What’s Real Madrid’s secret?

Cloud7

Take your mourinho agenda somewhere else will you? This is a madrid thread. I was commenting honestly on madrid. And you feel the need to drag this and make this about mourinho regime (wow!).

Ignoring the truth? What truth? That madrid is the bastion of youth developers? While we're the skeletor that sucks the life of of youth players?
You brought it off topic by mentioning Martial first, I was simply responding in kind. Why don’t you take your Martial agenda somewhere else?

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
(a) They're the biggest club in the world, with a massive budget, and have no ethos other than attracting as many superstar players as possible. They have no commitment to developing youth players, balancing their books, or producing Spanish talent, they just sign anyone and everyone that they possibly can completely regardless of cost. If they get in trouble financially, the government bails them out.

(b) They particularly value the Champions League / European Cup, partly because they were one of the founder entrants and won / vultured it the first five times it was held, so they prioritise it.

(c) They've won very little in Spanish domestic football in recent years, and were dreadful in the league this season, so this has enabled them to completely concentrate on Europe.

(d) They expect to win, they instil this in their players, and those who play for them tend to have massive self-belief, otherwise they can't play for Real Madrid in the first place. This means that they can win any game against anyone, even when they're outplayed, as we've seen this season.

Falklander

I think adding Kroos and especially Modric was crucial,they started their current winning run when those 2 were integrated,you just cant touch them.

DeGea

Easy question. Ronaldo is the reason they are successful.

And also the fact that they just spend whatever they want. For years.

Falklander

They didnt start their current run until they sorted midfield with Modric and Kroos,so those 2+Ronaldo is main reason,its fantastic combination

JSArsenal

Quality players in every position in the first XI.

Better bench players than most teams have in their first team. The likes of Bale, Asensio and Kovavic would start for almost any other club.

The real difference is though, is that its very likely that they will go out and improve on this team. A team that just won 3 CLs back to back, yet some other clubs don't believe that they need any additions to compete. That is the mentality of Real, nothing is ever enough and they are always improving, reaching for more. I wish Arsenal had half of their ambition and drive to be the best.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
People might talk about how they got lucky to get an easy draw in 2016 or with injuries this year but they've been unlucky with those things too.

In 2010 they were eliminated when they needed 1 goal against Lyon, in 2011 when they needed 2 goals against Barcelona, in 2012 they went out on penalties, in 2013 they needed 1 goal vs Dortmund, in 2015 they needed 1 goal vs Juve. Even when they're eliminated it could have easily gone the other way and they have had injuries to key players too. They could have won it in 2012 and lost in 2016 for example but 4 Champions League titles does reflect how well they've performed throughout the years in the Champions League.

In 2016 they got unlucky with injuries and people said they got lucky because of the draw. In 2018 they got lucky with injuries but got unlucky with the draw. Every team gets lucky as every team will have these things go for them at some point but people only care about it if you win.

Giggs' right foot

Lazy conclusion.
Yeah Ronaldo and Bale were recordbreakers, Modric and Ramos were expensive at the time but come on, look at their squad in the final. Asensio = €3.5mil. Kroos = €25mil. Marcelo = €6.5. Varane = €10mil. Casemiro = €6mil. All fantastic bargains + they have a handfull academy players on the bench as squad depths. I'm not one of those United fans that's basically bigger RM fans but credit where credit is due, when they buy so well that basically Liverpool had the most expensive starting lineup of the two.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Signing Kroos was crucial but so was integrating Carvajal at RB and signing Bale to complete Real's offense. Overall, just astute business.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They don't approach games where they think they are the underdog, that level of belief and confidence along with quality all over the pitch can take you places. Zidane is a wonderful manager to keep their motivation levels up for 3 straight European campaigns.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Having Ronaldo is the secret in my opinion. They hadn’t even got out the last 16 for years before he joined. They’ve managed to build a team around the best goal-scorer of all time. Everyone has seen them as the club to be at while he is there. It’s the same with Barcelona and Messi.

Laurentiu amt

Real Madrid’s secret? Whisper it, but they are funded by the state:wenger:
Both Barca and RM are funded by the state, at least that s what i ve learned whilr living in Spain for a short while.

@OP, the secret is.no secret. Keep the same players, same manager -> players ate happy, competition is healthy and so on.

Yes they ve had some luck and some decisions going for them, but that s part of the game. It s not the players fault.

They changed their idiotical galactico aproach for one that cand build for the future, that takes some b@lls tbh.

AshRK

Hate them but they have top players in almost every position. You are bound to win trophies if you have such a world class side. Their players dont need motivation like our players who hide behind manager. Infact not o ly just many team's players just like to hide behind their manager , not with this madrid side.

