What are your Expectations for Next Season?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The difference is that Chelsea and City both sacked their previous managers so clearly they feel the person they bring in will be BETTER. Fergie on the other hand, was not sacked, he retired, and with the greatest respect to Moyes we are not getting someone BETTER, as the person we had previously was the best.

City is questionable, but for Chelsea, getting Jose back is not a transition or a negative, it is a big boost to them and I expect them to be favourites for next year.
Mourinho's current stock doesn't deserve to be so high. He hasn't covered himself in glory this season from a man management or tactical perspective. He leaves Madrid having failed to fulfil his brief - it's indisputable.

As I said above - Chelsea's squad needs a lot of work IMO, and he PL is stronger this time than when he last started here. Last time Chelsea faced a viable challenger for the title under Mourinho (us in 06/07), we saw them off.

Mourinho is a very good manager, and a winner, but his Special One persona is hugely overstated.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
with the squad we have we should be challenging for the title and only be a few points off if we can't win it. Champions League as long as we sort the midfield out at least the Quarter Finals hopefully, you need a bit of luck to win the cups so we would need that still.
Would be nice to get the FA Cup back but priorities still lie in the league first

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I expect us to finish 3rd and go out of Europe at the first knock out stage. Hopefully we'll win a cup though.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I expect us to lift the prem trophy. I really do. I doubt we'll win it with four games left to play, but I won't be surprised if we win it surprisingly easily.

I also expect to the make it to the CL final game. This won't be easy and we'll need some luck, but we have a talented squad, a new manager and we're long overdue for luck to go our way.

I have no specific expectations concerning the FA Cup. If we crash out in the semis, so be it. I would like to see us go into some tiny stadium and be given the game of our lives against shopkeepers and butchers by day, footballers by night -- but of course come out with the win.

I'd love to see us take the league cup. Given the vast wealth of young and fringe team players, I'll put this in the "I expect us to win it" bucket as well.

That's it in terms of results. But what about style of play?

Moyes is built out of the same cloth as Fergie so I don't really expect many differences in our tactical approach to the game. All I can ask right now is that I be allowed deferring on this until after summer procurements have been completed. If, somehow, we do bring in Ronaldo or Bale, our look and shape will be much different than if our one big signing is Fabregas or Modric -- or horror of horrors -- Fellaini.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Mourinho's current stock doesn't deserve to be so high. He hasn't covered himself in glory this season from a man management or tactical perspective. He leaves Madrid having failed to fulfil his brief - it's indisputable.

As I said above - Chelsea's squad needs a lot of work IMO, and he PL is stronger this time than when he last started here. Last time Chelsea faced a viable challenger for the title under Mourinho (us in 06/07), we saw them off.

Mourinho is a very good manager, and a winner, but his Special One persona is hugely overstated.
I don't think that Chelsea's squad needs as much of an overhaul as people say to be honest. They could with one or two defenders and a world class striker, but if you were to add that then they would be more than credible title challengers when you look at the quality within their midfield.

izzydiggler

I suspect that next season we will see a vastly improved/motivated City and Chelsea will be very strong with Mourinho and no doubt some massive investment between both teams. For that reason, even if we had SAF, I'd be wary of the possibility of 3rd, never mind now. Of course, it's just as likely that we win the league but it's going to be a closely fought competition.

As always, as long as we are competitive in every competition, you have to take it but any major trophy will be a success, especially in this time of transition.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I expect us to lift the prem trophy. I really do. I doubt we'll win it with four games left to play, but I won't be surprised if we win it surprisingly easily.

I also expect to the make it to the CL final game. This won't be easy and we'll need some luck, but we have a talented squad, a new manager and we're long overdue for luck to go our way.

I have no specific expectations concerning the FA Cup. If we crash out in the semis, so be it. I would like to see us go into some tiny stadium and be given the game of our lives against shopkeepers and butchers by day, footballers by night -- but of course come out with the win.

I'd love to see us take the league cup. Given the vast wealth of young and fringe team players, I'll put this in the "I expect us to win it" bucket as well.

That's it in terms of results. But what about style of play?

