What’s the reasons for keeping Ole?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
No one has a crystal ball but in the aggregate, past-performance is an indication of future performance.

In practice you use these factors to set and play the odds.

That's not "dumb". You are a gambling man it seems and so you already know this.
Well like I said in the case of LvG, Mourinho, Ranieri, Emery etc. that isn't necessarily true is it? It's only really worked with those managers who will only rotate between the Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, City, PSG type clubs of this world as well. There's no such thing as a banker.

If we were halfway through the season and still shite, I could understand people's concerns about Ole. But we haven't even started yet. That's all I'm saying. The Arsenal fans have had a full year to assess whether Emery will be a success or not. They had that 22-game unbeaten run, were full of it and singing his praises.....then went to shit and now they're pissed at him....the Master of the Europa League!

JonDahl

So we ignore what happened before?
Yes that’s what this whole thread is about. Ignore any good or positive or just basic common sense and focus entirely on the negatives. Bringing these points up is a waste of time because the glory hunters ignore them and keep shouting the same old, same old. One bad run of form is enough to get a manager sacked for a shiny new toy. Then when he goes on one bad run they’ll want another. You can’t reason with these people.

JonDahl

Think he is highlighting the insult part.
That’s not really an insult is it?

Jesus wept these people are soft - and then to have the cheek to tell people to grow up after reporting a post on an Internet forum and being proud of it. :lol: The irony.

AJ10

Yes that’s what this whole thread is about. Ignore any good or positive or just basic common sense and focus entirely on the negatives. Bringing these points up is a waste of time because the glory hunters ignore them and keep shouting the same old, same old. One bad run of form is enough to get a manager sacked for a shiny new toy. Then when he goes on one bad run they’ll want another. You can’t reason with these people.

Jesus wept these people are soft - and then to have the cheek to tell people to grow up after reporting a post on an Internet forum and being proud of it. :lol: The irony.
:lol: Pointing out illogical part is considered an insult, not sure what that other person posted as i've block him or her.

Enigma_87

You know who

Not really. There are rules that you agreed upon registering this forum.

We can all call each other hate words. I can call him the same way to respond in the same way, would that do any good?

If you don't want to read this thread there is ignore function.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I don't know what was the context, I was just saying what that post was meant for.

I wanted to read the whole conversation but it was boring as it was something that was done so many times already with same points. I had same argument with @Enigma_87 just a month or 2 back and IIRC I had same argument with someone else too later.

It's just the same arguments and posts in different threads.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't know what was the context, I was just saying what that post was meant for.

I wanted to read the whole conversation but it was boring as it was something that was done so many times already with same points. I had same argument with @Enigma_87 just a month or 2 back and IIRC I had same argument with someone else too later.

It's just the same arguments and posts in different threads.
I don't think we called each other dumb or morons though. So far only on the last page AJ has done it in multiple posts. I've received infractions in the past for use of strong words, so I don't see why not mods shouldn't use the same criteria.

Peter10giggsy

Anyone remember when Fergie took over?
United was not good back in 1986, and people talk about sack Fergie. It will take time to build up a wining team again.
Let us see what Ole can do.

Glideman

Until December no one is going to be sure if Ole will or will not be a success, so what’s the point of these threads when we know United won’t sack him now...

soaphroniscuss

Well like I said in the case of LvG, Mourinho, Ranieri, Emery etc. that isn't necessarily true is it? It's only really worked with those managers who will only rotate between the Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, City, PSG type clubs of this world as well. There's no such thing as a banker.

If we were halfway through the season and still shite, I could understand people's concerns about Ole. But we haven't even started yet. That's all I'm saying. The Arsenal fans have had a full year to assess whether Emery will be a success or not. They had that 22-game unbeaten run, were full of it and singing his praises.....then went to shit and now they're pissed at him....the Master of the Europa League!
In the aggregate it is.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think we called each other dumb or morons though. So far only on the last page AJ has done it in multiple posts. I've received infractions in the past for use of strong words, so I don't see why not mods shouldn't use the same criteria.
Yeah, don't remember calling any names. For a long arguments it was in good spirits from what I remember.

soaphroniscuss

Until December no one is going to be sure if Ole will or will not be a success, so what’s the point of these threads when we know United won’t sack him now...
So OP will know how many chairs to set at the peppered crow banquet.