Rajma

High standards and no mercy. Smallinng, Jones, Fellaini, Lingard, etc. wouldn’t have survived more than a year in that club but around here they are still defended by considerable chunk of poeple.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
A really good squad and incredible amounts of look/favoritism by the refs. They have won it three times in a row, but i don't rate them as highly as you would imagine. I rate Pep's Barca much higher. That's mostly because of how they won the titles. Last year was at least dodgy against Bayern, but this year takes the cake. Beats the Chelsea triumph in terms of ridiculousness in my opinion.

The Offside goal against PSG, the Neymar injury, Higuain being Higuain in that 3:0 and then Real being awarded that penalty, getting outplayed by Bayern for almost 180 minutes but getting through because of ridiculous individual mistakes and a weak ref and finally that clusterfeck of a final.
From the 7 goals they scored in the semis and the final, 4 were basically own goals.
How they won the titles? After the Stanford Bridge Scandal? Bernabeu Scandal? Arsenal's Scandal?! :houllier:

Lol. They're all bought for big money my friend, apart from Ramos
Really??! Asensio = €3.5mil. Kroos = €25mil. Marcelo = €6.5. Varane = €10mil. Casemiro = €6mil. Isco = €30mil. Vasquez = €1.5mil. Benzema = €35mil. Kovacic = €30mil. Ceballos = €16.5mil. Carvajal = €6.5mil.

City are better than Liverpool, Barca are better than Real. Unfortunately this year’s two finalists seem to have a knack of getting there.
Barca better than Real?!

Of course!! Specially because they had been eliminated of the UCL on quarterfinals in 4 of the last 5 seasons and Madrid won the final in that 4 seasons...

Real Madrid’s secret? Whisper it, but they are funded by the state:wenger:
Really?! Look up I posted what they spent in more than half of his team.

(a) They're the biggest club in the world, with a massive budget, and have no ethos other than attracting as many superstar players as possible. They have no commitment to developing youth players, balancing their books, or producing Spanish talent, they just sign anyone and everyone that they possibly can completely regardless of cost. If they get in trouble financially, the government bails them out.

(b) They particularly value the Champions League / European Cup, partly because they were one of the founder entrants and won / vultured it the first five times it was held, so they prioritise it.

(c) They've won very little in Spanish domestic football in recent years, and were dreadful in the league this season, so this has enabled them to completely concentrate on Europe.

(d) They expect to win, they instil this in their players, and those who play for them tend to have massive self-belief, otherwise they can't play for Real Madrid in the first place. This means that they can win any game against anyone, even when they're outplayed, as we've seen this season.
Hahahahaha oh my God! :lol::houllier:

I'm sure this guy has been in an unhabited island for the last 15 years!

(a) was the most ridiculous post in months!

You know that apart from Bale and Cristiano (Madrid paid €100 and €90 mil. respectively for them) their most expensive player they have bought in all their whole squad was Benzema, and they only paid €35mil. for him??

Or that from their squad, Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo, Casemiro, Isco, Benzema, Asensio, Vasquez, Kovacic, Ceballos, Llorente, Vallejo, Luca, Archraf, Mayoral, Nacho and Theo Hernandez (19 out of 25) were bought when they where 21 or younger??

And that from all that youngsters they developed, Carvajal, Ramos, Isco, Asensio, Vazquez, Ceballos, Llorente, Vallejo, Nacho and Mayoral are Spanish??

Please, connect your brain to your fingers before writting all that shite!

Deleted member 101472

You can say a lot about Madrid and the benefits they have gotten from the hierarchy in Spain, but the truth is in footballing terms, they’ve earned their place as the biggest club in the world. The 5 European cups in the late 50s laid the foundations, and they’ve jusy always had an unbelievable pull because of that.

A large part of their first team squad now have more champions league winners medals than our club. They have a winning mentality and they will be there or thereabouts for the foreseeable future. Would surprise me if they got to 20 champions leagues in the next 20 years.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I like your coping mechanism, but they have been head and shoulders above you yesterday as one sided final as you will see.
Maybe it is a coping mechanism and I'm blinded - but it seems to me that everything conspired to work against us and for them yesterday. Salah injury and then mistakes you don't expect from a Sunday league keeper (literally). You couldn't have written it.