Moyes is built out of the same cloth as Fergie so I don't really expect many differences in our tactical approach to the game. All I can ask right now is that I be allowed deferring on this until after summer procurements have been completed. If, somehow, we do bring in Ronaldo or Bale, our look and shape will be much different than if our one big signing is Fabregas or Modric -- or horror of horrors -- Fellaini.
I like your optimism, I do.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I don't think that Chelsea's squad needs as much of an overhaul as people say to be honest. They could with one or two defenders and a world class striker, but if you were to add that then they would be more than credible title challengers when you look at the quality within their midfield.
I think their defensive options need reinforcing badly - under Mourinho last time, he had a world class combination in Terry (at his peak) and Carvalho. Their current options aren't in the same class.

What's more, their holding midfield options are average - the double pivot is vital in their system, because the front four are all about attack. They need to reinforce their entire spine.

Devil may care

People are talking about other teams starting with a new manager as well as if it is the same as our situation. We didn't just lose our manager in the traditional cycle of football, we have lost an institution, a veritable football God, replacing him is a lot different than the Chelsea revolving door or City replacing a guy most of the players reportedly hated.

I also think people underestimate what Fergie achieved last season with only one top CM and a bunch of off form wingers, not many could have gotten what he did out of such circumstances.

I think Moyes needs a seasons grace, I wasn't in favour of him as our manager but it's done now and we should cut him slack on his first season. As long as he finishes in the top 3 and gets to the knockout stages of the CL I think he'll have done well and set up a foundation to build on for the 14/15 season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not too much to be honest. The way the coaching staff are leaving it may take a season for the team to get used to a new system. CL place and maybe a cup. Will need to see who we sign. If we get a big name that will change my opinion. If it's Hibbert and Anichebe god help us. Only kidding about last bit.

gza the genius

At the minimum you'd expect top 4 in the EPL and get out of the CL group stages, anything less than that is a failure and anything more is a bonus for now.

Moyes should be given some time, I don't expect too much this first season. A lot does depend on transfers as well.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Challenge on all fronts whilst playing good football.

Our business in the transfer market will also determine how we perform next season. If we are able to price away an excellent midfielder along with Bale/Ronaldo we will surely win a trophy or two.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Other clubs hire new managers and expect success, so we should too. That's not to say he's getting the sack if we don't win the league, but we should challenge. Some people seem to view both us getting a manager as well as our rivals getting new managers as reasons why it could be a difficult season. You can't have it both ways.
yeah but both City and Chelsea have: A) more money and B) proven managers at bigger teams with more funds to work with

that's not to say I don't rate Moyes, just that both Mourinho and Pellegrini are "bigger names" for a reason. He might as well surprise us (hopefully) and win the league in his first season, but while we've gone for stability and continuity (not a bad thing, but Moyes does still have a lot to learn especialy in Europe), City and Chelsea have gone for an impactful signing (managers), one that is also proven.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
yeah but both City and Chelsea have: A) more money and B) proven managers at bigger teams with more funds to work with

that's not to say I don't rate Moyes, just that both Mourinho and Pellegrini are "bigger names" for a reason. He might as well surprise us (hopefully) and win the league in his first season, but while we've gone for stability and continuity (not a bad thing, but Moyes does still have a lot to learn especialy in Europe), while City and Chelsea have gone for an impactful signing (managers), one that is also proven.
Exactly. Our current squad aren't much superior to Chelsea and City. If they buy world class players, and we keep on the 'value' policy, there's so much a new manager can do (especially as inexperience as Moyes, on title run). The club and Fergie decided to take on a long run success, so we shouldn't expect a short term result.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Opposition fans have been saying for years that the quality of our squad is questionable and that its the SAF effect that has made us challenge and win ever since Ronaldo left.

This will be a real test for the players to show that they ARE quality, even without SAF at the helm. I expect them to step up to the challenge and give it their best this season.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
This has been done to death since his appointment. We're a huge club and it's an absolute minimum expectation that we must be serious challengers for every competition that we're in.

I don't demand trophies in his first year, that would be harsh IMO.

misterredmist

I suppose a lot depends on what additions / subtractions we have in the squad over the summer, I certainly expect us to compete for the title, along with Chavski and City....

I think Moyes may be keen to win a domestic cup to get the "monkey" off his back of being a major trophy virgin....

don't think we'll cut much in Europe next season, I hope I'm wrong though.....just think we'll still be a bot behind the Germans and the Spaniards

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
A genuine title challenge, and perhaps a quarter final in Europe with one decent cup run would be more than satisfactory. Sure, winning things isn't great but despite this whole 'we have the right to win everything regardless of who's in charge', I'd be very surprised if we ended up topping or even equalling this season's achievements.