TsuWave

watching Liverpool win the CL and then realising this guy is our manager...:(

grim stuff, man. had an awful morning.

fastwalker

watching Liverpool win the CL and then realising this guy is our manager...:(

grim stuff, man. had an awful morning.
I think there is a lot of that going about this morning. In many ways I am really sorry for Ole because Klopp's success has piled pressure on him. Even if we don't intend to, the frustrations being expressed on this thread, particularly this morning, at least to some extent reflect some element of doubt that Ole is the right man for United. I would be lying if I do not myself have that nagging doubt, even though I think we should give him a chance.

I think the biggest challenge for Ole is that I cannot see United fans putting up with too much more of seeing our rivals carry off the main prizes, whilst we are taking one step forward and two steps back. There is perhaps a greater level of tolerance for City's success, but Liverpool? No, I cannot see it at all. Seeing Liverpool reach and win another Champion's League final next year, whilst we end up trophy-less, yet again, would be a bit too much for me to cope with to be honest.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
My inner cynic is increasingly of the opinion that the Glazers are looking to penny pinch before selling the club, and Solskjaer has been brought it as a 'yes man' puppet to placate fans while that happens.

I'm very much of the opinion that this transfer window will more or less confirm that theory.

Our team is so blatantly in need of proper investment that failure to do so - along with the (imo) laughable appointment of an almost surreally 'nothing' manager would, for me, be pretty clear that they're looking to feck off...

Hopefully if that's the case, they do it soon, so an ambitious owner can come in and awake this sleeping giant of a club.

padzilla

Hipster
I am really worried that Ole Gunnar Smithers is just a yes man who has been hired to keep the fans onside while the Glazers just gradually reduce the status of the club by reducing spending.

Rista

The reason we're keeping Ole is because we rushed into a big decision for no reason and not only would look like mugs sacking him but it's pretty much too late now to find the right man too.

He deserves that one season to show what he can do, fair enough. What worries me is that our standards seem to have fallen too much. People are saying we're not getting into top 4 and somehow they're okay with that even though we finished 2nd last year under Mourinho and weren't exactly thrilled about it. I fear we will hold onto Ole for too long, even if it becomes clear it's not working out. There are people who to this day think Moyes should have been given more time. It's going to be a lot worse with Ole if he under performs.

Bestietom

This is the Month. Let's see what type of player comes and goes and we will then have an Idea of where we are going.
Ole took over a bad situation with a dressing room that was not good imo. Now he and Phelan and the rest of the team will have to put it right. Give them that chance at least.

Celoti23-81

Well, if we sell Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea, we will probably end up with a worse team that finished the season. Those last 12 games didn't really give the impression of a manager/coach who can make a team better, let alone the tactics! That Cardiff game was a tactical disasterclass not a fitness issue as he alluded to after!

Champagne Football

I’m actually confused as to why as one of the biggest club in the world we’re about to meander into another season with:

Lack of confidence

Poor form

Too many average players

No sense of a style for the team being imposed

Why are we backing Ole to turn this around when we finished the season so poorly? Are we really going to trust a novice manager with rebuilding just because he used to play for us?
Look at Ajax. Put a nobody in charge of the team who understood the philosophy/tactics of the club. Signed all the best young players around and developed them carefully.

The board want to try and mimmick that and it's the right way forward. Even if Ole fails for top 4 a year from now and ends up getting the boot, who knows? Maybe by the Daniel James will be the new Jadon Sancho. Maybe Nathan Collins will be the new De Ligt. Maybe McTominay will be a bona fide starter. Maybe Greenwood will be the new Kane. Maybe Rabiot will be twice the player of Pogba even though we got him for nothing. And maybe just then, managers like Pochettino/Marco Rose etc will see the potential and fancy taking us to the next level.

tonnas

I think it was a rushed decision but I dont the Glazers//board are penning pinching. This summer will have a big say on that!! Problem is many of us love OLE but dont believe he will win a big one

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
My inner cynic is increasingly of the opinion that the Glazers are looking to penny pinch before selling the club, and Solskjaer has been brought it as a 'yes man' puppet to placate fans while that happens.

I'm very much of the opinion that this transfer window will more or less confirm that theory.

Our team is so blatantly in need of proper investment that failure to do so - along with the (imo) laughable appointment of an almost surreally 'nothing' manager would, for me, be pretty clear that they're looking to feck off...

Hopefully if that's the case, they do it soon, so an ambitious owner can come in and awake this sleeping giant of a club.
I really would like to believe this but I think it's probably too optimistic a view on the Glazers mind-set. They have not done anything to prove they are savvy enough businessmen to the same degree their piece of shit father was.