Dr. StrangeHate

Ramos was integrated by Capello and converted into a CB by Mourinho.
Varane was integrated by Mourinho
Marcelo was integrated by Pelegrini
Isco and Carvajal were integrated by Ancellotti

None of these managers are particularly good with youth. So how did Madrid do it? It's genuinely amazing what they've done.
The managers are not given complete control of the teams. Real buy players and the managers have to use them over the season as per orders. I think Zidane is the only manager that seems to have been given free reign. Buying the best possible young talent in the world and everyone wanting to play for you helps.
As someone else mentioned standards of the fans is a factor as well. Whole of our squad except De Gea would have been kicked out by now. Moyes would have been kicked out after the crossing game. Van Gaal after the defeat against Wolfsburg. Mourinho after the defeat against Sevilla.

Rajma

Maybe it is a coping mechanism and I'm blinded - but it seems to me that everything conspired to work against us and for them yesterday. Salah injury and then mistakes you don't expect from a Sunday league keeper (literally). You couldn't have written it.
I agree you were unfortunate - Real, however, never really had to up the gear as they were so comfortable with how things were panning out.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They have luck, every team does, but what sets them apart is their strong winning mentality. Madrid, like every other team, have had matches where they have utterly outplayed the opposition but, unlike other teams, they haven't had matches where they have missed a lot of chances and made errors that have cost them the tie.

That has been the difference between them and to me their closet rival in Europe, Bayern. If Bayern had that winning mentality Real have had for the past few years, they wouldn't have allowed Madrid to win those two ties. But, Bayern missed easy chances and then made poor errors which gave Madrid the win.

Madrid simply do not give you freebies into the game. You not only have to play your socks off to beat them but also not make errors, which no team has managed to do thus far.

What separates Madrid from Barca of Pep is that I think it's easier to dominate Real, like Bayern and Juve did, than it was against Barca. Barca didn't look as vulnerable as Real have been, Barca may have lost in those years but it was usually down to a team playing extremely defensively and getting the goal on the counter. I don't think, maybe other than Inter 1st leg in 2010, they had been outplayed in matches during the 2009-2011 period.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Someone in here once said that everytime they seem to struggle, one of their players scores a world class goal. That's pretty much on point I think, they just have unbelievably talented players in almost every position who also happen to have the right mentality - and I think that this mentality has something to do with the club's culture. Especially players like Ramos or Marcelo who came to Real when they were really young will probably have soaked up this attitude. And Cristiano with his drive and determination is the perfect fit. And this mentality again keeps the backs of their highly creative forces like Modric, Kroos and Isco free.

Besides that, their management has really understood the modern game. They hire the perfect players for their systems. The Galacticos times are gone, they don't buy names but footballers who fit in. Especially their midfield transfers are absolutely on point. It almost seems like they tried to copy the Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets midfield with Kroos/Modric/Casemiro respectively Isco/Kroos/Modric.
People used to say that the attack wins you games and the defense wins you titles but I think nowadays it is the midfield who does it. And with Kroos, Modric, Isco, Casemiro, Kovacic and Ceballos Madrid is easily the best squad in the world with quite some distance. Apart from Ceballos, probably each of these players would walk into any other team in the world (except for Kovacic in City, maybe).

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Whats the secret? Ronaldo.
This, without Ronnie they would have never won so many.

Look at ronnies form and real madrids form at the start of the season.

Ronnie is in decline so it hurt Real.

They will dump him now for a new shiny toy.

darko

So that is 3 on the trot, 4 in the last 5 seasons that is more than United have done in their history. 13 in total, 6 more than the next best AC Milan and 8 more than team's that play Champions League on a regular basis. 8 more than the best English team and a whole 10 more than United. What makes Real Madrid so bloody good in Europe.
Fascism.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team

You know that apart from Bale and Cristiano (Madrid paid €100 and €90 mil. respectively for them) their most expensive player they have bought in all their whole squad was Benzema, and they only paid €35mil. for him??
You are aware that Real Madrid broke the world transfer record four times, presumably?

You are aware that the Spanish government bought Real Madrid's training ground to bail them out of a massive debt, presumably?

You are aware that when they initially assembled the so-called BBC strikeforce that it was by far the most expensive in the history of football, presumably?

The reason that they've signed loads of young players is that they can sign anyone in the world, basically anyone will go to Real Madrid at any age, so they hoover up as many of the world's young players as possible.

They would have signed de Gea for mega money if they could. They would sign Neymar for mega money if they could.

Wait and see what they do when Ronaldo leaves imminently, Modric is past his best now, Ramos and Marcelo are the wrong side of 30, Bale is leaving, etc.

Do you think they'll rely on youth players? They are going to splurge a sh*t tonne of money. As any big club would. As Barcelona did when they sold Neymar.

marktan

They have a world class player or very near to world class player in every position on the pitch, and a stacked bench.

