think about what could've been if we had kept Ronaldo :(

JPRouve

Scout
Lol. They're all bought for big money my friend, apart from Ramos
Fee has nothing to do with it, they bought players for their potential who were far from ready and needed several seasons. Also you clearly have no clue, check Ramos fee and the year they bought him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Ramos was integrated by Capello and converted into a CB by Mourinho.
Varane was integrated by Mourinho
Marcelo was integrated by Pelegrini
Isco and Carvajal were integrated by Ancellotti

None of these managers are particularly good with youth. So how did Madrid do it? It's genuinely amazing what they've done.

Cloud7

Fee has nothing to do with it, they bought players for their potential who were far from ready and needed several seasons. Also you clearly have no clue, check Ramos fee and the year they bought him.
I made similar points and still yet to get a reply. Anything to try and defend the methods of the current regime I suppose, even ignoring the truth.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

They buy the best players in the world. Hence they can bring in someone like Zidane who has no experience as a manager. All he has to do is keep the players happy.

However they do have some advantages. They can buy the best players from South America because of the language, weather and the stupid work permit restrictions in the UK.

They have had assistance by the Spanish government with financing. See the training ground being to them when needing money and how Bale’s transfer was funded.

And I know I’ll get some stick for this but they for sure get favourable refereeing decisions. Over the last 3 seasons in the knockout part of the Champions League there have been some unbelievable decisions that have gone their way. It’s more likely their players are just very good at diving or being theatrical but I cannot believe referees still fool for it every game. The Bayern game last season was a travesty. Vidal getting sent off for nothing and a couple of offside goals.

IrishRedDevil

A team full of winners. They would never accept averageness over a prolonged period of years such as the like of Young or Fellaini.

MalcolmTucker

They have the best team in the world but they have had luck, it's undeniable and saying it all evens out is just a platitude - the world is indifferent and there isn't a cosmic force that balances everything out. In the last 2 CL games, the highest level of club football, they have had 3 of the worst goalkeeping errors I have seen. It's insane.

JPRouve

Scout
Ramos was integrated by Capello and converted into a CB by Mourinho.
Varane was integrated by Mourinho
Marcelo was integrated by Pelegrini
Isco and Carvajal were integrated by Ancellotti

None of these managers are particularly good with youth. So how did Madrid do it? It's genuinely amazing what they've done.
I have no idea about the point of this post. He said that Real Madrid didn't had youngsters with prospect(I assume that it means potential). That's wrong.

dove

Well balanced and quality squad full of winners and players with great mentality. We usually collapse when going 1-0 down with no chance of a comeback (it's slightly better now with Jose but still not quite there yet) meanwhile they just don't care and keep on playing their game which ultimately leads to success most of the time. They have a very experienced squad, most of their core players are in 30s and it's just a perfect example for those who are constantly whining when we are linked with 29+ year old players, that you need to have an experienced core.

Cloud7

Well balanced and quality squad full of winners and players with great mentality. We usually collapse when going 1-0 down with no chance of a comeback (it's slightly better now with Jose but still not quite there yet) meanwhile they just don't care and keep on playing their game which ultimately leads to success most of the time. They have a very experienced squad, most of their core players are in 30s and it's just a perfect example for those who are constantly whining when we are linked with 29+ year old players, that you need to have an experienced core.
Literally every single one of those players were signed in their early to mid 20s, not when they were 29+.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I have no idea about the point of this post. He said that Real Madrid didn't had youngsters with prospect(I assume that it means potential). That's wrong.
You are right is what I meant. Real Madrid do not give much control to their managers, they force transfers on them and part of this is getting top talent in their early 20s and making them world class.

JPRouve

Scout
You are right is what I meant. Real Madrid do not give much control to their managers, they force transfers on them and part of this is getting top talent in their early 20s and making them world class.
Oh sorry, I was confused by the mention of managers when it's about the club. Sorry.:)

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Oh sorry, I was confused by the mention of managers when it's about the club. Sorry.:)
Atleast we are on the right track. Players like Lindelof, Bailly, Pogba, Lukaku, Rashford, Martial (hopefully), Lingard should stay long term at the club. They have shown that they can atleast be squad players at the right level and grow into top players or are already top players.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is a reply to the question "what's Real Madrids Secret?" The fact that Spurs and Liverpool have not sacked their manager yet could be the same as why Utd. have not sacked their manager yet. That answer could be that they have all accepted mediocrity.
I was replying to somone who's making a dig on jose mourinho on a madrid thread

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
City are better than Liverpool, Barca are better than Real. Unfortunately this year’s two finalists seem to have a knack of getting there.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We were talking about Madrid, not Spurs or Pool, but nice to see where your mind is at.

Also Ramos was brought into the Madrid team as a youngster, he wasn’t signed as the best CB in the world. Benzema joined as a 21 year old, LITERALLY lauded as one of the “best potential player” that you mock and was given time to grow, Marcelo who went there as an 18 year old and is now called arguably the best LB ever, not to mention Varane, Carvajal, Isco and more recently Asensio. So you may want to revise your point.
We're talking about madrid and yet you need to butt it sticking a dig at mourinho.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I made similar points and still yet to get a reply. Anything to try and defend the methods of the current regime I suppose, even ignoring the truth.
Take your mourinho agenda somewhere else will you? This is a madrid thread. I was commenting honestly on madrid. And you feel the need to drag this and make this about mourinho regime (wow!).

Ignoring the truth? What truth? That madrid is the bastion of youth developers? While we're the skeletor that sucks the life of of youth players?

Stocar

They have an immensely talented and very balanced squad. They are also incredibly resilient, one of those teams that are always able to snatch a win when they've been outplayed.

But they also often lack structure in their game, and are consequently very inconsistent. Their league record, the most reliable indicator of quality, is an evidence of that.

Their recent European record is very much due to an incredible amount of luck. Sometimes a team will have a season where everything goes their way on the road to the European title. But they've just had not two, but three of these, where literally everything fell in the right place for them.

JPRouve

Scout
Do madrid plays them on the final when they're 19 or 20?
They put them in SF, they didn't reach the finals until Ancelotti. But the point is that it's a process, you don't pop up in a final, there is a journey to take and in the case of Real Madrid that journey has been built around very young prospect that grew with the team and young WC players who also grew with the team but were ready to take big roles, Kroos, Modric, Ronaldo or Bale.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
They put them in SF, they didn't reach the finals until Ancelotti. But the point is that it's a process, you don't pop up in a final, there is a journey to take and in the case of Real Madrid that journey has been built around very young prospect that grew with the team and young WC players who also grew with the team but were ready to take big roles, Kroos, Modric, Ronaldo or Bale.
And we didnt with lingard? Martial? Mctominay? Rashford?

Cait Sith

Luck with draws, luck with refereeing decisions, luck with key players of opponents all missing or getting injured and luck with opponents making Sunday League level mistakes in 3 consecutive games which you have never seen before at this level in CL semi finals and a CL final. Luck to a degree that it looks all set up (I actually put a bet on Salah getting injured in this game). Really, nothing more to it.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Their midfield is immense. It literally has everything you want in a midfield, technique, balance, grit, energy and Modric.
They have the best fullback in the world and a 33 year old "past it" forward who had a "shit season" and still managed 50 goals.
They're just a fantastic team, full of winners.