I think they'll take the Arsenal approach with us and keep pushing for occasional top 4 finishes, as we are their golden goose and are a lot more resiliant of a brand than Arsenal are.

Thiagoal

I sometimes think that our fan base has forgotten the steaming pile of horse manure that was served up for the first half of last season. The fact Ole managed to to turn the ship around at all- early on- was nothing short of miraculous. We have a team full of individuals (Pogba, Martial, Lukaku, Rashford, Lingard, Alexis etc) that appear to only like being here due to the social media followers it garners them and the extortionate wages they receive which are wildly out of proportion to what they actually add to the team.

Ole has said all the right things, he knows what it takes to get United playing as a functioning team and he needs our fan base to get behind him as much as possible while he attempts to get us back on track.

Also, I don't by this BS theory that it's all the Glazers fault by tightening the purse strings! We have spent way more than fecking Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal since SAF retired (transfer fees and wages) but brought in mercenaries that don't give a toss rather than young players that will fight for the cause!

Glideman

Well, if we sell Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea, we will probably end up with a worse team that finished the season. Those last 12 games didn't really give the impression of a manager/coach who can make a team better, let alone the tactics! That Cardiff game was a tactical disasterclass not a fitness issue as he alluded to after!
Those players haven’t left and I don’t consider Lukaku a great loss either.

Yes the last 10 games wasn’t great and everyone is right to worry but he also played good stuff as well (whether you like to admit or not I saw a clear style he was trying to achieve).

Look neither one of us knows what’s going to happen in the new season, he could be amazing or it could be a disaster but until that happens I’m not going to crucify one of our and a club legend on a forum day in day out for things beyond his control.

At least wait till the new season before you trash a club legend.

fastwalker

Yes this is true, but investment in the team is not the problem at United. United have invested c£700m on new players (gross) over the past six years. We are also the highest payers in the Premier League. The problem is not lack of investment it is unwise and careless investment. Players such as Di Maria, Falcao, Depay, Blind, Schneiderlin, Lukaku, Sanchez and even Pogba have failed to deliver value for money. We are simply wasting money and failing to do the due diligence required in the transfer market. We have bought players without giving any real careful thought to their development or deployment, it is obvious.

Contrast that with City and Liverpool, both of who have also invested heavily in transfers. Not a single City player has cost more than £60m and many of those that they have brought in have proved to be good buys. Likewise, Liverpool have done amazing business and their manager has been able to turn average players in to good ones and good ones into great ones. We laughed at Liverpool when they bought Van Dijk for £75m and now he has likely doubled in value and is likely to be in contention for the ballon d'or. We cannot even get so-called 'great players' to perform at their level. It is a shambles.

I have said in other threads that though I have concerns about Ole, I think he ought to be given a chance. Time will tell whether or not he is indeed up to the job, but he should be given at least until December to prove what he can do.

Eriku

I am really worried that Ole Gunnar Smithers is just a yes man who has been hired to keep the fans onside while the Glazers just gradually reduce the status of the club by reducing spending.
When MUST and Eric Cantona were having a pop at the selling of the club to the Glazers, Ole was the only person active in the club to speak up.

I reckon Ole's loyalties lie with the club first.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
And yet SAF, Sir Bobby and “several other senior figures” wanted Moyes. And Solskjær.

How’s that working out for us?

All this talk about “employing big managers didn’t work for us, so let’s hire someone inexperienced!” is complete rubbish. Absolutely absurd. Do you think Real Madrid think like that? “Oh, we spent big money on this guy and he flopped. I guess we won’t buy big anymore and just promote young kids and hope for the best!”

feck no. They have ambition and we clearly do not. That’s why they sacked 2 managers last season when the results weren’t coming. We apparently can’t do that cause Ole needs 3 transfer windows to “sort Mourinho’s mess”... cause Mourinho bought Young, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Lingard, Herrera, Mata, Pereira, Martial and Rashford... right?

Oh wait. He wasn’t allowed to get rid of half of those and buy actual good players like Sandro, Perisic, Alderweireld and Mandzukic. Now try and convince me that those four players wouldn’t have been an improvement on what we have.