It took them many years to build that though, starting from 2009 with the signings of Ronaldo and Benzema (with Ramos, Marcelo and Pepe already there), and culminating around 2013 with the signings of Kroos, Modric and Bale. Pretty much all their top players are reaching the wrong side of 30 though so I do expect a drop-off in 2-3 years time.

For us we need to be targeting, young, top talent that can branch into world class.

Romez

Signing one of the best footballers of all time and signing their own versions of Xavi and Iniesta in Modric and Kroos.

Jojo <3 Mou

I think Real Madrid deserve their success, it has taken a lot of time money and effort to get here.

In 2008-09s, the had to see their enemies being successful and they found their own solution, spending big again....and there was no immediate success. It took a while for Florentino's investments to tell. No one will remember the fight that Perez got when Mourinho couldn't win the CL.

Their recipe for success has been a combination of: investments, good players, a good manager, a responsible board, not being afraid to try new things (managers/players) and luck.

Suprisingly, their League record is still really poor though. Only 2/10. I wonder if it bothers them that they haven't been doing well in La Liga.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think Real Madrid deserve their success, it has taken a lot of time money and effort to get here.

In 2008-09s, the had to see their enemies being successful and they found their own solution, spending big again....and there was no immediate success. It took a while for Florentino's investments to tell. No one will remember the fight that Perez got when Mourinho couldn't win the CL.

Their recipe for success has been a combination of: investments, good players, a good manager, a responsible board, not being afraid to try new things (managers/players) and luck.

Suprisingly, their League record is still really poor though. Only 2/10. I wonder if it bothers them that they haven't been doing well in La Liga.
I'm sure 4 CL's in 5 years eases the pain. :lol:

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Their squad has been relatively settled over the last five years. Indeed some players are at the club over 8 years. Ramos (2005), Marcelo (2006), Ronaldo (2009), Benzema (2009). Plus Carvajal (2013), Varane (2011), Modric (2012), Kroos (2014) and Isco (2013) have in addition to the players mentioned earlier all played over 100 games for RM. Navas (2014) and Casemiro (2013) have 90+ league games played. All the aforementioned players started last night. Add in players of the quality of Bale, Asensio, Vasquez, Kovacic and you have the recipe for a strong and ultimately successful squad. None of the lineups of RM's last three in a row side were brought to the Bernabeu by Zidane. Indeed Zidane let Morata and Danilo move on permanently last summer. He has also loaned James Rodriguez to Bayern. Coentrao is on loan at Sporting.
Of the starting lineup all were 25 or younger when first signed for RM Ramos (19), Marcelo (20), Ronaldo (24), Benzema (22), Carvajal (21), Varane (18), Kroos (28), Isco (21), Casemiro (21) with Modric (27) and Navas (28) being notable exceptions. They have generally got their recruitment spot on. However now they are at the point where they need to rebuild the first team again based on the lineup last night having an average age of 28.7. Six of the lineup are 29/+.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How they won the titles? After the Stanford Bridge Scandal? Bernabeu Scandal? Arsenal's Scandal?! :houllier:

Really??! Asensio = €3.5mil. Kroos = €25mil. Marcelo = €6.5. Varane = €10mil. Casemiro = €6mil. Isco = €30mil. Vasquez = €1.5mil. Benzema = €35mil. Kovacic = €30mil. Ceballos = €16.5mil. Carvajal = €6.5mil.

Barca better than Real?!

Of course!! Specially because they had been eliminated of the UCL on quarterfinals in 4 of the last 5 seasons and Madrid won the final in that 4 seasons...

Really?! Look up I posted what they spent in more than half of his team.

Hahahahaha oh my God! :lol::houllier:

Or that from their squad, Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo, Casemiro, Isco, Benzema, Asensio, Vasquez, Kovacic, Ceballos, Llorente, Vallejo, Luca, Archraf, Mayoral, Nacho and Theo Hernandez (19 out of 25) were bought when they where 21 or younger??

And that from all that youngsters they developed, Carvajal, Ramos, Isco, Asensio, Vazquez, Ceballos, Llorente, Vallejo, Nacho and Mayoral are Spanish??

Please, connect your brain to your fingers before writting all that shite!
Cough.. inflation.. cough

Our whole squad of the 1999 treble is probably worth one ronaldo. We win! Hurray

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
A core consisting of experienced and brilliant guys like Carvahal, Ramos, Marcelo, Kroos, Casemiro, Modric, Ronaldo and Benzema with excellent rotation players like Asensio, Bale, Isco, Kovacic and Vazquez.

That, and of course a lot of knowhow in actually winning the thing. I’m not buying in to the idea that they’re lucky. If you win the CL 4/5 times, you’re just the best at it.