What’s your single footballing high point since Fergie retired?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Europa league final ie the one Mou won for us not the one Ole bottled

Lentwood

It's sounds daft, but I haven't been that bothered about any of the trophies we have won, since they have tended to be won against a backdrop of mediocrity and/or failure.

For example, winning the Europa League means you have failed to qualify for the knockout stages of the CL (or the competition altogether) and LvG was sacked about a week after we won the FA Cup. I was at the League Cup final when we beat Southampton, and it was a good day out, but again, we were outplayed at times and it just felt a bit hollow, getting overly excited about scraping past a mid-table team in a League Cup final.

I did enjoy that period of games under LvG when we beat City, Tottenham and Liverpool (i think) comprehensively in the space of about three weeks. It wasn't just that we won those games, it was the way we won them. Say what you want about LvG, but I have never before seen United so dominant in games against Liverpool and City as we did at times under him. Even under SAF, those games tended to be frantic. helter-skelter, edge-of-your-seat type encounters.

Also, and I have been critical of Ole lately, but I have enjoyed his management of the club, for the most part, over the last two years. I think fans are very quick to forget how bad we were. Under Moyes, LvG and Jose, that run we just endured was common. That's the first time really we have been embarrassed under Ole. Under Moyes, LvG and Jose, I feared every single game, I could never see us winning, especially if we went a goal down. Under LvG, if we conceded first, it felt like you might as well get up and leave.

So I'll also include Ole's 2-0 victory over City just before lockdown, and the 2-0 away win at the Etihad, because it felt like there was no fluke to either victory and we had started to build a squad genuinely capable of challenging again.

OmarUnited4ever

2 moments in PL I was 100% happy post SAF.

Beating Liverpool at Anfield with Juan Mata's brace, I think 2015.

Beating City at Etihad 3-2, with Pogba's brace & Smalling's winner, 2018

2015's FA cup, beating Everton & Palace in extra time.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
1. Juanfield
2. Paris & getting rid of Moyes

There’s also a special place in my heart for that glorious finish of Liverpool’s title-challenging season with the slip & Crystanbul. I don’t think that anything else not United-related had entertained me this much for a long time — possibly ever. Although Klopp’s title spoils it a bit in retrospect :(

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Surprised to see the win over City before lockdown not getting more mentions. That might be the loudest I've heard OT in years. The whole stadium was singing Ole's name at the end.

Godfather

2016. Best season post Fergie so far and the EL trophy at the end of it.

Then of course Mata's and Pogba's braces against Pool/City and the 2015 FA cup run.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Winning EL under Jose and FA cup under LvG. Trophies are what you remember at the end of the day.

Aside from United, Scotland qualifying for a first tournament in over 20 years since I was a kid at France 98, winning that penalty shootout last year was fantastic.

pacifictheme

Psg away was great, the cup wins too.

England getting to a major final was amazing but ultimately ruined.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Psg away was great, the cup wins too.

England getting to a major final was amazing but ultimately ruined.
Good point. I thought Gerrard's slip, but England losing the final tops that. Thankyou. I apologise for any misunderstanding. Bitter? 1 pint mate, plenty of head!

KeanoMagicHat

I like the examples of Juan Mata at Anfield or Rashford emerging, if people can't see the joy in little moments, goals and games, or a golden month where everything seems achievable, and can only see football as trophies, then why do half the teams in the league bother to show up that will never win a trophy as long as they're there? Half of football is anticipation and believing.

It's sounds daft, but I haven't been that bothered about any of the trophies we have won, since they have tended to be won against a backdrop of mediocrity and/or failure.
I agree somewhat, I enjoyed United winning the FA Cup a lot but then the club ruined the moment a little by leaking news that Van Gaal was going to be sacked for Mourinho literally the same night. It was great to win the Europa League finally, but it was needed because we finished 6th in the league, otherwise Mourinho was getting sacked. I just can't summon up any enthusiasm about the League Cup.

People that say managers getting sacked is the high point, do you even like football? How can your greatest job be seeing a man lose his job, odd.

OleBoiii

On the one hand: there haven't been many high points post Fergie.

But I still find it weird that the EL win is considered the highest point for so many. For me it was more a sense of relief than anything. We finished 6th in the league despite getting Pogba, Zlatan, Mkhitaryan and Bailly for 185 million euros(which was crazy money in 2016). Not getting CL football after all that would have been the ultimate humiliation. It's probably the most nervous I've been before a game. At least post Fergie :lol:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
FA Cup and Europa League were good but they really just saved what were poor league seasons and were hardly classic performances in the final either

My highlight is the run to top of the league last Xmas - the best football we have played since Fergie is undoubtedly under Ole

For individual matches - PSG away and beating City at home last year stand out

OJKernow

Europa League Final - Being out in Stockholm, sun shining, singing and dancing in the streets before a European final. Great memories and a general feeling in the air that this was the start of our return to competing for the big trophies, a lot of excitement for the following season (which of course didn't pan out how we hoped), but that day and night was top.

Paris away, whether you're Ole in or out right now, surely no one can talk down the general excitement and emotion of that night!?

A few results Vs City under all three of our most recent managers, Jesse's winner in the FA Cup final.