I’m sick of people saying that’s a Mourinho team when it’s far fecking from it. He had a back four of failed wingers and CB’s from Ferguson’s era for fecks sake.
My God, are there still people defending Jose, that's the very definition of being slow on the uptake :rolleyes:

Class of 63

Sourness
I read but bad crap but this :lol::lol::lol:. Not the man to ripped out our spine, wiped out the winning mentality, gave us Fellaini, made us feel like Everton, 6th place! Aspired to be like city who had ONE Premiere League trophy. Eejit.
Just put I read but bad crap but this in Google and it said wtf are you talking about :lol:

Not a fan of David Moyes then?

AaronRedDevil

Just put I read but bad crap but this in Google and it said wtf are you talking about :lol:

Not a fan of David Moyes then?
You know what I'm saying, you moron. Don't be cheeky, where's the part I'm wrong about what I've said. I shouldn't feed the trolls. But I just can't ignore some of the stupid crap people post:lol:.

lysglimt

Scout
United was not good back in 1986, and people talk about sack Fergie. It will take time to build up a wining team again.
Actually the "sack Fergie" part came much later.

The 87/88 season was actually surprisingly good and we ended 2nd. But that was with a team of aging and injury-ridden players, and it was Strachan, Robson and especially McClair who did 80% of the work. McClair and Robson alone scored half of our goals. Defensively we struggled with Gibson who was injured a lot, McGrath who was injured a lot and Kevin Moran and Viv Anderson who were both about 32 when the season ended. In addition we had a 30 year old Mike Duxbury. Add to that - Gary Walsh and Chris Turner sharing the goalkeeping responsibilities, neither were good enough.

In midfield we had a 31 year old Robson, a 31 year old Strachan, Norman Whiteside who missed a lot of matches due to injuríes. Remi Moses who missed even more matches due to injuries. To partner McClair up front we had Peter Davenport.

I would say this team reminded me of the Leeds-team that won the League a few years later. A lot of good but aging players who came together for one last effort - and everything fell into place for one season....Before everything fell to pieces the season after.

The 88/89 season was quite ok for 2/3 of it, before everything collapsed from mid-february and United won 3 of their last 13 matches. But this was a very strange season where McClair who scored 24 goals the season Before, had to play in midfield for huge parts, simply because we didn't have any other midfielders than Robson available. Whiteside played 6 games all season, Strachan 21. And just to sum up how bad it was - United had 5 outfield players who appeared in 25 matches or more all season. Hughes, Bruce, Robson, McClair and Donaghy. 4 of those players were signed by Ferguson.

So Ferguson wasn't that popular before, but it was in the middle of the 89/90 season after spending £7 million on Pallister, Webb, Wallace, Ince and Phelan it all exploded. United got off to a dream start when they destroyed Arsenal at O.T with 4-1 - then Webb got injured for 5-6 months and the results went up and down like a yoyo. We beat Millwall 5-1 and got hammered by City the week after, but in october/november things gradually improved and we won 4 out of 5 matches and climbed up the table. Things were looking up - before everything fell apart for 2 months when we went 11 League-matches in a row without a win.

And as I recall - it was the homegame against Palace where Nigel Martyn made his debut I (think) where the first real shouts for Fergusons sacking came. We were 1-0 up at halftime, and it could have been 5. But in the second half, Palace equalized and we collapsed - and Palace also scored the Winner.

crossy1686

career ending
Also worth remembering that Fergie was sacked by St Mirren in 1978. They said he "neither by experience nor talent, had any managerial ability at all".

Safe to say, some people don't know what they're talking about. You give a manager time to build his own squad and anything can happen at that point, this forum would do well to remember that as Pochettino and Klopp move into their 4th years as respective managers and play in a CL final.

Class of 63

Sourness
You know what I'm saying, you moron. Don't be cheeky, where's the part I'm wrong about what I've said. I shouldn't feed the trolls. But I just can't ignore some of the stupid crap people post:lol:.
That's charming innit, some of us were intelligent enough to know that whoever replaces the great SAF was on a hiding to nothing so cut him some slack. And then there's people like you. x

shaky

Also worth remembering that Fergie was sacked by St Mirren in 1978. They said he "neither by experience nor talent, had any managerial ability at all".

Safe to say, some people don't know what they're talking about. You give a manager time to build his own squad and anything can happen at that point, this forum would do well to remember that as Pochettino and Klopp move into their 4th years as respective managers and play in a CL final.
Ferguson wasn't sacked from St Mirren because of his ability, despite what a random reddit article might have you believe. He was sacked because he had already made his plans to move onwards and upwards, to Aberdeen.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/may/31/manchesterunited.stmirren