Just hope people give Moyes time to get it right, just as Sir Alex did.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I expect we'll play 38 games in the league and a few more between the cups and Europe.

I hope we play good football, the team settles under Moyes and one or two new names and we pick up a trophy.

With all the changes going on both in the PL and across Europe I'm not sure how you can 'expect' anything, City and Chelsea haven't even appoint their managers.

MUFCgal

I hope we mount a serious title challenge, and we're right up there come the end of the season. I'm not suggesting we will win the league or anything, just to give a good showing of ourselves. I'm also hoping for a good showing in Europe, and get to at least the knockouts (last 16/quarters). Winning one of the FA Cup or League Cup would be great.

It would just be great to win a trophy of any kind this season, because people point out how Moyes has never won any trophies. I think any trophy this season would be a good success and something for us to build on with the new manager.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Finish top 3 in the league, put in a title challenge but fall short behind eventual winners Chelsea.
Make it to quarters of the champions league.
Win the FA Cup.
Semis of the Capitol one cup.

The White Pele

Top 3 finish with reasonable title challenge.
Get through the CL Group stage and give a good account of ourselves in the knockouts
Make a serious challenge for the FA Cup

Hannibal

Anything LESS than the TREBLE and I would drive off the Grand Canyon....

We have a very good squad and for once I think Moyes wouldn't toy too much with his selection/tactics like Fergie playing Rafael/JS Park in the midfield. I fancy our chances next season if we can add 2 decent CMs to the squad to fill the void left by Scholes/Fletcher.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
For some reason I expect an FA Cup win.

Not expecting to win the league but as long as we are up there anything can happen.

Europe..well, I'll be amazed if we get out of the group stage in the CL.

finneh

Anything less than a good title challenge and knockout stages in the CL will be a massive failure.

Not fair, but it's a fact.

Even if we achieve both but end up empty handed, Moyes will be under immense pressure. He desperately needs a good 1st season.
Agreed.

To be honest as a first season I think him winning the FA Cup would be a really good achievement (even if we finish 2nd and get knocked out in the CL quarters).

Something Fergie hasn't done in nearly a decade.

binary bot
It depends on who we bring in and let go. If Nani and Rooney go and we don't bring in players that are good enough to fill the void or a top class midfielder then I'll be looking at third as a good campaign.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
My expectations:
Top 2 in the League.
Winning the UCL group and reaching the quarters.
Signing a good Midfielder.
Solving the Rooney issue, if he leaves, getting a big talent to replace him.
Making good use of Welbeck,Cleverley,Fabio,Zaha,Jones and Smalling.

Siorac

For some reason I expect an FA Cup win.

Not expecting to win the league but as long as we are up there anything can happen.

Europe..well, I'll be amazed if we get out of the group stage in the CL.
I hope you're being sarcastic/funny here, Doc.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I hope you're being sarcastic/funny here, Doc.
Not particularly. Moyes has so little experience there. Fergie spent years turning us into a patient team in Europe and it took us far; things have changed a bit and lesser teams really come at us now. I don't have much for expectations in Europe to be honest, it's a difficult competition to win even with Fergie at the helm.

That said, we'll see how Moyes gets the team playing, maybe he'll get us up to a quick tempo, that will change my outlook. They say he's inteligent and has great ideas so I'll be happy to revise my opinion later on.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news

I agree many of the top managers would be able to do what he has done if they received his financial backing. He is in that top bracket but has not done anything since Porto to really distinguish himself.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Challenging for the league (I think Chelsea will win it but a top 3 at worst for us)
FA Cup win - semis would be minimal
League cup win - I think our "2nd" stringers will want to perform to impress Moyes
UCL - QF

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Stability, stability and once more stability for a start.

Silently hoping that new boss will also bring some new, fresh energies with him and we're gonna play more aggressively in all formations. With strong and deep squad, it will be surely possible.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
Top 4, Quarters in Europe and an FA cup would be nice. Jones, Fabio and Smalling having good seasons would be great as well.

Eirik Raude

Expect a trophy of some kind. Either FA Cup, PL or CL. Wouldn't be a bad first season for Moyes if we won the FA Cup, finished top 3 in PL and got out of the group stage in CL.